07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 171172173174175 ...
tools
    I can understand your view about not having the same discussion over and over again. What would you prefer to discuss instead?

For example, I am curious about the NY SAFE ACT that was referenced previously. New York has a website dedicated to it. For example, they have an interactive tool to determine whether you need to register your weapon:

NY SAFE ACT - Registration Questionnaire

You need to register a rifle if it has the following characteristics:

A. It is semi-automatic.

B. It can accept a detachable magazine.

C. It has one or more of these features:

1. Folding or Telescoping stock
    2. Thumbhole stock
    3. Second handgrip or protruding grip that can be held by non shooting hand
    4. Protruding pistol grip
    5. Bayonet mount
    6. Flash suppressor
    7. Muzzle brake
    8. Muzzle compensator
    9. Threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash supressor, muzzle brake or compensator
    10. Grenade launcher

D. It has not been rendered permanently inoperable.

E. It is able to accept a detachable magazine holding more than 5 rounds of ammunition.

So, if your rifle doesn't meet these requirements, you don't need to register it under the NY SAFE ACT. Whether the law is good or not is up to debate, and that can be discussed on this forum.

I don't think that really does anything for gun safety or public safety. I hear pro 2nd Amendment advocates often say something like "criminals don't follow the law," and this would a pretty good example that the only people who would comply with the NY SAFE ACT would be responsible gun owners. I suppose it might help trace a stolen weapon but a responsible gun owner would have reported the theft.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-19-2014 07:48 PM
    :what:

Oh well, at least a laser sight doesn't fall into those guidelines, which is kinda surprising.
    Civilians can own grenade launchers, but they are expensive and require a lot of paperwork. This is why people use the Cobray CM203 37mm Launcher in movies:

Cobray CM203 37mm Launcher - IMFDB.com

This device can only fire 37 mm flares. It cannot fire 40 mm grenades. It is a lot easier for movie studios to get them as stand-ins for real grenade launchers.

Laser sights are not regulated under the NY SAFE Act, but they appear to fall under N.Y. ADC. Law 10-134.2 : NY Code - Section 10-134.2. The FDA also regulates them as Class IIIa radiation-emitting products.
    02-19-2014 08:42 PM
    I hear pro 2nd Amendment advocates often say something like "criminals don't follow the law," and this would a pretty good example that the only people who would comply with the NY SAFE ACT would be responsible gun owners.
    You do not have to give up your weapon. You just need to register it with the state police if your weapon does not comply with the NY SAFE Act. There is no fee for registering.
    02-19-2014 10:03 PM
    1. Anyone who refers to a magazine as a "clip" is obviously speaking out of the wrong end when it comes to guns.

2. Registration leads to confiscation.

3. A rifles cosmetic features have nothing to do with its operation. How exactly does a folding stock or a bayonet mount make a rifle more lethal?

4. It is my right and duty to defend myself and my family from harm against all enemies, foreign or domestic. This means that I am entitled to use whatever force necessary to even the playing field.

5. The vast majority of the gun laws being proposed or enacted (many using underhanded, cover of night techniques, before people even know what they contain) have absolutely no effect on the criminal use of weapons and are written by people who know nothing of the subject.

6. The right to self defense is not a matter for political bickering. There are plenty of idiots on both sides of the debate.

7. Why is it that we can have so many proposed laws on guns, so many debates on guns, but NO ONE addresses the REAL PROBLEM...the erosion of values within our society. The lack of respect for ourselves and others. The sense of ENTITLEMENT, and complete absence of work ethic. The lack of parenting and total absence of consequences for people's actions???

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
    plumbrich likes this.
    02-19-2014 11:24 PM
    So the idea with the previous questions was to find out if you guys wanted to take this in a new direction or just repeat the same course as the previous iterations. Since we are not going to plot differently, there's no point to continuing on this way. I'm sorry for those that wanted to have a different conversation.
    02-19-2014 11:30 PM
    Police Shooting Frenzy Raises Concerns « CBS Miami

Summary:
    Man robs a Walgreen's at gunpoint.

Later shoots police officer and steals patrol car.

