I'm a libertarian.

I don't like liberals. Liberals want to be everybody's mommy - they want to take care of us and tuck us in at night, meet all of our needs, which sounds sweet but the problem is when has government ever really been the solution to anybody's problems? Nothing but bureaucratic red tape that ends up keeping the aid away from the people who need it and putting it in the hands of people who don't. Not to mention that when the government takes on a need, it no longer matters if I may be morally opposed to it, I still end up footing the bill as a taxpayer. No thanks.

I don't like conservatives. Conservatives want to be everybody's daddy - they want to tell everyone how they should think and behave. They want to legislate morality. That's what the Taliban did with Sharia Law in Afghanistan, and all throughout the invasions, we kept hearing on the news how wrong they were to be enforcing their religious beliefs on the public. Meanwhile, the same administration that took us into Afghanistan was also trying to tell us that two gay people shouldn't be allowed to wed because it violates God's law or something, so we should amend the Constitution to keep it from happening. No thanks.

I like libertarians. We treat people like adults. The libertarian view is that every crime should have a victim, and if you can't convince me there's a victim, then you probably shouldn't be able to enact a law against it. We also don't think it's the government's job to solve everyone's problems - in almost every case, there's a charity or a business out there that can do it better and cheaper than the government can. Libertarians figure we Americans can come up with better ways to spend our money than turning it all over to the government so they can decide who deserves it all more.
    08-27-2013 05:46 PM
    Comparing conservatives to the Taliban........

That's insulting
    Aquila likes this.
    08-27-2013 06:15 PM

That's insulting
    I can see the relationship in that the Taliban is an ultra-right wing of the theocratic conservative movement in the middle east and there are american conservatives that emulate their values. But it doesn't apply to all conservatives. The modern conservative is being defined by the "primary" conservative, which is hardcore in step with Taliban values. This is because their primary value motivations seem to be motivated by religion, rather than founding principles. However, that group in the US, just like there, is a tiny minority of the electorate... they just happen to be very loud and it's easy to create memes out of their remarks.

The problem is... we don't have two categories to choose from, but a spectrum. One is not a liberal or a conservative on every issue unless they're a simpleton, and even then there are varying degrees of opinion on what to do within those respective spectra. Every person has a perspective on every issue and lumping all conservatives with all right wing and ultra right wing fringe groups across the planet is a mistake.

I'm fairly conservative in that I don't want the government to have an opinion on anything that they're not lawfully required to. Unfortunately, this can come across as "liberal" on issues like the legalization of gay marriage and marijuana ... because if I'm the federal government, I don't care. Do whatever, neither are hurting anyone. If the official party line is a strong "f that" to both items, I have to question why it's okay to waste resources combating either thing while ******** about the deficit, etc.

I also don't believe in a bare bones government, but an optimized government. If we want to have public education funded by the states/federal government, lets do it... but lets not halfass it. Either make the best system in the world or give it up. Paying for 10% of what it needs is a waste of all 10% of those dollars. If the people mandate the government partake in steering of a project, then that project should be executed at a level deserving of the effort. If the people don't mandate a project, such as NSA spying on american citizens... then the government shouldn't be doing it. At all.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
    08-27-2013 07:10 PM

That's insulting
    You got to it before I did.

Aquila likes this.
    08-27-2013 09:26 PM
    I am a Libertarian who believes in and has extremely conservative and libertarian friends who believe in a Single Payer system.

Wait what......
    Aquila likes this.
    09-01-2013 07:26 PM

I like this guy
    09-03-2013 09:21 PM

I like this guy
    Really? I watched about 60 of his videos with a group of friends when we were drinking. Funniest night ever
    09-03-2013 09:25 PM
    Is it safe to assume all of these librarians can help me find which row books about photon refraction in a microbeam anti-gravitational vacuum?
    09-03-2013 09:27 PM
    Really? I watched about 60 of his videos with a group of friends when we were drinking. Funniest night ever

I like him, not for president, but I agree with what he says. Especially the video where he talks about what he would do if he were president during Benghazi
    09-03-2013 09:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD