07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 141142143144145 ...
tools
    So is a guy (or woman) with a car and a short temper.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    Guess they should ban cars too. Public transport is an excellent idea.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    10-24-2013 02:27 PM
    Here we go again, lol...

Fairclough and qxr like this.
    10-24-2013 06:46 PM
    I wish they would ban cars, after all cars kill more people than guns.
    10-27-2013 11:07 AM
    I wish they would ban cars, after all cars kill more people than guns.

Yes but they have a more practical and meaningful use. As far as guns go, they should never go past an electronic tazer.

I'll let it die here, this is a pointless argument and isn't changing anyone's opinion though I would have liked to see a poll for this thread.
    Fairclough likes this.
    10-27-2013 12:38 PM
    Yes but they have a more practical and meaningful use. As far as guns go, they should never go past an electronic tazer.
    I always ask a simple question: If a criminal broke into your home and attempted to kill the members of your family, would you rather have a taser or a 9 mm pistol in your hand?
    qxr and Serial Fordicator like this.
    10-28-2013 08:46 PM
    I always ask a simple question: If a criminal broke into your home and attempted to kill the members of your family, would you rather have a taser or a 9 mm pistol in your hand?
    Give me the 9mm...:thumbup:

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    qxr and Serial Fordicator like this.
    10-28-2013 08:51 PM
    Better to be judged by twelve than be carried by 6!

Posted via Android Central App
    cdmjlt369 and qxr like this.
    10-28-2013 09:02 PM
    Gimme a grenade launcher and watch me get rowdy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    Scott7217 likes this.
    10-28-2013 10:52 PM
    Taser, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. If I shot someone with a gun I would struggle to control my conscience and would regret it for the rest of my life always being haunted buy it, especially if that person died than all the worse...don't ask me why I think like that, I just do.

My preference of security is strong high quality burglary steel bars on Windows and good steel security gates covering all wooden doors and a panic button with several motion sensors outside covering all the windows and doors to set of the alarm. Buy the time they break into my house the police would have arrested them long before.
    Scott7217 and Fairclough like this.
    10-29-2013 02:31 AM

I'll let it die here, this is a pointless argument and isn't changing anyone's opinion though I would have liked to see a poll for this thread.
    Protection of myself and my family is a practical and meaningful use to me, but thats just me. If you choose not to protect yourself, that is your business.
    Taser, I wouldn't be afraid to use it. If I shot someone with a gun I would struggle to control my conscience and would regret it for the rest of my life always being haunted buy it, especially if that person died than all the worse...don't ask me why I think like that, I just do.

My preference of security is strong high quality burglary steel bars on Windows and good steel security gates covering all wooden doors and a panic button with several motion sensors outside covering all the windows and doors to set of the alarm. Buy the time they break into my house the police would have arrested them long before.
    You have hinted on a fundamental teaching that is a part of being a responsible gun owner. That is that if you are not prepared to take a life, you have no business touching a gun in self defense. You only shoot to neutralize the threat, but you have to face the reality that means you will more than likely end the person's life.

Me personally? I am terrified of the consequences of having to use my firearm in self defense, but it is a reality I have come to terms with. The protection of my wife and other loved ones is important enough to me that consequences I would have to face after using deadly force protecting them would more than out way the potential consequences of not being able to protect them.

O and what good is your barred up house when you are out in public and a crazy person decides to go crazy?
    10-29-2013 07:57 AM
    O and what good is your barred up house when you are out in public and a crazy person decides to go crazy?
    Isn't a crazy person crazy before they decide to go crazy?

10-29-2013 10:33 AM
    Hard for me to compare Australia and the U.S. as apples to apples on allot of things, the population of Australia being roughly 23 million compared to the U.S. 320 million. Seven of the largest cities in America equal if not exceed the population of Australia. Economic booms and downfalls through the years have more of an effect on crime in countries and individual cities than banning guns.

Like already said when googling up effects of crime after the gun ban you are met with page after page of gun crime statistics and not actual crime statistics. Instead I just jumped over to the aic.gov site and searched there, pretty interesting facts to say the least and well worth the search. Banning guns then looking at only gun statistics afterward would be comparable to banning baseball bats then look at the data later and say "The banning of baseball bat beatings have dropped 60% after the ban" but then ignoring that Knife stabbings went up 70% during the same time frame.

New Zealand ran neck and neck with Australia on mass shootings before 1996 but chose not to have a gun ban like Australia and continue to have guns that were banned in Australia and have not had another mass shooting either since 1996.

I always find it interesting when looking at the FBI crime statistics here in the U.S. looking at individual areas that account for the vast majority of gun deaths we find in those same cities low crime areas. If there is a problem area within a city that is creating the vast majority of the crime statistics for that city why do these cities try and pass laws that effect the whole city or the whole state? Look at each one of those problem areas individually and try to find the cause.

