Let's see, I listed using a hat and high collar, and a general comment on attempting to hide identity. I also mentioned how a person was ACTING would play a part in it. I said nothing about ethnicity or how it compares to mine.

Yet because I said the magic word, hoodie, you on the left are going to automatically jump to the conclusion that my comments are race based or flat out racist. Yeah, sure. You keep thinking that and expose your own racist tendencies.
    06-11-2014 06:14 PM
    Tsk, tsk aren't you playing the race card on that one? You just declined to address TXGTOU when he mentioned ethnic traits, everyone knows a hoody is associated with Trayvon Martin.
    Does that mean I can't wear my hoodies any more? I wear them all the time in the fall and winter. One thing I do though is lower the hood when entering a building. When someone, and it does not matter the race, leaves their hood up concealing their face, it makes me nervous. I'm the same way about people wearing sunglasses indoors.
    06-11-2014 07:26 PM
    Let's see, I listed using a hat and high collar, and a general comment on attempting to hide identity. I also mentioned how a person was ACTING would play a part in it. I said nothing about ethnicity or how it compares to mine.

Yet because I said the magic word, hoodie, you on the left are going to automatically jump to the conclusion that my comments are race based or flat out racist. Yeah, sure. You keep thinking that and expose your own racist tendencies.
    Nice try, but you've already stated that someone's APPEARANCE would give you pause. I actually don't have racism, but I do have speciesism and maybe a little sexism. If I see a man with an assault rifle in public, then I'm going to have reservations about why that person feels compelled to carry an assault rifle in public. He's either there to coerce someone into something they don't want to do (rob, rape, etc.), or he wants to falsely display to the public that he must be some sort of bad man because he has a big assault rifle. I'm not sure exactly which display is more pathetic. On the one hand, you have someone that wants to steal, but on the other hand, you have someone that is trying to posture like a peacock displaying his feathers to try and woo the opposite sex and show a threat to competing suitors. And if you think I'm full of it, just look at some of the "open carry" boneheads that were showing up in public. How pathetic would they look in public WITHOUT their big imposing weapon?

Firearms and self-defense-open-carry-chipotle-even-via-facebook-615x345.png

Firearms and self-defense-ht_jack_in_box_ml_140506_16x9_992.jpg

Firearms and self-defense-540x418xanti-open-carry-cartoon-courtesy-trbimg.com_.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.zxxta8vc6a.jpg
    06-11-2014 07:37 PM
    Does that mean I can't wear my hoodies any more? I wear them all the time in the fall and winter. One thing I do though is lower the hood when entering a building. When someone, and it does not matter the race, leaves their hood up concealing their face, it makes me nervous. I'm the same way about people wearing sunglasses indoors.
    I was pointing out that everyone has underlying elements of prejudice, subconsciously or not, they are there in some form or other. Most will deny them vehemently.

Look at the vitriol that has been slung at Bergdahl's father for his beard. Omg, seriously. When i go to the grocery store, I'm surrounded by farmers in beards, I never considered they might be Muslim. ๐Ÿ˜จ

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    06-11-2014 07:44 PM
    Nice try, but you've already stated that someone's APPEARANCE would give you pause.... If I see a man with an assault rifle in public, then I'm going to have reservations about why that person feels compelled to carry an assault rifle in public.
    Again, you're only making a point (incorrectly, I might add) by taking things out of context. If your shovel isn't big enough, I can arrange getting a back hoe delivered to you to help you keep digging.

Also, learn your terms. Assault rifle has a specific definition and not a weapon the general public can get without going through extensive checks.

I was pointing out that everyone has underlying elements of prejudice...
    As you've demonstrated so well here.

Actually, I think I'm going to sit this one out for a while. I think it's been made clear where prejudices lie, and to keep going is just gonna get this thread closed.
    06-11-2014 08:00 PM
    I was pointing out that everyone has underlying elements of prejudice, subconsciously or not, they are there in some form or other. Most will deny them vehemently.

Look at the vitriol that has been slung at Bergdahl's father for his beard. Omg, seriously. When i go to the grocery store, I'm surrounded by farmers in beards, I never considered they might be Muslim.

Of course everyone has prejudgices, it's how we have survived as a species for so long. We are conditioned from a very young age to look at everyone and everything around us and judge the safety of the situation.
    06-11-2014 08:12 PM
    Again, you're only making a point (incorrectly, I might add) by taking things out of context. If your shovel isn't big enough, I can arrange getting a back hoe delivered to you to help you keep digging.

Also, learn your terms. Assault rifle has a specific definition and not a weapon the general public can get without going through extensive checks.

Actually, I think I'm going to sit this one out for a while. I think it's been made clear where prejudices lie, and to keep going is just gonna get this thread closed.
    The fact remains that guns pose a danger. You can spin it any way you want. People DO kill people, but they do so MUCH MORE EFFICIENT when they have ACCESS to a GUN.
    06-11-2014 08:17 PM

Lol, okay.

