07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 167168169170171 ...
tools
    Whenever somebody runs to the pedestal like that, it's for their 15 minutes of fame. Look at what I've done for God and Country! They're looking for praise. To me, that 100% phoney bologna.
    Does this apply to groups such as The American Red Cross, when they push a blood drive, or asked for volunteers after 911, or The Salvation Army after they helped out in the aftermath of Katrina, or is it more selective?
    01-06-2014 05:22 PM
    Does this apply to groups such as The American Red Cross, when they push a blood drive, or asked for volunteers after 911, or The Salvation Army after they helped out in the aftermath of Katrina, or is it more selective?
    You're trying to split hairs here. I gave you my opinion and it's pretty cut and dry. Does the American Red Cross hop on a pedestal and say, we are not supplying any aid to the Pakistan Red Cross, due to the possible of the aid helping the enemy, and they're doing it for God and Country?

Maybe I should call Fox News and tell them that I am in a fight with eBay for refusing to sell my extra copies Call of Duty to anyone from Pakistan, not that they would do anything bad with them, but if they fall into the wrong hands, it could be detrimental to our troops. Our true American heroes. I just feel I have a duty to God and Country. Then I can get my 15 minutes of Patriot fame and be praises as a true American hero..
    01-06-2014 05:44 PM
    And further more, when the Pakistani government began soliciting bids to arm their military, Desert Tech threw their hat into the ring. So it was a bid they knew they would turn down so they could hop on their pedestal and then get praised for being true American Heroes. That's 100% phoney bologna and you took it hook, line and sinker.
    01-06-2014 06:21 PM
    It is possible that the bid was submitted in good faith, but at a later date the company decided that they could not fulfill it without putting our troops at risk..
    cdmjlt369 likes this.
    01-06-2014 07:07 PM
    And further more, when the Pakistani government began soliciting bids to arm their military, Desert Tech threw their hat into the ring. So it was a bid they knew they would turn down so they could hop on their pedestal and then get praised for being true American Heroes. That's 100% phoney bologna and you took it hook, line and sinker.
    Or maybe there is a legitimate reason. Maybe an event or personal conviction of some kind. People can have a change of heart unless we're talking about guns? Maybe they put the bid and came across research that showed it could end up harming Americans. IMO the whole 15 minutes of fame deal doesn't hold up. Give up Millions of $$$ for 15 minutes? They were already getting press. Maybe someone's moral compass got adjusted.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    01-06-2014 07:10 PM
    It's selective. The other things you mentioned didn't involve a gun(sarcasm).

01-06-2014 07:13 PM
    Or maybe there is a legitimate reason. Maybe an event or personal conviction of some kind. People can have a change of heart unless we're talking about guns? Maybe they put the bid and came across research that showed it could end up harming Americans. IMO the whole 15 minutes of fame deal doesn't hold up. Give up Millions of $$$ for 15 minutes? They were already getting press. Maybe someone's moral compass got adjusted.

Look at this:

......When Opposing Views contacted Desert Tech, a salesperson said he “didn’t know” why they sought the business in the first place, and since then Desert Tech has offered no further comment. The State Department has also not offered any comment in support or in denial of Desert Tech’s claims.

Still, there is no denying that turning down $15 million has been a fantastic marketing campaign for the company. They received “literally thousands of emails and shares [of Young’s initial Facebook posting announcing the company’s decision] from military members,” which will certainly translate to an increase in business.
    Utah Gun Manufacturer Desert Tech Pursues, Then Rejects $15 Million Arms Deal with Pakistan
    01-06-2014 07:52 PM
    Doesn't mean it was done for 15 minutes of fame. They would get attention pushing the deal through.

01-06-2014 08:16 PM
    Probably a PR stunt. Hard for me to believe that they couldn't explain why they bid and withdrew. I think the company will post an explanation in the couple days shoring up their story.

Posted via a Nexus 6 (really)
    palandri likes this.
    01-06-2014 09:50 PM
    You really think a gun company needs to pull a PR stunt to get people who want guns to buy more? Have you tried buying ammo in the last 2yrs?
    01-07-2014 10:08 AM
    You really think a gun company needs to pull a PR stunt to get people who want guns to buy more? Have you tried buying ammo in the last 2yrs?
    It is getting ridiculous. Heck i have looked into self loading just to have more reliable access.

