07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 179180181182183 ...
tools
    My point is that I take issue with the NRA insisting that "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".

[video]http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/mplvs5/keep-gun-and-carry-on[/url]
    It's fine to disagree with the NRA. Perhaps we need to say "One way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun."

By the way, thanks for the link. Jon Stewart is a great comedian.
    06-10-2014 03:34 PM
    You're not going to convince me that guns don't kill. Ever.
    No one is forcing you to use a gun. However, if criminals were attacking your family, you may want to consider one as an option for self-defense.
    06-10-2014 03:47 PM
    No one is forcing you to use a gun. However, if criminals were attacking your family, you may want to consider one as an option for self-defense.
    Did you not see my post where I said we had guns? 😩

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    06-10-2014 03:51 PM
    Because, you see, only the law-abiding obey laws. (I'm continually surprised I have to point that out.)
    Which law did Elliot Rodger violate in order for him to obtain his firearms?
    06-10-2014 03:58 PM
    I also saw your post where you said that there are too many guns in society. Aren't your guns part of the "too many guns" in society? Have you considered turning them in?
    06-10-2014 04:12 PM
    I also saw your post where you said that there are too many guns in society. Aren't your guns part of the "too many guns" in society? Have you considered turning them in?
    There are too many guns in our society. However, I could have 2 and it would be plural. I don't like them but we are rural and it takes LEO an hour to get here. We lived here for 10 years without one. I'm fine without them. The only thing that would get shot around here are rabid animals. I don't really call raccoons and bobcats 'society'.

But I have to tell you, those cows across the road better watch out. 😊

06-10-2014 04:46 PM
    I don't like them but we are rural and it takes LEO an hour to get here.
    You are armed because law enforcement officers won't be able to reach you in time if there is an emergency situation. That seems to be a valid reason. Perhaps other people can justify their ownership of firearms just as much as you can.
    06-10-2014 05:45 PM
    You are armed because law enforcement officers won't be able to reach you in time if there is an emergency situation. That seems to be a valid reason. Perhaps other people can justify their ownership of firearms just as much as you can.
    Maybe. Everything is relative, isn't it?

06-10-2014 06:00 PM
    Maybe. Everything is relative, isn't it?
    I think most people tolerate owning a firearm if the intended use is for self-defense, target practice, or collecting. There is some disagreement when it comes to hunting, but that's because some people are opposed to killing animals for sport (as opposed to killing animals for food, for example).
    06-10-2014 06:13 PM
    You have to research this guy in the Vegas shooting, Jared Miller. All the signs were there, but no one spoke up. In the case of Elliott Rodgers, he was in therapy, and his parents voiced their concern to LEO. They, on the other hand, did not view the YouTube video because they didn't feel the need to watch it. So now what? Rodgers guns were purchased legally. Miller's wife purchased his, legally. (although, her husband being a felon living in the same house should preclude her from being able to purchase a gun). So what is the answer? They still got the guns, and they themselves used them. In fact, most of these mass shootings are done with legally purchased weapons.

06-10-2014 06:53 PM
    Guess what..... Oregon high school shooting: 'This is not a drill' - CNN.com

Maybe if we gave MOAR GUNS TO KIDS.....Anything to appease those limp men that think their freedom and their manhood is measured by what caliber a weapon they own...... /sarcasm (but only part of it is sarcasm....)
    06-10-2014 07:28 PM
    You have to research this guy in the Vegas shooting, Jared Miller. All the signs were there, but no one spoke up.
    I would tell people that if you see something, say something. Call the police if you have to, but don't stay silent. People's lives may be at stake.
    06-10-2014 07:30 PM
    In the case of Elliott Rodgers, he was in therapy, and his parents voiced their concern to LEO. They, on the other hand, did not view the YouTube video because they didn't feel the need to watch it.
    If the police viewed the YouTube videos that Rodger made, they may have acted earlier to stop him.
    06-10-2014 07:40 PM
    If the police viewed the YouTube videos that Rodger made, they may have acted earlier to stop him.
    But they didn't. That's the point. See something, say something doesn't always work.

06-10-2014 07:42 PM
    But they didn't. That's the point. See something, say something doesn't always work.

Actually, the police did. They talked with him and said he was a "nice boy," and "failed to catch" the part where he's ragingly misogynistic and racist. Which his videos made apparent.

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 7 USING TAPATALK.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-10-2014 08:37 PM
    Which law did Elliot Rodger violate in order for him to obtain his firearms?
    I'm not certain what point you're attempting to make with that question. My point was in relation to gun control disarming people. For example: There's still crime committed with firearms in the U.K., but, sure enough, law-abiding citizens turned theirs in.

To answer your question: It's possible Rodger lied about question 11.f on Form 4473.

Jim
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-11-2014 06:11 AM
    There are too many guns in our society.
    Isn't your position just a mite hypocritical? "Okay for me, but not for thee?"