Looking at the cause and finding a solution without trampling on the rights of legal citizen should be priority. If Granny lives on the Southside of Chicago taking her .38 revolver from her bedside does not help her be safer or live any longer. The money and time spent on banning guns were to be diverted to finding the cause in high crime areas and implementing a solution would have a better outcome for granny and future citizens.

Nor am I naive and believe the sole reason for increases in crime in given areas are related to guns or no guns. In cities that allow guns we find areas with low crime and areas with high crime. The low and high crime area may have the same amount of people and the same amount of guns. Now in a very gun restrictive city you have the bad crime areas and the low crime areas. Reverse the laws to mirror the other and you will still have high crime and low crime areas. So guns do not seem to be the cause of crime so as a society we really need to zero in on the cause and help decrease the crime rate even more instead of just trying to pass feel good laws that restrict law abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves.
    10-29-2013 10:37 AM
    Isn't a crazy person crazy before they decide to go crazy?

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    Totally thought about that before posting... Decided to leave it in to emphasize crazy
    10-29-2013 10:41 AM
    Protection of myself and my family is a practical and meaningful use to me, but thats just me. If you choose not to protect yourself, that is your business.
    Well said, NoYankees44!
    10-29-2013 01:59 PM
    Gimme a grenade launcher and watch me get rowdy.
    Watch out for that collateral damage!

Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned the grenade launcher. I believe it's legal to own one as long as you apply to the ATF and pay a tax stamp.
    10-29-2013 03:08 PM
    Would you have a problem if you used a taser on someone and that person died of a heart attack from the electricity?

Alternatively, would you have a problem if you called the police, and the police shot and killed the intruder?

In any case, I would support your choice to use a taser. It's a perfectly valid option for self-defense.
    10-29-2013 03:18 PM
    Watch out for that collateral damage!

Anyway, I'm glad you mentioned the grenade launcher. I believe it's legal to own one as long as you apply to the ATF and pay a tax stamp.
    I should go purchase a grenade launcher just because.
    10-29-2013 05:14 PM
    I should go purchase a grenade launcher just because.
    I have looked at purchasing an ar15 just for that reason lol
    10-29-2013 05:18 PM
    I have looked at purchasing an ar15 just for that reason lol
    So have I. The reason that I haven't purchased an AR15 yet is because I live in an apartment and the gun would be with all of my guns, except my Glock G31, at my parents house in my safe there. Perhaps when I move into a house or something I will make the purchase.
    10-29-2013 05:49 PM
    There is a difference between not protecting yourself and protecting yourself with a taser.
    10-29-2013 07:34 PM
    There is a difference between not protecting yourself and protecting yourself with a taser.
    There is, and there are different risks associated with each. Just as there are when you to take up any weapon.

One is arguably safer to use. One is arguably more effective at neutralizing a threat. There are always different levels of risk just as there are different levels of protection.
    10-29-2013 09:13 PM
    So have I. The reason that I haven't purchased an AR15 yet is because I live in an apartment and the gun would be with all of my guns, except my Glock G31, at my parents house in my safe there. Perhaps when I move into a house or something I will make the purchase.
    If I got one it would be a similar story actually. I do not yet have a gun safe and would not want to keep it with me until I do.

On a side note, I am looking at maybe getting a Glock 19 for carry.
    10-29-2013 09:23 PM
    When you go outside of your house, you also have to remember that some places have their own rules. For example, the Mall of America (in Minnesota) bans all firearms on the premises. What if a person decides to go crazy there? I suppose your only option is to go run and hide until mall security or the police arrive on the scene.
    10-29-2013 09:27 PM

So, what if you have a taser, and the criminal has a gun? The fact still remains that the only thing that stops a bad person with a gun is a good person with a gun (or a grenade launcher). It's peace by superior fire power. And, as previously asked, what if a police officer arrives and shoots the criminal? That's ok right?

As for bars on the windows and doors...what if your house catches on fire in the middle of the night and you can't get out? Or what if the criminal follows your wife into the house when she comes home? Plus, you have to leave your house sometime...

Ultimately your safety and security is up to you. You can't expect the police to get there in time to save you. A big part of being armed is situational awareness. Typically people who are armed pay more attention to their surroundings and are better able to AVOID a threat because they are of a defensive mindset.

And the comparison to the wild west always makes me laugh...people obviously watch way too much tv.

Sent from my XT926 using Tapatalk
    10-29-2013 09:49 PM
    When you go outside of your house, you also have to remember that some places have their own rules. For example, the Mall of America (in Minnesota) bans all firearms on the premises. What if a person decides to go crazy there? I suppose your only option is to go run and hide until mall security or the police arrive on the scene.
    Yeah your pretty much screwed. Maniacs target gun free zones. I would hope that there is more readily available security in places like that, but we all know that that is not the case too often.
    10-30-2013 05:31 AM
4,617 ... 141142143144145 ...