07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 7273747576 ...
tools
    Yeah, I've only been around a month or so. I am not so sure when I can post and not. I sort of went crazy with Zombies because I am into that genre. But there's a couple posters around that I really enjoy like Tall Mike. I think the funniest post I saw was the Presidential Poll that Live2Ride883 started and he instructs -- "No need for anybody to post more than 6 words." Well that lasted for about 3 posts, and then here comes you and Tall Mike swooping in and breaking all the rules and all heck breaks loose. So much for the 6 word maximum request by LIve2Ride883.
    Please feel free to post at any time, in response to anything you see. The only reason I requested the six word limit was to keep the thread from becoming a battleground, which as NIT can attest to that tends to happen when we discuss emotional issues.

At the heart of the gun control issue for me is

1) I support the second amendment as it was written.
    2) I do not believe we have a gun problem, we have a crime problem
    3) For me gun control means using both hands, and hitting your intended target.
    jdbii likes this.
    03-29-2013 12:52 AM
    Yeah, I've only been around a month or so. I am not so sure when I can post and not. I sort of went crazy with Zombies because I am into that genre. But there's a couple posters around that I really enjoy like Tall Mike. I think the funniest post I saw was the Presidential Poll that Live2Ride883 started and he instructs -- "No need for anybody to post more than 6 words." Well that lasted for about 3 posts, and then here comes you and Tall Mike swooping in and breaking all the rules and all heck breaks loose. So much for the 6 word maximum request by LIve2Ride883.
    I will let Live2Ride883 limit the length of my ravings when he lets me limit his pasting of links to the ravings of silly bloggers ;-)
    03-29-2013 01:01 AM
    I am gonna go off topic for just a minute, and I do apologize in advance and hope it's OK.

I've been having a rough week, my friend Matt would have had a birthday earlier this week. Honestly I miss the sh;* out of him every day. I would gladly put a round through the head of James Holmes if only the state of CO would see clear to give him the death penalty. Now I hear his lawyers have offered a deal where he will plead guilty if they will agree to take the death penalty off the table. .
    No need to apologize and your feelings are what you feel, doesn't matter if others agree or not. I know it's of no consolation, but a life sentence and a death sentence are the same thing, the only differences are the amount of time and the cost. (In that either way, he is going to live for an amount of time, long or short, and die in custody.. and either way it's going to cost us a fortune.) If this saves the victim's families from having to listen to a charade, of this guy's attorneys making excuses for his mental health, etc... honestly, I'd rather he plead guilty and that we never hear from him again. I hope his time in prison, however long or short, is tortuous and guilt ridden. It'd almost be poetic justice to release him into the general population, and watch what 70 or so people, who also have nothing to lose, have to say about a coward of his caliber.
    03-29-2013 01:12 AM
    No need to apologize and your feelings are what you feel, doesn't matter if others agree or not. I know it's of no consolation, but a life sentence and a death sentence are the same thing, the only differences are the amount of time and the cost. (In that either way, he is going to live for an amount of time, long or short, and die in custody.. and either way it's going to cost us a fortune.) If this saves the victim's families from having to listen to a charade, of this guy's attorneys making excuses for his mental health, etc... honestly, I'd rather he plead guilty and that we never hear from him again. I hope his time in prison, however long or short, is tortuous and guilt ridden. It'd almost be poetic justice to release him into the general population, and watch what 70 or so people, who also have nothing to lose, have to say about a coward of his caliber.
    I would agree with gen pop as long as I can have a buddy tattoo certain parts of the female anatomy on his back....

My friend and others didn't get the chance to bargain for his life, as for it costing a fortune. It doesn't have too.
    03-29-2013 01:49 AM
    I will let Live2Ride883 limit the length of my ravings when he lets me limit his pasting of links to the ravings of silly bloggers ;-)
    I have imposed a self limit in this regard, I cannot promise that one or 2 won't make it thru in the future though.
    Aquila likes this.
    03-29-2013 01:52 AM
    I have imposed a self limit in this regard, I cannot promise that one or 2 won't make it thru in the future though.
    Okay, I was wrong, I'm still going to write long posts
    03-29-2013 01:55 AM
    Okay, I was wrong, I'm still going to write long posts
    It's all good, that just means I might have to read them 3 times....
    03-29-2013 02:10 AM
    I completely understand wanting someone like sǝɯןoɥ sǝɯɐſ * executed for his horrific crimes, and I really don't object to that. What I would like to seen done with him, in any event, is to find out exactly what went wrong so that we as a society can learn from it, and perhaps help others in the future before they go off the deep end and maim and massacre others. Then we can execute him.

