07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 164165166167168 ...
tools
    To me and you with access to our own personal transportation, it's no big deal, but to many people out there that don't have access to transportation, it's an affront to disenfranchising the poor, the sick, the elderly. I know you may find this hard to believe, but just because you have the means to cope with something, it doesn't mean that everyone does. Empathy, I invite you to go look it up.

Also, go research the amount of voter fraud that actually takes place. These attempts at limiting what rarely exists to begin with, smells more like voter disenfranchisement to me.

How do they make it to the polls if they aren't ambulatory?
    12-24-2013 10:34 AM
    Looked into it. Case seems to be primarily concerned with cutting early voting times, etc. The part about id's just because some other the number of people that don't have them are minority. Thus of course we have to make it a race issue. And the argument is still about having to get an ID, just like I stated.

If I show up and vote for John doe, and John doe never shows up to vote himself, how would that be catch able? You are right, it is not rocket science.
    There was also an issue in some certain districts in FL if I'm not mistaken. If you look at how the system is set up, a lot of poor minimum wage jobs don't give someone the right to take off from work early WITH PAY so that they may exercise their right to vote. Some employers don't even give their employees the right to take off to vote even if they take NO pay. I remember when I worked for Walmart, shortly after HS, I was told that taking time off from work would count against my attendance.

I'm sure the reaction I'll get from this video will be along the lines of, 'but he's a libural that hates murica'. You're more than welcome to find a video from a fox news source, or any other source that counters it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=f62BHH4xM...%3Df62BHH4xMXw

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk 2
    12-24-2013 12:41 PM
    I've never worked for a company that does allow time off for voting. With the various ways people can vote early/absentee/extended hours, it's not even necessary to need to take off that specific day.
    12-24-2013 02:17 PM
    No company allows employees to vote while on the clock. That is just more bs. Every eligible voter has the exact same opportunity to vote. Period. To suggest otherwise is huge load of obamacare. (Aka ****)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    12-24-2013 03:06 PM
    No company allows employees to vote while on the clock. That is just more bs. Every eligible voter has the exact same opportunity to vote. Period. To suggest otherwise is huge load of obamacare. (Aka ****)

Unions many times guarantee a paid day off on election day. It's their way of encouraging their members to vote the way their Union wants them to.
    12-24-2013 03:39 PM
    Not surprised. Does the union pay it or is it part of the contract with the employer?

12-24-2013 03:57 PM
    Unions many times guarantee a paid day off on election day. It's their way of encouraging their members to vote the way their Union wants them to.
    Not surprised. Does the union pay it or is it part of the contract with the employer?

I am a blue collar, working class, union electrician. First off, the workers are the union, and the union is the workers. They are "not" two separate entities. We vote for the candidates that best represent the working class. Every job that you work on has standards that you have to meet. If you don't meet the standards and get the require amount of work done every single day, you'll get laid off in a heartbeat.

We have no provision in our contract to take paid time off to vote. Other locals may have that provision in their contract, but it would be a provision that they bargained for during negotiations that both sides agreed is fair. Nothing is forced on anybody and both sides have to agree a contract is fair.
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-24-2013 05:00 PM
    No company allows employees to vote while on the clock. That is just more bs.

Where do you get this from?
    I'd really like to know.

I worked for a major, MAJOR telecommunications company for many years and we were always given time to vote while we were out working. (to me, time better spent as an extended lunch :beer:)

This is a signature.
    12-24-2013 05:15 PM
    It sounds like since you were "out working" anyway the company allowed you to go vote. Did they allow the office workers to go out, not on their lunch, to vote while being paid??

Nokia 1520
    12-24-2013 05:20 PM
    It sounds like since you were "out working" anyway the company allowed you to go vote. Did they allow the office workers to go out, not on their lunch, to vote while being paid??

Nokia 1520
    I think they were expected to vote during lunch and to be back within a reasonable time.

This is a signature.
    12-24-2013 05:30 PM
    This thread needs more complaining about minimum wage and complaints about the economy because that's what most union workers do anyways.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    12-24-2013 05:47 PM
    This thread needs more complaining about minimum wage and complaints about the economy because that's what most union workers do anyways.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

This is a signature.
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.
    12-24-2013 05:48 PM
    Mikhail Kalashnikov, inventor of AK-47, dies at 94 - CNN.com

He created a legendary gun, and if nothing else, he deserves credit for that.
    12-24-2013 11:37 PM
    Epic is probably a better word.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    12-25-2013 12:36 AM
    This is so so so so very sad!!
    Hopefully the inventors of other machine guns, grenades, grenade launchers, surface-to-air missiles, etc are still alive and well!

