07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 145146147148149 ...
tools
    I just hate being oppressed by the government here not having guns.

Our teenage murder rates are so much higher
    /end of sarcasm.
    It's funny because teenage murders are 82x higher in america per capita

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    That has to do with our crappy parenting in America. Oh your son got mad? Instead of talking to him, you ground him. He doesn't even know wtf he did

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    plumbrich and qxr like this.
    11-07-2013 09:22 PM
    I don't think the 2nd amendment should be rewritten. It will always be interpreted differently by different people. Let the lawyers worry about that.
    qxr likes this.
    11-08-2013 12:53 AM
    I don't think the 2nd amendment should be rewritten. It will always be interpreted differently by different people. Let the lawyers worry about that.
    No one is asking to rewrite the Second Amendment, but we are interested in editing an AP history book.
    11-08-2013 01:38 AM
    It doesn't matter if you take away guns, I can still walk into school with a knife and kill as many people as I want, just like a gun.
    Try that while someone is zapping you with a Taser. You'll be lucky if you can stand upright while the electricity is flowing through your body.
    11-08-2013 01:41 AM
    Try that while someone is zapping you with a Taser. You'll be lucky if you can stand upright while the electricity is flowing through your body.
    I'm just saying, you can do the same amount of damage from a gun with a knife

11-08-2013 07:02 AM
    How close do you need to be with a taser?
    How many shots do you have with a taser if you miss?
    My weapon does not need batteries. I have c.c. for years and I do not take my responsibility lightly. I c.c. for my personal protection and that of my family and friends. It is not for the last word in an argument nor will it ever be for that purpose.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-08-2013 07:41 AM
    My weapon does not need batteries. I have c.c. for years and I do not take my responsibility lightly. I c.c. for my personal protection and that of my family and friends. It is not for the last word in an argument nor will it ever be for that purpose.

A taser can only bring you down, it can't kill so it's pretty useless if someone attacks you. Meant more for a surprise attack

qxr likes this.
    11-08-2013 07:45 AM
    I remember learning in my Government class last week that when in Chicago(I think it's Chicago) they banned guns for a week, murder rates tripled.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    I hope that you were not surprised. The thing that people do not realize is that criminals do not follow the law, only those of us legal gun owners.
    qxr likes this.
    11-08-2013 12:49 PM
    Do we sue beer companies or car companies when drunk drivers kill people. Why is it their fault that someone miss uses on of their products?
    Don't even get me started on this topic. Following this logic I could sue Ford and Budwiser because I got arrested for drunk driving. It is not Glock or Remington's fault that PEOPLE misuse their products. Yes, people are the problem, not guns.
    qxr likes this.
    11-08-2013 01:00 PM
    I'm just saying, you can do the same amount of damage from a gun with a knife
    We agree that a person can kill or injure others with either one, but I think the casualties would be higher if you used something like a semiautomatic pistol. For example, a shooter could hit someone down the hallway, but someone with a knife needs to be within arm's reach.
    11-08-2013 01:40 PM
    We agree that a person can kill or injure others with either one, but I think the casualties would be higher if you used something like a semiautomatic pistol. For example, a shooter could hit someone down the hallway, but someone with a knife needs to be within arm's reach.
    Or, you could take a gun away from an individual and he could go into a busy mall or theatre with a bomb suit on. How did he know how to make a bomb you say? On the internet? Well, lets ban the internet then...lol

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    qxr and gamefreak715 like this.
    11-08-2013 02:02 PM
    I think concealed carry is a viable self-defense tactic. However, the hypothetical scenario alexlam24 proposed said that guns were taken away. I took that to mean that firearms were not an option.

With a Taser, you can be outside the range of a knife swing to be effective. However, you do make a good point about missing your target. A Taser has a contact electrode as a backup. It basically acts as a stun gun, but you need to be close to use it. Still, it's better than nothing.
    11-08-2013 02:12 PM
    A taser can only bring you down, it can't kill so it's pretty useless if someone attacks you. Meant more for a surprise attack
    I don't always need to kill to defend myself. If I can bring down an assailant, I can then disarm and restrain him until the police arrive. I would say the Taser would be pretty useful in this instance.
    11-08-2013 02:19 PM
    A competent knife wielder can take down an opponent from 7 yards before a firearm (or anything else) can be brought to bear. Both by throwing (generally a bad idea) and closing the distance. Outside of 7 yards, a knife is useless to most people.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    jdbii likes this.
    11-08-2013 03:40 PM
    A competent knife wielder can take down an opponent from 7 yards before a firearm (or anything else) can be brought to bear. Both by throwing (generally a bad idea) and closing the distance. Outside of 7 yards, a knife is useless to most people.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    I can take them down from thirty feet by discussing Obamacare.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    qxr and plumbrich like this.
    11-08-2013 06:30 PM
    Obama Care? MORE LIKE OBAMA SCARE!

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    11-09-2013 01:39 AM
    I've seen a few women openly carrying guns here in Atlanta.

Law says as long as you have a permit, you can carry

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    y'all need to come to ky. I can open carry with no permit at all. I do as at all times. There are a few places I can't but noy many. I can get a concealed carry but I have no need. There also aren't as many checks on purchasing guns here

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    11-09-2013 02:26 AM
    Great, bragging about not many checks. Should be bragging about the amount of nutters who shouldn't have a gun obtaining one.

The thing I don't get. Why open carry, a criminal would shoot you first.

