Ronald Reagan once said the following:

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was? Do you feel that our security is as safe, that we're as strong as we were four years ago? And if you answer all of those questions 'yes', why then, I think your choice is very obvious as to whom you will vote for. If you don't agree, if you don't think that this course that we've been on for the last four years is what you would like to see us follow for the next four, then I could suggest another choice that you have."

How would you answer Reagan's questions today?
    11-05-2013 04:04 AM

"Are you better off now than you were four years ago? Is it easier for you to go and buy things in the stores than it was four years ago? Is there more or less unemployment in the country than there was four years ago? Is America as respected throughout the world as it was? Do you feel that our security is as safe, that we're as strong as we were four years ago? And if you answer all of those questions 'yes', why then, I think your choice is very obvious as to whom you will vote for. If you don't agree, if you don't think that this course that we've been on for the last four years is what you would like to see us follow for the next four, then I could suggest another choice that you have."

"No" to all, and unemployment is higher, especially if you count the people that have quit looking for jobs. It's probably around 11%.
    11-05-2013 07:18 AM

Hate to say this, but I'm sure all the replies you get here will be along party lines, no matter what people's real situation is.

Would be interesting to see answers that stray from the predictable though.

Signatures, shmignatures...
    11-05-2013 08:48 AM
    Yes. Without a doubt. I caught a break on insurance, I've paid off some debt and I have a better job.

This is throwing me back to Parks and Recreation.

✌SG3/iPad2
    11-05-2013 10:27 AM
    Yes, not sure, more, no, depends on what that question means.

- - - Updated - - -

If you answered, "is there less or more unemployment" with "yes", how does that tell me which party you'll vote for? Just tells me you didn't read the question
    Scott7217 likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:25 PM
    Am I better off now? I would say my personal situation is more related to my own decisions than government, though their are actions the government took that certainly didn't help matters. Specifically the DOT's involvement with my job. To the other questions, not sure about the unemployment questions, and the others could be up for debate.
    11-05-2013 03:10 PM
    Absolutely! Not because of the federal government but because North Dakota is spending major coin on highway projects. All thanks to a booming oil economy here. There's 3 jobs available to every person, and houses can't be built fast enough. Guess that's life In a boom town. I'll milk this boom for a few more years, then settle down with a family. Just gotta save up enough money to pay off my loans and get a good headstart.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-05-2013 10:37 PM
    Am I better off now? I would say my personal situation is more related to my own decisions than government, though their are actions the government took that certainly didn't help matters. Specifically the DOT's involvement with my job. To the other questions, not sure about the unemployment questions, and the others could be up for debate.
    New hours of service laws are making things very difficult for my drivers. We set up everything based on the old laws and now the math just doesn't work out.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-05-2013 10:46 PM
    The new HOS hasn't affected us too badly, but we have a lot of night drivers and that new reset rule affects them. And let's throw in the EPA and CARB while we're at it. Last study I heard was for 2011 year model trucks, and they had a 46% chance of major engine/driveline breakdown in the first year of ownership. A number that's been going up since the start of emission engines in 2004.
    11-05-2013 11:13 PM
    We operate almost exclusively at night on a 250-300 mile each way trip. The 168, 2x 1-5 and 30 min break all cost my drivers money (less runs per week) and cost us money due to needing more people to do the same amount of work.

The drivers are one group that make far less than they did 4 years ago and that's prior to inflation.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-05-2013 11:17 PM
    Last I heard Congress may be stepping in to revert the rules until the DOT completes its required studies on their effects (the ones that they should have done prior). So cross your fingers that this administration may do something after all to improve our lot. Just sucks they had to mess it up first.
    Aquila likes this.
    11-06-2013 12:59 AM