Dumps patrol car and grabs mother's blue Volvo.

Police find and chase the man until he wrecks the Volvo.

Every police officer in that part of the country shows up and starts shooting.

Man and passenger(who committed no crime) reported to be moving after first volley of shots.

Police Start shooting again.

Kill both men. 2 police officers were also shot by police fire. 2 other police officers surffered from ruptured ear drums from all the gun fire.

23 police officers shot "at least 377 rounds" hitting the car, other cars, each other, and surrounding buildings. One hit townhouse had 12 year old and an infant inside.

Neither man inside the car was armed at the time. All of the shots were fired by policemen...

I do not even know how to react to this. The level of pure incompetence is surprising to even me. I do know one thing though, I will sure not be messing with any of the police officers in Miami Dade County.
    05-09-2014 03:00 PM
    I saw a similar story about a 93 or so year old woman being shot by an officer. Like I said in another thread, our human rights' record isn't very good as a country, and it needs to be addressed.
    05-09-2014 03:30 PM
    I didn't catch that article, but that's kind of what would have happened in Colorado if everyone was armed in that theater when that nutcase started shooting people during the Batman film. If you've never had CQC (Close Quarters Combat) or Shot/Don't Shoot training, you don't know dangerous it is and how easy it is to make a mistake, especially in a dark theater. It would have been a bloody mess. I am not trying to talk against the 2nd amendment by saying that, just that it's a very chaotic situation.

I've been seeing a lot of articles on the Albuquerque Police lately.
    At Albuquerque meeting on police shootings, silence speaks volumes - Los Angeles Times
    05-09-2014 06:45 PM
    I do not even know how to react to this. The level of pure incompetence is surprising to even me. I do know one thing though, I will sure not be messing with any of the police officers in Miami Dade County.
    There is very little that surprises me these days. I've pretty much decided to just keep my head down and let the world consume itself. I'll be there to help the willing and able rebuild when people are ready to use some common sense in their lives.
    A895 likes this.
    05-09-2014 06:49 PM
    I didn't catch that article, but that's kind of what would have happened in Colorado if everyone was armed in that theater when that nutcase started shooting people during the Batman film. If you've never had CQC (Close Quarters Combat) or Shot/Don't Shoot training, you don't know dangerous it is and how easy it is to make a mistake, especially in a dark theater. It would have been a bloody mess. I am not trying to talk against the 2nd amendment by saying that, just that it's a very chaotic situation.

I've been seeing a lot of articles on the Albuquerque Police lately.
    At Albuquerque meeting on police shootings, silence speaks volumes*-*Los Angeles Times
    No I get that completely.

If this exact same thing had happened in the middle of the desert or some other isolated place my opinion would be very different. Even with the excessive use of force and the innocent man dead, I could see the argument that tension was high and things got out of hand. But in a populated area? I cannot forgive the mistakes that were made. MANY people could have been killed. These cops appear to have been out for revenge and forgot their most basic rule always paying attention to their surroundings. If that police department is such a powder keg, then they should all be replaced.
    palandri likes this.
    05-10-2014 01:21 PM
    No I get that completely.

If this exact same thing had happened in the middle of the desert or some other isolated place my opinion would be very different. Even with the excessive use of force and the innocent man dead, I could see the argument that tension was high and things got out of hand. But in a populated area? I cannot forgive the mistakes that were made. MANY people could have been killed. These cops appear to have been out for revenge and forgot their most basic rule always paying attention to their surroundings. If that police department is such a powder keg, then they should all be replaced.
    I agree.

There was a show about 7 to 8 years ago that I watched. It may have been Cops or something similar to that, it showed the Miami Dade police at the airport, and they were very aggressive at the airport, stopping people and checking personal bags...etc.. It was a lot closer to 9/11 so that may have been why, I am not sure.
    NoYankees44 likes this.
    05-10-2014 02:33 PM
    Not to make light of the situation but "pew pew" comes to mind.

But on topic, cops were out for revenge. This is the result of that. Then again I do have to say armed robbery and shooting a police officer and car stealing gets you whatever you deserve. In his case you get pumped full of lead.

