03-15-2015 11:55 AM
70 123
tools
    Here it does and McDonald's does $9.
    Business can run at higher labour rates.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    McDonalds where I'm from starts at $19.50. But that's due to the lack of workers and high cost of living here in oil country, North Dakota.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-07-2013 12:09 AM
    McDonalds where I'm from starts at $19.50. But that's due to the lack of workers and high cost of living here in oil country, North Dakota.

Are you for real?
    12-08-2013 03:20 PM
    Excellent question actually. I would love to know the answer to this.
    Unless all they're suffering from is plain old depression, the drugs made for illnesses like schizophrenia do not treat the schizophrenia. All they do is control aggression but they don't stop visions or voices. That's why people with certain illnesses can't necessarily take care of themselves as far as holding down a job. But that doesn't mean they want to be treated with any less respect or forced to live in institutions or group homes permanently. There still are no good solutions for people with certain non-fatal illnesses.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-08-2013 03:38 PM
    Are you for real?
    Absolutely. People across the country are coming to work here. We have thousands of unfilled positions. Just no one wants to move to a boomtown. Williston, ND.

12-08-2013 07:27 PM
    Post-secondary education in Australia is seem as something like a right. In America, it is defined as a privilege. There are grants and federal aid programs and, of course, student loans. And these days, Florida has something called the "Bright Futures" scholarship program. These help, but given the system keeps getting more and more expensive, these grant programs cover less and less.

Fairclough likes this.
    12-08-2013 10:52 PM
    Post-secondary education in Australia is seem as something like a right. In America, it is defined as a privilege. There are grants and federal aid programs and, of course, student loans. And these days, Florida has something called the "Bright Futures" scholarship program. These help, but given the system keeps getting more and more expensive, these grant programs cover less and less.

You can blame Obama for not passing a bill earlier this year.

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile
    12-09-2013 06:27 AM

Student loans are really getting out of control:

1. If you or I charge up like $30K on multiple credit cards, lose our job, or have have a medical emergency, we can file bankruptcy. You can't do that with Student Loans.
    2. I've read reports of people getting out of college, getting a good paying $80K a year job, then when they try to buy a house, their loan application is declined due to excessive indebtedness, due to the student loans.
    3. I've also read reports of people getting out of college, unable to find a job, so they go back to school for their Masters degree, because their Student Loan would come due if they are not in school, but they are just getting themselves farther in debit going for the Masters degree. I have a niece that just did that. She couldn't find work in her field, her Student Loan came due, so she went back for her Masters degree.
    12-09-2013 11:43 AM
    Absolutely. People across the country are coming to work here. We have thousands of unfilled positions. Just no one wants to move to a boomtown. Williston, ND.

I will be moving there shortly then! That $19.50 an hour working at McDonalds is more than I make doing what I do.
    12-09-2013 01:18 PM
    1. If you or I charge up like $30K on multiple credit cards, lose our job, or have have a medical emergency, we can file bankruptcy. You can't do that with Student Loans.
    Let me stop you right there. There is a difference. The banks loan the money for credit cards. For student loans that money is loaned by the government. Also, you can't declare bankruptcy on back taxes or court ordered restitution or child support from what I read.
    12-09-2013 01:21 PM
    Let me stop you right there. There is a difference. The banks loan the money for credit cards. For student loans that money is loaned by the government. Also, you can't declare bankruptcy on back taxes or court ordered restitution or child support from what I read.
    Here's another difference: The banks create that "loan" out of thin air, not out of their assets. The government loans money that they either have to cover with revenue or they borrow it, in which case the same banks create the money out of thin air. Oh wait, there is no difference. In both cases inflation increases and everyone who is not the bank gets hosed.
    12-09-2013 01:39 PM
    Here's another difference: The banks create that "loan" out of thin air, not out of their assets. The government loans money that they either have to cover with revenue or they borrow it, in which case the same banks create the money out of thin air. Oh wait, there is no difference. In both cases inflation increases and everyone who is not the bank gets hosed.
    I still see that there is a difference between not paying a bank, and not paying your GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED student loans. If I am not mistaken, can't you catch criminal charges for not paying the government subsidized student loans?
    12-09-2013 01:58 PM
    I still see that there is a difference between not paying a bank, and not paying your GOVERNMENT SUBSIDIZED student loans. If I am not mistaken, can't you catch criminal charges for not paying the government subsidized student loans?
    Nothing criminal. Student loans in default can be turned over to collection agencies, obviously destroy one's credit rating, wages can be garnished and the issuance of new loans may be prevented. Interest and penalties can get pretty out of control with them too. Ed is pretty good about working out repayment plans to "rehabilitate" loans, which is an advantage to borrowers and to taxpayers, because getting *some* revenue back is better than the debt being "absolved".
    12-09-2013 02:03 PM
    I will be moving there shortly then! That $19.50 an hour working at McDonalds is more than I make doing what I do.
    Good luck finding affordable housing. 2 bedroom apartments are going for $2000+/month. Probably worse than Manhattan from what I hear.

