10-30-2013 01:49 AM
229 ... 23456 ...
tools
    But that's what happens when you mix religion and politics.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    Not me, per se.
    I don't do that.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    msndrstood likes this.
    10-17-2013 03:04 PM
    Not me, per se.
    I don't do that.

Lol

10-17-2013 03:05 PM
    This thread hasn't had a specific topic since the first page. It's at risk of getting closed.

People need to watch what they say and how they say it. Borderline stuff being said.
    10-17-2013 05:10 PM
    I'll try to drag this train back on track. I think it's way past time to require an I.D. to vote. Probably should have been around since I.D. first came into existence, imho. I know there may be some hardships, but I don't see why states can't institute programs for free I.D.'s to those that have issues. Or do something like having a mobile booth setup at the polling sites where people can bring in the requisite info and get their photo I.D. issued right there. A one stop shop if you will.

What I would have issue with is the states that issue any sort of I.D. to illegal immigrants, or don't require proof of residency to issue them. If a universal voter I.D. law were enacted, there would need to be safeguards in place to prevent illegal voters from doing so because they were issued a government I.D. Probably would require a transitional period where states that have issued non-resident I.D. need to make an addendum to their cards to indicate it's a verified legal resident if they haven't already done so.
    10-17-2013 10:59 PM
    I have no problem if the states would make it free and easy, same day voter registration is one way, a good way, to accomplish that. I think there should be voter out reach drives in the communities where election people such as the League of Woman Voters could set up a booth st the local library, grocery store, post office etc to facilitate the ease to register.

We should be making it easier to vote, not harder.

10-18-2013 07:03 AM
    I have no problem if the states would make it free and easy, same day voter registration is one way, a good way, to accomplish that. I think there should be voter out reach drives in the communities where election people such as the League of Woman Voters could set up a booth st the local library, grocery store, post office etc to facilitate the ease to register.

We should be making it easier to vote, not harder.

Absolutely!

The voter ID laws are nothing more than an attempt to suppress the African-American and Latino vote. They are draped in innocence such as "I need an ID to buy cigarittes" or "It is just to prevent fraud". Voter ID fraud is next to non existent. The overwhelming majority of African-American and Latino voters vote Democrat, and this is the most recent tactic to keep them from voting. As you have stated it hasn't been a problem for over 230 years but all of the sudden we need to make it an issue.

Here is an idea. How about Republicans stop dismissing poor people as parasites, or knock of their rhetoric about how African-American's or Hispanics suck down their tax dollars through welfare or food stamps when the truth of the matter is the red states suck down substantially more federal money than the blue states.

If Texas swings blue, which is entirely possible, the Republicans will never win the White House again. The Republicans have to learn to appeal to the younger generation and the minorities. They can learn to adapt to the country we now have, or they can stick to their same old inclusive attitude and continue to lose elections.

Bottom line, if they had some decent policy ideas that the middle and lower middle class would be interested in, they wouldn't have the need to suppress the vote.
    msndrstood and palandri like this.
    10-18-2013 08:38 AM
    Absolutely!

The voter ID laws are nothing more than an attempt to suppress the African-American and Latino vote. They are draped in innocence such as "I need an ID to buy cigarittes" or "It is just to prevent fraud". Voter ID fraud is next to non existent. The overwhelming majority of African-American and Latino voters vote Democrat, and this is the most recent tactic to keep them from voting. As you have stated it hasn't been a problem for over 230 years but all of the sudden we need to make it an issue.
    Maybe it is an attempt to suppress that voting bloc, maybe, but why is it so hard to have I.D.? What kinda responsible adult wouldn't have I.D.?

10-18-2013 08:51 AM
    Given the small number of people of voting age that don't have any form of photo I.D., I don't see how the argument of voter suppression holds any water. There are too few to be suppressed with this kind of rule to be worth trying, and also include lots of people that would vote Republican and essentially shoot themselves in the foot.

But let's look at that a bit deeper. For that argument to be true in their minds, that means the people using it are making the assumption that most people in whatever minority group they are trying to "defend" are pretty irresponsible. That to me sounds more racist, sexist, whatever-ist than what they accuse the right of doing.
    10-18-2013 09:17 AM
    There are volunteers on voting day that take voters to the polls. I volunteered but was not needed in my area.

Like I said, if they were free and EASY to obtain...

I guess I'm the only one here old enough and with health issues that might understand the difficulty of traveling 50 miles to get an ID in order to exercise my right to vote.

You guys don't want any added burdens on your second amendment rights, same for the rest of us who want to exercise our constitutional right to vote without undo hardship.

I have to show an ID to exercise my 2nd amendment right. Why do I have to show my ID?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-18-2013 10:24 PM
    People are worried about obtaining a ID but they are okay with obamacare? Alrighty then...

10-18-2013 10:30 PM
    Paying for I.D. is not paying to vote. You're supposed to carry I.D. with you anyway.

Isn't it illegal in some states to be over eighteen and not carry a photo ID anyway?
    10-19-2013 08:23 PM
    I have to show an ID to exercise my 2nd amendment right. Why do I have to show my ID?

Precisely. I have to show ID when I get pulled over, go into a federal building, ect. What is really laughable is that when I worked for a union company, I had to show a photo ID to vote in a union election, and the union is against voter ID. Oh, I needed a photo ID to get my job as well.
    10-19-2013 08:25 PM
    Why does the state of Illinois require me to pay money and wait 3 months (the time it takes to process) for a Firearm Owners ID card before I can buy a gun and no one on the left has an issue with that, but asking someone to verify where they live is where they live and who they are is who they are when picking our national leader is "OMFG they're trampling their constitutional rights."

