07-15-2013 03:31 PM
41 12
tools
    Now I'm not trying to stick up for Walmart blindly. I do have my issues with them and it's no secret that their product quality isn't all that great. I just think a lot of these public outcries against them aren't very sound when you actually think about them.
    So I agree that I think most of the public complaints are emotional, but there are definitely legitimate complaints that those feelings are based on.
    07-11-2013 11:01 PM
    It's just a different business model with different priorities on how to achieve the best position. Costco vs Walmart comparisons are extremely valid, because many in the public are going out of their way to support Costco once they are made aware of it. Is Costco doing everything perfectly? Hell no, they're still there to make a buck. Here is an example of the comparisons though: Walmart vs. Costco: How Do They Really Compare? - Careers Articles
    From all of the comparison ads I have seen in TV with walmart, they only compare themselves to giant eagle. A company that doesn't even come close to offering the level of diverse products that walmart does. I mean walmart is an all in one store, and giant eagle is just a grocery store, with some add ons like delis and baker's at bigger stores. Why compare yourself to a company that isn't even in you retail category?

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    07-12-2013 12:55 AM
    How is this any of Walmart's business? Yes, it's tragic that this happened, but Walmart has no more business telling these factories how to run than they do telling Proctor & Gamble (a major supplier of paper goods in the U.S to grocery stores) how to run their business. Walmart didn't make these factories the way they are. It's not like there was a direct link where Walmart could have known the fire happened and told them to let the people out, and the supervisors say, "As you wish, Master Wall!" Those foreign producers with lax regulations and controlled currencies found they could sell over here cheap with a huge demand, and lots of retailers, big and small, started buying from them. If anything, it's the greed of the factory owners keeping them from increasing working conditions and safety.
    Ah, so you subscribe to the ignorance defense I see. Make as much money as you want and don't worry about the conditions of the people who work there. Maybe they are slaves. But that's okay. Just look the other way. Maybe they are children. Just look the other way on that too, not my problem. Maybe they work in deathtraps...oh well.

That's not good enough. If you are making huge amounts of profit off of other people's work, it should be your responsibility to insure that those people are being treated fairly and safely. If your store is the ultimate destination of the product that you sell, you are in essence, the reason they are working. Just because there is a layer of another company between you, should not absolve or insulate anyone from ensuring that certain conditions are met. Particularly in some foreign countries where rules are lax or non-existant.
    07-12-2013 03:05 PM
    Let them leave. More business for the locals. Walmart made so many of my child hood stores close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Walmart leaving hurts poor and lower income earners more than most people might realize.

Posted via Android Central App
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
    07-12-2013 03:31 PM
    Ah, so you subscribe to the ignorance defense I see. Make as much money as you want and don't worry about the conditions of the people who work there. Maybe they are slaves. But that's okay. Just look the other way. Maybe they are children. Just look the other way on that too, not my problem. Maybe they work in deathtraps...oh well.
    Then where is the outcry over the other retailers that was being supplied by this and other similar factories? It's only Walmart taking the brunt of this. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? And I still stand by my point that it's the factory owners that should have the blame the most, as they were the ones that actually could have made changes. Not Walmart or any other retail chain they supplied.
    07-12-2013 03:41 PM
    Added information - this Walmart is "planned" and doesn't actually exist. So it's theoretical future jobs in construction, cashiers, etc. that are on the line, no one is employed now that is at risk of losing anything should this not happen.
    Fairclough and gollum18 like this.
    07-12-2013 08:45 PM
    I love Wal-Mart! But I also support the little guy! Just bought a new chainsaw at my local hardware store! Nothing says you have to do your shopping there! But they are a lot cheaper! If your only choice was a Chinese tv at Wal-Mart or no tv, I think the decision is obvious!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    07-12-2013 08:53 PM
    I love Wal-Mart! But I also support the little guy! Just bought a new chainsaw at my local hardware store! Nothing says you have to do your shopping there! But they are a lot cheaper! If your only choice was a Chinese tv at Wal-Mart or no tv, I think the decision is obvious!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2
    Did Walmart sell you all of those exclamation points?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-12-2013 09:51 PM
    I really dislike Walmart and avoid it, but not so much for the business practices or prices, but because it is a skeezy place (not sure how to spell skeezy). It's always been a bad smelling, neon light infested hoboville type attraction that reminds you of a horror movie hospital nightmare, so I never liked it. But then I met a prostitute once at Walmart and haven't been back to one since. It was rather traumatizing and in hindsight I should have summoned a manager or the police, but I just left as quickly as possible. I won't even cut across their parking lot to get somewhere next door. Honestly, sometimes I avoid the nearby stores just so I don't see it.
    07-12-2013 09:56 PM
    I know the Wal-Mart's around me are poor quality. Seems like the produce department is very dirty and food spoils quickly. I shopped there for some time because of other options in stores being way over priced but got sick of the quality of food and products from there. Now we have many other stores recently moved in that are challenging them and they have my business for same or cheaper prices and better quality.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-12-2013 10:53 PM
    Then where is the outcry over the other retailers that was being supplied by this and other similar factories? It's only Walmart taking the brunt of this. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, right? And I still stand by my point that it's the factory owners that should have the blame the most, as they were the ones that actually could have made changes. Not Walmart or any other retail chain they supplied.
    There's outcry all the time. Have seen it before with other clothing retailers. And Apple gets dinged a lot for the suicides that were occurring in plants making it's product. And now they are starting to make some products here. Hmmmm...do you think that's coincidental? No...it's in response to the outcries that they are making too many products overseas under questionable conditions.
    07-13-2013 03:35 PM
    Another reason to not shop at Walmart. Haven't stepped my foot in one for a long time and never will for the rest of my life.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
    07-13-2013 04:06 PM
    There's outcry all the time. Have seen it before with other clothing retailers. And Apple gets dinged a lot for the suicides that were occurring in plants making it's product. And now they are starting to make some products here. Hmmmm...do you think that's coincidental? No...it's in response to the outcries that they are making too many products overseas under questionable conditions.
    They're making products here because the US economy is in such rough shape that its actually cheaper. It has nothing to do with altruism.

