07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 128129130131132 ...
tools
    L2R...you are so right. Good stories never make it to the mainstream media. You actually have to research yourself to find these stories. Its interesting because there are plenty of them yet the media never talks about them.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    08-27-2013 08:20 PM
    Just because it is misquoted, doesn't make it any less true...
    08-27-2013 08:37 PM
    And how is it not not true because some guy never saw it in writing?

Most of what people say is not in writing.

08-27-2013 08:57 PM
    The concept could easily be true, there just aren't any experts who have attributed it to that individual and the reasons for not invading are many.

Nexus. Through spacetime.
    08-27-2013 09:20 PM
    Please refrain from using all caps, it comes off as an angry rant. Capping a word or phrase here and there to bring attention to a certain point is fine. But not an entire post... Thanks
    Its supposed to be angry and in your face that is the point you want our guns come take them ill give each of you three seconds before i unleash hell I'll pull a nathan gale give me liberty or give me death and the rite to bare arms is one liberty ill defend to the grave

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    08-27-2013 10:00 PM
    Its supposed to be angry and in your face that is the point you want our guns come take them ill give each of you three seconds before i unleash hell I'll pull a nathan gale give me liberty or give me death and the rite to bare arms is one liberty ill defend to the grave

That kind/type of comment usually isn't well received here..
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-27-2013 10:05 PM

And... People like you are the reasons we have gun control.
    08-27-2013 10:31 PM
    Fairclough, just out of curiosity how old were you when this ban went through?
    I would of been three, my brothers six, nine and sister 12. I can safely agree all of view it was for the best. We didn't get rid of the last gun till a much later date.

Posted via Android Central App
    08-27-2013 11:13 PM
    We had a guns in most houses when Japan attacked us. I don't think that was the reason why they didn't attack the states.

Posted via Android Central App
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-27-2013 11:15 PM
    Do you have a Right to keep and maintain weapons of service or a ritual that involves either tank tops or shaving your forearms?
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-28-2013 01:31 AM
    How so? People seem sane all the time, before they go off. How do you stop that?

Sent via Note II
    You can't completely.

But laws should not be based on logical fallacies.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-28-2013 01:37 AM
    Fact is we did stop it, well them using an semi or automatic weapon and gunning down civils. Cdmjlt America may or may not be in the top 10, but they have more deaths from guns in comparison to countries in the middle east!
    That tends to happen under despotic rule. If the citizens had guns, they would overthrow the despots and dictators.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    08-28-2013 01:38 AM
    Fact is we did stop it, well them using an semi or automatic weapon and gunning down civils. Cdmjlt America may or may not be in the top 10, but they have more deaths from guns in comparison to countries in the middle east!
    This is vs. places like the UK where people get decapitated in broad daylight in the middle of the street. No thanks, I'd much rather go down with at least a chance of defending myself.
    08-28-2013 01:59 AM
    There is some interesting information in this article.
    Ann Coulter - January 9, 2013 - DOING THE RESEARCH THE NEW YORK TIMES WON'T DO

Here is a portion of the article:
    Australian academics have already examined the mass murder rate by firearm by comparing Australia to a control country: New Zealand. (Do they teach "control groups" at Harvard?)

New Zealand is strikingly similar to Australia. Both are isolated island nations, demographically and socioeconomically similar. Their mass murder rates before Australia's gun ban was nearly identical: From 1980 to 1996, Australia's mass murder rate was 0.0042 incidents per 100,000 people and New Zealand's was 0.0050 incidents per 100,000 people.

The principal difference is that, post-1997, New Zealand remained armed to the teeth -- including with many guns that were completely banned in Australia.

