12-13-2015 01:42 PM
196 ... 5678
tools
    Wait for the next domestic terrorist attack, then praise him as a hero.
    12-20-2013 09:10 AM
    Traitor or not, he confirmed that the government does spy on its own citizens. Something that anyone that is not brain dead of ignorant beyond belief already suspected. Just another straw on the back of the "our government is incompetent" camel.
    Far from incompetent, I would say dangerously overeffective. I think everyone knew of a theoretical capability to do what they are doing, but no one outside of the tinfoil hat circles suspected the magnitude of what they were doing.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.
    12-20-2013 10:11 AM
    Our incompetent government has not prevented one terrorist attack with all the millions of spying on its own citizens.( Boston) We have the right to our privacy without some incompetent agency spying on our every move. And if there is another domestic terrorist attack I am quite sure there spying will do nothing to prevent it.
    12-20-2013 10:21 AM
    Who's the bigger danger to a Democratic country: a government that spies on its citizens, whether guilty or innocent; or someone who reveals that their government is spying on all of its people?

A democratic government should be as accountable as the people it has been granted the privilege of governing. That is what makes a country democratic - and stronger.

Revealing how a country spies on other, hostile countries, is something different. This makes a country weaker and endangers all of its citizens. That is treason.

Sent from my Nexus 4 with Tapatalk
    12-20-2013 10:27 AM
    Far from incompetent, I would say dangerously overeffective. I think everyone knew of a theoretical capability to do what they are doing, but no one outside of the tinfoil hat circles suspected the magnitude of what they were doing.

How many times do they have to be correct for us to start listening to the tinfoil hat crowd?

Time and time again the government proves that it is not to be trusted, yet life goes on without change. So many are screaming to give the government more power and so few are screaming to hold the government accountable for its actions. This is something the people should have stormed the capital over. This is something that should have called for every person even remotely involved to be trialed for treason. Including every politician that knew of the scope of the surveillance. Yet life goes on and people forget. They are more interested in facebook than the fact that they have 0 privacy. I cant wait for the first person to be trialed for something ridiculous the NSA illegally collected.

"O well your neighbor turns out is a terrorist and we see that you emailed him one time about a "bomb fire" and frequented a site that has a server in the middle east, so we are going to arrest you too."

It is only a matter of time people. Then after that, the data will just be fabricated. There is no means of ensuring the validity of its collection, so how easy is it to just create data and then use it? All it takes is one judge upholding its validity in court and we are screwed.
    Tall Mike 2145 and cdmjlt369 like this.
    12-20-2013 10:32 AM
    How many times do they have to be correct for us to start listening to the tinfoil hat crowd?

Time and time again the government proves that it is not to be trusted, yet life goes on without change. So many are screaming to give the government more power and so few are screaming to hold the government accountable for its actions. This is something the people should have stormed the capital over. This is something that should have called for every person even remotely involved to be trialed for treason. Including every politician that knew of the scope of the surveillance. Yet life goes on and people forget. They are more interested in facebook than the fact that they have 0 privacy. I cant wait for the first person to be trialed for something ridiculous the NSA illegally collected.

"O well your neighbor turns out is a terrorist and we see that you emailed him one time about a "bomb fire" and frequented a site that has a server in the middle east, so we are going to arrest you too."

It is only a matter of time people. Then after that, the data will just be fabricated. There is no means of ensuring the validity of its collection, so how easy is it to just create data and then use it? All it takes is one judge upholding its validity in court and we are screwed.
    Do you feel the same way about Julian Assange?
    12-20-2013 10:57 AM
    12-20-2013 11:13 AM

You still are tried by a jury of your peers. I don't have much concern about being arrested for anything like this. Given that this has been going on for years we have probably already seen the extent of the impact on normal citizens which is actually pretty minimal.

There are a lot of positive things in the Snowden documents: privacy by technical means is still possible, at least from the vacuuming-up-everything level of monitoring that everyone seems most concerned with.

If you are worried about an email incriminating you because the NSA sees it you should be worried either way, the email service providers can just as easily find those incriminating messages (and in fact that is one of the proposals to reduce the NSA's monitoring - push the responsibility to carriers).

12-20-2013 11:15 AM
    Given how frequently charities have been used to transmit money to terrorist organizations in the past, it's not too hard to believe any organization moving significant money to the middle east or Africa for any reason would be monitored.

That isn't too much of a shock and within what I think NSA responsibilities are.

12-20-2013 11:20 AM
    I honestly have very little opinion about his or Snowden's actions. They each had their own motives. I am not sure we really know those motives yet. Not really anyway.

What i do have a strong opinion on is everyone that is making this surveillance possible while knowing well and good that it is wrong. The manhunt for Snowden is quite frankly a distraction from the real story. After they no longer need that distraction, no one will hear from Snowden again. I will let you fill in the blank as to why.
    12-20-2013 11:28 AM
    And I still think he's a hero because of why he did what he did and what has now come of what he did.
    he let the people know what the government is doing without their knowledge. i agree with you.
    Posted from my HTC One
    12-20-2013 12:51 PM
    Traitor or not, he confirmed that the government does spy on its own citizens. Something that anyone that is not brain dead of ignorant beyond belief already suspected. Just another straw on the back of the "our government is incompetent" camel.
    as if we didn't know this was already going on.
    Posted from my HTC One
    12-20-2013 12:53 PM
    I lean towards hero on this one. Coming from a background that includes a government extermination order, I am rather convinced that any act of Government is a thinly veiled attempt to screw one person to help another.
    So, I say good on you Ed.
    12-20-2013 01:50 PM
    I lean towards hero on this one. Coming from a background that includes a government extermination order, I am rather convinced that any act of Government is a thinly veiled attempt to screw one person to help another.
    So, I say good on you Ed.
    A government extermination order, eh?

