11-14-2013 07:34 PM
749 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    What part of "the majority doesn't want it" is so hard for people to understand? I do realize that it is a law, although passed in a very shady manner, but fact remains that is is wanted by the minority of the population, not the majority.
    And there in lies where you get these polls from. Having seen various polls in regards to Obamacare, the polls are very biased in their pollings. Conservative polling will show disapproval of it while liberal will show approval. I'm more partial towards University polling which shows a favor towards Obamacare. This is just one of the things we'll have to wait it out to see its true affects and approval. Seems systems like this seem to work out very well in other countries. Someone like me very much needs this system because in a couple years when I'm off my parents insurance, I'm screwed due to my pre-existing conditions (asthma and HIV.) And before some dimwit posts "oh you should have thought of that before you did drugs or had unprotected sex, " I was raped, and yes men do get raped.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-16-2013 03:10 PM
    You said:

"Yes a consequence of this is the owners of said companies will make a lot of money as well, but that is not at the expense of its workers. It is actually to their benefit. Then said owners with want to invest more in the company so that they can make even more money. Which will in turn make more money for the workers."

Does that last line not imply that the current workers will make more money? Or did you mean "which in turn will allow the company to hire more workers"? There is a difference in the wording, and it's important. The way you said it implies that a company that makes more money will increase wages, while the way I think you meant it (after reading it again, and then again) means they will just hire more people. How does hiring those other people help the workers that are currently making minimum wage?

And I totally get what you're saying about a minimum wage job being worth minimum wage pay, but that wasn't the crux of the discussion at all. The crux of the discussion is getting people out of poverty. How does a company hiring for more minimum wage positions help anyone get out of poverty? If your solution is "they need to increase their skill set" then how do you propose they do that? With money they don't have? Or a company like Wal-Mart (or many others, don't wanna sound like I'm singling them out) sending them to training?

We don't just need MORE jobs (though that's a start), we need higher paying jobs, and we need ways to get people the training needed for those jobs. But none of that will happen with the government shut down, because WE CAN'T GET PASSED THE SAME STUFF THAT HAPPENS EVERY 3 MONTHS. That, and rehashing legislation that's already been upheld.
    More jobs does not just mean more minimum wage jobs. I means more jobs of all pay grades. Someone has to manage workers. Someone has to build new facilies. Someone has to make and design equipment ect.

And what i implied in that statement(abet poorly) is that the company has more money to spend on its workers for training, advancement, possibly raises, ect. Implication was for them=to spend on them

If someone is working on a minimum wage job, they should work as hard as they can. Work for advancement. Save all they can for some type of education. If their company will not give them any room for advancement, they should do all they can to find a job with that company. They should make themselves valuable. Learn all the can about operations The are many ways to advance, but you have to work.

It is of course a hard road. A very hard one in fact. But it is a possible one. People do it all the time. It is called the american dream. You see people have to pull themselves out of poverty, but as long as the economy is good, it is very possible. And the better the economy is, the easier it is.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:10 PM
    That makes no sense.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    I don't want it, but I don't want to see it fail and make an even bigger mess of the economy. It probably is going to fail on it's own, anyway.

BTW, whatever happened to "you can keep your present insurance and doctors"or "premiums will decrease $2500/yr.". Obama flat out lied on that issue.
    Premiums are increasing basically everywhere.
    I saw today that about 9 million have visited the healthcare website, less than 1 million have been able to create an account, and only about 40,000 have signed up for coverage.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:15 PM
    That makes no sense.

I don't want it, but I don't want to see it fail and make an even bigger mess of the economy. It probably is going to fail on it's own, anyway.

BTW, whatever happened to "you can keep your present insurance and doctors"or "premiums will decrease $2500/yr.". Obama flat out lied on that issue.
    I saw today that about 9 million have visited the healthcare website, less than 1 million have been able to create an account, and only about 40,000 have signed up for coverage.

I'm more partial towards University polling which shows a favor towards Obamacare.
    Lol! 99% of universities are liberal.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:17 PM
    Historically, governments have always been around when there was a successful society, and I'm talking thousands of years of history here. What makes you so sure our current society could withstand losing its government?

I never said colleges were the only way people could get a high paying job. But that also wasn't my point. A more educated population can make more informed and better decisions when it comes to voting or policy making. This would then hopefully reflect back to help create a more successful economy. Just because it isn't necessary to be educated to work doesn't mean that is a waste of time for most people.

Seriously? A complete waste of time? Because no one who was, say, a Classics major has ever made a difference. Just because the field you are studying isn't directly applicable doesn't mean that it is a waste. Historians aren't a waste because they can teach us about the past, and help society from making mistakes it's made before. Dance majors help develop human expression and art. Please, give me an example of a major that is useless.
    The must be a government because there must be human interaction. But the economy does not depend on the government to function, but the government does depend on the economy. The government can of course effect the economy, but only indirectly. The economy reacts to government intervention. It does not depend on it or act from it.

