12-01-2013 10:21 AM
34 12
tools
    There's always a reason other than the obvious reasons to not consider a candidate. Their resume didn't stand out, someone else was more qualified, they don't have the "right" experience, etc. Proving discrimination is very, very difficult because hiring criteria and interview processes are immensely subjective. This is one case where just considering them equally isn't enough. All other things being equal, vets ought to be favored (IMO).

Assuming they come close to meeting the qualifications, my department pushes them to the top of the resume pile. My company is one of the best in the nation at reintroducing soldiers to the private sector (I think we're number 8, but I can fact check that if needed), and we only have about 14,000 employees total. That means that there are a TON of HUGE companies that are not going out of their way to help re-acclimate our soldiers, and that's somewhat disgusting because they can afford the training curve, if any, with much more ease than we can.
    Well said NothingIsTrue. Too bad there aren't more companies out there like your's. When I got out of the Air Force, I tried to get jobs and it was difficult to find a decent job. The company I work for now I accidentally found out that they were hiring when I was with a classmate looking at phones. As luck would have it, the District Manager was present.
    11-19-2013 04:58 PM
    I never said that it doesn't happen. I just asked if employers are allowed to discriminate against veterans. If it's illegal, then I expect a veteran can get a good lawyer and bring the prospective employer to court. If it wasn't illegal, I would support adding a law to protect our veterans.
    Are employers allowed to discriminate against veterans in the job market? I thought that was illegal.
    To me, it sounded like you were quite surprised that this happens.
    11-19-2013 06:48 PM
    To me, it sounded like you were quite surprised that this happens.
    I would be surprised if people treated veterans today like they treated Vietnam veterans. Again, it goes back to my comment about people spitting on Vietnam veterans returning at the airport. These days, I keep hearing people saying that they are grateful for the service of our veterans and that they are our real-life heroes. I'm sure bad things happen to veterans today, but I am hoping that they are not to the same degree as what was done in the past.

A little trivia: Service dogs in Vietnam were euthanized, so Vietnam was the only war where dogs never came home. Today, there are programs that allow civilians to adopt service dogs. The dog you see in your neighborhood could have been in Iraq sniffing for bombs in a combat zone. So we are treating even our canine veterans better than we did in Vietnam.
    11-19-2013 07:44 PM
    I would be surprised if people treated veterans today like they treated Vietnam veterans. Again, it goes back to my comment about people spitting on Vietnam veterans returning at the airport. These days, I keep hearing people saying that they are grateful for the service of our veterans and that they are our real-life heroes. I'm sure bad things happen to veterans today, but I am hoping that they are not to the same degree as what was done in the past.

A little trivia: Service dogs in Vietnam were euthanized, so Vietnam was the only war where dogs never came home. Today, there are programs that allow civilians to adopt service dogs. The dog you see in your neighborhood could have been in Iraq sniffing for bombs in a combat zone. So we are treating even our canine veterans better than we did in Vietnam.
    Well at least we're doing something right. You do have to remember the weapons that were used in Vietnam, agent orange and napalm weren't even known to be deadly. I would also call it the Vietnam Conflict, Congress never declared it as a war, just defense and stuff

Sent from Samsung Z1 GPE on T-Mobile
    11-19-2013 11:37 PM
    Well at least we're doing something right. You do have to remember the weapons that were used in Vietnam, agent orange and napalm weren't even known to be deadly. I would also call it the Vietnam Conflict, Congress never declared it as a war, just defense and stuff
    I can understand that Agent Orange might not have been recognized as a deadly substance in the beginning. It's a herbicide, and we used it in Vietnam to remove vegetation so that guerrillas had fewer places to hide. However, I think we knew napalm was deadly from the start. It's basically gasoline turned into an effective weapon against troops.
    11-20-2013 09:40 PM

Oh they will thank you to your face. As llamabreath said, these days it isn't literal spit these days though.

posted on my mobile device please excuse any errors
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-21-2013 05:14 PM
    Oh they will thank you to your face. As llamabreath said, these days it isn't literal spit these days though.
    So, where does the hatred towards veterans come from? If I disagreed with a particular military policy, I would direct it to those in command, including the president. I certainly wouldn't direct it towards veterans without cause.
    11-30-2013 04:13 AM
    Respect our soldiers and veterans! They have massive balls

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile
    11-30-2013 10:42 AM
    So, where does the hatred towards veterans come from? If I disagreed with a particular military policy, I would direct it to those in command, including the president. I certainly wouldn't direct it towards veterans without cause.
    Not everyone is like that though. Some blame the low ranking guys for the faults of the commanders or the war itself.
    12-01-2013 10:21 AM
34 12