01-28-2014 11:20 PM
249 ... 678910
tools
    In March of 2010, our insurance company sent us a letter stating that since the ACA was signed 10 days before the letter our insurance premiums were increasing 100% from 350/mo to 700/mo. We had 2 days to make the decision to pay the increase or get new insurance. We'd had the same insurance for 30 years.

There is no way that the rates increased in 10 days when the gist of the law wouldn't take effect for 4 years. It was greed pure and simple.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Companies always react to government intervention. Usually negatively as we are seeing with the ACA.

Just like every time tax cuts/hikes are up on the table for adjustment. Companies horde money and hesitate on new projects/expansions until they know how much more expendature will be forced on them. I am sure in your case it was the same. They saw that there was going to be big changes in the industry, so they went ahead and hiked up rates in anticipation of new expenses. It is a self preservation reflex.
    10-11-2013 02:03 PM
    In March of 2010, our insurance company sent us a letter stating that since the ACA was signed 10 days before the letter our insurance premiums were increasing 100% from 350/mo to 700/mo. We had 2 days to make the decision to pay the increase or get new insurance. We'd had the same insurance for 30 years.

There is no way that the rates increased in 10 days when the gist of the law wouldn't take effect for 4 years. It was greed pure and simple.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

This I'll agree with. If anyone in healthcare, esp insurance companies, can find a door cracked just enough to make a buck, they'll kick it in and make a **** load until someone shuts the door completely.
    10-11-2013 02:12 PM
    Companies always react to government intervention. Usually negatively as we are seeing with the ACA.

Just like every time tax cuts/hikes are up on the table for adjustment. Companies horde money and hesitate on new projects/expansions until they know how much more expendature will be forced on them. I am sure in your case it was the same. They saw that there was going to be big changes in the industry, so they went ahead and hiked up rates in anticipation of new expenses. It is a self preservation reflex.
    It came back to bite them in the ***, so many people left the fund they are really struggling now. It was a self funded medical fund.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free
    10-11-2013 02:13 PM
    This I'll agree with. If anyone in healthcare, esp insurance companies, can find a door cracked just enough to make a buck, they'll kick it in and make a **** load until someone shuts the door completely.
    We knew it at the time, the people in the know admitted as much. We left after one month. That amount was not sustainable for us. My husband got his own insurance for 250/mo and I picked up Medicare since I was eligible through disability. So now our medical costs are back to 350/mo with all of my pre existing conditions. Good old Medicare.

10-11-2013 02:17 PM
    We knew it at the time, the people in the know admitted as much. We left after one month. That amount was not sustainable for us. My husband got his own insurance for 250/mo and I picked up Medicare since I was eligible through disability. So now our medical costs are back to 350/mo with all of my pre existing conditions. Good old Medicare.

I'm sure you must be aware that they raided Medicare to help fund Obamacare. If you look into the dwindling choices and rights for those unfortunately with only Medicare, it isn't a happy discovery. But maybe Medicare will be fine for another year or two.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    10-11-2013 02:51 PM
    People aren't understanding that obamacare affects private insurance premiums as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    mrsmumbles and qxr like this.
    10-11-2013 02:51 PM
    I'm sure you must be aware that they raided Medicare to help fund Obamacare. If you look into the dwindling choices and rights for those unfortunately with only Medicare, it isn't a happy discovery. But maybe Medicare will be fine for another year or two.

I haven't noticed any changes yet. Bills get paid. The largest bill I've had was $35, from the ophthalmologist for a retina scan, that was my %20.

10-11-2013 02:54 PM
    People aren't understanding that obamacare affects private insurance premiums as well.

That's what we've been talking about.

10-11-2013 02:55 PM

50 billion came out of medicare immediately that was slotted for mental health. It was one if the 1st changes and was implemented immediately.
    They still gave not explained the double accounting in savings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-11-2013 03:02 PM
    50 billion came out of medicare immediately that was slotted for mental health. It was one if the 1st changes and was implemented immediately.
    They still gave not explained the double accounting in savings.