* Name written upside down out of disrespect.
    03-29-2013 11:32 AM
    I completely understand wanting someone like sǝɯןoɥ sǝɯɐſ * executed for his horrific crimes, and I really don't object to that. What I would like to seen done with him, in any event, is to find out exactly what went wrong so that we as a society can learn from it, and perhaps help others in the future before they go off the deep end and maim and massacre others. Then we can execute him.

* Name written upside down out of disrespect.
    Some people are just broken inside, Charles Manson, Jack The Ripper, The Boston Strangler, Lee Harvey Oswald just to name a few...
    03-29-2013 02:53 PM
    Here is an excellent article published Friday by Glenn Greenwald on The Guardian's website.

Domestic drones and their unique dangers | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

If you don't have the time, interest or inclination to read Greenwald's article, I'll paste one paragraph of the article below to give you the general idea:

What is most often ignored by drone proponents, or those who scoff at anti-drone activism, are the unique features of drones: the way they enable more warfare, more aggression, and more surveillance. Drones make war more likely precisely because they entail so little risk to the war-making country. Similarly, while the propensity of drones to kill innocent people receives the bulk of media attention, the way in which drones psychologically terrorize the population - simply by constantly hovering over them: unseen but heard - is usually ignored, because it's not happening in the US, so few people care (see this AP report from yesterday on how the increasing use of drone attacks in Afghanistan is truly terrorizing local villagers). It remains to be seen how Americans will react to drones constantly hovering over their homes and their childrens' schools, though by that point, their presence will be so institutionalized that it will be likely be too late to stop.
    03-30-2013 01:07 PM
    I think the propensity of comparisons being made between George Orwell's 1984 and modern states is only increased by the advent and deployment of drones.
    03-30-2013 01:39 PM
    I think the propensity of comparisons being made between George Orwell's 1984 and modern states is only increased by the advent and deployment of drones.
    This is the future of drone tech, while watching them place yourself in the position of trying to hide or get away...

03-30-2013 05:14 PM
    This is the future of drone tech, while watching them place yourself in the position of trying to hide or get away...
    Can't believe I didn't know they were already that small and versatile.

The horror flick that gave me the most nightmares was the one with the flying ball or cube the cut through people's brain. Maybe Phantasm or Hellraiser or another flick, but that is exactly what these drones remind me of.
    03-30-2013 05:46 PM
    Ceti eels ftw!
    03-30-2013 09:52 PM
    Interesting perspective... does this mindset change the conversation? Or is there a difference between us doing it and someone doing it to us?
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-285598_10151446450577888_80984524_n.jpg  
    03-30-2013 11:40 PM
    Had to do some quick vandalism to this picture...
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-422587_10151448801032888_1892036263_n.jpg  
    03-30-2013 11:45 PM
    Can't believe I didn't know they were already that small and versatile.

The horror flick that gave me the most nightmares was the one with the flying ball or cube the cut through people's brain. Maybe Phantasm or Hellraiser or another flick, but that is exactly what these drones remind me of.
    Phantasm.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    jdbii likes this.
    03-31-2013 10:14 AM
    Interesting perspective... does this mindset change the conversation? Or is there a difference between us doing it and someone doing it to us?
    The kids in the school would already be dead because someone would have gotten a gun and tons of ammo because of gun rights laws and would have killed them all.
    04-09-2013 10:19 PM
    The atf, homeland security and especially the TSA purchasing massive amounts of ammo. This isn't the military. These are domestic agencies. That is not normal.
    What this government is doing is enough to bring about concern. Just because someone worries about what their government is doing doesn't make them paranoid. People in this country have too much of a "it can't happen in America" attitude. Complacentcy can lead to just as much bad as advocacy can.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Android Central Forums
    They put them on blanket purchase orders spread over multiple years. This allowed for discounted pricing but not having to take all the ammunition at once.

