07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 123124125126127 ...
tools
    And I'm supposed to take that seriously? Liberal loon?

Have I called you guys any names today?

So far I've been called a hippy *** and the interview mentions a liberal loon.

Nice.

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 06:36 PM
    Then let's discuss specifics.

Should there be background checks for everyone, for every sale? If not, why not?

Edit:
    On second thought, nevermind. This discussion will end up the same place as all the others, no where.

Sent via Note II
    Yes. There should be universal background checks for all gun sales.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-25-2013 06:39 PM

See? We can agree about something.

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 06:42 PM
    Saying its a glimpse of something implies that there's something there to glimpse. There isn't. Some nut losing his cool and shooting someone isn't a glimpse of anything.
    "Some nut losing his cool and shooting someone" is what was glimpsed.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-25-2013 07:02 PM
    See? We can agree about something.

Sent via Note II
    I never claimed otherwise. :thumbup:

08-25-2013 07:07 PM
    I'm just going to put this out there. I think it's going to get more and more difficult to keep violent people away from guns. Considering you can make a cheap 3D printer for around $200 (and you can buy a cheap one for $350 or so), and there are resources for printing guns and ammo (which, as of now, are terrible, but there will probably be improvements over time), depending on the price of the 3D printer filament, I would imagine it would cost $400 to $500 to print a (very poor quality, but potentially dangerous) gun and some ammo. This is assuming the person didn't already own a 3D printer and filament.

So if someone badly wanted to get a gun, it will almost certainly be possible.

Also, I wouldn't be too surprised that if guns are too heavily restricted, there will be shady people who sell home made guns. Basically a drug dealer, but with guns. (I'm not trying to say guns or drugs are morally good or bad) Of course, this is based on the assumption people will be able to make a profit with home made guns, and the profit is worth any legal risks.

So assuming 3D printing takes off, violent people could get easy access to guns in the near future, regardless of how heavily controlled they are.

TL;DR: I made some assumptions that say gun crime will get harder to control.
    08-25-2013 07:14 PM

Why I'm finally jumping in on this thread is beyond me.

However, I wholeheartedly disagree. Registration quickly turns to confiscation; UBC's have always, always, in some form or another, taken place before a government became too powerful (obviously, Germany comes to mind).

It comes down to whether you trust your government to behave in a legal matter. I do not. We have a secretive, corrupt government that has far exceeded it's necessary capacity. A strong federal government putting UBC's in place is just one step closer towards a dictatorship (in the most extreme sense, of course).

But I'll leave you with this: people forget far too often than Adolf Hitler was elected. It's a scary thought, IMHO.

Just my thoughts! I'd love to continue, but posting from my phone has its limits, one being my patience lol.
    Live2ride883 and cdmjlt369 like this.
    08-25-2013 07:21 PM
    Did you feel that way when Bush was in office? Just curious, since the Patriot Act passed in 2003 severely curtailed a lot of constitutional rights, however, there was nothing but praise for the action because it was going to make us a safer country.

We have background checks now, has that led to a national registry? Do you realize that the NRA has a massive data base on every registered gun owner and even prospective owners? A corporate entity. Is that any better than the government? Heard of fascism?

From an unlikely source...

http://www.drudge.com/news/171362/nr...ase-gun-owners

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-25-2013 07:33 PM
    Did you feel that way when Bush was in office? Just curious, since the Patriot Act passed in 2003 severely curtailed a lot of constitutional rights, however, there was nothing but praise for the action because it was going to make us a safer country.

We have background checks now, has that led to a national registry? Do you realize that the NRA has a massive data base on every registered gun owner and even prospective owners? A corporate entity. Is that any better than the government? Heard of fascism?

From an unlikely source...

http://www.drudge.com/news/171362/nr...ase-gun-owners

Sent via Note II
    Most people that understood what was going on felt that way while Bush was in office.

Slowhorse and Aquila like this.
    08-25-2013 07:42 PM
    Most people that understood what was going on felt that way while Bush was in office.

Isn't that the antithesis of the Jeffersonian quote about freedom that people frequently mention? What happened from then until now?

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 07:48 PM
    The reason I laugh and feel sorry for Americans at the same time while reading this thread is. This same discussion happened here 16 years ago, 16 years ago a very conservative leader and arguably our nations best leader saw that our own love was killing us by the hundreds. We didn't ban all guys like groups are trying to make out we did but the restriction has had a significant effect (you can see stats in my other posts as I'm walking to uni). Our issue was so hotly debated from gun activists which put the PM in power, he had to wear a bullet proof vest in public. This is from a pm who openly will hug you if you walk up to him in public with no security and do it, even with tradies with sharp objects in their hands.

16 years on, those large vocal groups have died down, seen the change it has done. FYI the vocal groups were the farmers. Thankfully for them a lot of the government cabinate had farmed before and had see. It its difficult from first hand experience to shoot cattle with a single round shot gun "because if you don't kill them the first time, their head rolls and looks at you with a guilty look" thus there are exceptions for those with genuine need e.g farmers.