I do feel bad for any bystanders caught in this though.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    05-11-2014 04:05 PM
    Im on the cops side here! Take the pos out!

SENT FROM MY G-FLEX, BECAUSE SIZE MATTERS, BUT SO DOES FLEXability😁
    A895 likes this.
    05-11-2014 05:20 PM
    Then again I do have to say armed robbery and shooting a police officer and car stealing gets you whatever you deserve. In his case you get pumped full of lead.
    Strangely, I still think that what they deserve is a trial and a sentence overseen by a judge. I understand why the officers did what they did, but that doesn't make it the right thing to do and we're actually paying them to be MUCH better than that.

I'm 100% on their side if they feel they need to address this tactically, given the suspect was previously armed and had killed - by all means do things carefully and do everything possible to prevent further officer and civilian deaths... but at the same time, you're not out there for yourself. You represent the oaths you took to protect not only your community, but the Constitution.

IMO, although it would suck ... every officer that fired shots should be criminally charged and brought to trial. If the juries say their response is justified, so be it - but what they did sounds like it was criminal (from the description here, I wasn't there and I'm not on that jury).
    oz123 likes this.
    05-11-2014 07:22 PM
    A couple of things, most police department are strongly against a civilian review board. Think Rodney King. The departements review found nothing wrong with what the officers did. I think all Police departments should have a civilian review board.

Police should only use the minimum amount of force necessary to effect an arrest, or protect themselves or others from harm.
    oz123 likes this.
    05-11-2014 08:29 PM
    For folks that lean to the right.

A group of self-described revolutionary-style patriots with a million mobilized militia members are heading to downtown Washington, D.C., this week to bring a simple message to political leadership, from President Obama to House Speaker John Boehner: Get out.

WATCH LIVE: Operation American Spring warns of FEMA roundup, civil war, chemtrails
    05-16-2014 12:13 PM
    I wonder if this will be another circus (media or otherwise) like the trucker ride on D.C. last year. :rolleyes:
    05-16-2014 01:35 PM
    The guy doing the live stream is on battery power and can only do it for an hour at a time before he needs to recharge his battery.

I watched it earlier and it looked like a normal Tea Party rally. A bunch of signs saying anti-government slogans and anti-government speakers.
    05-16-2014 04:31 PM
    The guy doing the live stream is on battery power and can only do it for an hour at a time before he needs to recharge his battery.

I watched it earlier and it looked like a normal Tea Party rally. A bunch of signs saying anti-government slogans and anti-government speakers.
    Oh so nothing new besides there being a higher group?

05-16-2014 05:08 PM
    Ok, I'm almost rolling over here. Lol Reading the article was almost like reading a direct play by play of the trucker "rally." Seriously, the similarities between the two were kinda spooky.
    05-16-2014 05:18 PM
    Oh so nothing new besides there being a higher group?

Nothing different than any other Tea Party rally I have seen.
    05-16-2014 05:20 PM
    Where is my rolling eyes emoticon when I need it?! 😂

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    palandri, A895 and nolittdroid like this.
    05-16-2014 06:11 PM
    Where is my rolling eyes emoticon when I need it?! 😂

There's one on the forum app.

:rolleyes: <-- like that
    05-16-2014 06:35 PM
    Where is my rolling eyes emoticon when I need it?! ��

I found this eye roll sitting in the corner next to my Kung Pao in the fridge. It's all yours....

Firearms and self-defense-eye_roll_by_morfland.jpg

As far as these types of rallies, when you see who bankrolls these things (Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson, usual suspects), you can't help but wonder if the sheep that are being herded around realize what their "funding fathers" stand for. I don't know how some people can get behind a cause that's being bankrolled by some very seedy corrupt individuals.
    05-16-2014 10:53 PM
    I found this eye roll sitting in the corner next to my Kung Pao. It's all yours....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eye_roll_by_Morfland.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	543.4 KB 
ID:	118645
    Thank you for the sentiment, that was touching. 😐 😆

05-16-2014 10:57 PM
4,617 ... 171172173174175 ...