07-14-2014 07:46 AM
4,617 ... 8687888990 ...
tools
    First off I have no idea what "sus" means
    I think he meant to write "suspect." He probably was writing on his sweet Nexus 4. I have one too, and it is SWEET
    Fairclough likes this.
    05-07-2013 07:38 PM
    Between the years of 1993 and 2011, as the assault weapons ban expired, more Americans purchased guns, the Supreme Court overturned outright gun bans, and individual states not only loosed gun control restrictions but also issued concealed carry permits to private citizens, incidents of gun violence in America collapsed.
    Between 1993 and 2011, nonfatal gun crimes plummeted 69%; from 1.5 million to 467,300. Gun-related murders dropped 40%; from 18,253 to 11,101. Gun-related murders for black Americans plummeted by 51%.
    The report also shows that the media-created hysteria over school shootings is wildly misleading. Between '93 and '11, the murder rate in schools dropped by almost a third; from 29 to 20.
    Background checks have also been exposed as another bogus narrative the media's crafted out of thin air. This report proves beyond any doubt that closing the so-called gun show loophole will accomplish next to nothing. Less than one-percent of state prisoners caught with a gun purchased it at a gun show. Moreover, who knows how many of those criminals might have passed or did pass a background check.
    So-called assault weapons are also not a problem, Only "2% of state inmates and 3% of federal inmates were armed with a military-style semiautomatic or fully automatic firearm."
    What this study clearly shows is that Obama, Democrats, and the media don't give a damn about stopping gun violence. If they did, they would be focused on everything but the one and two-percent problems.
    What we have here is a yet-another culture war; nothing more nothing less -- and one aimed at the type of law-abiding citizens who attend gun shows and enjoy these so-called assault weapons. In other words, Red State conservatives.
    What is especially crucial to keep in mind is that 2011 is not some kind of outlier. If you study the original report, you will see that these decreases are all part of an 18-year trend, not an outlier year or two.
    This report is extremely good news is you are the kind of person who gives a damn about human life.
    But if you are cynical, power-hungry Democrats more uncomfortable with the idea of human freedom than you are pleased with a decrease in human life, this report is bad news. Furthermore, if you are a dishonest member of the media who believes that delivering political wins to Democrats is more important than human life, this report is also bad news.
    There is just no question that an armed American populace is a safer American populace. This study also proves that smart policing and a willingness to award serious jail time to violent offenders (two areas our criminal justice system have focused on over the last two decades) does a helluva lot more to decrease the rate of gun violence than purely symbolic gun-grabbing laws.
    Thanks to this study we also know for a fact now that the Newtown massacre is being exploited by the media only to demonize Obama's political enemies.
    .... I read the article and I agree most of the statements are factually based. What I'm trying to say is that the tone is belligerent and argumentative, meant to inflame, not reach out. If you put the part you just quoted in front of 1,000,000 liberals, 100% will be insulted. If you put it front of 1,000,000 pro-regulation people, my guess is you'd convert 1 or 2. All this is doing is making the people who already subscribe to these thoughts angry that no one else 'gets it' and making the "opposition" angry because it's insulting and doesn't offer any solutions.

Also, I don't buy the part about background checks being crafted out of thing air. Ronald Regean and the NRA both supported regulation and background checks. They might not solve all problems, but even if it only prevents 1% of gun crimes, that's still apparently 5,000 people not being victimized at no cost to law abiding citizens. That's the best argument for background checks. People who are not criminals lose nothing.

Nothing is going to prevent every crime and demonizing people who want to live in a safer world is just silly. Yes, the logic is flawed in how to accomplish that, but the goal is identical to yours. People want to live in a world where they won't be victims. Some people try to accomplish that by becoming self sufficient, others want to be protected by someone else. But, if we can at least agree upon the end that we have in mind, being a safer and more rational society, then all that's left to discuss is the "how" of strategy and execution.

