11-14-2013 07:34 PM
749 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Yep, and we the people elected congress and the senate. Obama is not the prime ruler.
    Congress = House of Representatives and Senate. I don't understand your Obama comment. Who said he was "prime ruler"?

To make law, you need majority vote in House and Senate and then Presidential approval (signature). If President vetoes, then House/Senate can override with a super majority (2/3rds?) vote.

Voters gave House to Pubs and Senate/President to Dems.

Since House cannot force the law they want, they have taken America hostage as they attempt to extort their position.

Sad day for ALL Americans.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-07-2013 06:37 PM
    2nd Statement: Please refrain from personal attacks and insults. Keep discussions civil and on topic. If you have an issue with a post, either ignore it and move on or, if you feel it violates the forum rules, hit the report button.
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-07-2013 06:38 PM
    Any history, political, civics junkies out there know whether or not shutting down the government or not funding legislation is a new kind of precedent exercised by Congress that has never happened before? I know it happened for 17 days in 1995 (just heard that on the radio) but I can't remember what that was about. Is this time any different? Is this basically the second time in US history that the government has been shut down? I'm wondering if we are seeing a new kind of power being exercised by Congress that we've never seen before, or only once before in 1995. The system of "checks and balances" works pretty good so far as I'm concerned, but are we seeing the birth of a new "check" within the system of "checks and balances" for the first time? (Or second if 1995 was the first).
    Started in 1976, but shutdowns back then we're very different. Since then we've had something called 'washington monument syndrome' where monuments are closed first to get the biggest public outcry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    jdbii likes this.
    10-07-2013 07:16 PM
    Congress = House of Representatives and Senate. I don't understand your Obama comment. Who said he was "prime ruler"?

To make law, you need majority vote in House and Senate and then Presidential approval (signature). If President vetoes, then House/Senate can override with a super majority (2/3rds?) vote.

Since House cannot force the law they want, they have taken America hostage as they attempt to extort their position.

The government was set up the way it was expressly for this purpose. People might not like it, but it is what it is.

10-07-2013 07:17 PM

Because she said people reelected Obama. I agree, but i simply stated people voted for their representatives. He, nor Harry Reid won't comprimise either. Congress have been trying to pass small CR's so people get paid. Harry Reid wont budge. Call it for what it is.

They are trying to pass the small bills because they are easier to pass and not some 5000 page pile of crap no one wants and only a few have read. That is the main reason why we are shut down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    10-07-2013 07:52 PM
    Because she said people reelected Obama. I agree, but i simply stated people voted for their representatives. He, nor Harry Reid won't comprimise either. Congress have been trying to pass small CR's so people get paid. Harry Reid wont budge. Call it for what it is.

They are trying to pass the small bills because they are easier to pass and not some 5000 page pile of crap no one wants and only a few have read. That is the main reason why we are shut down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I have called it what it is, extortion. The extortion is "we will cause economic harm (and they already have) to the citizens of the United States unless you concede to our demand." There is no compromise with extortion. And it is the only reason we are shutdown.

You have your opinion about the ACA (5000 page pile of crap), but, you KNOW it to be false that no one wants it.

And you did not simply state that people voted for their representatives.

H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-07-2013 09:07 PM
    Yep, and we the people elected congress and the senate. Obama is not the prime ruler.
    I didn't? Hmmm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    10-07-2013 09:16 PM
    I didn't? Hmmm

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Correct! If it was simple, as you have stated, it would have been a statement expressing one idea. But it was two sentences with two ideas.

Additionally, the first sentence confused the House of Representatives with Congress.

We do share one thing. We are both victims of the extortion.

10-07-2013 11:08 PM
    The government was set up the way it was expressly for this purpose. People might not like it, but it is what it is.

I would like to understand your post. Are you saying that this extortion is the intent of our constitutional law?

10-07-2013 11:17 PM
    And then the next crisis comes and we'll claim the house is using the US credit in the balance to extort the White House. When exactly do we say x trillion is enough? 19? 25?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    10-07-2013 11:53 PM
    There are very few things which make me return on the laptop for and this is one of them, it is quiet concerning the lack of care there is for the approximately 2 million government employee's I believe are out of work. The debate I am seeing is that it is my tax payers money, it is in the best interest they are not paid. That is actually false, every time a dollar is paid its expended to have multiplier effect and to be than spent another 10 times. When the employees are paid the economy continues in its natural state, when they aren't it is slowly retracted. Meaning less tax's are paid from revenue from that multiplier effect, less income from work for the whole population etc. I was also reading today that the shut down is forcing some interns to become homeless. Is this what you really want?

It was said before that they should of foreseen this. I don't know many people who when they have a week or so notice that they will be out of the job can than save enough to pay their rent/food etc for they awhile out of it. I presume rent/food covers most their pay check, how can they than afford in a week to save enough for the next? You would find that most employees when they wrongfully put you out of work are held accountable for the loss the employee suffers, so it would only be fair for the employee to be compensated. An interesting thing is, many government employee's are currently working (and without pay!) as they are apart of the intelligence agencies. Now is that fair?