12-09-2013 03:21 PM
    Nothing criminal. Student loans in default can be turned over to collection agencies, obviously destroy one's credit rating, wages can be garnished and the issuance of new loans may be prevented. Interest and penalties can get pretty out of control with them too. Ed is pretty good about working out repayment plans to "rehabilitate" loans, which is an advantage to borrowers and to taxpayers, because getting *some* revenue back is better than the debt being "absolved".
    If I could expand on a couple of things. First, "obviously destroy one's credit rating", this seems to be happening even if they are paying back on the loan by people getting declined a home loan due to excessive indebtedness, due to the student loans. I've read it not unusual for a 4 year degree to cost from $60K to $120K depending on the school you go to, then if you go for your Masters degree, add another $40K to $60K. I think people are just going to far into debt for an education. Their education is the price of a house.

You mentioned before about going back to Italy, is a 4 year college degree paid for by the government? I know in France a 4 year degree is free at public colleges.
    12-09-2013 03:47 PM
    If I could expand on a couple of things. First, "obviously destroy one's credit rating", this seems to be happening even if they are paying back on the loan by people getting declined a home loan due to excessive indebtedness, due to the student loans. I've read it not unusual for a 4 year degree to cost from $60K to $120K depending on the school you go to, then if you go for your Masters degree, add another $40K to $60K. I think people are just going to far into debt for an education. Their education is the price of a house.

You mentioned before about going back to Italy, is a 4 year college degree paid for by the government? I know in France a 4 year degree is free at public colleges.
    My assumption on the home purchasing aspect is that their income to debt ratio is too low, rather than their credit rating. I didn't use student loans, but my wife did and her score seemed to be pretty healthy.

I haven't lived in Italy for over 30 years, but their college is not "free", but it's extremely cheap for the student, with the government paying most of the difference. My sister's tuition was about $3,000 US normalized for today's rates. I think that's roughly on par with community college rates here. The tuition is the same for citizens and non-citizens in Italy, and for those that cannot afford it, there are ways to get scholarships, grants and/or loans.. they're just not really institutionalized the same as they are here.
    palandri likes this.
    12-09-2013 03:53 PM
    My assumption on the home purchasing aspect is that their income to debt ratio is too low, rather than their credit rating. I didn't use student loans, but my wife did and her score seemed to be pretty healthy.

I haven't lived in Italy for over 30 years, but their college is not "free", but it's extremely cheap for the student, with the government paying most of the difference. My sister's tuition was about $3,000 US normalized for today's rates. I think that's roughly on par with community college rates here. The tuition is the same for citizens and non-citizens in Italy, and for those that cannot afford it, there are ways to get scholarships, grants and/or loans.. they're just not really institutionalized the same as they are here.
    Thanks, I thought excessive indebtedness would effect a person credit rating, but what do I know

A local community college by me charges $1736 per semester, or $3472 per year for people in their district. If you're out of the district, the price goes way up - fast. Another crazy thing I discovered when I took French classes there was time licensing of books. My French book was like $220, and covered 2 semesters. Half of the information was in the book and the other half was online and the licensing was good for 18 months. I thought that was crazy. Tuition Rates: Harper College
    12-09-2013 06:58 PM
    Ours slightly changed.
    The government still pays for your degree (you pay back eventually) if your a low income earners sometimes they give you 260 a fortnight. (Not a loan actually free)

And they did give you 1k a semester (free not a loan) to buy books. However this year their changing the 1k a semester to a loan (no interest) except if you have received one prior to 2014 it is kept as a 'scholarship'

So in short, our gov gives an interest free loan for our university fees, a bonus each semester to buy books if your a low income earner (soon a loan if needed) and if are also a low income earner they give 260 a fortnight for food etc (nearly 500 if you live out of home or independent)

My university fees are about $4400 a semester. I am a commerce student so its $1100 a unit (8 a year), science is 800 a unit and art is about 600. This semester it's a little lower as I did some art and science units as a broadenings.

How we repair out student 'hec's fees is when we earn I think above 60k our employer contributes part of out income toward it. Than again 30k for a degree + inflation - above $500 installments 10% bonus. Is not much compared to to her countries.

palandri likes this.
    12-09-2013 10:36 PM
    Put short, they're getting their money back! I hear collections is a nightmare to deal with.
    Good luck finding affordable housing. 2 bedroom apartments are going for $2000+/month. Probably worse than Manhattan from what I hear.

That's about $500 more than what I'm paying now in Virginia Beach. What drives the cost of living up so high there? Is it the oil?
    12-09-2013 11:43 PM
    Ouch. I know some American colleges are generous. A former student at my school was paying a mere $3000 a year for boarding and tuition and Columbia. Than again he was on their varsity team and his parents stopped working so they basically have him a almost full scholarship. A similar deal I think is being done with my team mate but his having problems are he 'deferred' university here.

Moral is if you can't afford school fees get ridiculously good at sport or become an Australian citizen.

palandri and Tall Mike 2145 like this.
    12-10-2013 03:23 AM
    I not do anythink. I think that most of them (or maybe all?) don't want a normal life. And I think that each people should work and earn money.
    03-15-2015 11:55 AM
70 123