Bit of thought. Your society you have a gun to protect yourself from a criminal because they will have a gun. Over no one buys a gun because they don't have ease of access to guns.

I heard the debate small people can't protect themselves previously in this thread. Absolute lie, I have seen a 45kg person get picked on by a 120kg person... The 45kg person dropped and clean knocked out the bigger person.

palandri likes this.
    11-09-2013 05:10 AM
    Great, bragging about not many checks. Should be bragging about the amount of nutters who shouldn't have a gun obtaining one.

Bit of thought. Your society you have a gun to protect yourself from a criminal because they will have a gun. Over no one buys a gun because they don't have ease of access to guns.

I heard the debate small people can't protect themselves previously in this thread. Absolute lie, I have seen a 45kg person get picked on by a 120kg person... The 45kg person dropped and clean knocked out the bigger person.

On average, smaller people, CAN have lesser of a chance in a struggle/conflict. Also, the argument is generally used on behalf of women more. And as far as access to firearms, people with a criminal mentality will get them, illegally.

qxr likes this.
    11-09-2013 05:29 AM
    On average, smaller people, CAN have lesser of a chance in a struggle/conflict. Also, the argument is generally used on behalf of women more. And as far as access to firearms, people with a criminal mentality will get them, illegally.

I think between me and my girlfriend she will win in a fight haha. She can punch (guess being the only girl with brothers does that) ahaha. Maybe that's just my girlfriend.

If you put someone on a probation period, where they can't take the arms home for a time frame and only at the range. How will the deranged person act? Not sure about you but I'm sure most mental unstable shooting spree people won't wait 6 months to do it.

11-09-2013 06:47 AM
    I think between me and my girlfriend she will win in a fight haha. She can punch (guess being the only girl with brothers does that) ahaha. Maybe that's just my girlfriend.

If you put someone on a probation period, where they can't take the arms home for a time frame and only at the range. How will the deranged person act? Not sure about you but I'm sure most mental unstable shooting spree people won't wait 6 months to do it.

Interesting. Really. I do not always agree with you but a 6 month waiting period is interesting. I would wait but I already c.c. I am not sure somone seeking the weapon for self defense has 6 months but your idea is interesting.
    How would you handle the criminals in the big cities like Chicago? They have the toughest gun laws in our country and a weekly barrage of gang violence leading to innocent people caught in the crossfire. Their guns are not legal and not licensed.

Fairclough likes this.
    11-09-2013 07:10 AM
    ....The thing I don't get. Why open carry, a criminal would shoot you first....
    Good question. I've been to Kentucky numerous times and I've never seen anybody open carry. Since open carry is not the norm, he would certainly bring a lot of attention to himself.

Once again, what people have a hard time understanding is the element of surprise that a criminal has. If someone points a gun in your face and says give me your money, it's too late to draw your gun. If you try to draw your gun in that situation, you're dead before you even get it out of the holster.
    Fairclough likes this.
    11-09-2013 08:16 AM

My state allows open carry with no permit. Many do. And I have never heard of someone carrying commit a murder.

I personally am not a fan of open carry for the reason you stated, but if someone else wants to do it then go for it.

You act like it is cut and dry. There are millions if not billions of guns in this country. They will be here forever no matter what the ignorant politicians legislate.

Let's pretend that we live in that perfect world that will never happen for a minute and say all the guns in America just vanished. The criminals would have them replaced within a month. They would become our newest best selling illegal import. By land, by sea, and by air, the guns would come back in record numbers. The only people that would not have them is the general public.

In order to promote and maintain a civil society, you discourage violent interactions. The only way to truly discourage these interactions is by putting everyone on an equal playing field. If everyone carried out in public, no one generally would be able to force others to do anything. As it stands right now, a smaller/elderly/physically challenged person can be forced by a large trained man to do whatever he wants. Period. If both had a pistol, they would be both on equal playing fields and his forcing would be better kept in check.
    11-09-2013 08:24 AM
    Good question. I've been to Kentucky numerous times and I've never seen anybody open carry. Since open carry is not the norm, he would certainly bring a lot of attention to himself.

Once again, what people have a hard time understanding is the element of surprise that a criminal has. If someone points a gun in your face and says give me your money, it's too late to draw your gun. If you try to draw your gun in that situation, you're dead before you even get it out of the holster.
    At least I would have a gun. If I'm CC he wouldn't know I had a gun then the surprise would be on him. I know it doesn't prevent every one but I bet the possibility of a firearm being present but not seen deters some crime. Take robbery for instance. A friend of mine owns a convenience store across the street from another. He is open carry in his store as well as 2 of his employees. No attempted robbery in his store in 6 years whereas the store across the street has been robbed 5 times in that period.

11-09-2013 08:25 AM
    At least I would have a gun. If I'm CC he wouldn't know I had a gun then the surprise would be on him.....
    Good luck with that. Make a sudden move to your waist, your arm pit or your leg in a situation like that and see what happens.

A friend of mine owns a convenience store across the street from another. He is open carry in his store as well as 2 of his employees. No attempted robbery in his store in 6 years whereas the store across the street has been robbed 5 times in that period.
    That makes sense. The criminal is going to take the easier target. Now lets say both stores arm themselves, are the criminal going to go elsewhere? Would personal muggings go up instead? If they continue robbing convenience stores, the criminal still has the element of surprise and would probably be a little more jumpy if the store is armed.
    11-09-2013 08:46 AM
4,617 ... 145146147148149 ...