Most of the proposed regulations will accomplish little to nothing positive, and some will clearly make things worse. So, what will solve it? What action will maximize the rights of law abiding citizens while ensuring that a minimum amount of crimes are committed? To me it's obvious we're talking about the wrong issue. The issue isn't guns, it's the culture being broken. If we reduce people's fear, we reduce violence and that is self-fulfilling. So is increasing tension, anger and creating false enemies where none need be.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    05-07-2013 07:41 PM
    I also think handguns are like 10 times easier to have an accident with simple because they are so much easier to hold and manipulate. A 2 year old can pick up a hand gun thinking it is a toy and accidentally shoot it. An accident like this would almost certainly never happen with a rifle. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/28/op...iend.html?_r=0

If as the author stated he was "barely proficient" then he should not have been handling a weapon. He allowed peer pressure and the fear of not being a man override his common sense. "Where I grew up, masculinity involved schooling a mean dog to guard your truck or skipping the ignition spark to fire the points, and, of course, handling guns of all kinds. I was barely proficient in any of these areas. I understood what was expected of me and responded as best I could, but did so with distance that would, I hoped, keep me from being a total fraud in my own eyes."

While the events in the story are tragic, it could have been easily avoided.

Even more 2 year olds are killed in car accidents. So why aren't people screaming about banning cars?
    jdbii likes this.
    05-07-2013 07:44 PM
    It IS a good idea, people have absolutely nothing to fear from law abiding gun owners. From the report: "So-called assault weapons are also not a problem, Only "2% of state inmates and 3% of federal inmates were armed with a military-style semiautomatic or fully automatic firearm."

This is no more a bad idea than the million man march, celebrating the 4th of July also means celebrating our way of life, our Constitution, which includes The Bill of Rights.

More simply put, the reasons for doing it ARE what make it a good idea.
    That message should precede the action. I'm sure you can understand that some people will be angry and afraid, even if you think the reasons foolish. Why isn't there an effort to educate the masses on the distinction between law abiding gun owners, statistically, and criminals?
    05-07-2013 07:44 PM
    If as the author stated he was "barely proficient" then he should not have been handling a weapon. He allowed peer pressure and the fear of not being a man override his common sense. "Where I grew up, masculinity involved schooling a mean dog to guard your truck or skipping the ignition spark to fire the points, and, of course, handling guns of all kinds. I was barely proficient in any of these areas. I understood what was expected of me and responded as best I could, but did so with distance that would, I hoped, keep me from being a total fraud in my own eyes."

While the events in the story are tragic, it could have been easily avoided.

Even more 2 year olds are killed in car accidents. So why aren't people screaming about banning cars?
    I don't blame the car or the gun. I blame the parents of the child in the case of a shooting, and the driver(s) of the cars in the case of an accident. Accidents happen, and it sucks and it'd be devastating to lose your child, especially in the case we heard of a few weeks ago, where another child killed their sibling. It's not the gun's fault, it's the fault of whoever created a situation where a child could get access to the gun, load it or find it loaded, etc. all with no intervention. Like in the case from a month of so ago when the child killed the deputy sheriff's wife. How does that happen? Adults everywhere, guns out, no one notices. Obviously no one wanted that to happen, but for the love of God, people need to take responsibility for their actions or lack of actions.

It should be noted that in the case of the cars, we do have laws requiring specific restraint systems for children in specific positions within the car to minimize damage to them. Also, while it's possible it may have happened, I've never heard of a 4 year old getting into a car, starting it and then accidentally driving over their toddler sibling.
    05-07-2013 07:53 PM
    There is a societal cost-benefit analysis also to consider. We've decided to accept the risk inherit with the use of cars even though they kill tens of thousands each year in the US alone. I think there is general consensus on the issue, but opinions differ on the cost-benefit analysis on what is tolerable and what is not regarding gun policy. One issue that really tears me apart is I think 50 people a day in the US take their own lives with a firearm by suicide. (Don't quote if I got the fact wrong. or if I am wrong sorry). I believe that most of those suicides are with hand guns.
    05-07-2013 08:04 PM
    And you don't think they would find another way if they couldn't legally buy a gun? You're grasping at straws now.

