11-14-2013 07:34 PM
749 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Slightly...lol...didn't know what happened.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    It's a bug in Tapatalk, which the AC Forum app gets its code from.

Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    10-14-2013 05:24 PM
    I could buy into this, but when we have a system that is dependent on 2 parties it will never happen.

The Democrats have viewed the ACA as the big gold nugget they stole when they hadI complete control of the government. The leadership of the party will not allow any changes to it and the party members will follow protocol even if they like the changes. And it's very hard to threaten reelection when the media will just demonize any changes as an attempt by the mean old Republicans to destroy our perfect president's baby.
    That's one great set of reasons for campaign reform. Take money out of politics and create a possibility of representatives who's values and constituents dictate action, rather than their own corruption.
    10-14-2013 05:25 PM
    That's one great set of reasons for campaign reform. Take money out of politics and create a possibility of representatives who's values and constituents dictate action, rather than their own corruption.
    Money taken out from politics will never happen. Money makes the world go 'round. And power is the width of a hair behind that.

You will never get corruption out of politics. You will never get mistrust out of politics. You will never see loyalty and integrity in politics.

It's the nature of the human beast and humans are pretty much always looking for a way through, in or around, while stepping on other people's heads.

It happens everywhere you look.
    Families, at work, etc. Government is the cream of the crop, especially when the cream is dog poo.

10-14-2013 05:44 PM
    Money taken out from politics will never happen. Money makes the world go 'round. And power is the width of a hair behind that.

You will never get corruption out of politics. You will never get mistrust out of politics. You will never see loyalty and integrity in politics.

It's the nature of the human beast and humans are pretty much always looking for a way through, in or around, while stepping on other people's heads.

Families, at work, etc. Government is the cream of the crop, especially when the cream is dog poo.

•• Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    And yet that's what I spend my volunteer time in the community doing. It won't happen tomorrow, but there are many major efforts to push for campaign reform, including 4 constitutional amendment movements that I work with. It's obvious that Congress won't work to its own undoing directly in this, they won't vote themselves lower pay or out of jobs... but at a state and local level, support for fixing the system is enormous and we don't need Congress in order to pass amendments to the constitution. An Article V convention can be held via representatives from State Legislatures and an amendment can be forced upon the Federal Government. 34 States would have to request the convention and 38 states have to ratify the agreement.
    10-14-2013 06:01 PM
    The tea party is the last openly conservative part of the Republican party. The party as a whole is nothing but Democrat-light these days. If they loose the last stand of their conservative base, they will eventually cease to exist. The conservatives will either reform the current party or create a new one all together. No one wants to be misrepresented by a party of moderates that do nothing but try to please everyone while pleasing no one.

The Republicans have good reason to fear the loss of the Tea party.
    Is this the Tea Party you're talking about? The people running around who are still demanding Obama's birth certificate and claiming he's a Muslim?

Yesterday, angry Tea Party protesters carried barricades from the closed World War II Memorial and pile them outside the White House after a rally with Sarah Palin and Senator Ted Cruz whipped them into frenzy. I heard one on CNN telling the group that Obama needs to put his Koran down. Freedom Watch founder Larry Klayman declaring at the protest: "We are now ruled, by a president who bows down to Allah.

I've read a few Tea Party forum where half way through a discussion they start quoting the bible, instead of discussing the issue. It looks like a bunch of people talking in tongue. Things like we can't save Christianity if we can't save Israel, due to some scripture about pillars. It was bizarre.

I am sorry, but they don't represent main stream America, nor a conservative thought process.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-14-2013 06:07 PM

This is exactly why government was meant to be small.

10-14-2013 06:07 PM
    Our government can't decide on how to spend money we don't have. Oh and did you know our government spends $200 million everyday? The total amount of money required to end world hunger is $195 million. 'MURICA!!!!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-14-2013 06:55 PM
    This is exactly why government was meant to be small.

Just like a communist party

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-14-2013 06:55 PM
    True...but no one has ever outright refused to negotiate. They all need to be reminded they work for the people. We let them all get away with too much. In my opinion, all public office should be limited to 8 years and done in 4 , 2year terms. Only receiving pay for time served. I believe this would help, some.

Erm. The house has outright refused a conference committee with the senate for a CR for several months. The same CR that would have prevented a shutdown.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-14-2013 11:05 PM
    The tea party is the last openly conservative part of the Republican party. The party as a whole is nothing but Democrat-light these days. If they loose the last stand of their conservative base, they will eventually cease to exist. The conservatives will either reform the current party or create a new one all together. No one wants to be misrepresented by a party of moderates that do nothing but try to please everyone while pleasing no one.

The Republicans have good reason to fear the loss of the Tea party.
    The tea party is not conservative. They are reactionaries. Point blank, period.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-14-2013 11:07 PM
    Erm. The house has outright refused a conference committee with the senate for a CR for several months. The same CR that would have prevented a shutdown.
    Clean CR is a blank check. Not wanted my many, not needed. Changes in business as usual in spending needed. The dems want a blank check, then and now.

