07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 131132133134135 ...
tools
    and there is legislation in the human mind, if your mentally unstable you go to therapy.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    msndrstood likes this.
    09-11-2013 06:47 PM
    and there is legislation in the human mind, if your mentally unstable you go to therapy.

The Aurora, Colorado movie theater shooter was known to be mentally unstable, as well as the Sandy Hook shooter.

Regardless -

Anyone that shoots dozens of innocent, helpless people is mentally unstable.

Can you argue against that?

If you cannot disagree with that, then it proves your post to be incorrect.

09-11-2013 06:54 PM
    How did I know those two replied were going to come. I think the thread intends for an object designed to create harm.

The design of something is almost irrelevant, it's the use that makes an item dangerous. A car in the control of an unqualified driver is dangerous. Imagine putting a 16 year old novice driver behind the wheel of a semitrailer is anything but a disaster waiting to happen.

Yet a .50 cal Desert Eagle in the hands of a qualified marksman is more than likely going to be handled with respect to the inherit danger that item carries with it.

--------------

I understand that you may not like my reply, or the other of the two "you saw coming" but does that make them any less true?

Any "normal" person would perceive the most dangerous weapon available to civilians is the one that takes the most lives, or causes the most injuries.
    qxr and EJT like this.
    09-11-2013 07:50 PM
    and there is legislation in the human mind, if your mentally unstable you go to
    I wouldn't call that legislation.

Some people are just broken inside. They have no connection to their fellow man. Take the time to look up the term sociopath.

Profile of the Sociopath
    09-11-2013 08:03 PM
    If I take an ar15 out of my gun safe and set it on my desk, loaded or unloaded it is no more dangerous than the snow globe sitting next to it is.

The same is true for any of my pistols, or other rifles.
    09-11-2013 08:13 PM
    It doesn't prove my post incorrect? as there is law, sometimes people slip through the gaps.
    Your example is like saying that there is no drink driving laws because people still do it.
    American Psychiatric Association rendered a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) which is a useful text for disorders and classification.
    09-12-2013 01:02 AM
    It doesn't prove my post incorrect? as there is law, sometimes people slip through the gaps.
    Your example is like saying that there is no drink driving laws because people still do it.
    American Psychiatric Association rendered a Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) which is a useful text for disorders and classification.
    Yeah.... uh... i didn't phrase it right, but you know what i'm trying to say!

I was testing you.
    You passed.

Aquila and Fairclough like this.
    09-12-2013 02:27 AM
    I was testing you.
    You passed.
    Greetings Denizen!
    09-12-2013 02:30 AM
    So in your mind l2r I should be allowed a nuclear bomb, launcher, tank with shells because only people are the threat not the machinery?

09-12-2013 06:53 AM
    So in your mind l2r I should be allowed a nuclear bomb, launcher, tank with shells because only people are the threat not the machinery?
    As for your "post"...... smh

The machinery is inanimate. It cannot act on it's own without the input or control of a person.

That ar15 that I mentioned in a previous post: if it is sitting on my desk next to the snow globe no matter how much I yell at it, or ask nicely it will not fire until I or someone else picks it up and pulls the trigger.
    09-12-2013 08:36 AM
    OP, anything can be used as a weapon, so... it really STILL doesn't make a difference what's legal or not.
    That is a good point. You can injure or kill people with a meat cleaver or a rifle. Is there a standard way to classify weapons from non-weapons?

I suppose a weapon's legal status only affects its availability for civilian purchase. I could walk into a store and buy a meat cleaver. If I buy a rifle, I would need a firearms license.

Have you heard of the Mall of America? It's located in Minnesota. According to their website (here), firearms and fireworks are prohibited on mall property. Going even further, the Mall of America also bans bulletproof vests and SIMULATED bulletproof vests. (I was not aware that there was a distinction. I'm still not sure how they could legally prohibit vests used as body armor.)

In this case, the Mall of America is private property, and perhaps they have a legal right to turn away guests who do not comply with their rules. Perhaps there are aspects of Minnesota law that allow such rules on private property, but I am not a legal expert. Anyway, I'm not saying that I agree with it, but that appears to be the reality of the situation.
    09-12-2013 02:15 PM
    Depends on which area's, in regional obviously shot guns as they need it for cattle, obviously you would need hand guns for enthusiasts at the range (could limit taking it home).
    I would cap it at something like replica knives and swords.
    What factors should we consider in a particular area when it comes to weapons?

