07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 122123124125126 ...
tools
    I actually read that whole thing, I would like 10 minutes of my life back with that rubbish.
    I liked how they tried to do that assault rate, its momentum was lost after gun laws. Crime platitude than dropped sharply again.
    I suggest you read a non bias site, i've read through their other articles it looks like a joke.
    In Japan, which has very strict laws, only 11 people were killed with guns in 2008, compared with 12,000 deaths by firearms that year in the United States a huge disparity even accounting for the difference in population.
    This actually suggests opposite to some of the data on that website.

Australian Institute of Criminology - Homicide statistics
    Did gun control work in Australia?
    http://andrewleigh.org/pdf/GunBuyback_Panel.pdf
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/op...work.html?_r=0
    Gun control: After Connecticut shooting, could Australia's laws provide a lesson?
    Gun Control in Australia -> I BELIEVE THIS IS US FACT CHECKING SITE!
    How Australia And Other Developed Nations Have Put A Stop To Gun Violence | Business Insider Australia
    Funny how its biased because you disagree with it. You should also read the sources you link to, because they don't say what you think they say. (Some, like fact check, actually say the opposite of what you do)

As has been stated, crime is more complicated than 'the elimination of x caused y'. There are many, many different factors.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-25-2013 02:56 AM
    So your staying, an average of 8 dead year from massacres, mysteriously dropped after gun legislation, because crime as a whole is on the down fall in the world? It just choose that year by lack from having 13 massacres in 18 years to zero in 16 years after. That doesn't seam like the result of crime going down a whole by itself to me.
    Please actually read what's posted. I did not say anywhere that decreasing crime rates alone accounted for that. As a matter of fact, I said exactly the opposite. There is no single factor that will cause a decrease in violence.

08-25-2013 02:58 AM
    So now your saying ever theft should be shot? why don't we chop their hand off while were at it!
    Who said anything about theft/thief? The lady was by herself, in her house with her little children. You think she should've thought this guy's a thief, before a sexual predator or killer? And maybe she should've just handed him a T.V. and a sandwich and he'd be on his way? Seriously??

Live2ride883 likes this.
    08-25-2013 06:25 AM
    I checked the sources were looking over a longer time frame than 4 years and the source was abs which is our government stats and research.

Over here attacking an Intruder straight away would just throw yourself in gaol. Your meant to approach them before so, granted if your holding a weapon when you go for a 'look' your generally treated a lot more harshly.

Trust me, in my suburb ive had a few trespassers. They just enjoyed a 'friendly' (protective of family and anyone introduced with the family but aggressive to anyone jumping the fence) dog sitting behind the fence. On more than once his chased someone from a back to from... Where the fence goes from about 7 ft to 15ft drop and the persons had to jump onto a main Street. (were one a hill, our property is level on the inside but once your over the hence there's a bigger drop)

There are ways to get unwanted to pests out without a gun.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-25-2013 07:36 AM
    I just wanted to stray a bit. Those people that do not know about guns or only think about the dangers of guns, "bad, dangerous, evil" are often the same people that want to save the tree's because of global warming. The funny thing is they typically live around cities where there aren't many trees. I got a bunch of trees but need to get a permit to cut one down that is diseased and pay a fee. Does not matter if it was me that planted it years ago, my mistake for doing so. Does not matter that 70 to 80 percent of oxygen comes from the ocean, not trees. They don't know squat about living in the country and are hypocrites often living treeless themselves but make laws for me.

Myself, I know both guns and trees are good. I can sit on my tree stand and pick off Bambi... Good eating... Yum. But yeah, this is about your rights and freedoms. Guns are not the problem criminals are. Funny thing is the push from anti gun people that most could not survive if the power went out without the convenience of restaurants and open stores for food. Electricity for heat etc. They think they are so smart with their illogical feel good laws. Most of them just live in a bubble surrounded by their own type. Heck trees kill too. They fall over in storms, kids fall off of them, they are dangerous. Chainsaws can save lives too. Ok I am done with my strange rant... Country boy can survive.
    08-25-2013 07:51 AM
    A glimpse of the future.

http://m.nbcnewyork.com/nbcnewyork/p...tguid=1GPtO4QD

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 01:02 PM
    A glimpse of the future.