That also still doesn't change the fact that Walmart doesn't own those factories and cannot make decisions when only a portion of the factory output is their products. In apples case, the factories in question build apple products almost exclusively, so it is much easier to exert pressure on the manufacturer.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    07-14-2013 03:28 AM
    They're making products here because the US economy is in such rough shape that its actually cheaper. It has nothing to do with altruism.

That also still doesn't change the fact that Walmart doesn't own those factories and cannot make decisions when only a portion of the factory output is their products. In apples case, the factories in question build apple products almost exclusively, so it is much easier to exert pressure on the manufacturer.

Totally disagree with your assessment of Apple's motivations. There have been increased calls and criticism for more U.S. workers to be involved. When it comes up at every single press conference and shareholder meeting and is being talked about in the press constantly, well, you have to address it. If your theory was true, then some production would have been moved here long ago as our economy has been in rough shape for quite some time. So, knowing that, you have to ask the question....why now? The answer is pretty clear.

While I agree with you on the shared responsibility thing with Walmart, this is still nothing new for companies. Companies have been sending their people overseas to check on production for as long as they have sent production overseas in the first place. They know when some conditions are bad because their own people have seen it firsthand. They just choose to look the other way and make a profit off the situation instead.
    gollum18 likes this.
    07-14-2013 03:13 PM
    Totally disagree with your assessment of Apple's motivations. There have been increased calls and criticism for more U.S. workers to be involved. When it comes up at every single press conference and shareholder meeting and is being talked about in the press constantly, well, you have to address it. If your theory was true, then some production would have been moved here long ago as our economy has been in rough shape for quite some time. So, knowing that, you have to ask the question....why now? The answer is pretty clear.
    No. You can disagree all you want, but the facts are clear. Production has not moved here because costs were still higher. Now, costs are rising in China, which has forced Foxxconn and other apple manufacturers to open factories in south america and the us. They aren't doing it because of pressure, they're doing it because its cheaper.

While I agree with you on the shared responsibility thing with Walmart, this is still nothing new for companies. Companies have been sending their people overseas to check on production for as long as they have sent production overseas in the first place. They know when some conditions are bad because their own people have seen it firsthand. They just choose to look the other way and make a profit off the situation instead.
    Or, they can't do anything since one factory builds goods for a half a dozen retailers. They could not unilaterally take action that would increase costs for all of them.

07-14-2013 06:45 PM
    No. You can disagree all you want, but the facts are clear. Production has not moved here because costs were still higher. Now, costs are rising in China, which has forced Foxxconn and other apple manufacturers to open factories in south america and the us. They aren't doing it because of pressure, they're doing it because its cheaper.
    Agree on South America but until I see a cost comparison between a U.S. factory and a Chinese factory, I am just not going to be buying that part of things. It's too coincidental too. As well as something that was made a big deal of during Apple's WWDC. It wasn't an earnings call. You just don't call attention to moving of production like that in a non-business related event....on a stage no less...unless there is some other motive.

Or, they can't do anything since one factory builds goods for a half a dozen retailers. They could not unilaterally take action that would increase costs for all of them.
    Any business in that situation would either A) Call attention to the problem with other retailers B) Stop doing production at said factories or both. If they cared about lives more then profits that is.
    07-15-2013 03:31 PM
41 12