07-15-2013 03:31 PM
41 12
tools
    07-10-2013 08:02 PM
    Let them leave. More business for the locals. Walmart made so many of my child hood stores close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    07-10-2013 08:15 PM
    Let them leave. More business for the locals. Walmart made so many of my child hood stores close.

I 2nd that!!

Posted via Android Central App Using My Galaxy S4
    07-10-2013 08:36 PM
    Now if they would only pull out of the USA.
    07-10-2013 08:38 PM
    I really dislike Walmart, but obviously the majority of people are voting with their dollars in favor of Walmart and other businesses with this mentality. That's what they listen to, not complaints... only dollars.
    msndrstood, benhmadison and Somdk like this.
    07-10-2013 08:39 PM

+1 My mother in law lives in northern Minnesota. Once Walmart moved in, all the small businesses in the towns around her closed. All that is left in these small towns are bars. The rest of the towns look like ghost towns. It's really sad that Walmart destroys small businesses.
    msndrstood, benhmadison and Aquila like this.
    07-10-2013 11:04 PM
    I really dislike Walmart, but obviously the majority of people are voting with their dollars in favor of Walmart and other businesses with this mentality. That's what they listen to, not complaints... only dollars.
    As sad as this is to say, it would seem that that old saying still rungs true. "Money Makes The World Go Round".

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-10-2013 11:04 PM
    I agree, let them leave if they want. Walmarts only out for is profits anyway. They destroy local economies as soon as they move in anyway. With their all-in-one Chinese made junk store.

I'm dead serious, we have the second biggest walmart in the country right down the road from us and everything in there is Chinese or imported.

But it really is a shame. I just read an article about walmart firing a worker because she brought in the employee handbook to show her supervisor what they were doing wrong.

benhmadison and palandri like this.
    07-10-2013 11:08 PM
    If only North Carolina did this. Walmart is killing the local businesses.
    palandri and gollum18 like this.
    07-10-2013 11:15 PM
    Over here we only have 2 Big stores, 1 minor one and very few independents. It would be good for independents - over here a coles cant tell you if the fruit is imported or local -_- while the independents know were ALL their stock is from.
    07-10-2013 11:16 PM
    I say let them leave too. It's a free country they can go ruin some other...ahem, I mean build in some other town if they want.
    07-11-2013 01:42 AM
    I like the part that starts around 1:30, "How dare the city dictate to a business what their business model ought to be." Aren't state governments already doing this, and isn't that what the federal government is trying to do in many different businesses?
    07-11-2013 01:59 AM
    I like the part that starts around 1:30, "How dare the city dictate to a business what their business model ought to be." Aren't state governments already doing this, and isn't that what the federal government is trying to do in many different businesses?
    Yes; yes they are. Another way of looking at it is the city is dictating the quality of life it wants its residents to have, etc. and welcoming any businesses that want to operate under those guidelines.
    rexxman and Live2ride883 like this.
    07-11-2013 02:02 AM
    I think the argument is bigger than simply Walmart moving in that drives out other businesses. There is a lot going on economically and politically that limits disposable income that would allow people to keep shopping at smaller stores, but that's another topic of discussion IMHO.

In terms of this current story, I applaud any company standing up to a government trying to force these kind of stipulations on them. I'm not saying we shouldn't have some regulations on working conditions and such, but what gives anyone but the businesses (and maybe the employees) the right to decide how much a particular job is worth? A cashier's job isn't exactly a highly skilled position. Not to mention working for Walmart in a low paying position isn't anyone's idea of a career path. It's good for people just entering the workforce like teens, people wanting some extra part time income and such. As they say, if you don't like the wages, don't work there.

I have been there and worked for them for several years, but I never felt like I was short changed. Yeah, I wanted more and I've gone out and made changes that let me better myself. I didn't complain that I wasn't being paid top dollar for my low skilled labor.
    jdbii likes this.
    07-11-2013 12:30 PM
    I think the argument is bigger than simply Walmart moving in that drives out other businesses. There is a lot going on economically and politically that limits disposable income that would allow people to keep shopping at smaller stores, but that's another topic of discussion IMHO.