< Sent directly from Hotlanta, via Tampa, via New York City >
    05-07-2013 08:18 PM
    That third paragraph also echo's what I said earlier in the debate... if the bulk of 70% of homicides are committed with handguns.... why in the world are we talking so much about cosmetic changes to rifles? I don't really agree with banning anything without a damned good reason, but if we were going to ban some type of gun (that's not already banned)... why wouldn't it be pistols?
    Agreed.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    05-07-2013 08:40 PM
    Background checks are idiotic because robbers, rapists, gang bangers , and any other criminal don't get background checks.
    Libatards will never understand that basic fact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
    05-07-2013 08:43 PM
    And you don't think they would find another way if they couldn't legally buy a gun? You're grasping at straws now.
    Oh, you mean sort of like James Holmes, who would have probably either poison-gassed or just blown up the whole theater if he couldn't have bought a gun instead?
    05-07-2013 08:45 PM
    For the point before some cars are banned and restricted to groups in some countries. Now the march is stupid. My comment sus = suspicious. Think about it, to kill someone you wouldn't want to be obvious you would conceal and walking down the street with a rifle is very suspicious. I don't know about you but I would think there would be a lot of attention on that individual

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    jdbii likes this.
    05-07-2013 08:59 PM
    Comparing automobile deaths vs gun deaths is nonsense.

Many people who die, die in hospitals. So, let's get rid of the hospitals.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    jdbii, Aquila, Fairclough and 1 others like this.
    05-07-2013 09:02 PM
    People that don't use them don't care if they're illegal or not. Everyone uses cars though. Its kind of like that thing where other people should pay higher taxes, just not me. Other peoples govt money should be stopped, just not mine.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Aquila likes this.
    05-07-2013 09:07 PM
    For the point before some cars are banned and restricted to groups in some countries. Now the march is stupid. My comment sus = suspicious. Think about it, to kill someone you wouldn't want to be obvious you would conceal and walking down the street with a rifle is very suspicious. I don't know about you but I would think there would be a lot of attention on that individual

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    And this is exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, why I think it is worthwhile to consider banning weapons that even cosmetically look a certain way even if functionally no different. If someone is walking on the street on getting in their car with a weapon that normally only the police and military use then that person is going to be suspicious and somebody likely is going to call the police. I truly believe that massacres in the US would have been avoided if this had been the case.
    Fairclough likes this.
    05-07-2013 09:07 PM
    Oh, you mean sort of like James Holmes, who would have probably either poison-gassed or just blown up the whole theater if he couldn't have bought a gun instead?
    Are you really trying to say that poison-gas and/or explosives haven't been used by fringe elements before? Or are you agreeing with me? (Don't know you that well yet).

05-07-2013 09:09 PM
    Are you really trying to say that poison-gas and/or explosives haven't been used by fringe elements before? Or are you agreeing with me? (Don't know you that well yet).
    To answer your post in reverse order: Yes, I'm agreeing with you; Yes, I'm aware fringe elements have used those means before, but that has nothing to do with the point I'm making.
    Aquila likes this.
    05-07-2013 09:40 PM
    There is one thing no one says about Holmes. The gun control crowd likes to use him for an example on high cap clips. One thing they wont say is how incredibly unreliable they are. Holmes gun jammed due to his high capacity clip. He would have killed more people with 10 round clips or a bolt action .223.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    05-07-2013 09:48 PM
    Holmes was the least dangerous with a gun, no matter how he was feeding bullets into the chamber. He could only harm people who were in the same room with him by using a gun.
    05-07-2013 10:06 PM
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Attached Thumbnails Firearms and self-defense-uploadfromtaptalk1367982690957.jpg  
    Tall Mike 2145 and Aquila like this.
    05-07-2013 10:11 PM
    This controversial sign (there are two of them) is located in Greeley Colorado.

Many Native Americans are upset and dismayed by this sign.

The issue, for me, is that the entity that posted this message remains anonymous. The sign company, Lamar so far has refused to identify the client citing client confidentiality.

First, why does the client want privacy? Are they not supportive of their message?

Second, and to me more importantly, how can you use a public space to deliver your message yet maintain privacy? We are not talking graffiti here. This is a regulated industry. Very odd.

Blue 32gb Galaxy S3
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    05-07-2013 10:59 PM
    Why does it feel (to me, anyway) that us Americans are more worried about losing the right to bear arms, than finding out why these mass shootings are happening in the first place?

Finding out why these things didn't happen when WE were in school (70's and 80's for me).

Weren't there psychotic people walking amongst us back then too? Why didn't they (and previous psychotics) do this in past generations?

WHAT has changed? WHAT flipped the switch in these people to put the thought in their heads that they need to callously murder multiple innocent people, including children?

