07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 129130131132133 ...
tools
    With the exception of true accidental shootings (its highly possible some suicides are listed as accidental) then I would have to add that every shooting is either in the commission of a crime, or is a direct result of said crime.

In some area's even the accidental discharge of a firearm is a crime.
    08-28-2013 04:26 PM
    Can we please not take lightly or otherwise mock others' opinions. That includes cracking jokes about banning cars, or old people. While it is an opinion you may not agree with, it does not deserve to be mocked. If the shoe were on the other foot and someone was mocking your opinion, you wouldnt be very receptive to it. Thanks..
    Aquila and msndrstood like this.
    08-28-2013 04:56 PM
    Well, I guess my problem is, is everyone trying to outlaw everything that they don't like or agree with. There are tons of things I dont like but I dont want it banned. It is ridiculous when people want something outlawed when there are tons of other things that kill more people and kids than guns.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Aquila likes this.
    08-28-2013 05:23 PM
    I discovered an interesting fact....

Gun deaths as a percentage of the population is 0.00062%

Voter fraud is 0.00048%

Interesting, indeed.

Sent via Note II
    08-28-2013 06:02 PM

Voter fraud is 0.00048%

Interesting, indeed.

Sent via Note II

Now you see why I think we have more pressing priorities? Both of these are close to non-issues to me except that people want to take apart constitutional rights. Generally more liberal minded people want to put meaningless laws into effect for firearms, thus restricting the 2nd amendment over a relative non-issue. Generally more conservative minded people want to put laws into effect to restrict access to the polls due to a relative non issue. In both cases the legislation proposed is wrong headed and way over the top considering the scope of the issue.

It's almost like we could trade. Libs drop gun control and the tea party stops trying to keep minorities and the elderly from voting. Everyone is slightly happier without anyone having to do anything except put their views in perspective and stop whining (which makes people like me happy).
    08-28-2013 06:16 PM
    I had a feeling the numbers were close, I couldn't find numbers for gun deaths per population, only per 100,000. So I did the math and sure enough, they were pretty close.

In my opinion, similar to NIT, if one isn't a problem, then neither is the other.

Both are protected by the constitution. And we should be making it easier to vote, not more difficult. Again, I will state, we haven't needed voter ID for 237 years, what's the problem now?

And yes, I know you need ID to get a gun. However, I could not find a single vote that was used as a deadly weapon either.

As for the gun issue, there are nearly as many guns in the US as there are people, over 300 million of each. They are here to stay. If gun owners don't self police, e.g. guns secured, safety classes, etc, eventually, as a society and as a people, we will self destruct as violent societies are wont to do.

Sent via Note II
    Fairclough likes this.
    08-28-2013 06:47 PM
    Exactly!!!because the criminal underworld will make more sells by smuggling in weapons and taking advantage of the law abiding citizens with robberies muggings and just general criminal activity as they wont be allowed a gun as the criminal has it illegally and will intimidate mane murder the law abiding citizen as the government took our guns away its a big problem in england look it up

Sent from my HTC One X+ using AC Forums mobile app
    08-29-2013 08:14 AM
    Little light humour because metle that has happened here hasn't it. Oh wait we were founded on criminals what would I know -_- (most we're settlers)
    ︻╦╤─ The Gun Debate [RAP NEWS 18] - YouTube
    08-31-2013 04:02 AM
    Came across this tonight and thought I'd add it to the thread for discussion:

Harvard Study: No Correlation Between Gun Control and Less Violent Crime
    Assuming Harvard knows it's math (which is my assumption), that also means there is no correlation between gun control and more violent crime. If these laws neither cause nor inhibit crime, aren't they essentially pointless?
    bigdaddytee and metle_geek like this.
    08-31-2013 04:48 AM
    They aren't pointless. But lowering violent crime is not the goal.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    08-31-2013 04:58 AM
    They aren't pointless. But lowering violent crime is not the goal.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii
    I think what I mean is that I think we would see more of a positive impact by enforcing existing laws than we will from just writing and funding new laws with no ability to draft or enforce meaningful reforms.
    08-31-2013 05:22 AM
    Don't know anything about guns?

