07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 144145146147148 ...
tools
    Yep, just paid $540 to get new tires on my wife's car last week.

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    I hate having to replace my tires. I feel like no matter where I go that I am getting ripped off.
    qxr likes this.
    11-06-2013 08:13 PM
    Everyone getting tires, make sure you get an alignment right after and save the receipt. If not, your warranty could be voided. I have delt with this before
    qxr likes this.
    11-06-2013 09:09 PM
    The Victoria Cross is the highest Australian medal for bravery, correct?
    Yes. Poor guys dad died when he was 15 and a few year later his mother went missing and never found. So he joined the army. His speech was amazing.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    qxr likes this.
    11-07-2013 12:04 AM
    The 2nd amendment being one very clear sentence being replace with another sentence that does not represent the original sentence makes no sense at all.
    Let me see if I can come up with a good summary. How about "the people have the right to own and use firearms"? Does that capture the meaning of the Second Amendment adequately?
    11-07-2013 04:55 AM
    Let me see if I can come up with a good summary. How about "the people have the right to own and use firearms"? Does that capture the meaning of the Second Amendment adequately?
    Amendments do tend to be vague, but it being somewhat vague and over half of the words having nothing to do with the modern context or being applicable in any way is part of what it's misunderstood now. I wouldn't limit it to firearms (there are other types of arms) and own and use might not be most accurate either.
    11-07-2013 05:11 AM
    I like the way they wrote the 2nd. I think it is elegant in its simplicity. JMO.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    plumbrich likes this.
    11-07-2013 09:53 AM
    Like qxr " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " it is elegant in its simplicity. Pretty clear on both parts.
    11-07-2013 10:31 AM
    Like qxr " A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. " it is elegant in its simplicity. Pretty clear on both parts.
    ...and of course when they wrote that they didn't have idiots running around dressed as the Joker in bullet proof clothing with 100 round magazines shooting people for fun in movie theaters. Times change.
    Fairclough and msndrstood like this.
    11-07-2013 10:49 AM
    I wouldn't limit it to firearms (there are other types of arms) and own and use might not be most accurate either.
    Could I use "weapons" in place of "firearms"? Also, what scenario is left out if I only mention "own and use"?
    11-07-2013 11:00 AM
    ...and of course when they wrote that they didn't have idiots running around dressed as the Joker in bullet proof clothing with 100 round magazines shooting people for fun in movie theaters. Times change.
    And of course following protocol, you blame the guns...

We could focus on societal issues causing causing mass murders. We could focus more on security and getting more competent, well trained citizens armed. We could accept the fact some people go crazy and do crazy things and that those people will find away to hurt others regardless.

But no all of that is hard. All of that promotes personal responsibility. All of that fights the notion that we can make the world is perfect. So lets instead disarm law abiding citizens and take away their right to defend themselves. I am sure that will keep outlaws from getting guns. I am sure that it will stop people from going crazy. I mean punishing the many because of a few is good right?
    gamefreak715 and qxr like this.
    11-07-2013 12:35 PM
    Yes. Poor guys dad died when he was 15 and a few year later his mother went missing and never found. So he joined the army. His speech was amazing.

I will have to look it up. Thanks for posting that.
    11-07-2013 12:48 PM

We could focus on societal issues causing causing mass murders. We could focus more on security and getting more competent, well trained citizens armed. We could accept the fact some people go crazy and do crazy things and that those people will find away to hurt others regardless.

But no all of that is hard. All of that promotes personal responsibility. All of that fights the notion that we can make the world is perfect. So lets instead disarm law abiding citizens and take away their right to defend themselves. I am sure that will keep outlaws from getting guns. I am sure that it will stop people from going crazy. I mean punishing the many because of a few is good right?
    But it is so much easier to blame guns.
    11-07-2013 12:49 PM

Are you kidding me?

There is an epidemic of gun violence in America and something needs to change. Do you realize what would have happened if James Holmes went into that theater and everyone was armed? I do, I had CQC (Close Quarters Combat) training in the military and I can tell you that there would have been a 101 mistakes made by the general population and many more bodies carried out.

