03-15-2015 11:55 AM
70 123
tools
    Right, that's pretty much what I said, just pointing out that prices wouldn't double or triple if minimum wage did, they'd only go up by roughly the real operating costs that are offset by an action. So the cheeseburger example, assuming it's close to $8 now, would increase to maybe $10 or $11 with a 300% increase to minimum wage, rather than $21. I think we agree costs for everyone would go up, but it wouldn't be at the same rate as wages, but at the ratio of the actual increase to business expenses.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    Plus those people you're paying more money to would spend it here, as you mentioned with an increase in demand for consumer goods.
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-04-2013 01:17 AM
    Every dollar spent is believed to be sent an extra 10x. Think how much that would stimulate the economy. Those low workers are more likely to be students... Who are most wreckless group with money? Students... Hence you know it will be spent.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    11-04-2013 05:31 AM
    Or, those people who run those businesses we decided they couldn't pay that wage and if I were well enough off to do so would simply close their doors. Or maybe just cut the amount of employees they maintain

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    11-04-2013 05:53 AM
    Or, those people who run those businesses we decided they couldn't pay that wage and if I were well enough off to do so would simply close their doors. Or maybe just cut the amount of employees they maintain

I have a feeling that business that are solely cost competitive, such as telco, fast food, etc. would probably go that route more often than jobs with mainly professional operations. The latter are already paying above the $21 figure and would be impacted only in a slight cost rise to their materials, etc that could be more easily absorbed.

The biggest group by a long, long ways, of people to become unemployed by a raise in minimum wage are those who are making minimum wage. If I'm a business owner, I want efficiency above all else, so if I'm going spend a dollar, I want the maximum return possible for that dollar.... sometimes that's a robot, a program or other automated process that reduces manual procedure requirements and eventually nets less FTE.

The GOOD news of increasing minimum wage for those businesses, is that they can swing those expenses out of their pretax and write more real profits. That also reduces the risk.. but adding any unnecessary risk in an economy as skittish as this one is poor planning.
    11-04-2013 07:02 AM
    IN MOST CASES, is it their own fault that they're homeless (by making ill-conceived decisions throughout life), or rather, are they an expected parallel to society, the result of inadequate government or just going through a spell of plain ol' bad luck?

And how can homelessness be eradicated on a noticeable scale?

In addition -
    What do YOU do when you see a homeless person or when one approaches you?

Signatures, shmignatures...
    It's both. Some people did lose their job and go down from the and some are just lazy. I don't know why they don't go to shelters though

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    11-04-2013 07:08 AM
    Fun fact; if your 19 years old subway pays about $20... That's fast food and last time I checked they made a profit.

11-04-2013 08:05 PM
    Fun fact; if your 19 years old subway pays about $20... That's fast food and last time I checked they made a profit.

Not here it doesn't.

nolittdroid likes this.
    11-04-2013 08:11 PM
    Here it does and McDonald's does $9.
    Business can run at higher labour rates.

11-04-2013 08:20 PM

I find that very difficult to believe in conjunction with your post saying McDonald's pays 9.

Why would Subway pay more than double? Where is the fact in this "fun-fact"?

11-04-2013 10:30 PM
    Fun Fact I worked for them, when I was 16 I was on $15 an hour and it increased until you were 21, I stopped working when nationals and exams came up and my employer was trying to say I couldn't have a week of for them.
    11-05-2013 04:37 AM
    Fun Fact I worked for them, when I was 16 I was on $15 an hour and it increased until you were 21, I stopped working when nationals and exams came up and my employer was trying to say I couldn't have a week of for them.
    When I was sixteen, I made $3.35 an hour.

11-05-2013 04:59 AM
    When I was sixteen, I made $3.35 an hour.

•• Signatures, shmignatures...
    My first "job" (PT in high school) was $6 (also volunteered as an assistant instructor then), my first real job was my own business and it paid much better. Generally businesses around here start entry level jobs between $9-11 and sub-professional jobs between $15-18 today. My area would see very little impact from a minimum wage of $9-10, except in the rise of goods and materials from the rest of the country.
    11-05-2013 05:15 AM
    Instead of philosophical pondering as to why we have homeless people, time helping them is much more valuable. Thinking of service in a kitchen this winter can't hurt.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I'm considering it as well. A friend of mine has volunteered at the same food kitchen for the past few years and she is going back this year as well.