It's like that all over.

People are so anti gun yet don't know the first thing about them

Examples?

Calling a magazine a "clip" clips are magazines are 2 different things

Saying things like "did you know there are online gun shops that you can buy a gun from with no background check and have it shipped to your door?" um no, that's super illegal

Calling a 30 round magazine on an AR-15 a "high capacity" magazine. Um, 30 rounds on an AR is NORMAL/standard capacity. A high capacity magazine is a magazine with a higher capacity than what originally comes with it

Saying dumb things like "people don't need guns to protect themselves" when crime statistics in places like dc, Chicago, even Atlanta say otherwise. How is disarming the good guy that did go through the background checks, got his permit, his fingerprints on record with the FBI going to protect him from that thug on the streets that's willing to kill? Not to mention ALL the major anti gun politicians either have tons of armed security and/or carry permits themselves.

Or those that think certain guns are more deadly because of COSMETIC FEATURES that don't affect lethality at all.

Or those that support handgun bans when a shotgun will do so much more damage

I honestly don't think someone in Congress should be allowed to vote on issues they know nothing about.

Why is it that it's so rare to find people that know about guns that are anti gun?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    As an Englishman I haven't the slightest idea about guns. But -without trying to sound like I'm trying to force my view on you- surely if people hadn't got guns at the start then it wouldn't have ended up as this build up of every person buying guns to "protect themselves" and no one would need them? And yes I do understand that the right to have guns is in your declaration of independence. But I was just wondering what you thought on that, whether you got a gun for "protection" or because you see it as your right? Or both?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
    08-31-2013 05:34 AM

Voter fraud is 0.00048%

Interesting, indeed.

Sent via Note II
    Even more interesting is that both gun deaths (excluding the try accidents) and voter fraud are crimes and should be prosecuted to the FULL extent of the law.
    08-31-2013 09:53 AM
    As an Englishman I haven't the slightest idea about guns. But -without trying to sound like I'm trying to force my view on you- surely if people hadn't got guns at the start then it wouldn't have ended up as this build up of every person buying guns to "protect themselves" and no one would need them? And yes I do understand that the right to have guns is in your declaration of independence. But I was just wondering what you thought on that, whether you got a gun for "protection" or because you see it as your right? Or both?

Ok didn't they melt all the civilian guns in england? And some policeman cant even have guns? So what happens when people get guns anyway off the black market and go completely off of the deep end?

09-01-2013 10:09 AM

If we didn't have guns, we would probably still be a British colony.

The firearms in my house are used for defense, target practice, and sport shooting. I also have a few that are collectors items as well.

---------

Would you be willing to admit that Lee Rigby should have had a gun?
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    09-01-2013 12:26 PM
    In response to OP:
    It truly is sad how ppl will try to get rid of things they have no knowledge of.

General topic response:
    I own guns for sport and defense. I have a wife to think about as well as a general sense to protect those around me. Stupid ppl will always be around to do stupid things, and I will be able to protect myself and those around me when that happens.

I have been fleshing out my views on this topic and recently found a view that I had never considered. That view being having to do with the equivalence of power. Basically, if everyone carried a handgun, everyone would be on equal ground. Where if no one has a gun, the physically strongest has power to force others around them. A large man can physically exert his dominance over a smaller person and force them to do whatever he wishes. As a developed society, we would be striving toward equality in an effort to discourage violence and promote common welfare.
    09-03-2013 02:57 PM
    09-04-2013 02:45 PM
    Ok didn't they melt all the civilian guns in england? And some policeman cant even have guns? So what happens when people get guns anyway off the black market and go completely off of the deep end?