10-15-2013 12:40 AM
    The tea party is not conservative. They are reactionaries. Point blank, period.
    Our whole government is reactionary.

10-15-2013 12:41 AM
    I agree with you on some parts but there are people who no one wants to hire for example homeless people can apply for plently of jobs but no one wants to hire them when there the ones that need the most help

Sent from my SCH-M828C using AC Forums mobile app
    I found that there are a lot of resources for homeless people if they want to get off the streets and work. There's rehab, mental health services, halfway houses, soup kitchens, clothing donations, and more. The sad truth is dependency is a learned helplessness and it's easier to stay down.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    10-15-2013 12:45 AM
    They are trying to make us all believe that Obamacare is legal AND IT IS NOT LEGAL...
    Was Justice Roberts under some sort of obligation to say that Obamacare could be implemented as a tax? Couldn't he simply rule that Obamacare was unconstitutional and just leave it at that? We have to remember that Justice Roberts is a Bush appointee. This is not a ruling that I would have expected from him. The vote was 5-4. He could have easily cast the deciding vote to change the outcome.

Furthermore, does anyone have standing on this issue? If someone has standing, I believe they can bring up the issue again in front of the Supreme Court and get another ruling to overturn it.
    10-15-2013 01:21 AM
    I also wanted to comment on the situation of losing a good job after buying a house, etc.

One of the things that's particularly bad these days is nothing can be relied on, and nothing is safe.

It's not like when I grew up, and people stayed with a company all their life. Everything is impermanent now, and things which require permanence, or at least some measure of reliability such as marriage and family are especially stressed.

This is all the more reason to vote for policy changes back to a model of decreased government spending and debt.

Businesses and employers would be adding good, stable jobs, instead of slashing their numbers of positions and employee hours if they weren't being taxed to the bone.

There's more to address on the topic, but I'm tired. Mainly, I've discovered civilization only works until it doesn't and for any of us that could be any time, and is. We have to get over the notion that life should be "safe". It never really was, and if we ever thought so, we were under the delusions of a happier youth.

cdmjlt369 likes this.
    10-15-2013 01:27 AM
    I also wanted to comment on the situation of losing a good job after buying a house, etc.

One of the things that's particularly bad these days is nothing can be relied on, and nothing is safe.

It's not like when I grew up, and people stayed with a company all their life. Everything is impermanent now, and things which require permanence, or at least some measure of reliability such as marriage and family are especially stressed.

This is all the more reason to vote for policy changes back to a model of decreased government spending and debt.

Businesses and employers would be adding good, stable jobs, instead of slashing their numbers of positions and employee hours if they weren't being taxed to the bone.

There's more to address on the topic, but I'm tired. Mainly, I've discovered civilization only works until it doesn't and for any of us that could be any time, and is. We have to get over the notion that life should be "safe". It never really was, and if we ever thought so, we were under the delusions of a happier youth.

I must be misreading what you wrote, but I'm pretty sure you contradicted yourself in moving from the first part of your statement, about how the past was good, so we should decrease government spending, to the end, when you said that life is never safe and if you thought so you were "under the delusions of a happier youth".

Soooo how do you know you didn't just think things were better back then? Do you have data to show that people changed jobs less, or that marriages were any more stable than they are now?

I don't think the problem is as simple as decreasing debt by cutting government spending. What about the large corporations hat get away with paying next to nothing in taxes even though their profit margins are huge? Why can't we simply tax them more, and also use that money to enable decreased taxes for smaller companies, which could encourage growth and discourages monopolies?
    10-15-2013 01:47 AM
    Clean CR is a blank check. Not wanted my many, not needed. Changes in business as usual in spending needed. The dems want a blank check, then and now.

He didn't say "clean CR".

How is a clean CR a "blank check"? It would be temporary, and this would need to be done all over again in a few months. It would give them time to sit down and hash things out, but also allow the government to open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    10-15-2013 03:11 AM
    He didn't say "clean CR".

How is a clean CR a "blank check"? It would be temporary, and this would need to be done all over again in a few months. It would give them time to sit down and hash things out, but also allow the government to open.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Many people seem to be operating under the misconception that raising the debt limit and/or continuing to pay our existing bills is either increasing spending and/or optional. Both are outright false, as it's simply a matter of making good on money that the Congress has already mandated that we spend through legislation they've already passed. Raising the debt limit is going to happen, it's literally impossible for it not to happen. That money has to be borrowed because Congress authorized spending without balancing the budget. There's literally no other option other than closing the Fed and having the Treasury create it's own money.

