11-14-2013 07:34 PM
749 12345 ...
tools
    Taking money away from gov employees would make families like yours struggle with their mortgage is that really fair?

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    But it is fair. If they are not working, why should they get paid? How many other jobs do you know where someone does not work, yet still gets paid for it? Also, "families like [mine]" know how to manage their money, and would not spend their money on non-essentials if we knew of a possibility that my wife or I might be without a paycheck soon. Hell, if it is a case of government employees just getting their back pay when the government does open up again, I should go back to working for the government. I can use a vacation right now!
    10-06-2013 09:53 AM
    Why should they be penalized? It's not their fault. And what about those who had to work but didn't get paid? A lot of people have lost a lot of time during this sequester, maybe they were getting caught up and now this. Not everyone has 6 months of paychecks stashed away. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who had that kind of money since the recession.

Your lack of sympathy and concern for others is stunning to me. You must live a perfect life where nothing ever goes wrong.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Fairclough and rexxman like this.
    10-06-2013 11:32 AM
    Why should they be penalized? It's not their fault. And what about those who had to work but didn't get paid? A lot of people have lost a lot of time during this sequester, maybe they were getting caught up and now this. Not everyone has 6 months of paychecks stashed away. As a matter of fact, I don't know anyone who had that kind of money since the recession.

Your lack of sympathy and concern for others is stunning to me. You must live a perfect life where nothing ever goes wrong.

Penalized? How is not paying someone for the time period that they are NOT WORKING penalizing them? Actually it would be penalizing me, a taxpayer. Those who are working should get paid, yes. There is a difference between the two. One is working, one is not. I fail to see why they should be paid for not working as that would defeat the purpose of the shutdown. My lack of sympathy? What is there to be sympathetic over? What non government jobs are there where a person can not work and still get paid? My life is not completely perfect, but I am happy with what I have, and where I am in my life. Unlike others, I live within my means.
    10-06-2013 04:31 PM
    Sigh. I see exactly where you are coming from, unfortunately. Good luck.

10-06-2013 04:37 PM
    Couple of things:
    1) whatever the number 2.8 or 8 million hits means nothing. The real number is how many signed on. Perfect analogy is units shipped versus sold.
    2) we take in money every month in taxes which is more than enough money to fulfill our obligations to i.e interest on debt, SS payments etc.

All the debt ceiling is doing is preventing us from borrowing more. We maxed our credit cards and want more money.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-06-2013 04:58 PM
    We the people voted and re-elected the President. He ran on the ACA and won twice. The Republicans need to get over it and move on. 8.3 million people signed onto the healthcare.gov site on Day 1. That should tell you the need is out there.

Sent via Note II
    Yep, and we the people elected congress and the senate. Obama is not the prime ruler.
    10-07-2013 01:11 AM
    And a million more Democrats voted in the House elections, but because of gerrymandering, the Republicans win anyway.

http://mobile.bloomberg.com/news/201...use-votes.html

10-07-2013 01:19 AM
    1 trillion a year on welfare.

Why is everyone up in arms at the small amount of government employees not getting paid (tax money) and hasn't given a damn about all of the citizens that are out of work?(non-subsidy)
    10-07-2013 01:19 AM
    And a million more Democrats voted in the House elections, but because of gerrymandering, the Republicans win anyway.

Republicans Can

Umm. yeah, its good that it works out to where the most heavily populated places don't get all of the say with what happens. people in New York shouldn't be able to vote for representatives from Oklahoma. And get off of the political racism. That is one of the biggest reasons we are in the shape we are in is because of political parties.
    10-07-2013 01:24 AM
    I just stated the facts. That's hardly political racism.

10-07-2013 08:14 AM
    Sigh. I see exactly where you are coming from, unfortunately. Good luck.

Do tell..."exactly where [I] am coming from." I would love to know what you mean by that, as you know nothing about me.

- - - Updated - - -

Umm. yeah, its good that it works out to where the most heavily populated places don't get all of the say with what happens. people in New York shouldn't be able to vote for representatives from Oklahoma. And get off of the political racism. That is one of the biggest reasons we are in the shape we are in is because of political parties.
    Precisely. Anyone who disagrees with obama or the democrat party is automatically a racist according to some people here.
    10-07-2013 09:45 AM
    Do tell..."exactly where [I] am coming from." I would love to know what you mean by that, as you know nothing about me.

- - - Updated - - -

Precisely. Anyone who disagrees with obama or the democrat party is automatically a racist according to some people here.
    We don't agree and there is no further point to this discussion. I won't debate when there is no chance of compromise.

I'd rather be playing with my Note 3.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free
    10-07-2013 10:01 AM
    TT double post
    10-07-2013 10:01 AM
    We don't agree and there is no further point to this discussion.
    Deb, if everyone always agreed with each other's opinions, then we wouldn't be human. Having a discussion only with people that agree provides no challenge or motivation to think deeper.

Don't take that the wrong way... I would hate for you to glare at me through the "internet".

10-07-2013 11:33 AM
    I try to never back away from a discussion that will be productive. But when it's the same thing over and over again with a confrontational tone, that's where I draw the line.

See, here's the thing. I understand where some of the folks on the right are coming from. I understand the concerns about the debt, the deficit etc. But when there is no room for my side of things, what's the point of arguing rather than discussing? I have had a reasonable discussion with several people we have in common, but others on here, I can feel the edge in their comments. Maybe because I'm the only female that dares to breach the walls of the politics forum, I don't know. But I've got too much going on to deal with hostility. If someone wants to have a conversation about the issues, without accusing me of political racism (that's a first for me btw) then let's do it. But to deny that the Right has problems too it's a non starter for me.

