01-06-2014 12:49 AM
127 123 ...
tools
    This is a topic that usually comes up around election time, but I figured why not start this while I'm thinking about it. Do you vote straight party lines, vote your conscience, always for or against an incumbent, or some other way? And why? For that matter, do you vote by not voting because you don't like any of the candidates (not to be confused with simple voter apathy)?

I used to pretty much vote straight Republican because I figured they were the lessor of two evils, so to speak. I did elect not to vote for the presidential spot when it was Obama vs McCain because I didn't like either and knew a third party candidate wasn't getting in anyway. I used to think voting for people I really wanted would basically throw my vote away and help the other guy win. Now I've decided to vote my conscience.

For one, the two main sides of the U.S. political system have become so against each other, it would mean sacrificing more of my ideals to keep the other guy from winning and getting less of what I wanted in return. The other big reason came after my mate and I were talking the other day about who we voted for and why. I knew in the last Presidential election she voted for Obama, but I didn't realize it was her version of the lessor of two evils too. Come to find out, we both really would have voted for Ron Paul had we went with our conscience.

That meant our votes not only cancelled each other out or essentially got thrown away anyway because it didn't effect the difference between Romney and Obama, but it also meant Ron Paul missed two votes that could have helped closed the gap more between him and the main candidates. Heck, Paul would have been better off if we didn't vote at all.

It was that bit of irony that finally got me to change my voting habits and I think independents would stand a better chance if more people did the same. I think the two party system may be on its way out or at least need an overhaul with how polar opposite the main parties have become.
    10-30-2013 02:56 AM
    I vote for whomever represents my ideas the best.

That being said, I generally stay away from Democrats because the moderates and borderline conservatives always cave in to the Liberal leadership when the time comes. I know that I could never rely on them to represent me on major issues no matter what platform they ran on. At least the Republicans occasionally do something right. Event if they fail miserable the other 75% of the time.
    10-30-2013 07:57 AM
    I vote for whomever represents my ideas the best.

That being said, I generally stay away from Democrats because the moderates and borderline conservatives always cave in to the Liberal leadership when the time comes. I know that I could never rely on them to represent me on major issues no matter what platform they ran on. At least the Republicans occasionally do something right. Event if they fail miserable the other 75% of the time.
    I pretty much echo this. In its current state I would have a miserably hard time pulling the lever of anyone on the left side of the aisle...this current administration has pushed me further right than I was prior.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-30-2013 08:03 AM
    Voting is futile.
    We don't pick the candidates, and the candidates that get shoved down our throats are all useless, and if not useless, harmful.

I'm going to move to a deserted island as soon as i get a chance.
    Y'all can meet me there. Drinking in public will be allowed, maybe even required.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    Aquila likes this.
    10-30-2013 12:00 PM
    Voting is futile? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Voting Republican or Democratic is futile. Voting them out is worth everyone voting!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Scott7217 likes this.
    10-30-2013 12:49 PM
    Voting is futile? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Voting Republican or Democratic is futile. Voting them out is worth everyone voting!

And it's not ridiculous to think that would actually ever happen?

10-30-2013 01:27 PM
    I'm sure if people are angry enough, they'll vote out the Democrats and the Republicans and vote someone else who can do the job.
    10-30-2013 01:48 PM
    I'm sure if people are angry enough, they'll vote out the Democrats and the Republicans and vote someone else who can do the job.
    Yeah.
    Not gonna happen.

This country's population doesn't get angry about anything important.

10-30-2013 02:00 PM
    Yeah.
    Not gonna happen.

This country's population doesn't get angry about anything important.
    Wasn't the Tea Party a sign that some Americans are angry? Maybe the next step would be to make the Tea Party an independent party.
    10-30-2013 02:04 PM
    Wasn't the Tea Party a sign that some Americans are angry? Maybe the next step would be to make the Tea Party an independent party.
    I think that ship has sailed.

10-30-2013 02:12 PM
    I think that ship has sailed.
    Sometimes things don't work out right in the beginning. How long has the American people lived under two-party rule? I'm sure adding a third party to challenge the other two will take a lot of time and effort. Things that are worthwhile usually do.
    10-30-2013 02:17 PM
    I'm not sure about the Tea Party any more. After seeing how many people fell for that joke of a trucker protest a few weeks ago, it seems like that party is full of conspiracy theorists. Even a couple of talk show hosts I respected seemed to support the protest.
    10-30-2013 02:17 PM
    I'm not sure about the Tea Party any more. After seeing how many people fell for that joke of a trucker protest a few weeks ago, it seems like that party is full of conspiracy theorists. Even a couple of talk show hosts I respected seemed to support the protest.
    I'm sure there are people in every party that believes in some conspiracy, but I get your point. Conspiracy talk can be a distraction. Is there a way to fix the Tea Party and make it a viable third-party option, or is it better to just fold it back into the Republicans?
    10-30-2013 04:13 PM
    Is there a way to fix the Tea Party and make it a viable third-party option, or is it better to just fold it back into the Republicans?
    EXCELLENT question.

