07-08-2013 11:52 PM
230 123 ...
tools
    Sorry in advance.

I have created a thread that can take the brunt of the religious discussion, such as creationism, evolution, God, Jesus, Santa etc etc etc, so we don't have to worry about derailing any other thread. Ever again.

As difficult as it probably will be, we must attempt to be as civil as possible, so every one of us can enjoy a nice long debate.

*Thank you

Sent from Hotlanta via New Yawk
    Aquila, badbrad17 and zmann like this.
    07-04-2013 11:34 PM
    07-05-2013 12:03 AM
    You are a brave soul, aren't you?

And it's a long weekend to boot, lol.

Sent via Note II
    Aquila and badbrad17 like this.
    07-05-2013 12:16 AM
    I have no opinion at this juncture. Reserving space for the mother of all TL : DR posts.
    msndrstood and badbrad17 like this.
    07-05-2013 12:17 AM
    We can carry that other discussion into here, because it no longer has anything to do with his OP.

msndrstood and Aquila like this.
    07-05-2013 12:19 AM
    We can carry that other discussion into here, because it no longer has anything to do with his OP.

Lol lol lol

Sent via Note II
    07-05-2013 12:28 AM
    I don't know, one of you can say something provoking and see what happens.

Sent via Note II
    07-05-2013 12:29 AM
    I have no opinion at this juncture. Reserving space for the mother of all TL : DR posts.
    :sly:

07-05-2013 12:29 AM
    Turns around, walks out the door, doesn't look back.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-05-2013 01:00 AM
    Do you think Rev. James Warren Jones was responsible for the decline of Kool Aid in the modern world?
    07-05-2013 01:31 AM
    Love is my religion.....and I love Pantera when they get ★★★★★★★ hostile.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    klokateer123 and Aquila like this.
    07-05-2013 01:34 AM
    A contradiction of genesis and reality:

Such as the creation order with Earth being created on day 1, along with "light" and the seperation of light and darkness, which means the earth started spinning - yet the sun, moon, stars (and presumably all the other planets) are not created until day 4. We obviously know that light as we see it is caused by stars, that the earth and everything on it is made out of stardust and that in order for there to be light and/or an earth, the sun and other stars had to already exist in some form. The age of the earth is far younger than the rest of the universe.

Additionally, water and vegetation both exist prior to there being stars, including the sun - an impossibility unless it just means the chemical composition of what would later become each... either way, the matter wouldn't exist yet, water would be infinitely cold and not water and vegetation could not grow. Day 5 has fish and birds, but 6 has land animals. I'm not sure anyone thinks that flying creatures predated land animals and amphibians.

The obvious impossibilities and logistical holes of the first six days, which clearly describe billions of years and are out of order, being human centric and not scientifically based, mean that the biblical scholars that describe it as allegorical are the only ones that have a possibility of being relevant to reality. When the words of bronze age mystics contradict the real world, we need to trust the real world. That STILL doesn't mean God did or did not start it all, it just means that it wasn't in 6 days (days, obviously a concept that follow the sun and earth existing, which is only in the last 1/3rd or so of the universe so far), or that if it was, these are not the events that happened on those "days".

Also, a day at the dawn of earth was not 24 hours, nor was a year 365.25... days. Both the orbit, the tilt and rotation have shifted since then, even since recorded history, and so applying these numbers to bronze age records, without a LOT of calculations, is bound to create some errors.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-05-2013 01:56 AM
    To say nothing of the fact that the elements that exist on Earth are the spawn of an old or second generation sun.

I think that Jesus's main message was love everyone and let them see the love if God through you in your everyday walk.

Pinning down dates in revelations and genesis, counting the hairs of the disciples heads, etc is missing the forest due to the obstructing trees.

<<<Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    Aquila and Slender Troll like this.
    07-05-2013 02:50 AM
    I think that Jesus's main message was love everyone and let them see the love if God through you in your everyday walk.

Pinning down dates in revelations and genesis, counting the hairs of the disciples heads, etc is missing the forest due to the obstructing trees.
    I very much agree with this statement. The reason we have this argument is because of literalists.

If we could make it as simple as:
    I believe in X and I want to be a good person
    I believe in Y and I want to be a good person

That's a hell of a lot of common ground, even if X and Y are opposites and mutually exclusive.
    Johnly likes this.
    07-05-2013 03:03 AM
    I think your x and y's are called the Nicene creed silly.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    07-05-2013 07:32 AM
    Jesus said to stay away from arguments either way because it only creates division which isn't what he wants. That is all. Good day! :-D

Sent from my SGS3 using Xparent blue Tapatalk
    msndrstood, Wiley_11 and Aquila like this.
    07-05-2013 08:39 AM
    Why did God take the chance of leaving Noah if Noah came from Adam too? Wouldn't the result be the same as the first time around?

msndrstood likes this.
    07-05-2013 09:57 AM
    Why did God take the chance of leaving Noah if Noah came from Adam too? Wouldn't the result be the same as the first time around?