12-20-2013 01:57 PM
    Coming from a background that includes a government extermination order,
    Guys! He has been right here on android central all along! Stop following up on Coast 2 Coast listeners and GET HIM!

Macktion likes this.
    12-20-2013 02:01 PM
    If you are worried about the NSA then, you are really going to freak out about the cop who lives next door...

ACLU: Digital dragnet ensnares millions of innocent drivers - NBC News.com

Sent via Note II
    why can't i get those on my cruiser
    Posted from my HTC One
    12-20-2013 04:27 PM
    I was kind of torn on them until I saw a report on TV last night showing that not only do they capture your plate and match it up with a crime database (I am fine with that part), BUT that each time they do so, they take a photo of your car. It was shown that someone could bring up a photo gallery history of each and every place that car had been at the time of scanning. In one case it even showed a photo of a guy and his little daughter getting out of their car in their driveway. Now, if the police were standing outside your house and taking photos of you and your elementary school aged daughter and your house and car, would that be okay to you? Would that be a little creepy? It seems creepy to me.
    yeah it is creepy
    Posted from my HTC One
    12-20-2013 04:32 PM
    Wait for the next domestic terrorist attack, then praise him as a hero.
    Did he convince the NRA to **** (lol, they censor bu++ here?!?! Really? ) out of Congress' legislative process on gun control?

I think he's doing the job that the media used to once do. Instead our media is more concerned with what happened on the Voice the other day.

You still are tried by a jury of your peers. I don't have much concern about being arrested for anything like this. Given that this has been going on for years we have probably already seen the extent of the impact on normal citizens which is actually pretty minimal.

There are a lot of positive things in the Snowden documents: privacy by technical means is still possible, at least from the vacuuming-up-everything level of monitoring that everyone seems most concerned with.

If you are worried about an email incriminating you because the NSA sees it you should be worried either way, the email service providers can just as easily find those incriminating messages (and in fact that is one of the proposals to reduce the NSA's monitoring - push the responsibility to carriers).

Unless they decide to do the "drone you first ask questions later" or they decide to just send you to Gitmo.....
    12-20-2013 06:37 PM
    To those who say he's a traitor because he's let our enemies know what and how we're doing it, I'm certain they already know. And even if they didn't, consider a few things...

The U.S. is in the crosshairs of groups which we helped start back in the 1980s. Moreover, they're pissed with us because we've been fscking with their countries' and regions' affairs since the 1950s. We've toppled governments and leaders, helped kill their people, and generally screw up their lives even going back as far as the 1940s when we helped Europe carry out its own "get rid of the Jews" policies by aiding the forceful occupation of what once was Palestine and evicting its own "citizens".

In other words, the history behind this is all about blow-back.

Also, yes, I think we all get that other countries do the whole spying thing, too. But just because everyone else jumps off a cliff or snorts cocaine doesn't mean we should be doing it, too.

And as for tarnishing our reputation as a country, hey... nobody likes getting caught with their hand in the cookie jar, which is all this is. If a kid is in the proverbial cookie jar and is caught by a cousin, would it be acceptable for that child to lock the cousin up so she can't tell his parents what he was doing? Would it be alright for him to shoot her and bury her so she can't rat him out?

If what Mr. Snowden, Pvt. Manning, or Mr. Assange have done have put our troops our other personnel in harm's way (which I don't believe for a second) them the first question I would ask is, what are they doing there in the first place? Defending America?
    12-20-2013 11:05 PM
    That's the craziest Freudian slip I have ever seen.
    anon62607 and Tall Mike 2145 like this.
    12-20-2013 11:50 PM
    OMG! That was supposed to be the word "rat".

Thanks, btw. I've now fixed it.
    palandri likes this.
    12-21-2013 05:34 AM
    I see nothing......quoting posts is a must.....you must have documentation.....you would make a terrible snowden....

here's a question, do you think Obama will pardon Pvt. Manning, Snowden, or Assage before he leaves office?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
    12-21-2013 07:31 AM
    ....here's a question, do you think Obama will pardon Pvt. Manning, Snowden, or Assage before he leaves office?
    I don't believe that Julian Assange was ever charged with any crime. I think the U.S. was waiting until his extradition to Sweden to charge him and then have Sweden turn him over to the US to face criminal prosecution over WikiLeaks.

I don't think he'll pardon Manning or Snowden.
    12-21-2013 07:47 AM
    Still a traitor, my opinion hasn't changed.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    This administration are about as far from the spirit of 1776 as they could possibly get imo. Whether or not Snowden is a traitor I'm not really arguing, but the Orwellian antics of the government are unethical if not downright criminal. They're an insult and an affront to liberty.

If there was ever a case for "defending against all enemies foreign or domestic" I certainly think domestic applies in the case of the last couple administrations.

I'm not sure what's worse - their corruption or the people who lay down for it or even worse, condone it.
    12-21-2013 08:18 AM
    " Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."
    12-21-2013 08:29 AM
196 ... 5678