Arming the public won't work. The criminal has the element of surprise. If someone sticks a gun in your face, it's too late, that's element of surprise. If you try to draw your weapon, your dead.

Switzerland has a 2nd amendment to their constitutional just like ours dealing with the right to bear arms and they don't have a problem with gun violence. What is Switzerland doing differently? The first thing that needs to go is the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to protect gun makers from lawsuits when their guns are used to murder and maim.
    11-07-2013 03:35 PM
    Terrorism is working perfectly in america. We are being scared into submission by attackers and people decide to take liberty away for 1% of safety. We now have people afraid to fly, go the mall and people think guns kill. Its the Anti Gun people that are taking our rights away. They're scaring everyone.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    11-07-2013 03:51 PM
    But it is so much easier to blame guns.
    I will have to look it up. Thanks for posting that.
    I remember learning in my Government class last week that when in Chicago(I think it's Chicago) they banned guns for a week, murder rates tripled.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    qxr likes this.
    11-07-2013 03:53 PM
    Are you kidding me?

There is an epidemic of gun violence in America and something needs to change. Do you realize what would have happened if James Holmes went into that theater and everyone was armed? I do, I had CQC (Close Quarters Combat) training in the military and I can tell you that there would have been a 101 mistakes made by the general population and many more bodies carried out.

Arming the public won't work. The criminal has the element of surprise. If someone sticks a gun in your face, it's too late, that's element of surprise. If you try to draw your weapon, your dead.

Switzerland has a 2nd amendment to their constitutional just like ours dealing with the right to bear arms and they don't have a problem with gun violence. What is Switzerland doing differently? The first thing that needs to go is the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to protect gun makers from lawsuits when their guns are used to murder and maim.
    What? Are you insane? That would destroy the gun industry. Do we sue beer companies or car companies when drunk drivers kill people. Why is it their fault that someone miss uses on of their products?

I guess if you cannot constitutionally get your agenda passed, you just destroy the industry providing the products you dislike.

Yes let's look at Switzerland and other places that do not have these problems. I guarantee that societal issues are what is to blame. Not the guns. Granted if your child is too immature for something, you take it away from them. I personally enjoy the idea of personal responsibility and fixing societal issues, but if you had rather have the government have the power of parents over the citizens of this country, it's your freedom to want your rights taken away.
    qxr and plumbrich like this.
    11-07-2013 04:01 PM
    What? Are you insane? That would destroy the gun industry. Do we sue beer companies or car companies when drunk drivers kill people. Why is it their fault that someone miss uses on of their products?

I guess if you cannot constitutionally get your agenda passed, you just destroy the industry providing the products you dislike.

Yes let's look at Switzerland and other places that do not have these problems. I guarantee that societal issues are what is to blame. Not the guns. Granted if your child is too immature for something, you take it away from them. I personally enjoy the idea of personal responsibility and fixing societal issues, but if you had rather have the government have the power of parents over the citizens of this country, it's your freedom to want your rights taken away.
    LOL! What a comparison. Beer and cars aren't made to kill and maim. I am also not afraid of the government. I also don't believe Alex Jones when he says a black helicopter with Globalist will come to take my guns. Why are you so afraid and paranoid of the government?
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-07-2013 04:22 PM
    LOL! What a comparison. Beer and cars aren't made to kill and maim. I am also not afraid of the government. I also don't believe Alex Jones when he says a black helicopter with Globalist will come to take my guns. Why are you so afraid and paranoid of the government?
    Historically there is solid precedent with almost no exceptions of governments being incapable of regulating themselves, so a certain amount of vigilance on our part is indeed wise, along with well thought out proactive strategies concerning our interactions.... paranoia is another thing entirely, it's unhealthy and it's making it easier for the government to control, rather than stopping or slowing the avalanche. Distract, distract, distract.
    qxr likes this.
    11-07-2013 04:26 PM
    Historically there is solid precedent with almost no exceptions of governments being incapable of regulating themselves, so a certain amount of vigilance on our part is indeed wise, along with well thought out proactive strategies concerning our interactions.... paranoia is another thing entirely, it's unhealthy and it's making it easier for the government to control, rather than stopping or slowing the avalanche. Distract, distract, distract.
    Here's the thing, I was in the military. Others who have posted in this thread were in the military. Does anyone here really think that if we got some crazy order to shoot civilians, we would do it? That's just nuts. Like some crazy Alex Jones Globalist under an evil mind control.
    11-07-2013 04:34 PM
    Guns are made to neutralize threats. Killing just happens to be a side effect of that goal. Punishing a company for having a product that does exactly what it was designed to do is as stupid an idea as I have ever heard.