Yes, and I've read that they estimate roughly 50% of the US population suffers from mental illness. Interesting number, really...

qxr likes this.
    10-11-2013 03:05 PM
    It's interesting that Americans are so much... wackier than the rest of the world. Especially in these most recent estimates.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preva...ntal_disorders

10-11-2013 03:15 PM
    Yes, and I've read that they estimate roughly 50% of the US population suffers from mental illness. Interesting number, really...

lol lol, 90% of my household does :screwy:

Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    cdmjlt369, qxr and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-11-2013 03:15 PM
    lol lol, 90% of my household does :screwy:

Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    Yes, but what interests me is the numbers the government is using. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't something strange going on.

cdmjlt369 and qxr like this.
    10-11-2013 03:32 PM
    Yes, but what interests me is the numbers the government is using. Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean there isn't something strange going on.

Also another problem. The government is assuming control of too much, getting too big. Don't dare question your government....lol

qxr and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-11-2013 03:40 PM

THIS :thumbup:

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-11-2013 03:42 PM
    It's interesting that Americans are so much... wackier than the rest of the world. Especially in these most recent estimates.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preva...ntal_disorders

It's disproportionate in America because we can't just say someone is weird or inherently stupid. We have to create some sort of disorder and proscribe them something. Plus we probably check more often for the same reasons.
    10-11-2013 06:17 PM

This is a quote that needs to be said over and over again.

When you stop questioning those that have power over you, you effectively give them total power over you. And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

This applies to government. Police. Military. Everything.
    qxr, plumbrich and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-11-2013 06:21 PM
    Absolutely.

It's already horrifying to read the material on the very good web site androidsecuritytest.com. If they're in my phone they're in my home already.

10-11-2013 07:23 PM
    Absolutely.

It's already horrifying to read the material on the very good web site androidsecuritytest.com. If they're in my phone they're in my home already.

Careful...you'll be labeled a conspiracy theorist if you don't trust the government. ..lol

10-11-2013 07:41 PM
    Those are emergency or urgent situations. If I want a cat scan or a colonoscopy or a prostate exam i can go to a doctor right now and scheduled it for next week and insurance will cover it more than likely. Other countries tests like this are rationed out on a "need" basis.

I would sure hope that you could walk into any hospital in a developed country with a cracked skull and immediately receive care. If there are developed countries where you cant, then i dont know why anyone is complaining about the US system lol.
    Even with my non serious issues same day treatment, e.g. Rash, i did my shoulder blade - went to the doctor which is a small practise, went to the x-ray and ultrasound nextdoor - same day different companies. $10 out of pocket for almost $300 worth of optional scans.

I know, how sub par is our health system :\ $10 whole dollars for an optional x-ray and ultrasound - talk about stealing a kidney :\ /end of sarcasm. (the story was true though the stealing a kidney is sarcasm)

It's disproportionate in America because we can't just say someone is weird or inherently stupid. We have to create some sort of disorder and proscribe them something. Plus we probably check more often for the same reasons.
    Our Psychologists use the same definitions are yours.
    The states sound about right when half the people don't want a cheaper, better health system x)
    10-12-2013 12:06 AM
    Our Psychologists use the same definitions are yours.
    The states sound about right when half the people don't want a cheaper, better health system x)
    Sense psychological isn't a soft science completely dependent on interpretation or anything...

And just because we want a system with options and choices instead of a mandatory system without any options for levels of coverage or competition to stimulate medical research, does not mean we are stupid. If you are OK having you healthcare controlled and dictated by someone else, that is your business. I am sure the thought of having control and response ability over something is scary. Go talk to your apparently wonderful shrinks about it.
    mrsmumbles and cdmjlt369 like this.
    10-12-2013 07:37 AM
    Don't dare question your government....lol
    It's our right to question our government. The people are ultimately in charge. If people don't pay attention to their own government, they really shouldn't be surprised if it ends up being bloated and inefficient. This goes for health care, spending, defense, and anything else that involves the government. The government can only do what they do if the people give it a long enough leash. Sometimes you need to pull that leash back in and show them who's boss.
    qxr likes this.
    10-12-2013 09:24 PM
    Our health care treatment is all by choice, public or private.
    Private starts at $1-4 a week, hefty right!
    10-13-2013 07:43 AM
    Americans need to question their government or else this would happen.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    cdmjlt369, mrsmumbles and qxr like this.
    10-14-2013 01:56 PM
    Americans need to question their government or else this would happen.
    It would be a great first step if people wrote to their senators and representatives and told them how unhappy they were. Unfortunately, in this age of Facebook and Twitter, most people have forgotten how to write coherent sentences. Everything is a "like" or a "+1" these days. I'm not even sure people know how much a first-class stamp costs today.
    qxr and cdmjlt369 like this.
    10-15-2013 12:53 AM
249 ... 678910