I have no clue what you guys are on about complaining it affects you farmers. It doesn't, how do I know. My home family besides was from the country. We have a bloody deer head which we shot ages ago on my wall!(there was a finger lost in the process).

In short, look over the initial emotions and actually research the affect on your group. I can almost bet it will hardly affect you in the long term. We got rid of our last rifle 10 years ago and have been glad since.

And PS were 16 years ahead in legislation so you always see 16 years into the future

msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2013 08:13 PM
    Thats not what the nra stands for lol to me a southern man i grew up with guns let me explain something to you we love the woods we love hunting we love 4 wheelers we live mudding we live jacked up 4x4 we care not for global warming we sweat our asses off when the feds put restrictions on amo and guns we get pissed off its in the constitution hell i had fun with a 10 gauge shot gun you ever watch that show on history channel sons of guns?? that's the kind if crap we live hell yea baby southern by the grace of god and notice i said live instead of love we live it love it its our life style deal with it take your tree hugging hippie *** somewhere

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    First and foremost, please do not make such broad assumptions or claims. I am southern bred, southern raised. Born in Kentucky, raised throughout Tennessee and Arkansas. I do not hunt, I do not like mudding (in fact, I believe that it is disrespectful to the individual whos lands being torn up, because more oft than not, it's a poor unsuspecting farmer.) I do not like jacked up 4x4s, in fact, I drive a prius. I very much care about global warming and I DESPISE sweating. I don't like being in the woods, because I hate ticks and being snagged by branches. Nor do I get worked up about gun control. So while that may be the stereotype you choose to live by, please, don't shove it on the rest of us who are also southern.

Secondly, please do not call others names. They are respecting your opinion on gun control, please return that favor. If people continue to insult and feel insulted in this thread, it only has one direction it can head. So please, keep the conversation civil.
    Fairclough, msndrstood and rexxman like this.
    08-25-2013 08:13 PM
    First and foremost, please do not make such broad assumptions or claims. I am southern bred, southern raised. Born in Kentucky, raised throughout Tennessee and Arkansas. I do not hunt, I do not like mudding (in fact, I believe that it is disrespectful to the individual whos lands being torn up, because more oft than not, it's a poor unsuspecting farmer.) I do not like jacked up 4x4s, in fact, I drive a prius. I very much care about global warming and I DESPISE sweating. I don't like being in the woods, because I hate ticks and being snagged by branches. Nor do I get worked up about gun control. So while that may be the stereotype you choose to live by, please, don't shove it on the rest of us who are also southern.

Secondly, please do not call others names. They are respecting your opinion on gun control, please return that favor. If people continue to insult and feel insulted in this thread, it only has one direction it can head. So please, keep the conversation civil.
    I never mud ride in a planted field and farmers get government money, so I'm getting my money's worth lol

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    08-25-2013 08:37 PM
    The reason I laugh and feel sorry for Americans at the same time while reading this thread is. This same discussion happened here 16 years ago, 16 years ago a very conservative leader and arguably our nations best leader saw that our own love was killing us by the hundreds. We didn't ban all guys like groups are trying to make out we did but the restriction has had a significant effect (you can see stats in my other posts as I'm walking to uni). Our issue was so hotly debated from gun activists which put the PM in power, he had to wear a bullet proof vest in public. This is from a pm who openly will hug you if you walk up to him in public with no security and do it, even with tradies with sharp objects in their hands.

16 years on, those large vocal groups have died down, seen the change it has done. FYI the vocal groups were the farmers. Thankfully for them a lot of the government cabinate had farmed before and had see. It its difficult from first hand experience to shoot cattle with a single round shot gun "because if you don't kill them the first time, their head rolls and looks at you with a guilty look" thus there are exceptions for those with genuine need e.g farmers.

I have no clue what you guys are on about complaining it affects you farmers. It doesn't, how do I know. My home family besides was from the country. We have a bloody deer head which we shot ages ago on my wall!(there was a finger lost in the process).

In short, look over the initial emotions and actually research the affect on your group. I can almost bet it will hardly affect you in the long term. We got rid of our last rifle 10 years ago and have been glad since.

And PS were 16 years ahead in legislation so you always see 16 years into the future

Again, your legislation is not solely responsible for what's going on. If you're going to come in here and discuss, that is something that you MUST understand.

08-25-2013 08:48 PM
    So you are saying..... Its a fact all our massacres were done with semi and automatic weapons. Fact we almost had a massacre a year for 18 years. Fact when legislation came in there has been 0 massacres for 16 years and its nothing to do with legislation?

That's the only variable changed. It cannot be a statistical anomalies the Virginia rifle assos retracted their statement of it could be anomalies when they found out our prior track record and that massacre is defined as more than 4 killed over event.