Sent via Note II
    Not really. An isolated incident is not a glimpse of anything.

Live2ride883 and cdmjlt369 like this.
    08-25-2013 03:21 PM
    A glimpse of the future.

Sent via Note II
    It could've just as easily been knives or socks with rocks in them.

08-25-2013 03:25 PM
    Not really. An isolated incident is not a glimpse of anything.

Wrong. It is a glimpse of something. Maybe the future, maybe not. People with guns, in the public space, using them illegally is hardly isolated, unfortunately.

msndrstood and Fairclough like this.
    08-25-2013 05:03 PM
    It could've just as easily been knives or socks with rocks in them.

But it wasn't.

msndrstood and Fairclough like this.
    08-25-2013 05:05 PM
    Wrong. It is a glimpse of something. Maybe the future, maybe not. People with guns, in the public space, using them illegally is hardly isolated, unfortunately.

It is not a glimpse of anything. Crime happens all the time. Unstable people do not indicate anything, other than that unstable people exist.
    08-25-2013 05:10 PM
    I guess in the NRA world, everyone has a gun and uses it when someone bumps into you on the subway.

When will anyone ever admit that guns aren't the answer to everything?

Nevermind, I know the answer, I don't even know why I asked.

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:14 PM
    I guess in the NRA world, everyone has a gun and uses it when someone bumps into you on the subway.

Sent via Note II
    Who said that guns are the answer to everything? You are demonstrating the problem most people have with gun control advocates. They make these huge leaps and conclusions in discussions that have no basis in reality. No one here has said guns are the answer to everything. Similarly, to try and elevate a random act to something indicative of a greater problem is another unsupported leap not based in reality.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:19 PM
    Thats not what the nra stands for lol to me a southern man i grew up with guns let me explain something to you we love the woods we love hunting we love 4 wheelers we live mudding we live jacked up 4x4 we care not for global warming we sweat our asses off when the feds put restrictions on amo and guns we get pissed off its in the constitution hell i had fun with a 10 gauge shot gun you ever watch that show on history channel sons of guns?? that's the kind if crap we live hell yea baby southern by the grace of god and notice i said live instead of love we live it love it its our life style deal with it take your tree hugging hippie *** somewhere

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    08-25-2013 05:30 PM
    Who said that guns are the answer to everything? You are demonstrating the problem most people have with gun control advocates. They make these huge leaps and conclusions in discussions that have no basis in reality. No one here has said guns are the answer to everything. Similarly, to try and elevate a random act to something indicative of a greater problem is another unsupported leap not based in reality.
    It is your very own Wayne La Pierre who wants everyone armed, I'm not making up headlines here, your guy said it.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2681260

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 05:41 PM

Sent via Note II
    See someone break into your house with a gun i bet you would wish you had one say someone robs you at gun point and shoots you an way wouldnt you like a gun to shoot that *******? Huh say you whitness a crime and they come after you ITS PEOPLE THAT KILL THE GUN IS SIMPLY THE TOOL

08-25-2013 05:42 PM
    Thats not what the nra stands for lol to me a southern man i grew up with guns let me explain something to you we love the woods we love hunting we love 4 wheelers we live mudding we live jacked up 4x4 we care not for global warming we sweat our asses off when the feds put restrictions on amo and guns we get pissed off its in the constitution hell i had fun with a 10 gauge shot gun you ever watch that show on history channel sons of guns?? that's the kind if crap we live hell yea baby southern by the grace of god and notice i said live instead of love we live it love it its our life style deal with it take your tree hugging hippie *** somewhere

Hippy ***?

Your level of education is showing.

Nothing to see here.