Most doctors offices now a days ask for ID when checking in. There are state issued ID cards available at the DMV. Anyone over the age of 65 or disabled can be given one for free in the State of IL.
    I agree, why should I have to show ID to purchase a firearm but not vote. My Second Amendment does not say anything about showing an ID.
    10-19-2013 08:33 PM
    I honestly have no idea why anyone would oppose making sure a person is who they say they are before voting. We all agree voter fraud is a bad thing right? This will cut down on it significantly.

In Alabama, i know personally that the id is even free. No cost to indevidual.

Well you say it limits people from voting? You have to register to vote. This is more of a limit that getting an ID that you need for lots of other things anyway.

There is really no reason not to make sure someone is who they say they are.
    But it is quite simple. How many cases of voter fraud are there where the fraudulent votes are for Republicans? How many illegals are voting? It seems like the answer to your question is actually pretty simple NoYankees44.
    10-19-2013 08:38 PM
    Doesn't matter, why is it OK to trample one constitutional right and a travesty to touch another? If you don't think electing an ***** harms anyone take a look at the last 5 yrs.
    Correct, why was I required to show an ID when I purchased my last shotgun? It seems that the left will always have their way, sadly.

Sure, so answer why is it OK **** on my 2nd amendment rights but we can turn a blind eye when it comes time to voting. The left screams voter suppression among minorities, what's stopping Sharpton or Jackson from setting up a program to take urban voters to the DMV and get their ID? Collect donations if you must if the $20 is too much to take away from their drug habit.
    Because democrats are against legal gun ownership?
    10-19-2013 08:40 PM
    If the guns were purchased legally and they passed the background check, I'm fine with it. Someones race or ethnicity doesn't intimidate me in the least.
    Precisely. If the guns were legal, I would have no issue at all.
    10-19-2013 08:49 PM
    I'm on the Right, never owned nor even shot a gun, certainly far, far, FAR from rich and i don't even know where the Old Testament ends and the New Testament begins.

So there goes the Left's theory.

It appears as though you are not the stereotypical Republican then! Neither am I though, as I work for everything that I have and do not keep my guns in my apartment.

10-19-2013 10:09 PM
    Maybe it is an attempt to suppress that voting bloc, maybe, but why is it so hard to have I.D.? What kinda responsible adult wouldn't have I.D.?

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    Hell, I had to have an ID to get my job. One of my previous jobs, I had to show two photo IDs to get into the parking lot, and have a building pass to get into the building. This is nothing more than the left trying to encourage fraudulent votes.
    10-19-2013 10:15 PM
    Isn't it illegal in some states to be over eighteen and not carry a photo ID anyway?
    I thought so. Who knows, anymore?

It seems like everything's upside-down these days.

10-19-2013 10:28 PM
    I think those laws were eliminated by a Supreme Court ruling on vagrancy. A few states had laws that if you didn't have money or ID you could get arrested for vagrancy.
    10-19-2013 10:45 PM
    I thought so. Who knows, anymore?

It seems like everything's upside-down these days.

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    It would make sense. I mean what would keep me from getting arrested with no ID and giving a fake name?
    10-20-2013 06:35 PM
    Everyone votes here, to be honest if some did a fraud for you here - could be a favour getting out of A $50 fine for not voting.

Ps no is requires here, just name & address.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    palandri likes this.
    10-22-2013 07:50 AM
    Everyone votes here, to be honest if some did a fraud for you here - could be a favour getting out of A $50 fine for not voting.

I like the idea of a $50 fine for not voting. It would encourage people to vote.

It would be pretty impossible to pass a law/bill like that here in the states. The National Front (Tea Party) party would be screaming it's an infringement on freedom not to vote. At least that would be their logic.
    msndrstood and Fairclough like this.
    10-22-2013 08:44 AM
    I like the idea of a $50 fine for not voting. It would encourage people to vote.

It would be pretty impossible to pass a law/bill like that here in the states. The National Front (Tea Party) party would be screaming it's an infringement on freedom not to vote. At least that would be their logic.
    Do you really want a flood of completely uneducated(politically) voters in the polls? It would become even more of a popularity contest than it is now. Campaigns would be won solely on flashy commercials and bashing of candidates. We are already alarmingly far down that path, lets not jump off the cliff at the end.

Heck i would support a law that required you to pass a test of knowledge of the candidates and what their policies are before you can vote. That way only voters that understand the basic issues can have influence. I have no problem with people that have different opinions than myself voting. I have a huge problem with people that know nothing about the candidates or issues voting. It turns into a "well he has a nice smile" contest instead of an important decision about the direction the country will take for the next term.

O and just to point out some Hypocrisy: 13$ to get an id to vote is unreasonable, but a 50$ fine for not voting at all is good idea...
    10-22-2013 09:02 AM

If and when fraud happens in your country, I would imagine it is easy so see and find(and less relevant) sense your voter turn out is probably very high. In the US, voter turn out is low. There is so many that do not vote, someone committing fraud is much less likely to be caught sense it is a good chance the person they are impersonating was not going to show up anyway(if they didn't just let the fraud-er vote for them anyway)

I still maintain that there is no way to know how much fraud there actually is. I mean if someone shows up and impersonates someone else, how would we ever know unless the person they are impersonating comes by to refute it? All statics are about who is caught. We have no idea how many go uncaught.
    10-22-2013 09:08 AM
229 ... 23456 ...