11-14-2013 07:34 PM
749 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    Is this the right forum for political discussion?

sent from my Galaxy Note 3
    10-18-2013 03:22 PM
    There's also stuff like THIS GOING ON. Bad information, or worse, assuming someone else is correct versus checking yourself, is just plain bad for the average person. I hate seeing stuff like this, and yes, it happens in every direction.

palandri likes this.
    10-18-2013 03:59 PM
    There's also stuff like THIS GOING ON. Bad information, or worse, assuming someone else is correct versus checking yourself, is just plain bad for the average person. I hate seeing stuff like this, and yes, it happens in every direction.

That article sums up perfectly what's wrong with America. Wow.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    10-18-2013 04:29 PM

Then why'd you only provide a link that supported YOUR side of the fence? If you're going to call people out on only asking for proof/stats/facts when they disagree with someone and you perceive others to pick and choose laws, amendments and feelings about slavery, etc etc, then why would you act similarly?

Signatures, shmignatures...
    10-18-2013 04:29 PM

Sad but true, it does go on in every different direction from all sides. S has been stated in this thread before , people just don't do research anymore. Truth be told how do we know that article was legit? My comments, on the majority, have come based on things I'm dealing with or that a very close friends experiences. There definitely is a lot of garbage out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-18-2013 04:30 PM
    Then why'd you only provide a link that supported YOUR side of the fence? If you're going to call people out on only asking for proof/stats/facts when they disagree with someone and you perceive others to pick and choose laws, amendments and feelings about slavery, etc etc, then why would you act similarly?

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    Why do I need to provide links for the "other side" when plenty of those have been provided previously in the thread?

Speaking more specifically about what I linked, Fox News has by far the largest number of viewers of any of the cable news networks. That means more people get their news from them than CNN, MSNBC, etc (almost COMBINED from the ratings I saw). So them putting out false stories like this does a disservice to the viewers of that network, and because of the SCALE of the viewership they have it's compounded. So yes, the misinformation being put out is worse the more people it reaches. Fox News is not the only network that does it, but because they reach more people they are the worst. If the ratings change, so will my opinion on them being the worst.

BTW, I provided plenty of the links to support the fact that the ACA (which is the reason the government was shutdown) was a legit law and was upheld as constitutional by SCOTUS, but that didn't seem to stop anyone from saying it wasn't constitutional....
    msndrstood and palandri like this.
    10-18-2013 04:38 PM
    Why do I need to provide links for the "other side" when plenty of those have been provided previously in the thread?
    They were before our posts too.

10-18-2013 04:42 PM
    Good news is, I'll get paid soon. Bad news is, we'll probably do this again in January. Hehe.

Posted with my S4 via Android Central App
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-18-2013 04:44 PM

...and the sad part is people who watch Fox News have no idea those stories were bogus. Just like the death panels, blue end of life pills and pulling the plug on Granny because it would cost too much to save her. Any news agency that knowingly puts out bogus information should be prosecuted for defamation.
    10-18-2013 05:41 PM
    ...and the sad part is people who watch Fox News have no idea those stories were bogus. Just like the death panels, blue end of life pills and pulling the plug on Granny because it would cost too much to save her. Any news agency that knowingly puts out bogus information should be prosecuted for defamation.
    Any NEWS agency that reports anything but the NEWS should not be called a news agency/outlet. That goes for any channel/website that spews ANY opinion.

10-18-2013 05:47 PM
    And you have proof of this? Just saying something is bogus doesn't make it bogus. In due time, we will all know who's blowing smoke and who's not.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-18-2013 05:49 PM
    Some of you may find this funny and some of you may not. Just figured I would post it . Actually think it's a pretty good illustration of why this country is how it is

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-18-2013 05:56 PM
    And you have proof of this? Just saying something is bogus doesn't make it bogus. In due time, we will all know who's blowing smoke and who's not.

If Salon is blowing smoke, they should be prosecuted for defamation.

I also remember you saying:
    Its different in every state. Mine was high as well. My insurance premium increases 90%. My deductible would be $6, 000. Then they pay only 60%. Not very affordable.
    Only to discover you were comparing a non-subsidized ACA rate to your employer subsidized rate:
    I did not purchase ACA insurance, I never will. I went to the webwite just to see whats what. I currently have blue cross blue shield through my employer. I pay $180 per month for me and my 3 kids. $25 copay and prescription plan. $2, 000 deductible.
    It's all here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...th-care-3.html
    10-18-2013 06:15 PM
    If Salon is blowing smoke, they should be prosecuted for defamation.

