01-28-2014 11:20 PM
249 ... 78910
tools
    Americans need to question their government or else this would happen. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/10/15/a9u4ujup.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Interesting that the patriot act didn't get many folks up in arms until now...

<<<Sent from my Rooted (soon to be) 64+ gig Rezound!>>>
    10-15-2013 10:45 PM
    Interesting that the patriot act didn't get many folks up in arms until now...

It did bother those of us who understood it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    qxr and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-16-2013 02:56 AM
    It did bother those of us who understood it.

This.

I have said that the patriot act was the worst piece of legislation ever written into law. Under it, your privacy is nonexistent. They know everything you do and have done.
    msndrstood and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-16-2013 06:49 AM
    This.

I have said that the patriot act was the worst piece of legislation ever written into law. Under it, your privacy is nonexistent. They know everything you do and have done.
    Agree 100%.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 07:19 AM
    I wasn't really sure of what this thread was really about until tonight, when i received a text that was from (contact 1). But when i opened it, at the top of the thread it said (contact 1) and for each of the received messages in the thread it said (contact 2). I just backed out and re-opened the messaging app. Fixed.
    I was, but it seemed I was the only one.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2
    10-16-2013 04:21 PM
    Um, that wasn't the post I quoted. Dunno what happened but Tapatalk is doing weird stuff.

10-16-2013 04:23 PM
    The patriot act is nightmare stuff. I couldn't believe they went ahead and passed it. Moreover I couldn't believe no one was protesting it.

10-16-2013 04:25 PM
    The patriot act is nightmare stuff. I couldn't believe they went ahead and passed it. Moreover I couldn't believe no one was protesting it.

At the time disagreement with the Bush administration , in any way, made you an automatic crony of the Taliban.

In Louisiana anyway. I got some guff at my national guard unit too as I recall.

Now the same folks are surprised by domestic drones....the blank check has been filled in...

(Sorry to derail the thread)

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 05:35 PM
    At the time disagreement with the Bush administration , in any way, made you an automatic crony of the Taliban.

In Louisiana anyway. I got some guff at my national guard unit too as I recall.

Now the same folks are surprised by domestic drones....the blank check has been filled in...

(Sorry to derail the thread)

Yes, I can agree. If you were against it, people thought you must be an *****, unconcerned with terrorism!
    I think the librarians' association were against it. Not sure who else.

10-16-2013 05:41 PM
    Um, that wasn't the post I quoted. Dunno what happened but Tapatalk is doing weird stuff.

It's a known bug. Nothing you did.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    10-16-2013 06:00 PM
    It's a known bug. Nothing you did.

Thanks.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    10-17-2013 12:41 PM
    Thanks.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Anytime

10-17-2013 01:03 PM
    Nope, personal irresponsibility. If more people put their priorities right, they wouldn't be put into most situations leading to bankruptcy in the first place. Bankruptcy is just a symptom of a person's inability to spend their money wisely in most cases.
    So, are there cases where bankruptcy is unrelated to a person's spending habits, especially in situations involving large medical bills?
    10-23-2013 03:45 PM
    So, are there cases where bankruptcy is unrelated to a person's spending habits, especially in situations involving large medical bills?
    There are, but those are actually few and far between. Even in the case of large medical bills, if you did the right thing by making proper insurance a priority, that would rarely happen. About the only way it would is if you were in such bad shape that you hit a lifetime cap on your policy (I think many had $5-10 million lifetime caps when I last shopped). There are a number of things that can cause someone to go bankrupt, but usually the path leading to it started long before that final straw and could have been prevented.

And if you re-read what you quoted from me, you'd see I emphasised "most" bankruptcies. That alone had already technically answered your question.
    10-23-2013 04:26 PM
    There are, but those are actually few and far between.
    Yes, I did notice that your statement emphasized "most" bankruptcies.

When you talk about proper insurance, are you talking about plans that supplement the ones offered by your employer?
    10-23-2013 04:35 PM
    I know a few people that have filed for BK because of health bills, even though they had decent health insurance. And the biggest cause, neurological disorders. I do know a little something about that.

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...064_666715.htm

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    qxr likes this.
    10-23-2013 04:57 PM
    When you talk about proper insurance, are you talking about plans that supplement the ones offered by your employer?
    In general, pretty much any standard plan, be it through an employer or fully private, will be adequate. Most supplemental plans like cancer specific plans are going to be a waste of money as standard insurance covers stuff like that anyway. Even short term disability can be foregone if you have your own emergency fund (that everyone should have imho anyway).

The only time I'd want a supplemental plan would be if I had reason to believe it would come in handy. Like a strong family history of a major illness.
    qxr likes this.
    10-23-2013 06:08 PM
    Absent a time machine to fix mistakes, hindsight is of little use to a person or family that is currently in trouble. In any case, with the example of a family, at what point is it a small child's responsibility to live in poverty and misery because of some mistakes their parents made?

The leading indicators for future prosperity lie in education, in not only quality, but opportunity. Our society seems to delight in depriving both to those in the most dire of straights. Hindsight is useful if we learn from it and make better decisions in the future, but it's approximately worthless when trying to dig out of a hole that already exists.

A bad decision or two shouldn't create a deficit that takes generations to surmount. It may not be our responsibility as a society to help people up, but if it's not there may be little point in a society. Either way you feel on that discussion, it definitely ought not to be our task to hold them down.
    10-24-2013 05:14 AM
    Absent a time machine to fix mistakes, hindsight is of little use to a person or family that is currently in trouble. In any case, with the example of a family, at what point is it a small child's responsibility to live in poverty and misery because of some mistakes their parents made?

The leading indicators for future prosperity lie in education, in not only quality, but opportunity. Our society seems to delight in depriving both to those in the most dire of straights. Hindsight is useful if we learn from it and make better decisions in the future, but it's approximately worthless when trying to dig out of a hole that already exists.

A bad decision or two shouldn't create a deficit that takes generations to surmount. It may not be our responsibility as a society to help people up, but if it's not there may be little point in a society. Either way you feel on that discussion, it definitely ought not to be our task to hold them down.
    Well said.

10-24-2013 07:15 AM
    Well said.

EVERYTHING Matt says is well-said, he's a freakin' genius.

His I.Q. is probably 200!

msndrstood likes this.
    10-24-2013 08:51 AM
    Look up Dr. Shetty in Forbes.
    Its not necessary free but its an improvement on the us system

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    10-24-2013 09:12 PM
    EVERYTHING Matt says is well-said, he's a freakin' genius.

His I.Q. is probably 200!

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    Not sure of the accuracy of the number, but I appreciate the vote of confidence lol
    If I were going to guess, I'd ballpark over 100.
    10-24-2013 09:13 PM
    Not sure of the accuracy of the number, but I appreciate the vote of confidence lol
    If I were going to guess, I'd ballpark over 100.
    I used to be 138, I know you're smarter than me.

10-24-2013 09:30 PM
    I used to be 138, I know you're smarter than me.

lol everyone knows something that no one else knows and we can all learn a lot from anyone.
    10-24-2013 09:33 PM
    In general, people look at the circumstances surrounding a bankruptcy. They don't show much sympathy towards those who become bankrupt after spending their money on lavish gifts, luxuries, and expensive vacations. However, people may be more understanding of bankruptcies that resulted from things from cancer and other diseases that are expensive to treat. Some people work hard and play by the rules, but they still suffer because life throws them a curve ball they couldn't anticipate.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-28-2013 09:44 PM
249 ... 78910