✌SG3/iPad2
    11-05-2013 10:29 AM
    Instead of philosophical pondering as to why we have homeless people, time helping them is much more valuable. Thinking of service in a kitchen this winter can't hurt.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Had to dig something up here...

The key to fixing any problem is understanding the cause and circumstances. For example, if someone cannot hold a job because they are lazy and never do any work, the answer to helping them is probably not furthering their education. Same with the homeless. If a large percentage of homeless are as such because of a particular reason, then that curves how we fix the issues.

Basically, while I agree with what you were trying to say, the solution is dependent on the cause in this case.
    gamefreak715 likes this.
    11-05-2013 03:00 PM
    People should help the big issue.
    Which is the big issue.
    Magazine sold by homeless people to support the homeless

11-10-2013 09:16 PM
    In my city a few CEO's dressed up as homeless and pretended to do so for a couple of hours, all proceeds went to charities (and donations in cash equivalent) but what they found alarming was - the most genius were the least wealthy looking and the younger ages groups. THey reported feeling completely ignored and the highlight a man who did not look well off, apologising for not having money on him and coming back a few minutes later with a $20.

Interesting how they thought it was low econ groups being the generous ones.
    11-26-2013 11:14 PM
    Couple things.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Inflation Calculator

You'd be amazed what a 1960-69 dollar is worth in 2013 dollars.

Second, if we assume that a predominance of homeless have mental or psychological issues, why then isn't our first consideration as a society to get them treatment with an eye to normalization (so far as is possible on a case-by-case basis) so that they can deal rationally with their life and present situation?

In S.W. Florida (specifically Fort Myers) there is a gentleman who, for perhaps the last 25 years or more, has been riding his bicycle around the area and collecting cans and other scrap material, which he then presumably sells. He is homeless and chooses to subsist in this fashion. He has also gained a lot of weight in those years, which suggests he eats regularly, and eats well. The people I know who've met him describe him as odd, but harmless.
    11-27-2013 07:48 PM
    Couple things.

U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics: Inflation Calculator

You'd be amazed what a 1960-69 dollar is worth in 2013 dollars.

Second, if we assume that a predominance of homeless have mental or psychological issues, why then isn't our first consideration as a society to get them treatment with an eye to normalization (so far as is possible on a case-by-case basis) so that they can deal rationally with their life and present situation?

In S.W. Florida (specifically Fort Myers) there is a gentleman who, for perhaps the last 25 years or more, has been riding his bicycle around the area and collecting cans and other scrap material, which he then presumably sells. He is homeless and chooses to subsist in this fashion. He has also gained a lot of weight in those years, which suggests he eats regularly, and eats well. The people I know who've met him describe him as odd, but harmless.
    I remember there being a supposed homeless guy in Ft. Lauderdale (other side) about 10/15 years ago that would collect money, food from motorists coming off the highway and then walk around the corner and leave in his Mercedes at the end of the day. I don't remember the details, but it's a true story.

I know it's not the norm (it was just a con-artist) but I just thought it interesting.
    11-28-2013 05:59 AM
    Excellent question actually. I would love to know the answer to this.
    Hey, if he is able to support himself this way then more power to him.

I remember there being a supposed homeless guy in Ft. Lauderdale (other side) about 10/15 years ago that would collect money, food from motorists coming off the highway and then walk around the corner and leave in his Mercedes at the end of the day. I don't remember the details, but it's a true story.

I know it's not the norm (it was just a con-artist) but I just thought it interesting.
    I was stationed in Germany for four years. A bunch of friends and I went down to Venice, Italy, for a long weekend. We saw some people, not sure of their ethnicity, panhandling fruits on a street corner. The following day they were begging in San Marco Square. That evening we saw them downtown getting out of a (then) late model luxury sedan, and not a cheap one either. Perhaps I am in the wrong line of work!
    12-01-2013 11:05 AM
    The first job I ever had was working for Kash n Karry (now Sweetbay) in 1988 making $3.75 an hour. Minimum wage then was $3.25. Earlier this year I was working a part-time job as a student tutor for my college, and they paid straight minimum wage ($7.79). I've made, over the years, as much as $13.65 an hour. S.W. Florida sucks all kinds of nasty things when it comes to jobs and wage rates.