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:48 PM
    See someone break into your house with a gun i bet you would wish you had one say someone robs you at gun point and shoots you an way wouldnt you like a gun to shoot that *******? Huh say you whitness a crime and they come after you ITS PEOPLE THAT KILL THE GUN IS SIMPLY THE TOOL

Look dude, you don't know me or anything about me, so you don't know what I'd do now, do you?

You might be surprised.

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:51 PM
    It is your very own Wayne La Pierre who wants everyone armed, I'm not making up headlines here, your guy said it.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2681260

Sent via Note II
    'My guy'? Please post where I have ever supported the NRA. Please post where myself or anyone in this thread said that guns are the answer to all of our problems.

You are demonstrating perfectly the oversweeping generalizations that many gun control advocates make during these discussions.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:52 PM
    Semantically, a glimpse is of something. Therefore, stating it is not a glimpse of anything is incorrect. You may disagree with what it is glimpse of, but it is a glimpse of something. Stupidity, or crime or what have you, it's glimpse of something.

I understand that you don't not agree it is of the future.

msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:57 PM
    'My guy'? Please post where I have ever supported the NRA. Please post where myself or anyone in this thread said that guns are the answer to all of our problems.

You are demonstrating perfectly the oversweeping generalizations that many gun control advocates make during these discussions.
    Did you even read the article? He represents the largest gun rights group in the US. You really should read the article.

I'm hardly making generalizations. I read hundreds of articles every week from numerous news sources, and gun violence is or of control in this country.

I don't have the answers, I never said we have to get rid of all the guns in this country but I do know that everyone running around with a gun isn't the answer either.

Rather than arguing, shouldn't there be a discussion on how to solve the problem?

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 05:59 PM
    Did you even read the article? He represents the largest gun rights group in the US. You really should read the article.

I'm hardly making generalizations. I read hundreds of articles every week from numerous news sources, and gun violence is or of control in this country.

I don't have the answers, I never said we have to get rid of all the guns in this country but I do know that everyone running around with a gun isn't the answer either.

Rather than arguing, shouldn't there be a discussion on how to solve the problem?

Sent via Note II
    You make generalizations. You stated that LaPierre was 'my guy' because I dared to disagree with you. Now you misdirect by ignoring what I actually posted and continue to make a generalization that those that don't agree with you must think guns are the answer to every problem.

You make further generalizations about gun violence, without realizing that it is at its lowest level in quite some time. Same goes for crime.

Generalizations are not a legitimate method of discussion. Perhaps you should stop using them if you wish to continue to discuss this. Until you do, it's pretty much impossible to have a discussion on how to fix the problem, because one side isn't discussing in good faith or with any actual interest in listening to what the other side has to say.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    08-25-2013 06:05 PM
    Semantically, a glimpse is of something. Therefore, stating it is not a glimpse of anything is incorrect. You may disagree with what it is glimpse of, but it is a glimpse of something. Stupidity, or crime or what have you, it's glimpse of something.

I understand that you don't not agree it is of the future.

Saying its a glimpse of something implies that there's something there to glimpse. There isn't. Some nut losing his cool and shooting someone isn't a glimpse of anything.
    08-25-2013 06:07 PM
    You make generalizations. You stated that LaPierre was 'my guy' because I dared to disagree with you. Now you misdirect by ignoring what I actually posted and continue to make a generalization that those that don't agree with you must think guns are the answer to every problem.

You make further generalizations about gun violence, without realizing that it is at its lowest level in quite some time. Same goes for crime.

Generalizations are not a legitimate method of discussion. Perhaps you should stop using them if you wish to continue to discuss this. Until you do, it's pretty much impossible to have a discussion on how to fix the problem, because one side isn't discussing in good faith or with any actual interest in listening to what the other side has to say.
    Then let's discuss specifics.

Should there be background checks for everyone, for every sale? If not, why not?

Edit:
    On second thought, nevermind. This discussion will end up the same place as all the others, no where.

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 06:17 PM
    08-25-2013 06:29 PM
4,617 ... 122123124125126 ...