Generally I presume a response unit would be issued who have guns. Not all our police have gun, but generally most have a tazer gun and a hand gun as our bans aren't that extreme. If someone does your example the TRG will come in. These would be similar to your swat with their rifles, helicopters, power boats, response tanks, response trucks, their usual armoured 4x4. I'll post up a pick of them in duty dad took while on work. This was a naked gunman who thought it was a hood idea to make threats in the city.[img]
    http://www.malfairclough.com.au/Images/News/i-sfq89VL/1/X2/170710gengunman3-2-X2.jpg[/IMG]
    They're extremely good at their job. I've had their base near by house and they take an job seriously. Once some drunks decided to hit the hoods of cars turning on the main road on the route from their base. Let's say when the TRG 4x4 got hit they were all on the pavement facedown within 25 seconds this included chasing a few down on foot. Obviously they were drunk so they wouldn't have to run fast.
    - Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    09-07-2013 04:14 AM
    Generally I presume a response unit would be issued who have guns. Not all our police have gun, but generally most have a tazer gun and a hand gun as our bans aren't that extreme. If someone does your example the TRG will come in. These would be similar to your swat with their rifles, helicopters, power boats, response tanks, response trucks, their usual armoured 4x4.
    Seems like a severe response in a virtually unarmed society, your "police" sound an awful lot like a military.

I do understand that you've grown up with this ban, and that being the case you feel it's the best way but honestly IMO, and the opinion of most Americans believe its not (for us). While criminal activity is a by product of civilization and as such cannot be completely done away with but fortunately these types are a small minority.

Find a way to keep firearms out of the hands of criminals, and the mentally unstable without infringing on my rights to purchase, own firearms for defense, sport, or hunting.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    09-07-2013 08:11 AM
    The TRG isn't standard police, they are generally trained only to deal with hostile events or any threat which isn't a usual event for a normal police officer, I do believe your SWAT has similar equipment right?
    09-07-2013 09:27 PM
    The TRG isn't standard police, they are generally trained only to deal with hostile events or any threat which isn't a usual event for a normal police officer, I do believe your SWAT has similar equipment right?
    Some of the larger cities have police helicopters, but they are un-armed (no mounted weapons like military ones have). I am not aware of any police tanks.

In all seriousness, there is a town near me and the police dept. has 20-25 officers. I am pretty sure that i have more weapons, and ammunition than the entire force does. I know several officers on that force including the chief and I think my family uses more ammo practicing in a year than they do as well.
    09-08-2013 03:27 AM
    Generally I presume a response unit would be issued who have guns. Not all our police have gun, but generally most have a tazer gun and a hand gun as our bans aren't that extreme.
    Above you stated "Not all our police have gun, but generally most have a taser gun and a hand gun". A hand gun is still a gun. So which is it.

Let's imagine that your a policeman armed with a taser and you happen to walk into a store that's being robbed by a thug with a gun. Even if you do manage to take him, odds are that his finger will be on the trigger and when his muscles start to spasm from the electric current coursing through his body that trigger is going to get pulled and yourself or an innocent bystander is going to get hurt.
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    09-08-2013 03:40 AM
    In your opinion, what is the deadliest weapon that civilians should be allowed to own? Should it be a shotgun, a rifle, or perhaps something else?

In your response, it would be helpful to include your reasoning on why a civilian should be allowed to own the weapon in question. If the weapon is currently forbidden for civilian ownership by law in your jurisdiction, please explain why the law should be changed to accommodate it.

For the purposes of this discussion, please only talk about weapons that can be implemented today. So don't mention things like lightsabers unless you actually have a functioning model.
    09-08-2013 04:29 AM
    For me, I will always get stuck on the fact that its not only my right, but my duty and responsibility to protect my family.I would never expect, nor feel comfortable with anyone else having that responsibility.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    09-08-2013 05:13 AM
    What do "the bad guys" have?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    09-08-2013 05:59 AM
4,617 ... 129130131132133 ...