My plan, especially now that I know what I'm doing with the rest of my life, is to GTFO of this state as soon as it becomes financially and logistically possible for me to do so.
    Fairclough likes this.
    12-01-2013 06:37 PM
    That's harsh, at my uni I believe tutors are paid $100 per tut group. Each tut group does 1 session a week, except the tutor has to answer all their emails, mark exams etc. So fundamentally their not paid $100 an hour if you count out of class time they put in. E.g. most I have give out their personal mobile numbers if you want a chat or assistance or just general career advice.

12-04-2013 05:44 AM
    Here in the U.S., one can *easily* draw a parallel between our medical industry and our higher education industry. Everything (or nearly) that is education-related is automatically more expensive, and usually by a significant amount.

The whole thing is about making as much money as you can. On the surface, it's all about how much better off you'll be with a college degree. But if you dig at all below the surface, the avarice and greed is easy to see.

Why do you think college sports teams are such a big thing here? Universities make MILLIONS a year from them. They likewise make more millions from research programs they conduct.

At least at the college I've gone to, they probably wouldn't even *have* paid student tutoring programs there if they felt they could get away with it. I'm willing to bet the only thing keeping it going is the work of internal politics plus, of course, reports showing how effective it is which then can be used for propaganda purposes.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-04-2013 09:38 AM
    That really does suck. Over here we don't push university sport, we have uni games which is just a joke were no one tries and does sports they don't know how to play. E.g. some of our elite rowers took up netball.

I wish we had the sport system, all the serious athletes just do club sport which is separate to the uni.

I did notice our payment system is different. Over here we have the option for upfront or pay later or a mix of both.

My degree from my states best uni is only about $10,000 a year as I'm doing commerce but if it was a science it would be about 7000 and art 5000.

The fortunate bit is on our pay later we don't pay interest! Only inflation as the government foots the bill and when we earn I think above $60,000 that's when we're required to make small repayments.

Every repayment over $500 our government also gives us an extra 10% e.g. say we paid 550.

Its odd our countries different views on things, its almost here that they want everyone who can get a degree to be able to without experiencing financial hardship.

12-04-2013 03:43 PM
    That really does suck. Over here we don't push university sport, we have uni games which is just a joke were no one tries and does sports they don't know how to play. E.g. some of our elite rowers took up netball.

I wish we had the sport system, all the serious athletes just do club sport which is separate to the uni.

I did notice our payment system is different. Over here we have the option for upfront or pay later or a mix of both.

My degree from my states best uni is only about $10,000 a year as I'm doing commerce but if it was a science it would be about 7000 and art 5000.

The fortunate bit is on our pay later we don't pay interest! Only inflation as the government foots the bill and when we earn I think above $60,000 that's when we're required to make small repayments.

Every repayment over $500 our government also gives us an extra 10% e.g. say we paid 550.

Its odd our countries different views on things, its almost here that they want everyone who can get a degree to be able to without experiencing financial hardship.

In America we base everything off money and education is tenth in our priorities.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile
    12-06-2013 07:52 AM
    The first job I ever had was working for Kash n Karry (now Sweetbay) in 1988 making $3.75 an hour. Minimum wage then was $3.25. Earlier this year I was working a part-time job as a student tutor for my college, and they paid straight minimum wage ($7.79). I've made, over the years, as much as $13.65 an hour. S.W. Florida sucks all kinds of nasty things when it comes to jobs and wage rates.

My plan, especially now that I know what I'm doing with the rest of my life, is to GTFO of this state as soon as it becomes financially and logistically possible for me to do so.
    I live in Cape Coral and work for a company in Ft. Myers I moved down here for work from NY 3 years ago. This place is absolutely horrible to try and find a job but with that being said one of the absolute best places to start a bussiness. Due to the lower taxes and all types of wonderful homestead acts you are much better being broke here than in a major city like LA or NY. I am 24 now when i first moved here I worked at Walmart for min wage (off Colonial and six mile cypruss) and I said I had enough quit, and started my own telecommunications business from scratch and $1,539 in my savings. My point being is I would NEVER been able to do this if I lived anywhere else other than here for the fact of the low cost food, low cost gas, low rent cost to survive till my company made money...Point is without a place like SW Florida people would still be hungry.
    12-06-2013 09:01 AM
70 123