In terms of this current story, I applaud any company standing up to a government trying to force these kind of stipulations on them. I'm not saying we shouldn't have some regulations on working conditions and such, but what gives anyone but the businesses (and maybe the employees) the right to decide how much a particular job is worth? A cashier's job isn't exactly a highly skilled position. Not to mention working for Walmart in a low paying position isn't anyone's idea of a career path. It's good for people just entering the workforce like teens, people wanting some extra part time income and such. As they say, if you don't like the wages, don't work there.

I have been there and worked for them for several years, but I never felt like I was short changed. Yeah, I wanted more and I've gone out and made changes that let me better myself. I didn't complain that I wasn't being paid top dollar for my low skilled labor.
    The point of the matter is that walmart is paying workers Below minimum wage. That is why the government had to step in. And it extends beyond simple wages. Walmart is one of the worst abusers of human rights in the world. Just a few months ago, they allowed a factory in bangladesh to burn to the ground. Killing over 100 workers. They wanted to escape the blaze but the supervisors locked the doors and told them to get back to work. Walmart knew of the poor safety vonditions in the factory for months prior to the incident, yet they did nothing. All in the name of big business.

Walmart is one of the largest employers in the world, it's time they started treating their workers like human beings, instead of just a number.

07-11-2013 03:37 PM
    The point of the matter is that walmart is paying workers Below minimum wage.
    No they aren't. And the proposed bill sets a "living" wage specific to one type of business. Two problems I have with that is it's government showing negative bias against one group instead of being fair to everyone and increasing overall minimum wage (and also devaluing higher paid labor), and will increase consumer prices as companies offset the higher labor costs. Those making more than that won't get a raise to keep wages comparable, so how is this nebulous living wage idea supposed work if only a relatively few people get a wage increase but everyone's cost of living goes up? Don't say the stores should just eat the cost, because business economics 101 would tell you that doesn't happen in any business.

Just a few months ago, they allowed a factory in Bangladesh to burn to the ground. Killing over 100 workers. They wanted to escape the blaze but the supervisors locked the doors and told them to get back to work. Walmart knew of the poor safety conditions in the factory for months prior to the incident, yet they did nothing. All in the name of big business.
    How is this any of Walmart's business? Yes, it's tragic that this happened, but Walmart has no more business telling these factories how to run than they do telling Proctor & Gamble (a major supplier of paper goods in the U.S to grocery stores) how to run their business. Walmart didn't make these factories the way they are. It's not like there was a direct link where Walmart could have known the fire happened and told them to let the people out, and the supervisors say, "As you wish, Master Wall!" Those foreign producers with lax regulations and controlled currencies found they could sell over here cheap with a huge demand, and lots of retailers, big and small, started buying from them. If anything, it's the greed of the factory owners keeping them from increasing working conditions and safety.
    07-11-2013 04:19 PM
    The factory is run and owned by walmart, how is it not their business??

07-11-2013 06:01 PM
    Care to provide links/sources on the incident and Walmart's direct ownership of the factory? This is the first I've heard of it and Walmart didn't own any factories as far as I knew.
    07-11-2013 06:19 PM
    Care to provide links/sources on the incident and Walmart's direct ownership of the factory? This is the first I've heard of it and Walmart didn't own any factories as far as I knew.
    Hold on ill get them posted in a second, I support an organization that reports on incident like this, so I get emails from them all the time regarding them.