While it's true that Australia has had no more mass shootings since its gun ban, neither has New Zealand, despite continuing to be massively armed.
    bigdaddytee likes this.
    08-28-2013 02:10 AM
    Actually New Zealand has had 1 third of the massacres and 1/4 of the dead list, its also. Besides the obvious differences, New Zealand also had a gun categories like us.
    Secondly, you have to apply for a gun like us. Thirdly You have to go to a fire range etc first for a trial period like us. Fourthy, Rarely anyone is allowed an automatic and semi like us.
    SO please check the actual gun law, because quiet frankly their law is actually relatively similar to ours.
    msndrstood likes this.
    08-28-2013 05:53 AM
    Coulter is not a reliable source for hard news since she is so heavily influenced by her partisan beliefs. My main criticism with her article is that she fails to mention that the NYTimes story she is criticizing is an Op-Ed piece. Opinion pages of newspapers are not hard news and often are advocate pieces written with cheerleader/lawyer enthusiasm for whatever the cause is. Furthermore, Coulter's article is an Op-Ed just like the article she is critiquing and she is guilty in her article of doing much of what she criticizes Rosenthal of doing, like barely citing any source material and therefore making unsubstantiated claims. (She does cite one US study but the article is about Australia and New Zealand; and she does reference one Aus-NZ source, but everything else is just passing reference with no way to verify unless her story was published with source material cited). I especially found amusing how on the one hand she blasts Rosenthal (and calls her a pinhead) for commenting on a "trend" in mass murder because "any statistician will tell you discerning trends is impossible," but then promptly makes her own "trend" analysis that "Their mass murder rates before Australia's gun ban was nearly identical." She also makes the sweeping claim in her conclusion that Australian gun control laws actually increased violent gun violence in Australia. There might have been one year when there was an uptick in gun crimes, but I don't see the proven cause and effect for a trend that she stakes out as being impossible to discern.
    08-28-2013 01:15 PM
    08-28-2013 01:35 PM
    Everyone uses articles/ info that supports their ideals. Especially the mainstream media. The only thing either side of the gun debate can know for sure is: a gun can't jump up off the table and kill someone by itself.Firearms and self-defense-1377718648547.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-28-2013 02:38 PM
    DeWalt Nail Gun...
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-download-1-.jpg   Firearms and self-defense-download-2-.jpg   Firearms and self-defense-download-4-.jpg  
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    08-28-2013 02:40 PM
    Actually New Zealand has had 1 third of the massacres and 1/4 of the dead list, its also. Besides the obvious differences, New Zealand also had a gun categories like us.
    Secondly, you have to apply for a gun like us. Thirdly You have to go to a fire range etc first for a trial period like us. Fourthy, Rarely anyone is allowed an automatic and semi like us.
    For the 500th time. It costs over 15k for a class 3 license to be able to own an auto. There have been 0 mass murders by automatic weapons here. It takes the act of god to get a class 3 license.

You bringing up auto weapons is a moot point. Talking about the bad us auto weapons spreads fear to the ignorant . Fear is what causes these knee jerk reactions.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    08-28-2013 03:11 PM
    So we should ban guns because someone shoots themselves? Should we also ban cars then?

http://m.kcra.com/81-year-old-man-di...e/-/index.html

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    cdmjlt369 and bigdaddytee like this.
    08-28-2013 03:16 PM
    So we should ban guns because someone shoots themselves? Should we also ban cars then?

81-year-old man dies in deadly wrong-way car crash | Home - Home

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Let's start there and then work our way to everything else that can be used to kill, even accidentally..

Oddly enough more people die in car crashes each year than by guns.

The 32,367 traffic fatalities in 2011 were the lowest in 62 years (1949).List of motor vehicle deaths in U.S. by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oops I forgot that these deaths do not count since the primary function of a car is not to kill.
    08-28-2013 03:38 PM
    Let's start there and then work our way to everything else that can be used to kill, even accidentally..
    Or we just outlaw everything that we don't like because we think it doesn't effect us.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    08-28-2013 03:43 PM
    This is just a suggestion, but if anyone in the US doubt's how difficult it is to purchase a fully automatic rifle. The next time you're out running errands or happen to have an hour or so to kill (no pun intended). Why not stop into a local gun shop and talk to an employee there. I'm talking about a mom and pop type store where the people on the other side of the counter know and use the weapons they sell. Not Cabella's (sp) or something similar.
    08-28-2013 03:56 PM
    Oddly enough more people die in car crashes each year than by guns.
    If we were to have a thread about driving privileges I'd be the first person to suggest an increased rigorous system of training and enforcement with an idealistic goal of net 40-70% loss of current and new issued drivers licenses per state.

Two distinctions. 1. Most people that are driving are doing illegal things with their vehicles 2. There is no constitutional right to own or operate a car.

One point 1: Speeding, illegal lane changes, tailgating, road rage, merging without signaling, texting while driving, improper maintenance, etc, etc. When I first ride alongs with the police department I quickly found out that just about every car or driver on the road is doing something "ticket worthy" if you look hard enough and interpret regulations literally and in the most strict sense. And that's with only current laws. If I had a magic wand I'd make it much more difficult to obtain a license in the first place and rescind issuance from all current drivers who cannot meet the qualifications. No one would be grandfathered in, especially grandfathers

There are of course a lot of impacted services and considerations with such an action, that we'll not go into here...

One point 2: Driving is a privileged that citizens opt-in to. This activity is heavily taxed on multiple fronts and everyone who meets the various minimum requirements can be issued a license. Licenses are taken away at the whim of the state. In current interpretation, the bearing of arms is a right, listed in the Bill of Rights, that all citizens posses and cannot be granted by any other person. The only restrictions we allow are in the acquisition (regulations such as background checks, etc), the storage and transport of weapons and ammunition and the possession by criminals, who give up many of their protections when they decide they prefer crime over citizenship.
    Fairclough and bigdaddytee like this.
    08-28-2013 04:10 PM
4,617 ... 128129130131132 ...