If it isn't legislation what causes it? Its not crime trend globally. Ill crunch the numbers tonight to show its not an anomalies using ether the 2.5% or 5% significant figure as you would learn in a statistics unit, we learnt it for hardware failure and medicine but it can be incorporated for guns. Brb checking out I have a psychology lecture.

msndrstood likes this.
    08-25-2013 08:53 PM
    The video I posted was for the HUMOR content only, not directed at ANYONE...
    08-25-2013 08:55 PM
    Ok, I apologize, point taken. But you would have been offended if I posted something like that, you know you would.

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 09:12 PM

And the death penalty for using a firearm in the commission of a crime.

I'm a bloodthirsty Hippy-***, born and raised in the southernmost point in the continental US.

Edit: I also have a Ruger SR40 in my pocket as I type this, because I can.
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    08-25-2013 09:13 PM
    So you are saying..... Its a fact all our massacres were done with semi and automatic weapons. Fact we almost had a massacre a year for 18 years. Fact when legislation came in there has been 0 massacres for 16 years and its nothing to do with legislation?

That's the only variable changed. It cannot be a statistical anomalies the Virginia rifle assos retracted their statement of it could be anomalies when they found out our prior track record and that massacre is defined as more than 4 killed over event.

If it isn't legislation what causes it? Its not crime trend globally. Ill crunch the numbers tonight to show its not an anomalies using ether the 2.5% or 5% significant figure as you would learn in a statistics unit, we learnt it for hardware failure and medicine but it can be incorporated for guns. Brb checking out I have a psychology lecture.

Not even the fiercest of gun control advocates would agree with you. There are too many variables for it to be attributed solely to that legislation. I'm sorry that you are choosing not to believe it, but it is absolutely the truth.

08-25-2013 09:13 PM
    And the death penalty for using a firearm in the commission of a crime.

I'm a bloodthirsty Hippy-***, born and raised in the southernmost point in the continental US.
    You're from Margaritaville?

Sent via Note II
    08-25-2013 09:15 PM
    What are these variables than? Every expert here has contributed it to our parliament members having enough balls to put their job on the line for citizen safety, they had to wear bloody bullet proof vests while passing it!

msndrstood and TomsAndroid like this.
    08-25-2013 09:16 PM
    You're from Margaritaville?

Sent via Note II
    Close -- Everglades City. We don't count Key West. It's full of folks from Ohio and New York LOL
    08-25-2013 09:17 PM
    Jerry as your rational here can you answer my following questions to whether you would support this. Just a yes no for each. I don't support all of these but will like to see where our views differ.

1. Background checks.
    2. National arm registry.
    3. Mandatory 1 hr wait.
    4. Proof of Genuine need for a weapon.
    5. Heavy restriction of automatic and semi rifles e.g only farmers can use low powered semi's with limited rounds for cattle.
    6. Gun liscense trial period, e.g required to go the range for a year before being allowed to bring a hand gun home
    7. Limitation on the amount of use-able guns one may own.

08-25-2013 09:48 PM
    Jerry as your rational here can you answer my following questions to whether you would support this. Just a yes no for each. I don't support all of these but will like to see where our views differ.

1. Background checks.
    2. National arm registry.
    3. Mandatory 1 hr wait.
    4. Proof of Genuine need for a weapon.
    5. Heavy restriction of automatic and semi rifles e.g only farmers can use low powered semi's with limited rounds for cattle.
    6. Gun liscense trial period, e.g required to go the range for a year before being allowed to bring a hand gun home
    7. Limitation on the amount of use-able guns one may own.

1. Yes.
    2. Would need to hear the reason. If it sounds like it would actually keep people who shouldn't be buying guns from legally buying them, then yes. That's a very big if, because both sides of our current government would surely do something very stupid with this data. If the people ever vote the stupid out of Washington, My opinion may change here.
    3. No
    4. No
    5. No
    6. No
    7. No

All but number one affect me. I've never committed a crime that affects my right to own a firearm, I should not be restricted because other people have.

Let me be clear -- these gun nuts you see talking and posting on the Internet (not singling out anyone here) do not speak for me, my wants and wishes, nor my rights. Only I do that.

I'm a firm believer that everything should be done to keep guns away from those who shouldn't have them. Deciding who shouldn't have them, and how to keep them from getting them, is a tough nut to crack. But it's pretty obvious to me, as a gun enthusiast who is also not a right-wing nut job, that the solutions proposed by either side aren't going to work.
    08-25-2013 10:24 PM
    2-7 no
    1) We already have a background check system in place. (If you are talking about expanding it). Then my answer is no

2) Absolutely NOT, not only because registration leads to confiscation. But because it's none of their business what firearms I own.

3) Nope, I'm there in the store and so is the gun, why should I have to wait?

4) Nope, I should not have to justify my purchase to anyone. (except my wife)

5) Again automatic weapons ARE already heavily restricted here. Semi-auto rifles like the ar15 are not, and they do not need to be.

6) nope, again this would be a type of registration which would lead to confiscation.

7) Nope in a big way, what about personal collections of mine that exceed 350 working firearms?
    -----------------
    08-25-2013 10:41 PM
4,617 ... 123124125126127 ...