I am not paranoid. I just know history. I also know that those that have power over you should always be questioned and kept in check. If not, those will only increase their power over you. Power is NEVER given back without force. I personally do not find the idea of a civil war entertaining. Keeping the government in check now will save millions later. Every inch of power they are allowed to take will never be given back without a heavy price.

If you want to be a fool and give your freedoms away, you are more than free to do so. I will do everything in my power to make sure that choice stays available to you and everyone else.
    11-07-2013 04:41 PM
    Here's the thing, I was in the military. Others who have posted in this thread were in the military. Does anyone here really think that if we got some crazy order to shoot civilians, we would do it? That's just nuts. Like some crazy Alex Jones Globalist under an evil mind control.
    I will say this, governments have turned on their people before. When people get trampled in life most of the time its because of a " they wouldn't do that" or a " it wont happen here" attitude. There are many examples of bad situations in history that followed the passing of extreme gun control measures. Being afraid of the government is not the question, I don't trust the government.

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    11-07-2013 04:44 PM
    I like the way they wrote the 2nd. I think it is elegant in its simplicity. JMO.
    That's a fair point. What if I summarized the Second Amendment as "the people have the right to own and use weapons"? It may be less elegant, but does it retain the same meaning as the original version of the Second Amendment?
    11-07-2013 05:03 PM
    That's a fair point. What if I summarized the Second Amendment as "the people have the right to own and use weapons"? It may be less elegant, but does it retain the same meaning as the original version of the Second Amendment?
    I will say this, governments have turned on their people before. When people get trampled in life most of the time its because of a " they wouldn't do that" or a " it wont happen here" attitude. There are many examples of bad situations in history that followed the passing of extreme gun control measures. Being afraid of the government is not the question, I don't trust the government.

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    Guns are made to neutralize threats. Killing just happens to be a side effect of that goal. Punishing a company for having a product that does exactly what it was designed to do is as stupid an idea as I have ever heard.

I am not paranoid. I just know history. I also know that those that have power over you should always be questioned and kept in check. If not, those will only increase their power over you. Power is NEVER given back without force. I personally do not find the idea of a civil war entertaining. Keeping the government in check now will save millions later. Every inch of power they are allowed to take will never be given back without a heavy price.

If you want to be a fool and give your freedoms away, you are more than free to do so. I will do everything in my power to make sure that choice stays available to you and everyone else.

Tl; Dr

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    11-07-2013 06:35 PM
    Guns don't kill people. People kill people. It doesn't matter if you take away guns, I can still walk into school with a knife and kill as many people as I want, just like a gun. There is no perfect society. There will always be threats. About 3 weeks ago my Government teacher said, out of the 270days that have passed 260 of them have involved a shooting of more than 4 people. You can't take away guns, only keep them away from the wrong people which is something America is failing to do because we don't have the money to do psychiatric testing, yet we have the money to spend 4 billion dollars on new ships and 4 billion on nuclear weapons we'll never use

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    11-07-2013 06:40 PM
    I just hate being oppressed by the government here not having guns.

Our teenage murder rates are so much higher
    /end of sarcasm.
    It's funny because teenage murders are 82x higher in america per capita

11-07-2013 07:40 PM
4,617 ... 144145146147148 ...