Danny, you and I can have a conversation, I believe, without it getting personal. I'm not so sure about some of the others in the forum though.

You understand I have good days and bad days when it comes to my participation. Today hasn't been a great day, the thought processes just aren't snappy today as other days. On a good day, now that's another story, bring it on. :-P

I didn't choose the moniker of msndrstood for nothing. ;-)

Fairclough likes this.
    10-07-2013 11:46 AM
    I would actually completely see his point if it were not for the fact that the ACA was 100% partisan and that all the polls taken when the act was passed indicated that the majority of Americans did not want it.

I'm to the point now that I don't care if it passes completely. Let the ppl see how much it is going to destroy the system. Maybe then we can actually completely get rid of it and start over.

Here's what's gonna happen, much like our IRS tax code which no one understands to save their life, they won't fix it. They'll pass band-aid law after baid-aid law, making it so complicated businesses will have to hire someone just to make sure they are ACA compliant.

If I'm Speaker I pass a CR right now funding the government and the ACA from this moment in it's entirety and giving no exemptions (congress included). The left wants it, let them have it. When the system buckles and caves then they can take full credit for it.
    10-07-2013 12:17 PM
    I try to never back away from a discussion that will be productive. But when it's the same thing over and over again with a confrontational tone, that's where I draw the line.
    Unfortunately for all of us Americans, Politics IS confrontational.

DIVIDED WE FALL

And that's the path our country is on.

Without a doubt.

10-07-2013 01:17 PM
    Unfortunately for all of us Americans, Politics IS confrontational.

DIVIDED WE FALL

And that's the path our country is on.

Without a doubt.

Sadly, I believe that's true. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. I think the partisan animosity has always been there but it was exacerbated with the election of this President.

During Bush's terms, I was on MySpace and I wrote ranting blogs about the distraction of the Iraq war vs the real enemy, and the capture of bin Laden. I didn't like Bush, but he was the president and I respected the office if not the policies. Now Cheney, that's a different story. He is an evil, conniving political hack, who thinks he is above everyone. Ask Scooter Libby how he feels about his 'friend'.

Maybe later, I'll get into how this faction in the House is giddy with their shut down and drunk with their newfound 'power'. Right now, I need a break.

Btw, when I got the Note 3 on Friday, I didn't load AC or TT on it. I seriously debated whether to add it or not. I really wish they would get on the ball with the Apps and allow deletion of participated threads, it was a peaceful and non stressful 48 hours. But I missed the tech talk. So here I am again. It's like a train wreck, I just can't help but stop and leer.

10-07-2013 01:43 PM
    Sadly, I believe that's true. And it's going to get worse before it gets better. I think the partisan animosity has always been there but it was exacerbated with the election of this President.

During Bush's terms, I was on MySpace and I wrote ranting blogs about the distraction of the Iraq war vs the real enemy, and the capture of bin Laden. I didn't like Bush, but he was the president and I respected the office if not the policies. Now Cheney, that's a different story. He is an evil, conniving political hack, who thinks he is above everyone. Ask Scooter Libby how he feels about his 'friend'.

Maybe later, I'll get into how this faction in the House is giddy with their shut down and drunk with their newfound 'power'. Right now, I need a break.

Btw, when I got the Note 3 on Friday, I didn't load AC or TT on it. I seriously debated whether to add it or not. I really wish they would get on the ball with the Apps and allow deletion of participated threads, it was a peaceful and non stressful 48 hours. But I missed the tech talk. So here I am again. It's like a train wreck, I just can't help but stop and leer.

lol, it wouldn't be the same here without you.

10-07-2013 02:20 PM
    There is a lack of respect for the office of the president from members of Congress on both sides. Pelosi and Reid would repeatedly disrespect Bush.
    10-07-2013 02:43 PM
    lol, it wouldn't be the same here without you.

Someone has to represent the XX faction, lol. :o

10-07-2013 02:46 PM
    We don't agree and there is no further point to this discussion. I won't debate when there is no chance of compromise.

I'd rather be playing with my Note 3.

I thought you were just running your mouth when you posted that, and now I know that was the case. You can slander me, yet offer no proof. I was wrong in another topic, you are the joke here!
    10-07-2013 04:41 PM
    There is a lack of respect for the office of the president from members of Congress on both sides. Pelosi and Reid would repeatedly disrespect Bush.
    But SteveISU, that is perfectly acceptable as Bush is a Republican. Yet when Republicans disagree with obama, they are racist and not doing their job.

For the record, I hope you knew that I was being sarcastic in that first sentence.
    10-07-2013 04:42 PM
    I thought you were just running your mouth when you posted that, and now I know that was the case. You can slander me, yet offer no proof. I was wrong in another topic, you are the joke here!
    Oh brother. Get a life.

Wiley_11 and Fairclough like this.
    10-07-2013 04:45 PM
    But SteveISU, that is perfectly acceptable as Bush is a Republican. Yet when Republicans disagree with obama, they are racist and not doing their job.

For the record, I hope you knew that I was being sarcastic in that first sentence.
    Unfortunately you are correct, sarcasm or not. The minute someone goes after Obama or a policy Wolf Blitzer or someone alike is pulling the race card.
    10-07-2013 04:55 PM
749 12345 ...