I don't like them but we are rural and it takes LEO an hour to get here.
    There are people that live in major cities where a one-hour response time would be considered a Godsend. Trust me: You need firearms a lot less than some of them.

In fact: I don't think you need guns at all. You should turn them in. Okay, if you have a pump-, lever-, bolt- or single-action .22 cal. rifle with a fixed magazine holding less than 10 rounds: You can keep that for varmint control. But it should be unloaded and locked up when not in use. The ammunition should be stored in a separate location. Make sure the local cops know you have it.
    06-11-2014 06:25 AM
    I think someone else already posted this in the Bundy Ranch thread, but when you have people like this pointing weapons at government officials, all reason has left the building. I would have no problem with this guy being ID'd, found, and imprisoned.

Firearms and self-defense-bundy-counter-sniper.jpg
    msndrstood likes this.
    06-11-2014 06:42 AM
    Isn't your position just a mite hypocritical? "Okay for me, but not for thee?"

There are people that live in major cities where a one-hour response time would be considered a Godsend. Trust me: You need firearms a lot less than some of them.

In fact: I don't think you need guns at all. You should turn them in. Okay, if you have a pump-, lever-, bolt- or single-action .22 cal. rifle with a fixed magazine holding less than 10 rounds: You can keep that for varmint control. But it should be unloaded and locked up when not in use. The ammunition should be stored in a separate location. Make sure the local cops know you have it.
    Not hypocritical at all. We don't feel the need to have an arsenal. I'm fine with a pump action shotgun. Unloaded. And the cops do know. My entire family are LEO.

06-11-2014 08:36 AM
    Not hypocritical at all. We don't feel the need to have an arsenal. I'm fine with a pump action shotgun.
    So guns are okay as long as they are the number and types approved by you?

Good choice on the shotgun for home defence--particularly if you're the type that's unwiling to practice with a handgun, but it wouldn't have done these homeowners much good: Two Men Use Girl As Human Shield — Until Her Father Guns Them Down.
    06-11-2014 09:28 AM
    So guns are okay as long as they are the number and types approved by you?

Good choice on the shotgun for home defence--particularly if you're the type that's unwiling to practice with a handgun, but it wouldn't have done these homeowners much good: Two Men Use Girl As Human Shield — Until Her Father Guns Them Down.
    There is no point talking to you. I've had this conversation umpteen times with umpteen people on these forums, and you guys all sound the same to me. If you can't see there is a problem in this country with the over proliferation of guns, the ranting of crazed far right wingers, the lack of respect for anyone who disagrees with them, and right wing talk shows that fan the flames of social discontent, then good luck to you, because no matter what response I give, you will rebut it and nothing will change. You don't want a debate, you want an argument and I won't play. Sorry.

06-11-2014 09:40 AM
    It's simple really, if we make guns illegal then nobody will get shot anymore. That's how we stopped everyone from doing drugs.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    06-11-2014 09:43 AM
    I think someone else already posted this in the Bundy Ranch thread, but when you have people like this pointing weapons at government officials, all reason has left the building. I would have no problem with this guy being ID'd, found, and imprisoned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bundy+counter+sniper.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	122673

I would arrest every single one of them. If you are stupid enough to point a gun at a federal officer, you deserve jail and/or to be shot.
    06-11-2014 09:45 AM
    There is no point talking to you.
    This complaint from you is rather like the pot calling the kettle black, is it not?

If you can't see there is a problem in this country with the over proliferation of guns, the ranting of crazed far right wingers, the lack of respect for anyone who disagrees with them, and right wing talk shows that fan the flames of social discontent,
    So people with whom you disagree are "crazed right-wingers" and have a lack of respect, and it was you who responded with "Okay. You want to do this? Let's go. ... Unfortunately, I can do this all day."

Yet others are the ones being disrespectful?

... no matter what response I give, you will rebut it
    If it's rebuttable, I will.

You don't want a debate, you want an argument and I won't play.
    You don't want a debate, either. You simply want others to agree with your point-of-view.

I don't want an argument. Nor am I posting to try to convince you of anything. You've already made it abundantly clear your mind is made up and won't be swayed by the facts. (Something I expected as a result of your very first post to this thread, and confirmed by your "You're not going to convince me that guns don't kill. Ever.") I'm simply countering your assertions for the benefit of others.

And this is certainly no "debate." You haven't made a single supportable assertion, yet. When you could no longer support the assertion that "guns kill" (logically refuted), you switched to diatribes about "far right wing militarization groups" and wild-eyed assertions about people who are concerned about a bloated, over-controlling, spending-gone-wild Federal government. (There's that "respect" thing, again.)
    06-11-2014 10:23 AM
    I would arrest every single one of them. If you are stupid enough to point a gun at a federal officer, you deserve jail and/or to be shot.
    Even when the Federal Officer is indisputably in the wrong? (I am not saying that's the case in the above-cited situation.)
    06-11-2014 10:25 AM
4,617 ... 179180181182183 ...