You mention shot guns being needed for cattle. I suppose shot guns would be necessary if I were herding cattle and a pack of wolves decided to attack. I could use a shot gun to defend myself and my cattle. However, if I do not have cattle or if I live in an area that does not have wolves, can I still own a shot gun as a civilian?
    09-12-2013 02:30 PM
    People who drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol should be sentenced to serious prison sentences. Drugs and alcohol are major contributors to senseless deaths. Next we should go for medical malpractice. Turns out that's much higher than many many other causes of death. Legislating weapon ownership is simply band-aiding an issue, not addressing the root cause.
    09-12-2013 02:45 PM
    The deadliest thing a civilian owns right now is a car.
    Is there a way for me, as a civilian, to legally make my car deadlier? For example, could I install a battering ram to the front of my car?
    jdbii and Serial Fordicator like this.
    09-12-2013 03:07 PM
    Is there a way for me, as a civilian, to legally make my car deadlier? For example, could I install a battering ram to the front of my car?
    I want a snowplow

jdbii and Scott7217 like this.
    09-12-2013 03:49 PM
    I think the thread intends for an object designed to create harm.
    Since when are things only used only for the purpose they were designed????

Other than that it sounds like you're trying to "box" in the conversation to have the outcome be what you want it...
    09-12-2013 03:57 PM
    I want a snowplow

I'll take one of these....

- - - Updated - - -

Legally, I have no idea. But if you have to ask or even want to add a battering ram to the front of your car then I think it's deadly enough and you should consider turning in your license.
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-hd-snowplow.jpg  
    qxr likes this.
    09-12-2013 04:02 PM
    I'll take one of these....
    There's something that seems like it's not going to work about this...
    09-12-2013 04:03 PM
    There's something that seems like it's not going to work about this...
    I'm not sure why??
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-snow-plow.jpg  
    jdbii and qxr like this.
    09-12-2013 04:06 PM
    I'm not sure why??
    Is the weight on the blade? Seems like slippery + bike is almost always bad. Depending on the setup it seems like a high potential for either damaging the bike with the pressure coming in to the front, damaging the pavement, hitting a crack in the pavement and throwing the rider or the entire thing falling over, perhaps some other possibilities. I think it'd work great on a trike or a 4-wheeler, 2 wheels just seems like it's possibly more trouble than it's worth.
    09-12-2013 04:10 PM
    You bring up a good point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think civilians could legally buy a nuclear bomb, a launcher, or a tank with shells.
    09-12-2013 04:13 PM
    You bring up a good point. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think civilians could legally buy a nuclear bomb, a launcher, or a tank with shells.
    The from the person that wants to put a battering ram on the front of a car... (legally)

I "thought" this thread was about civilian grade weapons?
    09-12-2013 04:19 PM
    If I take an ar15 out of my gun safe and set it on my desk, loaded or unloaded it is no more dangerous than the snow globe sitting next to it is.
    I can see your point. For example, if criminals invaded your home and attacked you, you could bash them on the head with a snow globe if that was the only thing within reach.

If both the snow globe and the AR15 were equally available in this scenario, I would presume that most people would pick up the AR15 because, in their mind, it is a deadlier weapon than the snow globe.
    Fairclough likes this.
    09-12-2013 04:31 PM
    The from the person that wants to put a battering ram on the front of a car... (legally)

I "thought" this thread was about civilian grade weapons?
    With respect to the car-mounted battering ram, let me throw out a scenario. Let's say there is a rich CEO of a corporation driving his car on a narrow city street. Suddenly, criminals block the street in the front and in the back with their own cars. The criminals intend to kidnap the CEO for ransom. If the CEO had a battering ram in front of his car, wouldn't it be acceptable for him to ram his way out of this trap and escape? If a criminal or two gets injured or killed, that shouldn't be a problem because this is self-defense, right?

As to the point about civilian grade weapons, I am willing to hear all sides. This discussion has brought out answers that I didn't think about, and I'm interested to hear what people have to say.
    09-12-2013 04:53 PM
    Legally, I have no idea. But if you have to ask or even want to add a battering ram to the front of your car then I think it's deadly enough and you should consider turning in your license.
    Honestly, I think a battering ram on a car is rather tame. I've heard of an option to put flame throwers in cars to deter carjacking.

09-12-2013 05:12 PM
4,617 ... 131132133134135 ...