06-11-2014 08:37 PM
    This thread should be read with a large bowl of popcorn.

Posted via Android Central App
    06-11-2014 08:43 PM
    This thread should be read with a large bowl of popcorn.

It's an interesting one, that's for certain.
    I'd love to post my opinion on the matter, but I'm afraid debating is one of my worst skills.

SENT FROM MY NEXUS 7 USING TAPATALK.
    A895 likes this.
    06-11-2014 08:45 PM
    It's an interesting one, that's for certain.
    I'd love to post my opinion on the matter, but I'm afraid debating is one of my worst skills.

Everyone has their own perspective and it's good to hear them all, even the ones that seem kind of silly or crazy. Unless you're trolling for reactions, you'll find that at least a few people will agree with your perspective I bet.
    06-11-2014 09:06 PM
    Everyone has their own perspective and it's good to hear them all, even the ones that seem kind of silly or crazy. Unless you're trolling for reactions, you'll find that at least a few people will agree with your perspective I bet.
    Hmmm.
    It's just that I can't shake the fact that guns were, you know, made for the sole purpose of killing. Sure, guns don't get up and kill people, but it's their function. It's the reason people made them.

msndrstood likes this.
    06-11-2014 09:09 PM
    Hmmm.
    It's just that I can't shake the fact that guns were, you know, made for the sole purpose of killing. Sure, guns don't get up and kill people, but it's their function. It's the reason people made them.

Guns can be used for sport and it can neutralize enemies instead of killing them.

06-11-2014 09:22 PM
    Guns can be used for sport and it can neutralize enemies instead of killing them.

Sure, they CAN be used for these things, the same way that a water bottle and aluminium foil can create a bomb (or something like that. I don't remember the specifics, but that's the gist of it), but guns were made to kill.
    They were made to revolutionise warfare and make hunting for food easier, the same way bows did.

06-11-2014 09:27 PM
    Sure, they CAN be used for these things, the same way that a water bottle and aluminium foil can create a bomb (or something like that. I don't remember the specifics, but that's the gist of it), but guns were made to kill.
    They were made to revolutionise warfare and make hunting for food easier, the same way bows did.

True.

06-11-2014 09:37 PM
    But regardless of the weapon, regardless of design, it all comes back to the person using it.
    06-11-2014 09:41 PM
    But regardless of the weapon, regardless of design, it all comes back to the person using it.
    True as well. As Obama said, we need more stricter background checks into those who buy guns. I also think it would be prudent if there was some way to keep track of illegal weapons as well.

06-11-2014 09:51 PM
    Not so fun fact: There have been 74 mass shootings since Sandy Hook making it every 7.33 days there is a mass shooting. ๐Ÿ˜”

06-11-2014 09:57 PM
    I also think it would be prudent if there was some way to keep track of illegal weapons as well.
    I can agree with that in concept, but that's like trying to keep track of illegal aliens. Not gonna happen.
    06-11-2014 11:02 PM
    I can agree with that in concept, but that's like trying to keep track of illegal aliens. Not gonna happen.
    We can always try.

06-12-2014 12:20 AM
    I defy you to look into the eyes of one of the victim's loved ones and explain that to them, "Well, we could've TRIED to prevent this from happening, but why bother?"
    A895 likes this.
    06-12-2014 06:07 AM
    I defy you to look into the eyes of one of the victim's loved ones and explain that to them, "Well, we could've TRIED to prevent this from happening, but why bother?"
    We don't have to tell them. With each new shooting, they already know that we failed, time and time again. Frankly, they don't care who's to blame because they'll just blame everyone.
    06-12-2014 06:54 AM
    If you're intimidated by someone minding their own business with a gun in a holster, then that's on you.
    I often wonder if open carry campaigns need to have more people involved. For example, instead of just having men openly carry their firearms, what if it were women who did the open carry? Perhaps they should combine it with Take Back the Night, which is a campaign to end sexual violence.
    06-12-2014 07:21 AM
    I don't know of what i speak? And what gives you that impression?
    Oh... I dunno... perhaps comments like...

I don't understand where this gun culture came from.
    The silliness of the term "gun culture" aside: Maybe you should read up on British and American history?

10, 20, 30 years ago this was never an issue,
    Again proving you know not whereof you speak. The RKBA has been an issue throughout American history.

the only thing that i see is different is that there is a black Democrat in the White House,
    So now pro-gun-rights proponents are racists?!?!
    06-12-2014 08:43 AM
    Oh... I dunno... perhaps comments like...

The silliness of the term "gun culture" aside: Maybe you should read up on British and American history?

Again proving you know not whereof you speak. The RKBA has been an issue throughout American history.

So now pro-gun-rights proponents are racists?!?!
    Your assumptions fail you.

06-12-2014 08:45 AM
4,617 ... 181182183184185