I also remember you saying:

Only to discover you were comparing a non-subsidized ACA rate to your employer subsidized rate:

It's all here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/pol...th-care-3.html
    I know what rate I was quoted. I know what personal experiences and some of my close friends are already going through in relation to this bill. All you have is so-and-so says, and I heard. But hey, you want it, you got it. As I said earlier , I guess people are going to have to find out the hard way.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-18-2013 06:24 PM
    I know what rate I was quoted. I know what personal experiences ah and some of my close friends are already going through in relation to this bill. All you have is so-and-so says, and I heard. But hey, you want it, you got it. As I said earlier , I guess people are going to have to find out the hard way

There's also no saying that your experience is typical. You could be the exception rather than the rule.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    10-18-2013 06:31 PM
    There's also no saying that your experience is typical. You could be the exception rather than the rule.

Ok...as is , no warranty.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-18-2013 06:37 PM
    I know what rate I was quoted. I know what personal experiences and some of my close friends are already going through in relation to this bill. All you have is so-and-so says, and I heard. But hey, you want it, you got it. As I said earlier , I guess people are going to have to find out the hard way.

My point was your first statement was misleading, because you didn't tell us you were comparing a non-subsidized ACA rate to your employer subsidized rate: "...My insurance premium increases 90%. My deductible would be $6, 000. Then they pay only 60%. Not very affordable. "
    10-18-2013 06:45 PM

Or it can be typical and the rule rather than the exception.

*** Playing the advocate to the Devil's advocate.

Just as plausible, isn't it?

If not, then why not?

cdmjlt369 and mrsmumbles like this.
    10-18-2013 07:41 PM
    Or it can be typical and the rule rather than the exception.

*** Playing the advocate to the Devil's advocate.

Just as plausible, isn't it?

If not, then why not?

That's was the implied meaning of what was said that I replied to.

People always tend to think that whatever they experience is "typical". I was pointing out that it might not be.

10-18-2013 08:33 PM
    If the mandate was unconstitutional it would have been ruled as such, but wasn't. So that argument is null and void. Unless you're saying you're better at interpreting laws and the Constitution than SCOTUS.

I posted an article or two about this some pages back. You either missed it or ignored it, and are now trying to go back to that argument.
    Its a good thing the supreme court is right. Just like they were right with the decision they made in the Dred Scott case?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-19-2013 06:33 AM
    Sorry, I'm laughing. I can't help it. They HAVE hit on ones that I care about. That doesn't mean that I want to demolish the government over it.

Resorting to insults and condescension is a great way to get taken seriously around here.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-19-2013 06:38 AM
    Its a good thing the supreme court is right. Just like they were right with the decision they made in the Dred Scott case?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    No body of government is perfect. Yes, they can be wrong, but the buck does stop with them, and you can't just say "they're wrong" when they make a decision you don't like.

With the amount of attention their decisions get today I'm sure if it wasn't a sound decision we'd have a general consensus. Even legal analysts on the right said that it was a legally sound decision that they just didn't agree with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Point taken. Apologies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-19-2013 07:52 AM
    No body of government is perfect. Yes, they can be wrong, but the buck does stop with them, and you can't just say "they're wrong" when they make a decision you don't like.

With the amount of attention their decisions get today I'm sure if it wasn't a sound decision we'd have a general consensus. Even legal analysts on the right said that it was a legally sound decision that they just didn't agree with.

Point taken. Apologies

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    The ACA was upheld as not being unconstitutional. The individual mandate is where the problem is. Justice roberts said the mandate was constitutional only if enforced as a tax. Therefore, by law the bill was unconstitutional because a tax bill is to originate in the house. This bill did not.

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-19-2013 08:04 AM
    The ACA was upheld as not being unconstitutional. The individual mandate is where the problem is. Justice roberts said the mandate was constitutional only if enforced as a tax. Therefore, by law the bill was unconstitutional because a tax bill is to originate in the house. This bill did not.

So you somehow think SCOTUS missed that? Or that we'll see another challenge?

I believe he chose his words very carefully too. I'd have to go back and read it again, but wasn't it something like "although it's not written in as a tax, it's function is that of a tax" and that they considered the function of the law versus the wording of the law.

SCOTUS is also careful to only consider the constitutionality of cases when they see them, as they don't want to "legislate from the bench". They want Congress to fix laws.

10-19-2013 08:16 AM
    So you somehow think SCOTUS missed that? Or that we'll see another challenge?

I believe he chose his words very carefully too. I'd have to go back and read it again, but wasn't it something like "although it's not written in as a tax, it's function is that of a tax" and that they considered the function of the law versus the wording of the law.

SCOTUS is also careful to only consider the constitutionality of cases when they see them, as they don't want to "legislate from the bench". They want Congress to fix laws.

It is either a tax or it isn't

mrsmumbles likes this.
    10-19-2013 08:32 AM
749 ... 1920212223 ...