Edit: it seems walmart did not own the factory, yet they were the main company being supplied by them, and also denied the funding necessary to improve working conditions.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/wo...ire.html?_r=1&

07-11-2013 06:32 PM
    Let me get this straight. People expect Walmart to pay wealthy sweat shop owners to upgrade their sweat shops? People expect Walmart to pay low skilled workers more money than their skill level commands in the marketplace so Democrats can get more votes?
    07-11-2013 07:10 PM
    A lot of that fire story seemed circumstantial. For one, they stated only 5 of the 14 production lines were for Walmart. It seemed like they were trying to hide the retailers supplied by the other nearly 2/3 of the factory, making me wonder if it was more "hip" brands like you'd find at the Gap or something. It wasn't until 3 paragraphs from the bottom they they mentioned Sears and Disney, and even then it seemed more like an after thought. Both very large names as well, so why no outcry against them too? I thought every big business was bad according to how some people talk.

And while Walmart may have had something to do with industry upgrades, or lack thereof, that watchdog group even stated it gave manufactures an excuse to not upgrade and blame it on someone else. That points right back to what I said earlier about manufacture greed.

Now I'm not trying to stick up for Walmart blindly. I do have my issues with them and it's no secret that their product quality isn't all that great. I just think a lot of these public outcries against them aren't very sound when you actually think about them.
    07-11-2013 07:31 PM
    It's just a different business model with different priorities on how to achieve the best position. Costco vs Walmart comparisons are extremely valid, because many in the public are going out of their way to support Costco once they are made aware of it. Is Costco doing everything perfectly? Hell no, they're still there to make a buck. Here is an example of the comparisons though: Walmart vs. Costco: How Do They Really Compare? - Careers Articles
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-11-2013 08:21 PM
    The practices of Walmart that I'm most familiar with that give rise to the loudest complaints are:
    Forcing employees to work off the clock to avoid paying overtime or being required to offer full time benefits.
    Encouraging employees who cannot afford benefits to apply for public assistances, such as medical, food stamps, housing assistance, childcare assistance, etc.
    Varying shift schedules in such a way to where employees have a very hard time attending university with regularity.
    Terminating employees who seek remedies to unfair practices, such as collective bargaining campaigns and/or petitioning management for intervention.
    Unsafe and unsanitary work conditions.
    Predatory zoning practices.
    Dead Peasant Insurance.
    Denying legally required breaks to employees.

Actually this is a tiny part of really long list of things included in class action lawsuits brought to them by former employees. Is every Walmart store like this? Probably not. They're doing what they think makes them the most profitable. But as long as uneducated people throw their money at Walmart for overpriced, inferior products... they're interpreting those dollars as "do more of the same, and better!" Walmart got big by supporting, "Made in the USA" and actually having competitive prices. Now they're supply chains are almost entirely dirt cheap establishments in unregulated countries, brought into dirty stores in high crime areas and many things are more expensive for a similar quality item elsewhere, or cutting quality so much that there is no comparison. Vote with your dollars.
    07-11-2013 08:50 PM
    Just to throw my 2 cents into the bucket. Wal-Mart has always tried to run things their way. In most circumstances they do. However in the state of Illinois where we have strong union labor forces like the heavy equipment operators, teamsters, electricians, etc we all together stood firm ground back years ago when Wal-Mart started building up. It was simple they wanted to build a store in this state it would be done using union labor. Naturally Wal-Mart fought this but the unions ultimately won and we picketed the sites in the early 90's when they tried to do it their way.

So in the end all Wal-Mart's to my knowledge were/are built in the state of Illinois using skilled union labor which is an awesome win for us but the sad part is Wal-Mart operates business as a non union company and in turn many folks are given jobs but at minimum wage scale that drives other businesses out of the area trying to compete. Then you deal with poor service and everything else mentioned in this thread.

Such a shame that a huge company like this has hurt and takes advantage of people. So I'm glad when we at least see some states that are strong union that at least make it difficult for them to build on their terms and give the well skilled trade folks some work in the beginning.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app
    gollum18, Aquila and rexxman like this.
    07-11-2013 09:45 PM
    Walmart is horrible. They kill local buisness and even bigger one's like rubbermaid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-11-2013 10:45 PM
41 12