If you do a little research you will find that agencies buying the rounds are responsible for providing training for both federal, state, and local agencies.

Additionally, each trainee will easily shoot through a minimum of 200 rounds in a training session. Multiply that by the volume of training these departments will do for other agencies and the stockpile portion of the buy becomes negligible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    04-16-2013 08:49 PM
    Don't know anything about guns?

It's like that all over.

People are so anti gun yet don't know the first thing about them

Examples?

Calling a magazine a "clip" clips are magazines are 2 different things

Saying things like "did you know there are online gun shops that you can buy a gun from with no background check and have it shipped to your door?" um no, that's super illegal

Calling a 30 round magazine on an AR-15 a "high capacity" magazine. Um, 30 rounds on an AR is NORMAL/standard capacity. A high capacity magazine is a magazine with a higher capacity than what originally comes with it

Saying dumb things like "people don't need guns to protect themselves" when crime statistics in places like dc, Chicago, even Atlanta say otherwise. How is disarming the good guy that did go through the background checks, got his permit, his fingerprints on record with the FBI going to protect him from that thug on the streets that's willing to kill? Not to mention ALL the major anti gun politicians either have tons of armed security and/or carry permits themselves.

Or those that think certain guns are more deadly because of COSMETIC FEATURES that don't affect lethality at all.

Or those that support handgun bans when a shotgun will do so much more damage

I honestly don't think someone in Congress should be allowed to vote on issues they know nothing about.

Why is it that it's so rare to find people that know about guns that are anti gun?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    04-18-2013 12:24 PM
    Understood

But also understand that that gun that protects you can be stolen and used to kill someone else or worse...used to kill you (how will he get it ? What if a guy sneaks into your room while you are sleeping and grabs the gun)

Though having something like a paintball gun is better but you can still kill with it if you aim for the eyes.

But out of curiosity...what is the difference between a magazine and a clip ?
    anon(5857879) likes this.
    04-18-2013 03:16 PM
    Understood

But also understand that that gun that protects you can be stolen and used to kill someone else or worse...used to kill you (how will he get it ? What if a guy sneaks into your room while you are sleeping and grabs the gun)

Though having something like a paintball gun is better but you can still kill with it if you aim for the eyes.

But out of curiosity...what is the difference between a magazine and a clip ?
    Wouldn't be able to steal mine, I sleep with it within arms reach, and if you come into my home you'll set off my security system. I'll hear you long before you get to me.

Plus my other guns are locked in a safe bolted to the floor.

Oh here's the difference

voices.kansascity.com/entries/difference-between-clip-and-magazine/

bigdaddytee, Etios and Eight Bit like this.
    04-18-2013 05:10 PM
    The one that gets me are the people that insist on calling guns like the AR-15 an assault rifle instead of assault weapon (which is a bad political term IMHO anyway), when there is a big difference between the two. I can understand not knowing and correcting yourself when the differences are pointed out, but many anti gun people still use the term, if for no other reason than a scare tactic.

Btw, Swift Key's Flow function seems to not like making the word "gun" and changes it to "fun". Makes this whole argument a lot more interesting when it's turned into a fun vs. anti-fun debate. Lol
    Aquila and bigdaddytee like this.
    04-18-2013 05:50 PM
    The one that gets me are the people that insist on calling guns like the AR-15 an assault rifle instead of assault weapon (which is a bad political term IMHO anyway), when there is a big difference between the two. I can understand not knowing and correcting yourself when the differences are pointed out, but many anti gun people still use the term, if for no other reason than a scare tactic.

Btw, Swift Key's Flow function seems to not like making the word "gun" and changes it to "fun". Makes this whole argument a lot more interesting when it's turned into a fun vs. anti-fun debate. Lol
    I use swift key and have the same problem lol

04-18-2013 06:43 PM
    The answer to the op's question that comes to my mind is that the "no-fun" crowd (I have swiftkey too ) simply have less interest and little to none actual hands-on experience with guns so they naturally wouldn't know the terminology.
    04-18-2013 09:18 PM
4,617 ... 7273747576 ...