All this gun control talk has sold more guns and ammo than a PR campaign or the world's best advertising ever could. Just shows that Americans are not ready to give up their gun rights yet whether some politicians think they are or not. Heck i cannot think of a single household that i know does not have a firearm in the house. There are very few that i am not positive have one. Everyone has guns here, yet magically people do not get spontaneously shot all the time...
    Live2ride883 likes this.
    01-07-2014 11:34 AM
    Same here. I have multiple guns of my own and will not give them up

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    01-07-2014 11:43 AM
    This is so so so so very sad!!
    Hopefully the inventors of other machine guns, grenades, grenade launchers, surface-to-air missiles, etc are still alive and well!
    Well, Eugene Stoner, the designer of the M16 rifle, passed away in 1997. I'm not sure if there are any other weapon designers on the same level as Kalashnikov who are still alive today. In fact, we may have reached the ceiling when it comes to rifles. They're basically metal tubes that shoot projectiles using a small chemical explosion. Today's rifles are more reliable and accurate, but they essentially follow the same principles as early muskets. We may have another breakthrough in weapons technology, but I don't know when that will happen.
    01-07-2014 01:55 PM
    A US gun manufacturer in Utah has refused to sell precision rifles to Pakistan, because the weapons MAY at some point be used against our troops.
    Thanks for the link to the article. If another American company steps up and fills the contract, should we condemn them because their weapons may be used against American forces?
    01-07-2014 02:01 PM
    Thanks for the link to the article. If another American company steps up and fills the contract, should we condemn them because their weapons may be used against American forces?
    Yes
    01-07-2014 02:01 PM
    Yes
    It is my understanding that such transactions require the approval of the US government. Why would the US government allow any sales to go forward if the weapons could be used against American troops?
    01-07-2014 02:19 PM
    now if they would only stop making all guns
    What an ***** you are

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
    01-07-2014 02:48 PM
    This story is really getting fishy now.

On Sunday, the US media quoted senior officials of the Desert Tech company as saying that they had turned a deal to sell weapons to Pakistan.

But when contacted by Dawn on Monday, company officials said they there never was a deal.....
    US firm claims cancelling rifles contract with Pakistan that never was - DAWN.COM
    01-07-2014 02:59 PM
    It is my understanding that such transactions require the approval of the US government. Why would the US government allow any sales to go forward if the weapons could be used against American troops?
    Our government has proven time and time again how inept they are. I trust a private company to understand that Pakistan isn't the most secure ally we have.
    01-07-2014 03:00 PM
    Our government has proven time and time again how inept they are. I trust a private company to understand that Pakistan isn't the most secure ally we have.
    I wouldn't completely trust ANY ally at this point. We can't even trust our own people.

I think signatures are stupid.

(⊙.⊙)
    01-07-2014 05:56 PM
    Well, the US military went in without Pakistan's permission to kill Osama bin Laden. They were able to finish the mission without incurring any American casualties, so they're not totally inept. Also, the US military has access to classified information, so I would expect them to know more than a private company without such access.

As far as arms sales goes, I think any company should know whether the buyer is an ally or an enemy before even submitting the bid. In any case, Desert Tech, the company in question, has learned an important lesson: Figure out who is your friend and who is your foe first. I don't expect them to make the same mistake again, especially if they want to continue making money selling weapons.
    01-07-2014 09:03 PM
    Because we've seen what the most stringent gun laws and bans have done for the crime in Chicago.
    And we have seen how they work in several countries. It is all in the execution, and the fact that we let it get too far already.
    01-08-2014 12:16 AM
    What an ***** you are

sent from RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk Pro
    why? or is that the most intelligent thing you can come up with?
    01-08-2014 12:18 AM
    More than likely these were contracts from the U.S. department of defense being bid on, then for the guns to be shipped to Pakistan. The U.S. has given billions in weapons over the past decade to Pakistan for the war on terror. Almost all weapons the U.S. has will at some point in the future be sent to a foreign country as our allies need them or they become obsolete.

If this company decided to trade millions of dollars for 15min of fame, I don't know. I still like the outcome of Pakistan not getting guns from this company and the fact this story has exploded and brings forth light on the billions in weapons sent to Pakistan.

For all I know they bid to low and after getting the contract they realized it and did this to create a diversion to try and get out of the contract penalties. Maybe they bid to low on purpose so they could go public to expose other U.S. weapons manufacturers getting these contracts?Or maybe they decided to just do the right thing? Or maybe while doing the right thing they wanted some pats on the back to help swallow their big lose? Or maybe they made the whole thing up in an attempt to shed light on what goes on in arm sales?

We could fill up a months righting on anyone's motive for any given deed.
    Either way it helped the ill informed find out about all this weapons trading to Pakistan.

As far as doing this to bring more sales is questionable, since the O has been in office U.S. gun manufactures and ammo manufacturers have been running at full capacity and still back logged. most gun manufactures in this companies skill set have a 1 year or more wait times because they are so backed up.

NoYankees44 I reload all my own ammo since 81' and the components are hard to find. most every popular projectile and powder is out of stock. Gun sales quadrupled since O got in office, he has been the biggest gun salesmen in the history of guns.
    01-08-2014 04:10 AM
    Please keep discussions on topic and productive. Personal attacks, etc are not appropriate. If you do not like a post, please either ignore it and move on or, if you feel it violates forum rules, please hit the report button. It's not a good idea to directly engage with unproductive members.
    01-08-2014 05:34 AM
4,617 ... 167168169170171 ...