An educated population increases all of this. I never refuted any of that.

I never implied anything you just said. If someone wants to spend money on a degree in underwater basket weaving. They are free to and use it however they wish. But they should know that they there are no jobs for that degree and that they are wasting their time if they want that as a career. Same for anything else. If they cannot support themselves with whatever degree, then they should know that they are just spending money on a hobby. Not an investment.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:23 PM

Lol! 99% of universities are liberal.
    Oh those for profit colleges and colleges in the south are so liberal.

10-16-2013 03:24 PM
    And there in lies where you get these polls from. Having seen various polls in regards to Obamacare, the polls are very biased in their pollings. Conservative polling will show disapproval of it while liberal will show approval. I'm more partial towards University polling which shows a favor towards Obamacare. This is just one of the things we'll have to wait it out to see its true affects and approval. Seems systems like this seem to work out very well in other countries. Someone like me very much needs this system because in a couple years when I'm off my parents insurance, I'm screwed due to my pre-existing conditions (asthma and HIV.) And before some dimwit posts "oh you should have thought of that before you did drugs or had unprotected sex, " I was raped, and yes men do get raped.

A funny sort of related not:

A buddy of mine was recently in a senior level accounting class during the last election. They held a mock vote for 19 students in that class.
    Results: 18 for romney
    0 for obama
    1 for "other"
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:27 PM
    More jobs does not just mean more minimum wage jobs. I means more jobs of all pay grades. Someone has to manage workers. Someone has to build new facilies. Someone has to make and design equipment ect.

And what i implied in that statement(abet poorly) is that the company has more money to spend on its workers for training, advancement, possibly raises, ect. Implication was for them=to spend on them

If someone is working on a minimum wage job, they should work as hard as they can. Work for advancement. Save all they can for some type of education. If their company will not give them any room for advancement, they should do all they can to find a job with that company. They should make themselves valuable. Learn all the can about operations The are many ways to advance, but you have to work.

It is of course a hard road. A very hard one in fact. But it is a possible one. People do it all the time. It is called the american dream. You see people have to pull themselves out of poverty, but as long as the economy is good, it is very possible. And the better the economy is, the easier it is.
    "Just work harder" isn't a solution. I said that before in this thread. It's just not the answer. Pretty sure we had a page or two discussing this with some other members as well.

"Oh you got laid off because of cut backs? That's ok, just work harder and you'll be fine."

"Oh, your company closed it's doors? That's ok, just work harder and you'll be fine."

Just work harder does NOT work for those that are already unemployed and can't find a job. Did you hear that unemployment was kinda high right now? Where will they go for the training to increase their skill set to get a better job, or heck, a job at all?

Fairclough likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:28 PM
    Oh those for profit colleges and colleges in the south are so liberal.

My public college in the south was predominately liberal. The staff was vastly liberal. The student population from my point of view was mixed with slightly more liberal.

In case anyone that does not know, the liberal own the education system in this country.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:31 PM
    A funny sort of related not:

A buddy of mine was recently in a senior level accounting class during the last election. They held a mock vote for 19 students in that class.
    Results: 18 for romney
    0 for obama
    1 for "other"

I just held a "straw pole" at my job:

2 for Obama

That's it. There are only two of us. Or am I just making this up? I guess you'll never know. :P
    10-16-2013 03:32 PM
    I just held a "straw pole" at my job:

2 for Obama

That's it. There are only two of us. Or am I just making this up? I guess you'll never know. :P
    This is the Internet, it is a given that nothing anyone says will ever be proven. Come on. Your a mod. You should know this by now.
    10-16-2013 03:39 PM
    "Just work harder" isn't a solution. I said that before in this thread. It's just not the answer. Pretty sure we had a page or two discussing this with some other members as well.

"Oh you got laid off because of cut backs? That's ok, just work harder and you'll be fine."

"Oh, your company closed it's doors? That's ok, just work harder and you'll be fine."

Just work harder does NOT work for those that are already unemployed and can't find a job. Did you hear that unemployment was kinda high right now? Where will they go for the training to increase their skill set to get a better job, or heck, a job at all?

I said if economy is good. The conversation was about general poverty under normal circumstances. Not bad circumstances under which things are bad
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:41 PM
    It looks to BE OVER now
    10-16-2013 03:41 PM
    This is the Internet, it is a given that nothing anyone says will ever be proven. Come on. Your a mod. You should know this by now.
    I do, and was just trying to provide a little light humor.

I said if economy is good. The conversation was about general poverty under normal circumstances. Not bad circumstances under which things are bad
    Understood, but right now things are bad.
    10-16-2013 03:43 PM

That was an incredibly brave thing to admit to a group of strangers. I hope you remain well. Those of us with pre existing conditions (MS, spinal tumors, cataracts and macular degeneration for me ) are on the front lines of this drama. Healthy, wealthy people will never know the fear of not being able to go to the doctor just to get the treatment you need to live a normal life.

