10-30-2013 01:49 AM
229 123 ...
tools
    It is not a national election year, but there has been some small discussion in other threads so I figured why not make a full discussion thread.

So, Voter ID Laws(in relation to US primarily). 12 States currently have laws in place. 13 other states have applied federally to have laws requiring identification approved.

Opinions?

A wiki for your reading pleasure: Voter ID laws in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    10-17-2013 07:34 AM
    Why do you think it's a Republican?Right Wing pushed initiative? Are there documented cases of voter fraud that effected election results? What's wrong with the South Dakota law, "If a voter does not possess a photo ID at the polling place, then the voter may complete an affidavit of personal identification."?
    10-17-2013 08:40 AM
    Not to hijack your thread, but I'd also like a discussion on whether a certain level of education should be required in order to vote in Presidential elections.

Voting for a world leader should not be subject to people that don't even know how many states there are, etc.

This has been a peeve that I've been petting for many years now.

If you'd rather that discussion be separate, just let me know.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    stryper likes this.
    10-17-2013 08:51 AM
    Why do you think it's a Republican?Right Wing pushed initiative? Are there documented cases of voter fraud that effected election results? What's wrong with the South Dakota law, "If a voter does not possess a photo ID at the polling place, then the voter may complete an affidavit of personal identification."?
    I am assuming these are general discussion points sense no posts relating to these have yet been made?
    palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 09:02 AM
    As I have said in other threads...

It hasn't been a problem for 237 years. Why is it a problem now?

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    palandri and benhmadison like this.
    10-17-2013 09:16 AM
    I honestly have no idea why anyone would oppose making sure a person is who they say they are before voting. We all agree voter fraud is a bad thing right? This will cut down on it significantly.

In Alabama, i know personally that the id is even free. No cost to indevidual.

Well you say it limits people from voting? You have to register to vote. This is more of a limit that getting an ID that you need for lots of other things anyway.

There is really no reason not to make sure someone is who they say they are.
    A-android-B likes this.
    10-17-2013 09:35 AM
    But why is it an issue now?

palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 09:41 AM
    But why is it an issue now?

Arguably it has always been an issue because i assume there has always been voter fraud on some level. But there is also a larger population will many more voters and voting centers with many more people running poles. This all opens the door for inconsistencies in procedure and checks. Everyone being required to have an ID will cut down on the fraud possibilities.

Counter question: In what way will this be a bad thing? ID's are free. Registration is already required. Why not get an ID as part of that process(assuming you do not have a driver licence/passport/any other ID which is a vast minority). As long as it is publicly advertised well ahead of time(as it has been in both states i have lived), no one will be kept from the poles.
    10-17-2013 09:59 AM
    It looks to me that most states charge a fee for a state issued ID.

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/...-ID-cards-cost

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/mo...polltax_1.html

You should not have to pay to vote. Period.

palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:04 AM

http://dmvanswers.com/questions/419/...-ID-cards-cost

http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/mo...polltax_1.html

Paying for I.D. is not paying to vote. You're supposed to carry I.D. with you anyway.

stryper likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:16 AM
    Paying for I.D. is not paying to vote. You're supposed to carry I.D. with you anyway.

It sure is if you don't need it for anything else. Who says you're supposed to carry an ID on you at all times? Is that a law I missed in the past 56 years?

That argument doesn't make sense. This isn't 1939 Germany.

palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:21 AM

How much do state ID cards cost? - DMV Answers

The 24th Amendment Ended the Poll Tax

Generally anyone over the age of 18 should have a photo ID. It's required for travel, to purchase cigarettes, alcohol, to write or cash a check. Not to mention if one is stopped by law enforcement.
    10-17-2013 10:24 AM
    If you are 70, don't drive, don't drink, you probably don't have that ID.

