07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 4546474849 ...
tools
    Lol. What you fail to realize is that tighter gun control laws would reduce the availability of guns to criminals, and therefore, by extension, reduce violent crime.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    I suggest this video for a rebuttal to that statement.

LiveLeak.com - Actual Gun/Violent Crime Statistics - (U.S.A. vs U.K.)
    02-21-2013 06:35 PM
    Hmm a neighbor down the road from us has pressure sensors in his yard that go off whenever someone steps near them.

Still I +1 the idea of having land mines in your front yard. Its far safer for you and far more dangerous for the intruder.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    msndrstood likes this.
    02-21-2013 06:37 PM
    Lol. What you fail to realize is that tighter gun control laws would reduce the availability of guns to criminals, and therefore, by extension, reduce violent crime.

Actually not true. The UK has some of the strictest gun control polices anywhere. Their gun deaths are lower by a large margin. But, the violent crime rate in the UK is the 2nd worst of any country. Only south Africa is worse.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums
    02-21-2013 06:38 PM

We all realize the conventional logic in that but reality dictates it will make no real difference, they will simply use some other weapon.

You can keep on removing the weapons until the law abiding citizen has only his hands to defend against a gun wielding criminal.
    02-21-2013 06:42 PM
    Freedom of speech is going out the window right after guns do.
    Actually, if the 2nd amendment were defined as is the 1st, you truly could argue that you have every right to every firearm produced without exception. Fortunately, common law has helped define what is practical and pragmatic over the past few hundred years for our civil society where firearms are concerned.
    02-21-2013 06:44 PM
    Hmm a neighbor down the road from us has pressure sensors in his yard that go off whenever someone steps near them.

Still I +1 the idea of having land mines in your front yard. Its far safer for you and far more dangerous for the intruder.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Until the police comes and arrests you because

A: you blew up the neighbors dog when it wandered in the yard then

B: you blew up it's owner when he/she came running in the yard in tears over a dead dog then

C: you blow a police officer when he/she comes and investigates the scene

Some things ARE impractical lol!
    02-21-2013 06:48 PM
    I'm not in favor of gun control for the simple fact that criminals don't abide by the law, it's not going to work for the criminal element.
    Once again ... Tell it to this guy

From the article: This month, Police Chief magazine reprinted a letter from Chief Joseph M. Polisar, then head of the International Association of Chiefs of Police, originally published in 2004 as the assault weapons ban expired. Polisar vowed that the chiefs would continue to push for the ban, noting it had proved remarkably effective in reducing the number of crimes involving assault weapons. Since 1994 the proportion of assault weapons traced to crimes has fallen by a dramatic 66 percent.
    02-21-2013 06:48 PM
    Police chiefs are more inclined to follow what their boss, the mayor, thinks versus what sheriffs think, pro gun, because they are elected by the people.
    02-21-2013 06:53 PM
    Police chiefs are more inclined to follow what their boss, the mayor, thinks versus what sheriffs think, pro gun, because they are elected by the people.
    Pay no attention to the severe 66% drop in assault weapons traced to crimes in Miami-Dade during their manufacturing ban. Move along. Nothing to see there.
    02-21-2013 06:56 PM
    My personal recommendation for a home defense system is thus: Tomahawks and a Dog.

1st the dog: A dog, the larger the better, will scare most intruders away. Most intruders are cowards there to steal, not to assault. Deterring crime is better than fighting back against it after it's occurred.
    2nd the Tomahawks: I recommend having at least 3. Even in the most insane daydreams that paranoid people have, with multiple armed attackers coming in randomly to attack a stranger in their home, even if they're all on PCP, crack and whatever else you can think of... if you bury a tomahawk in the forehead of the first person through the door, that fight is over. No one, ever, no matter how high, will continue a robbery attempt* after watching one of their friends be taken down by a tomahawk. Even if they have guns, they're still leaving. A tomahawk is silent, legal, can be thrown with great accuracy and is devastating upon impact, whether with blade or bludgeon. It's lightweight, portable and proper use can be taught in just a few hours.

*If they're there to rob your home or for a random assault this will work. If they're there specifically to murder you because of an actual reason, they may continue to attack after watching the most brutal metal to bone impact they'll ever conceive of, but even then they'd have to be quite insane to press on.
    droidmyme and Kevin OQuinn like this.
    02-21-2013 06:56 PM
    A survivor of the shooting at Columbine, (which took place while the previous assault weapons ban was in place) had this to say about the current efforts of gun control.

Columbine Survivor Pens Bold Open Letter to Obama Rejecting Gun Control: ‘Whose Side Are You On?’ | TheBlaze.com
    02-21-2013 06:58 PM
    A survivor of the shooting at Columbine, (which took place while the previous assault weapons ban was in place) had this to say about the current efforts of gun control.
    Coming from those who mock the VP as not being a firearms expert (even though he was only asked for his opinion), this ranks accordingly.
    02-21-2013 07:02 PM
    My personal recommendation for a home defense system is thus: Tomahawks and a Dog.