This is a signature.
    12-25-2013 03:42 AM
    I hear that Russia really got a bang out of his life.
    12-25-2013 05:42 AM
    I've never worked for a company that does allow time off for voting. With the various ways people can vote early/absentee/extended hours, it's not even necessary to need to take off that specific day.
    And what jobs have you held, exactly? When I worked salary I was told that I could make time to go and would just make up the time later (followed by a wink wink nudge nudge), I guess based on another person's ASSumptions, that means the company wanted me to vote their way.

Careful, that koolaid is going to give you a heartattack. As far as every person being given the same opportunity, is that why some voting districts are limiting their early voting, why some voting districts had lines that required people to wait hours to vote? What are you going to tell me next that every person has the exact same amount of opportunity for success? Sounds like a bunch of 'They have WMDs' (bull****) to me.

But I will say this, I appreciate the participitation of discussion and not just mindless troll submissions that neither convey a clear message nor state one's position (who knows, maybe they're shy or scared?!). I'm thinking maybe someone's position in life was afforded them by 'big daddy' and the only claim to fame is some material item that they feel the need to show the world via a small avatar thumbnail or something?!?

As much as some people do try to detract a conversation, (whether they are too afraid of hanging it out there or they managed to get through all their schooling with little talent and daddy's deep pockets and thus cannot manage to articulate much more than, 'murica gewd, unions bad!') these types of discussions are healthy for democracy to thrive. The founding fathers were right in trying to ensure that free speech be allowed (by even the monosyllabic speaking trolls) by all members and classes in a democracy. Those that would try to shout down someone's free speech, or try to lessen one's speech through acts of ridicule or intimidation, they are the antagonists of democracy and the fascilitators of tyranny. If it wasn't for our founding fathers dissent, America wouldn't exist today.

12-25-2013 08:20 AM
    Let's return to topics rather than personally targeting others.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    12-25-2013 08:48 AM
    And what jobs have you held, exactly? When I worked salary I was told that I could make time to go and would just make up the time later (followed by a wink wink nudge nudge), I guess based on another person's ASSumptions, that means the company wanted me to vote their way.
    One was retail where I early voted or after work, though could usually vote early that day because I worked mostly nights. The only other job is my current one and have either voted day of, early, or absentee depending on my time off and location due to work.
    12-25-2013 12:42 PM
    One was retail where I early voted or after work, though could usually vote early that day because I worked mostly nights. The only other job is my current one and have either voted day of, early, or absentee depending on my time off and location due to work.
    So 2 jobs? Doesn't exactly back up your earlier assertion. I had 6 jobs under my belt by the age of 23 (part time jobs and family relocating). Since then I worked in Engineering (was encouraged to take time off to vote) for a microprocessor manufacturer, and have been in the IT industry since. Based on the position I was working, I noticed a difference in whether or not they were ok with me taking off to vote.

12-25-2013 07:01 PM
    What we need more than anything is more than the 2 choices presented in most general elections. We talk about voting like we're really being given a choice. Not so much. The 2 party system is broken IMO.
    12-25-2013 07:13 PM
    So 2 jobs? Doesn't exactly back up your earlier assertion. I had 6 jobs under my belt by the age of 23 (part time jobs and family relocating). Since then I worked in Engineering (was encouraged to take time off to vote) for a microprocessor manufacturer, and have been in the IT industry since. Based on the position I was working, I noticed a difference in whether or not they were ok with me taking off to vote.

My assertion, as you put it, was that one doesn't have to have the entire day off with all the various ways one can vote. Even though I've only worked two places affecting voting, I've had a fair bit of variability. And of the third job I've had, I didn't work there long enough too go through a voting cycle but would have voted after I was off work anyway.
    12-25-2013 07:22 PM
    My assertion, as you put it, was that one doesn't have to have the entire day off with all the various ways one can vote. Even though I've only worked two places affecting voting, I've had a fair bit of variability. And of the third job I've had, I didn't work there long enough too go through a voting cycle but would have voted after I was off work anyway.
    That might be why you haven't noticed many employers giving time off. I never had any employers giving me time off if I worked a 2nd or 3rd shift. When I worked between the hours of 8-5, it would depend on the position I held as to whether or not my employer would be ok with me taking time off to vote.

12-25-2013 08:12 PM
    The real question is do we really think any election has been decided because a very few people, for whatever reason, couldn't vote?? Probably not. Not even 2000.

12-25-2013 09:07 PM
    If an employer wants to give time off to vote, paid or not, then that's a nice benefit to have. But your original point in all this was about employers not giving people that time off and seem to be missing my point that it's unnecessary given the other options available.
    12-25-2013 09:12 PM
4,617 ... 164165166167168 ...