If they handed them out free, made it so you can get them at a library or some where that has easy access, then maybe I wouldn't have an issue about it. But when you don't drive, and you have to travel 50 miles to pay $10-$30 to get one while you're on a fixed income...It becomes a poll tax.

palandri and benhmadison like this.
    10-17-2013 10:29 AM
    It sure is if you don't need it for anything else. Who says you're supposed to carry an ID on you at all times? Is that a law I missed in the past 56 years?

That argument doesn't make sense. This isn't 1939 Germany.

What Steve said.

10-17-2013 10:29 AM
    What Steve said.

What I just responded about.

10-17-2013 10:30 AM
    And to the question of why now? There was no talk of voter ID 10-15, 20 years ago. Vote fraud is hardly the issue...

palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:32 AM
    And to the question of why now? There was no talk of voter ID 10-15, 20 years ago. Vote fraud is hardly the issue...

I'd rather have MY question answered.

10-17-2013 10:33 AM

How much do state ID cards cost? - DMV Answers

The 24th Amendment Ended the Poll Tax

What if they are free? Like in Alabama

And besides, you have to pay to travel to the poll. To travel to registration. I dont see any states offering free transportation for all citizens to polls. Are we going to mandate that now so voting is "free"?
    10-17-2013 10:34 AM
    There are volunteers on voting day that take voters to the polls. I volunteered but was not needed in my area.

Like I said, if they were free and EASY to obtain...

I guess I'm the only one here old enough and with health issues that might understand the difficulty of traveling 50 miles to get an ID in order to exercise my right to vote.

You guys don't want any added burdens on your second amendment rights, same for the rest of us who want to exercise our constitutional right to vote without undo hardship.

palandri likes this.
    10-17-2013 10:39 AM
    If you are 70, don't drive, don't drink, you probably don't have that ID.

If they handed them out free, made it so you can get them at a library or some where that has easy access, then maybe I wouldn't have an issue about it. But when you don't drive, and you have to travel 50 miles to pay $10-$30 to get one while you're on a fixed income...It becomes a poll tax.

Why does the state of Illinois require me to pay money and wait 3 months (the time it takes to process) for a Firearm Owners ID card before I can buy a gun and no one on the left has an issue with that, but asking someone to verify where they live is where they live and who they are is who they are when picking our national leader is "OMFG they're trampling their constitutional rights."

Most doctors offices now a days ask for ID when checking in. There are state issued ID cards available at the DMV. Anyone over the age of 65 or disabled can be given one for free in the State of IL.
    10-17-2013 10:41 AM
    There are volunteers on voting day that take voters to the polls. I volunteered but was not needed in my area.

I guess I'm the only one here old enough and with health issues that might understand the difficulty of traveling 50 miles to get an ID in order to exercise my right to vote.

You guys don't want any added burdens on your second amendment rights, same for the rest of us who want to exercise our constitutional right to vote without undo hardship.

Yes, we in Chicago are very familiar with voters getting "bused in" wink wink. lol
    10-17-2013 10:42 AM
    I don't think a vote can be used to physically harm anyone.

Then no one should be alarmed if we are are micro chopped with our ID's. That way every one would be identified accurately and there wouldn't be any cases of fraud.

10-17-2013 10:44 AM
    I don't think a vote can be used to physically harm anyone.

Then no one should be alarmed if we are are micro chopped with our ID's. That way every one would be identified accurately and there wouldn't be any cases of fraud.

Doesn't matter, why is it OK to trample one constitutional right and a travesty to touch another? If you don't think electing an ***** harms anyone take a look at the last 5 yrs.
    10-17-2013 10:46 AM

How is it any different than having to register in the first place? You have to travel for that. Same exact place in my experience.
    10-17-2013 10:48 AM
    Yes, we in Chicago are very familiar with voters getting "bused in" wink wink. lol
    Uh, sorry. I live in the boonies. Our voter district has less than 300 people. A 'busload' of people would be an additional 50 people, there wouldn't be room to stand in our district.

But actually, you have inadvertently pointed at the answer to my question. Fear.

10-17-2013 10:48 AM
229 123 ...