1st the dog: A dog, the larger the better, will scare most intruders away. Most intruders are cowards there to steal, not to assault. Deterring crime is better than fighting back against it after it's occurred.
    2nd the Tomahawks: I recommend having at least 3. Even in the most insane daydreams that paranoid people have, with multiple armed attackers coming in randomly to attack a stranger in their home, even if they're all on PCP, crack and whatever else you can think of... if you bury a tomahawk in the forehead of the first person through the door, that fight is over. No one, ever, no matter how high, will continue a robbery attempt* after watching one of their friends be taken down by a tomahawk. Even if they have guns, they're still leaving. A tomahawk is silent, legal, can be thrown with great accuracy and is devastating upon impact, whether with blade or bludgeon. It's lightweight, portable and proper use can be taught in just a few hours.

*If they're there to rob your home or for a random assault this will work. If they're there specifically to murder you because of an actual reason, they may continue to attack after watching the most brutal metal to bone impact they'll ever conceive of, but even then they'd have to be quite insane to press on.
    Lol!

02-21-2013 07:04 PM
    And handgun crime went up
    02-21-2013 07:04 PM
    Says who?
    02-21-2013 07:06 PM
    Coming from those who mock the VP as not being a firearms expert (even though he was only asked for his opinion), this ranks accordingly.
    This coming from someone on the side of accepting the v-prez's word as gospel.
    02-21-2013 07:08 PM

Tomahawks worked so well for the native american Indians..

Never bring a knife to a gun fight..
    02-21-2013 07:12 PM
    Tomahawks worked so well for the native american Indians..

Never bring a knife to a gun fight..
    They did actually, and it's still a very effective close quarters weapon, arguably on par with a pistol. I think the confusion in your statement is that they were attacked by troops, not by cowardly home invaders. Your AR-15 won't have any effectiveness against the US Army of today in exactly the same way that a tomahawk didn't have much use against the multitudes of soldiers with superior weapons of that time. In a home defense situation, I would argue that I could defend my home better with 1 SW .40, 1 Mossberg 500, 1 Kabar and 2 Tomahawks than you ever could with a crate full of AR-15's. Against an Army, I'd choose different weapons... but that's not self defense, that's called war.
    02-21-2013 07:20 PM
    ATF states that toy guns can be modified to fire real bullets.

02-21-2013 07:23 PM
    I think you must have just nailed the source of the delusions on their head. There is a difference between an armed foreign military and an intruder. Both in capability, motivation and strategy. No civilian weapon will protect you from tanks, stealth bombers and drones. Any civilian weapon is sufficient in a home invasion scenario. That includes screwdrivers, plastic spoons, baseball bats and industrial grade wasp spray.
    02-21-2013 07:24 PM
    We talked about this video before: Here was the response

Originally Posted by Live2ride883

I don't even have a comment for this news report ......

Credibility... The story is likely fact spun way out of context. Note the user that posted it and the comments. These are the lunatics we talked about earlier. The first video I saw on related videos was about acutely converting airsoft to live fire. I didn't watch it, so not sure if that's accurate or not, but at face value this all combines to severely limit the credibility of the information.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by NothingIsTrue; 01-29-2013 at 05:28 PM.

That was almost a month ago.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...ml#post2553589
    02-21-2013 07:28 PM
    I think you must have just nailed the source of the delusions on their head. There is a difference between an armed foreign military and an intruder. Both in capability, motivation and strategy. No civilian weapon will protect you from tanks, stealth bombers and drones. Any civilian weapon is sufficient in a home invasion scenario. That includes screwdrivers, plastic spoons, baseball bats and industrial grade wasp spray.
    My home my choice of what I use to defend it and my family with.

Maybe posting that video here wasn't the best way to inject some sarcastic humor. But when someone mentions them that video is what comes to mind.
    Aquila likes this.
    02-21-2013 07:29 PM
    My home my choice of what I use to defend it and my family with.
    I completely agree, and I don't see anything wrong with the AR-15. I'm just not sure it's hand's down the best option. There are many alternatives that for some will be much more effective at defense. I'm slightly offended about where you took the tomahawk comment, but you have to realize that Joe Biden is just giving a suggestion, not mandating that everyone buy shotguns. I get the context and that he doesn't want "assault weapons", but really it's not up to him so I don't really care what he wants.
    Markster1 likes this.
    02-21-2013 07:34 PM
    Again .... Says who?
    02-21-2013 07:34 PM
    We've been around this before, I don't think that gun control and mass murders are related. I also strongly believe in liberty and choice and I couldn't care less what you pick to defend yourself. But I also disagree with attacking someone else's choices just because they disagree with yours. Debate is awesome, but when much of what is being said in the "gun" debate is not coming from a place of logic or earnest desire to improve the situation, it's coming from a place of fear and hatred. And that's both sides. Both sides are afraid of nonsensical overreactions to misconceptions perpetrated by a misguided media frenzy. Fanning that fire is not getting us any closer to a more safe and more free society.
    02-21-2013 07:39 PM
4,617 ... 4546474849 ...