Why do we live now knowing that it's just a short matter of time before the next day full of breaking news, innocents slaughtered, by whatever means, whether by your favorite guns or some other method that cowards employ?

It's simply too easy for anybody bent on killing, to do just that; with anything they can get their hands on.

We need to know what's changed in people's minds over the last generation in order to take the first baby step towards fixing it.

Worry more about the cause of our families, friends and children getting slaughtered, than your toys.

05-07-2013 11:31 PM
    Why does it feel (to me, anyway) that us Americans are more worried about losing the right to bear arms, than finding out why these mass shootings are happening in the first place?

Finding out why these things didn't happen when WE were in school (70's and 80's for me).

Weren't there psychotic people walking amongst us back then too? Why didn't they (and previous psychotics) do this in past generations?

WHAT has changed? WHAT flipped the switch in these people to put the thought in their heads that they need to callously murder multiple innocent people, including children?

Why do we live now knowing that it's just a short matter of time before the next day full of breaking news, innocents slaughtered, by whatever means, whether by your favorite guns or some other method that cowards employ?

It's simply too easy for anybody bent on killing, to do just that; with anything they can get their hands on.

We need to know what's changed in people's minds over the last generation in order to take the first baby step towards fixing it.

Worry more about the cause of our families, friends and children getting slaughtered, than your toys.

I'm not sure anything is actually different other than everyone knows about it, which seems to be accelerating the rates. If you think about it, 15 years ago, you didn't have "viral" news to the extent we do now. According to the study Live2Ride linked, homicides and gun crimes as a whole are actually down since they passed the first sets of gun control in 1994 and even more since those controls expired in 2004. What's different? Now we hear about each and every case. These atrocious stories about communities **** shaming rape victims probably aren't new... but the fact we hear about them is. Think about the stories about priests molesting children... the rates are decreasing, but the frequency about us hearing them is increasing. When's the last time you went a week without hearing about a priest doing this? Apparently that was at it's worst at the turn of the 20th century, yet are awareness reached height only in the last couple of decades, peaking in the last couple of years.

There have always been ridiculous, sick people that hurt other people in horrifying ways. I think an interesting question is, "why aren't we trying to stop them?" Seriously, our goal seems to be to try to sensationalize the aftermath of broken families and broken lives, rush in with a clean up crew to exploit the blood and tears, for ratings and dollars, before it's all washed away and then use the stories gleaned from shattered hearts to further partisan divide with stupid, silly, ignorant soundbites.
    Tall Mike 2145 likes this.
    05-08-2013 12:44 AM
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and make three statements that I think are true.
    1. We all love Freedom, Liberty and want what is best for society or our family, or whatever.
    2. We all love Android. Probably because of #1, at least subconsciously.
    3. Based on 1 and 2, there is enough common ground for us to agree on the sincerity or well meaning intent of each other to keep things civil and make reasoned arguments, not attacking each other.

If all 3 are true, then I think a lot of us are agreeing on the same things and just saying them in such wildly different ways that it feels like arguing. It's like we agree on 99% of the issue, but want to go to war over the interpretation of that last 1%. I might be wrong about that, but lately in this forum and in the Samsung/HTC areas, it seems like everyone is quick to draw swords, ignoring all of the self evident agreement that had to exist for us to even be having these conversations.
    msndrstood and GadgetGator like this.
    05-08-2013 05:42 AM
    One thing life and hstory has proven. People who can't or don't have the means to defend themselves are targets/bullied. If it is by indviduals, governments or what have you. Sad but true.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    05-08-2013 08:45 AM
    It IS a good idea, people have absolutely nothing to fear from law abiding gun owners. From the report: "So-called assault weapons are also not a problem, Only "2% of state inmates and 3% of federal inmates were armed with a military-style semiautomatic or fully automatic firearm."

This is no more a bad idea than the million man march, celebrating the 4th of July also means celebrating our way of life, our Constitution, which includes The Bill of Rights.

More simply put, the reasons for doing it ARE what make it a good idea.
    How about all of the non-legal gun owners in Washington? She makes it sound like we have to fear the LEGAL gun owners...what a joke!
    05-09-2013 08:36 AM
4,617 ... 8687888990 ...