It is in the economic interests of everyone for the employees to be paid and from a legal sense it would be a savings to the government to pay them to limit damage from potential liabilities.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-08-2013 07:42 AM
    There are very few things which make me return on the laptop for and this is one of them, it is quiet concerning the lack of care there is for the approximately 2 million government employee's I believe are out of work. The debate I am seeing is that it is my tax payers money, it is in the best interest they are not paid. That is actually false, every time a dollar is paid its expended to have multiplier effect and to be than spent another 10 times. When the employees are paid the economy continues in its natural state, when they aren't it is slowly retracted. Meaning less tax's are paid from revenue from that multiplier effect, less income from work for the whole population etc. I was also reading today that the shut down is forcing some interns to become homeless. Is this what you really want?

It was said before that they should of foreseen this. I don't know many people who when they have a week or so notice that they will be out of the job can than save enough to pay their rent/food etc for they awhile out of it. I presume rent/food covers most their pay check, how can they than afford in a week to save enough for the next? You would find that most employees when they wrongfully put you out of work are held accountable for the loss the employee suffers, so it would only be fair for the employee to be compensated. An interesting thing is, many government employee's are currently working (and without pay!) as they are apart of the intelligence agencies. Now is that fair?

It is in the economic interests of everyone for the employees to be paid and from a legal sense it would be a savings to the government to pay them to limit damage from potential liabilities.
    Any company that shuts down, for whatever period of time, puts their employees out of work. This is the exact same thing. If my employer has to shut down because of a lack of supplied parts, i am sent home without pay until the issue is resolved. I know this because it happened 2 years ago for over 100 days. I didnt see anyone outside the situation crying about it.

I feel for the workers, i really do, but when you choose to work for a bad company, you get what you get. Its not like our country's efficiency and volatility short comings are a secret. If the workers did not know this could happen, they are living under a rock.

Plus we all know that they will be paid in the end. Probably damages too. All covered by the gracious tax payer.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-08-2013 08:59 AM
    The worst part is, the world is laughing at us. Again.

Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-08-2013 03:28 PM
    One of the saddest and most despicable things so far is that the Commander-in-Chief won't even enact legislation to pay the death benefits to our fallen soldiers' families. Some of these families can't even afford to make the trip to Dover to pick up the bodies without those benefits. He can make it possible with the stroke of a pen, but it doesn't fit into his "no negotiating" stance. Some things can be overlooked, but anyone that takes up for the President on this is so biased that it isn't funny.

And blocking a 24/7 open-air WWII memorial, and blocking the view at Mt. Rushmore? C'mon! Whoever did that needs to be fired.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    10-08-2013 08:52 PM
    The worst part is, the world is laughing at us. Again.

•• Sent via a pay phone at the gas station.
    Let them laugh. Especially until they need money or someone tries to invade them.
    10-08-2013 09:01 PM
    You have your opinion about the ACA (5000 page pile of crap), but, you KNOW it to be false that no one wants it.
    The majority do not want it.
    10-08-2013 09:14 PM
    The majority do not want it.
    I have yet to see a poll to suggest that, but believe what you want.

I poss this question: How many that claim to want it, know anything about it?
    10-09-2013 05:55 AM
    Let them laugh. Especially until they need money or someone tries to invade them.
    Mmmm I find that statement naive, as our current government with an old prime minister was heavily criticised for writing blank cheques to our allies, including the US when it came to financial aid.

Secondly with the invasion, you don't sign treaties of your not willing to act on them.

Interesting how students are losing out as universities aren't getting funding.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-09-2013 06:22 AM
    I have yet to see a poll to suggest that, but believe what you want.

I poss this question: How many that claim to want it, know anything about it?
    You believe that the majority wants it? It's pretty clear that it isn't wanted. Here's your polls:

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law
    10-09-2013 09:02 AM
    You believe that the majority wants it? It's pretty clear that it isn't wanted. Here's your polls:

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - Public Approval of Health Care Law
    I wonder what percentage of the for and against's are too stupid to understand it either way. 95% of the law is a disaster, but there are 1 or 2 elements I'd keep.
    10-09-2013 09:26 AM
    Let it stay closed. In reality it has been stated that 87% is still open so it nonsense from the start. Fear politics doesn't work as
    effectively as it had before. I think its the "crying wolf syndrome". We should allow the so called shutdown to resume. In the end we actually might see
    which departments are really needed and which departments are either not effective or not needed. This could save enormous amounts and it could also give more
    choices to the states as how to administer what is critically needed in each. The idea that the larger the government the better life will be has never been proven to be true
    in all of mans history. In Rome it lead to failure and the Dark Ages. What makes any of you think that this new tax scheme will change that? (Supreme Court declared ACA a tax.)
    A small effective and narrowly focused government would outperform the monster that the political classes have socially engineered.

I think we need to bail on this failure and start giving power back to the states as they know what their needs are much better than a bureaucrat in Washington.
    10-09-2013 09:37 AM
    I had a long blog prepared for this thread, but will sum it up in two words, Obama Sucks!

Sent from my One using AC Forums mobile app
    10-09-2013 09:41 AM
    I am curious to those who criticize Obama actually voted
    I shall say 'No vote, no complaints permitted'
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-09-2013 05:14 PM
    I am curious to those who criticize Obama actually voted
    I shall say 'No vote, no complaints permitted'
    We didn't have a good candidate to choose from.

10-09-2013 06:16 PM
    We didn't have a good candidate to choose from.

I agree with you on that. If Christie runs in 2016, he has a pretty good shot, even against Hillary. It will be close.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3 now Free
    10-09-2013 06:28 PM
749 ... 23456 ...