07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 183184185
tools
    Thank you for posting this. I was having trouble fully understanding the new George law. I was seeing in some places that a business could not ban guns from the site. That would of gotten me up in arms but I was like that was not passing the smell test as I do not think the gop is that crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    07-08-2014 03:13 PM
    Thank you for posting this. I was having trouble fully understanding the new George law. I was seeing in some places that a business could not ban guns from the site. That would of gotten me up in arms but I was like that was not passing the smell test as I do not think the gop is that crazy.

Like I said, there is a lot of misinformation about it. I am having trouble getting a clear read myself on it all. I am fairly certain everything I have posted is correct. But if I find otherwise, I will update.
    07-08-2014 03:51 PM

I wonder if the confusion comes from other state laws? Is there another state that does not allow a business to say no to guns?

Posted via Android Central App
    07-08-2014 05:58 PM
    It is hard to find both true and unbiased material on the new laws because no one seems to fact check anything and reports misinformation(and of course the anti-gun complex is in full force), but here seems to be a decent article(i am not familiar with the site):
    Georgia ‘guns everywhere’ law takes effect | Al Jazeera America
    From the article:

"The carry laws even extend to allowing people to cross Transportation Security Administration (TSA) airport checkpoints with a gun."

"TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein told CNN it wasn't clear how the law might affect its agents at Georgia airports, particularly Atlanta’s Hartsfield Jackson International, the world’s busiest airport."

Would federal regulations take precedence over Georgia law?
    07-09-2014 09:20 PM
    From the article:

"The carry laws even extend to allowing people to cross Transportation Security Administration (TSA) airport checkpoints with a gun."

"TSA spokesman Ross Feinstein told CNN it wasn't clear how the law might affect its agents at Georgia airports, particularly Atlanta’s Hartsfield Jackson International, the world’s busiest airport."

Would federal regulations take precedence over Georgia law?
    For official federal property, state laws do not apply. For instance, in both TN and AL you can legally have a leave a loaded weapon in your car at work even if your work has policies against carry on their property. If you work on a military base, this does not matter. Civilians can generally not have loaded weapons in their cars or otherwise.

The airport portion of this law is somewhat confusing to me. You can definitely not take a weapon past security checkpoint. I guess you can carry in the open terminal and parking lot though?
    07-09-2014 09:26 PM
    The airport portion of this law is somewhat confusing to me. You can definitely not take a weapon past security checkpoint. I guess you can carry in the open terminal and parking lot though?
    It sounds like the TSA and Georgia officials need to discuss the issue.

Another interesting passage from the article:

"For the first time, felons will be allowed to invoke the controversial “stand your ground” defense in the state. Under the defense, if people feel their life is threatened, they do not have the obligation to retreat to safety and may use deadly force."

Are felons restricted in other states?
    07-09-2014 09:36 PM
    A Convenience-Store Face-Off Illustrates the Dangers of Georgia’s New Gun Law -- Time (article link here)

Excerpts:

"On Tuesday, a misunderstanding between two armed men in a convenience store in Georgia led to one man drawing his gun and being arrested on the first day of the “guns everywhere” law."

"According to the Valdosta Daily Times local newspaper, an armed customer demanded to see the firearms permit and ID of a second armed man making a purchase in a convenience store. The first man drew his gun when the other customer refused to show him his permit. After the second armed man completed his purchase, he called the police on the first man, who was then arrested."

Was the police justified in arresting the man who drew his gun?
    07-09-2014 09:49 PM
    Summary:
    Now Georgia carry permit holders can carry places the could not before.
    However, it can be difficult to verify if a person does indeed possess a permit to carry. No one, even police, can ask to see a permit. I'm not sure what prevents a person from carrying a firearm without a permit.

First day of new gun law leads to arrest -- The Valdosta Daily Times (article link here)

Excerpt:

"The police chief said no one can demand a person to show their gun permit. Under the new law, he as police chief and his officers cannot demand to see a firearms permit, Childress said."