Good question, just like God telling Abraham to kill his son. Today if God tells you to kill your child, YOU get life.

Now the question is, when is it God and when is it your messed up pysche?

And why would anyone listened to a disembodied voice to harm their child?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    07-05-2013 10:57 AM
    So since so many derailed my thread with talk of religion, I feel the need to balance things out. So......

Gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay. prop 8. DOMA.

There...now I feel better. LOL
    07-05-2013 05:32 PM
    So since so many derailed my thread with talk of religion, I feel the need to balance things out. So......

Gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay gay. prop 8. DOMA.

lol why can I only hit thanks once?!
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-05-2013 05:34 PM

But i made this thread to help you get that one back on track.

GadgetGator and Aquila like this.
    07-05-2013 05:50 PM
    So my religious questions/things that don't add up to me are:

1. The whole Adam and Eve thing. God is supposed to be all knowing and see ahead, right? Then why wasn't Adam's loneliness foreseen ahead of time? Why wasn't Eve there from the start? Why did Eve have to be made from Adam's rib, when Adam himself was supposedly conjured up out of nothing? If incest is bad, where did their grandchildren come from? And as a side issue...why do men have nipples?

2. The Flood. That whole foreseen ahead of time thing again....why wouldn't God see that mankind wasn't going to supposedly do the right thing? Why would a supreme being feel the need to not only wipe out the problem people in question, but all the little babies and even the animals (excluding the ones on ark)? It makes no sense. That seems like swatting a fly with a nuke. I am sure someone that created everything could be more selective than that. Then we have a situation AGAIN where grandchildren came from only one family? So that's two times that God has resorted to incest? Really? Hmmmmmmmm

3. Prayer -no one answered my question in the other thread, so I will ask it here. If a coach prays that his players do not get hurt, and they still get hurt anyway, what does that mean?
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-05-2013 05:54 PM
    But i made this thread to help you get that one back on track.

And I thank you GREATLY for that! But I couldn't resist having a little fun too.
    Wiley_11 and Aquila like this.
    07-05-2013 05:55 PM
    So my religious questions/things that don't add up to me are:

1. The whole Adam and Eve thing. God is supposed to be all knowing and see ahead, right? Then why wasn't Adam's loneliness foreseen ahead of time? Why wasn't Eve there from the start? Why did Eve have to be made from Adam's rib, when Adam himself was supposedly conjured up out of nothing? If incest is bad, where did their grandchildren come from? And as a side issue...why do men have nipples?

2. The Flood. That whole foreseen ahead of time thing again....why wouldn't God see that mankind wasn't going to supposedly do the right thing? Why would a supreme being feel the need to not only wipe out the problem people in question, but all the little babies and even the animals (excluding the ones on ark)? It makes no sense. That seems like swatting a fly with a nuke. I am sure someone that created everything could be more selective than that. Then we have a situation AGAIN where grandchildren came from only one family? So that's two times that God has resorted to incest? Really? Hmmmmmmmm

3. Prayer -no one answered my question in the other thread, so I will ask it here. If a coach prays that his players do not get hurt, and they still get hurt anyway, what does that mean?
    These very questions got me detention in Catholic School.

And the only answer I got was...

You've got to have faith.

This girl was smarter than that. So I left Catholic School with my parents consent after 8th grade. By that time I had gone to Mass over 2700 times before I was 13.

If answers to my questions ended up in punishment each time I asked, I knew religion was not for me.

For those that love their religion, good for them, but please, please stop trying to convince those of us who don't. I don't bring up the subject unless someone starts up about theirs or how they are going to pray for me, and even then only a few people (my immediate family) knows anything of my beliefs. There is even a group in town (about 10 miles away) that walk around town and stop in front of a person's house that they feel needs to be prayed for. All I can say about that is I'm glad I don't live in town.

And before anyone flames me for these comments, exchange Christians for Muslims or Buddhists etc and tell me how you'd feel if a stranger tried to convince you that your beliefs are invalid. Only they know the true religion and their God is the One True God and you're a heathen and condemned to hell because you won't convert to their religion.

I have heard it all and worse from dyed-in- the-wool Christians.

Sent via Note II
    07-05-2013 06:17 PM
    These very questions got me detention in Catholic School.
    You asked about male nipples in Catholic school? No wonder they punished you! LOL
    msndrstood and badbrad17 like this.
    07-05-2013 06:36 PM
230 123 ...