10-16-2013 03:43 PM

University polling is very biased.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-16-2013 03:49 PM
    University polling is very biased.

Polling in general is biased, which is why it should never be used as a means to govern.
    10-16-2013 03:54 PM
    It looks to BE OVER now
    Yeah, and it won't be long before the left will be screaming about income verification for Obamacare subsidies. Cue Al Sharpton in 3,2,1...........
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 03:55 PM
    Yeah, and it won't be long before the left will be screaming about income verification for Obamacare subsidies. Cue Al Sharpton in 3,2,1...........
    I'm ok with making sure people that are taking advantage of the programs are actually eligible. Part of the problem with the programs is the abuse of them by those that aren't really eligible. That's part of what needs to be fixed.
    cdmjlt369 and plumbrich like this.
    10-16-2013 04:01 PM
    I'm ok with making sure people that are taking advantage of the programs are actually eligible. Part of the problem with the programs is the abuse of them by those that aren't really eligible. That's part of what needs to be fixed.
    Yep, and I also feel that way about voters. I don't understand why people resist voter ID so vehemently. Liberals say that it is a burden on the poor, and that confuses me. Doesn't the poor have to have an ID to participate in any government programs? Plus, most states will furnish a free ID to anyone that doesn't have one. So, how is it a burden?
    mrsmumbles and plumbrich like this.
    10-16-2013 04:15 PM
    It's a burden if you don't have a driver's license and aren't on public assistance. Why do you assume everyone who doesn't have an 'acceptable' ID is on some form of public assistance? Some states won't recognize School ID. Some won't accept anything but two forms of picture ID. It's a concerted effort to decrease the Democratic voting bloc. The head of the PA Republican party was caught on tape saying this very thing. So, yes, it's a problem for democratic voters. I was asked for ID last time I voted even though it wasn't legal to do so. Just because, I was told. Right.

And, ironically, it was never a problem before this President took office. Never.

10-16-2013 04:26 PM
    Yep, and I also feel that way about voters. I don't understand why people resist voter ID so vehemently. Liberals say that it is a burden on the poor, and that confuses me. Doesn't the poor have to have an ID to participate in any government programs? Plus, most states will furnish a free ID to anyone that doesn't have one. So, how is it a burden?
    For those that don't have an actual home address to receive mail and have proof of residency then yes, it can actually be difficult to get one. Not sure how many that affects, though. I'm sure there are other things, but I've never really looked into it.

As an aside, THIS made me chuckle. For many reasons, so don't take me laughing the wrong way.
    10-16-2013 04:31 PM
    Seriously? Didn't we just have a long discussion about how oftentimes this isn't possible?

Oh, I get it, you think people should switch to the jobs that are available in the small businesses that were all just put out of business by the Walmart they work at. I finally understand.
    We explained everything yesterday. If you remain unwilling to understand, it's not our fault.

The more money companies make, the more jobs available because they expand and need workers and they want to get and keep good workers so there is a situation where people have lots of good job choices and opportunities.

The reason businesses don't expand and none of the above happens is when you start restricting growth by raising taxes and increasing regulations.

If you can't understand this it is not our fault. Maybe at some time in the future you will. It took me a while to learn these things too.

Sent from my C5170 via Tapatalk 2
    10-16-2013 04:45 PM
    Here's the problem I have with the ACA. The people were sold something "as is no warranty. " They aren't even willing to test drive it themselves. They signed a contract and didn't know the price, workings, conditions, terms or liabilities of this plan. I'm already seeing the effects as one of my close friends who owns a small business has had to terminate 10 positions/1 crew because he can't afford to keep them due to the ACA. Effects are already being felt and it's just the beginning. I will never understand why people don't question the fact that the people who passed this bill want no part of it.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 04:47 PM
    It's a burden if you don't have a driver's license and aren't on public assistance. Why do you assume everyone who doesn't have an 'acceptable' ID is on some form of public assistance? Some states won't recognize School ID. Some won't accept anything but two forms of picture ID. It's a concerted effort to decrease the Democratic voting bloc. The head of the PA Republican party was caught on tape saying this very thing. So, yes, it's a problem for democratic voters. I was asked for ID last time I voted even though it wasn't legal to do so. Just because, I was told. Right.

And, ironically, it was never a problem before this President took office. Never.

"Why do you assume everyone who doesn't have an 'acceptable' ID is on some form of public assistance?"-- Where did I say that?

" It's a concerted effort to decrease the Democratic voting bloc"--- Why is that? Are Democrats above getting a government-issued ID?

Do you not want to try to eliminate fraud in the voting system? If you don't, then you are part of the problem.

"It's a burden if you don't have a driver's license and aren't on public assistance."--- Not when most states will issue an ID free of charge.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-16-2013 04:50 PM
749 ... 1516171819 ...