"'This is an example of my concern with the new gun law that people will take the law into their own hands which we will not tolerate,' Childress said."
    07-09-2014 10:28 PM
    I was seeing in some places that a business could not ban guns from the site.
    It looks like bars and nightclubs can ban firearms, but they need to be more proactive about their policy. A sign hanging outside the place is not enough.

Georgia Now Allows Guns in Airports and Bars -- Vice News (article link here)

Excerpts:

"Although the law lets people bring firearms into bars and nightclubs, bar and club owners have the right to kick out anyone with a firearm as they see fit."

"Signs are not a legal way of prohibiting firearm carriers from entering a bar, however, and could even lead to lawsuits."
    07-09-2014 10:35 PM
    Part 1:

Part 2:

And another take:

I may not own any guns, but I like gun history and know a fair bit about it, but come on, bringing a M16, AK47, M14, etc, into frigging Applebees "because you can" is a bit much. Actually, its a LOT MUCH.
    07-13-2014 06:36 PM
    A LOT MUCH, is mankind's way of making up for those tiny brains.
    07-13-2014 06:46 PM
    A LOT MUCH, is mankind's way of making up for those tiny brains.
    There's also some other compensation taking place, especially if you look at some of the participants in the videos above.
    07-13-2014 07:32 PM
    I just would like it if someone admitted if the writers of the 2nd Amendment had even a HINT of what firearms would become, they'd rework it some. Hell, imagine if, oh, 1 in 10 soldiers during the American Revolution had Civil War era weapons. As in, the Henry, the Spencer, Colt revolvers, the Gatling gun. Thats it, nothing more advanced than not even 100 years post 1776. Can you imagine how brutal battles would be? While one guy is taking 20 seconds to reload his musket, you just popped him with 3 shot from your Henry.
    07-13-2014 09:30 PM
    These people are more or less idiots that are taking a fairly legitimate protest topic and ruining it. Even the NRA condemns them.

That being said, it is interesting to see the reaction of society. The anti gun portion of our society has turned guns into scary horrible objects for much of the country and blured what is actually legal. It is good for people to learn the actual limits of the laws.
    07-13-2014 09:44 PM
    I just would like it if someone admitted if the writers of the 2nd Amendment had even a HINT of what firearms would become, they'd rework it some. Hell, imagine if, oh, 1 in 10 soldiers during the American Revolution had Civil War era weapons. As in, the Henry, the Spencer, Colt revolvers, the Gatling gun. Thats it, nothing more advanced than not even 100 years post 1776. Can you imagine how brutal battles would be? While one guy is taking 20 seconds to reload his musket, you just popped him with 3 shot from your Henry.
    You also had to consider what war was like back then. People stood shoulder to shoulder and just took turns firing at each other. My history teachers taught me that the way the colonists were fighting the red coats, hiding behind trees and not in "gentlemanly fashion", it was seen as extremely savage by British standards.

These people are more or less idiots that are taking a fairly legitimate protest topic and ruining it. Even the NRA condemns condemned them.

That being said, it is interesting to see the reaction of society. The anti gun portion of our society has turned guns into scary horrible objects for much of the country and blured what is actually legal. It is good for people to learn the actual limits of the laws.
    Fixed your first statement, since they've retracted their initial condemnation.

Just a scenario for you, what if one of these assault weapon carrying tools walks into a restaurant that you're eating at with your family, you feel threatened by that person and shoot them dead? Are you acquitted for standing your ground?
    07-13-2014 10:18 PM
    I am really tired of seeing people bringing these large guns because they can into these public places. It is most certainly rude I think, you don't need to show off for anyone and I think it should be considered menacing the public, I got no problem with have a gun and holster in public, but once you bring in guns that can poke an eye out, it shouldn't have left your vehicle or your house.

Posted via Android Central App
    07-14-2014 02:54 AM
    Nothing against anyone here, but for now we've had enough of these threads.
    anon(92475) likes this.
    07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 183184185