The only question is will any cuts in future spending be agreed upon prior to raising it. The media will call each side evenly matched and evenly culpable, but if you think about it, as a "bargaining chip", that's a pretty weak position to be in if anyone calls that bluff. It's only too funny to think about either side "digging in their heels", because if they both agree not to budge, the president will win because the government will reopen and the debt ceiling will increase and no concessions will be made at all. Watch wall street destroy Boehner if he risks default. That's their money, not his and not ours. Since he made the decision to centralize the power of purse solely on his own whim, as opposed to the Congress as a whole... he'll play their game or they'll make such an example that none dare question their debt again. The last person with both the power and desire to threaten the Fed, et al was Kennedy.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-15-2013 03:25 AM
    I found that there are a lot of resources for homeless people if they want to get off the streets and work. There's rehab, mental health services, halfway houses, soup kitchens, clothing donations, and more. The sad truth is dependency is a learned helplessness and it's easier to stay down.

I would question that, apparently in my city there is a few homeless people who were multi millionaires but blew their assets over investing, a worker at my school would of been homeless if his parents didn't take him back - he lost everything due to an addition (he was an economist and betted on our economy crashing - which it didn't but he did win on the other nations). The problem is when you become homeless its hard to work back up - how many people would want to employ a homeless person if they walked into their office? I bet very few.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-15-2013 06:26 AM
    I must be misreading what you wrote, but I'm pretty sure you contradicted yourself in moving from the first part of your statement, about how the past was good, so we should decrease government spending, to the end, when you said that life is never safe and if you thought so you were "under the delusions of a happier youth".

Soooo how do you know you didn't just think things were better back then? Do you have data to show that people changed jobs less, or that marriages were any more stable than they are now?

I don't think the problem is as simple as decreasing debt by cutting government spending. What about the large corporations hat get away with paying next to nothing in taxes even though their profit margins are huge? Why can't we simply tax them more, and also use that money to enable decreased taxes for smaller companies, which could encourage growth and discourages monopolies?
    Devorce rates were lower - but that was the belief as women were more finniancially dependent on a man and could not leave.
    I agree - its nothing to with government spending at all, the reason jobs are less secure as companies are shifting to more a network approach, often a bit more flatter hierarchy and to have least 'core' (full time) workers and more networked (sub contractors / casuals etc) the reason this is a more favourable system to a company it allows them to be more dynamic and change with the market more. If the market moves from PC's to lets say tablets, they do both - they can downsize / scrap most of the PC department without the financial cost previously. It just allows them to shift and change to markets a lot quicker as the company grows they become more rigid and this ability to respond is significantly slowed down.
    10-15-2013 06:33 AM
    Is this the Tea Party you're talking about? The people running around who are still demanding Obama's birth certificate and claiming he's a Muslim?

Yesterday, angry Tea Party protesters carried barricades from the closed World War II Memorial and pile them outside the White House after a rally with Sarah Palin and Senator Ted Cruz whipped them into frenzy. I heard one on CNN telling the group that Obama needs to put his Koran down. Freedom Watch founder Larry Klayman declaring at the protest: "We are now ruled, by a president who bows down to Allah.

I've read a few Tea Party forum where half way through a discussion they start quoting the bible, instead of discussing the issue. It looks like a bunch of people talking in tongue. Things like we can't save Christianity if we can't save Israel, due to some scripture about pillars. It was bizarre.

I am sorry, but they don't represent main stream America, nor a conservative thought process.
    Stop listening to msnbc and reading random internet forums. Every group has their set of crazies. The movement as a whole is nothing more the cumulative frustration with the degrading of American society on many different fronts. They want to hold the government accountable and stop the uncontrolled spending and irresponsible policies. I don't know how anyone could be against what they want fundamentally. The physical means for accomplishing this will of course always be debated, but the goals involve making the government work for the people again and to hold the politicians accountable.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-15-2013 06:53 AM

Yet the tea party is the only group that 100% supports the constitution. They got out and showed support for the veterans. And they get attacked for that? Wow...

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-15-2013 07:26 AM
    Yet the tea party is the only group that 100% supports the constitution. They got out and showed support for the veterans. And they get attacked for that? Wow...

That and presumably the constitutionalist party and libertarians and just about everyone else that wants to end the marriage of corporate government and enhance boundaries intended by the Constitution, such as church and State, federal and local government and protect civil rights and liberties... All things that the Koch brothers have no interest in. The tea party is not represented in the Congress... their name is merely coopted.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    10-15-2013 07:38 AM

I'm sorry, but this statement made me LOL. So you're saying that is someone ISN'T Tea Party that they somehow support less than 100% of the Constitution?

They might have a different viewpoint on the meaning of the Constitution, or maybe their interpretation doesn't line up 100% with yours, but they (everyone) definitely support it.
    10-15-2013 08:25 AM
    I'm sorry, but this statement made me LOL. So you're saying that is someone ISN'T Tea Party that they somehow support less than 100% of the Constitution?

They might have a different viewpoint on the meaning of the Constitution, or maybe their interpretation doesn't line up 100% with yours, but they (everyone) definitely support it.
    This made me lol...the one in the Whitehouse? Lol

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-15-2013 08:35 AM
749 ... 910111213 ...