10-30-2013 04:15 PM
    EXCELLENT question.
    Furthermore, did the Tea Party hurt the Republicans' chances during the last presidential election? Conversely, did the Republicans' failure to embrace more of the Tea Party's principles cost them the election?
    10-30-2013 05:04 PM
    Furthermore, did the Tea Party hurt the Republicans' chances during the last presidential election? Conversely, did the Republicans' failure to embrace more of the Tea Party's principles cost them the election?
    1. No

2. Yes

(driving)

10-30-2013 05:15 PM

That is on you. It would be foolish to think everything remains the same. The problem is this, to many people *think* they have no voice so they lay down.

Fairclough likes this.
    10-30-2013 06:41 PM
    The tea party platform is what the republican platform use to be. The republicans have mutated into something different, and whatever it is, it doesn't have a spine. Republicans are and have been suffering from a lack of leadership. The reason the Democrats have been successful lately is because people were tired of no ideas from the republicans. Unfortunately, to many people seem to think bad ideas are better than no ideas. I do not vote party lines, who even knows what party people are anymore. I think most of them should belong to the flip flop party. I vote conservative, or as close as I can get to it. I vote my belief system.

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    10-30-2013 10:13 PM
    The tea party platform is what the republican platform use to be. The republicans have mutated into something different, and whatever it is, it doesn't have a spine. Republicans are and have been suffering from a lack of leadership.
    That is a sobering observation, especially given that George W. Bush was able to win 2 terms in office. So much changed in a relatively short period of time.
    10-31-2013 12:38 PM
    The tea party platform is what the republican platform use to be....
    I disagree. Even Barry Goldwater warned the GOP about the religious right wing, which is what the Tea Party is:
    Barry Goldwater's War Against The Religious Right -

Yesterday on CNN, they played a few Rafael Cruz videos (the father of Sen. Ted Cruz) speaking to the Tea Party. He called Obama an outright Marxist who, seeks to destroy all concept of God, and he urged the crowd to send Obama back to Kenya.. Then he goes on with other nonsense like mandated suicide counseling for the elderly...etc...
    WATCH: Ted Cruz's Dad Calls US a "Christian Nation," Says Obama Should Go "Back to Kenya" | Mother Jones

Maybe you agree with Rafael Cruz. I certainly don't, and I would think that most conservatives don't. This is the baggage that comes with the Tea Party platform.
    11-01-2013 09:08 AM
    I disagree. Even Barry Goldwater warned the GOP about the religious right wing, which is what the Tea Party is:

Yesterday on CNN, they played a few Rafael Cruz videos (the father of Sen. Ted Cruz) speaking to the Tea Party. He called Obama an outright Marxist who, seeks to destroy all concept of God, and he urged the crowd to send Obama back to Kenya.. Then he goes on with other nonsense like mandated suicide counseling for the elderly...etc...
    WATCH: Ted Cruz's Dad Calls US a "Christian Nation," Says Obama Should Go "Back to Kenya" | Mother Jones

Maybe you agree with Rafael Cruz. I certainly don't, and I would think that most conservatives don't.
    What can possibly be wrong with suicide counseling?

And as far as the Marxist thing - If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

cdmjlt369 likes this.
    11-01-2013 09:13 AM
    .....And as far as the Marxist thing - If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....
    LOL! Every time I go to a city council meeting and think about their "public works" department, I say the same thing. I am sure they're taking their orders directly from Kim Jong-un. It starts with public ownership of the water department and expands from there.

I do like your new avatar. Is that a self portrait?
    11-01-2013 09:40 AM
    LOL! Every time I go to a city council meeting and think about their "public works" department, I say the same thing. I am sure they're taking their orders directly from Kim Jong-un. It starts with public ownership of the water department and expands from there.

I do like your new avatar. Is that a self portrait?
    lol, thanks, but no, not this time

palandri likes this.
    11-01-2013 09:53 AM
    I vote third party (Green to be exact). Chiefly I favor electoral reform that would support ranked voting. I'm not really liberal enough to be Green but I'm not really on board with Libertarians hands off approach either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-01-2013 09:55 AM

Maybe you agree with Rafael Cruz. I certainly don't, and I would think that most conservatives don't. This is the baggage that comes with the Tea Party platform.
    Really? Every "party" has some individuals that are a bit more hard core. No denying that. But obama has a horrific list of associates.

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/200...bamas.html?m=1

Sent from a device that supports the proposed 28th amendment
    11-01-2013 04:41 PM
127 123 ...