01-31-2014 12:49 PM
204 ... 45678 ...
tools
    I am curious as to what state you reside in?

In FL, where I currently reside, a bicyclist is not allowed to take the center of a lane and stay there. FL state

In WA, where I'll be moving to in April, the law is the same. WA state

As an avid rider myself, I find more riders that haven't a clue than motorists. At one time, I was one of 'those riders'. 2 pins in each ankle, a right knee and hip replacement and a fused neck from C3-C7 has taught me just how stupid I was back then - both on my bikes and in my cars.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

Your links are bad but googling I found this.

bicyclist who is not traveling at the same speed of other traffic must ride in a designated bike lane (see Bike Lane Law Explained in the left tab menu) or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. A bicyclist may leave the right-most portion of the road in the following situations: when passing another vehicle moving in the same direction; when preparing for a left turn; when reasonably necessary to avoid any condition or potential conflict including, but not limited to, a fixed or moving object, parked or moving vehicle, pedestrian , animal, surface hazard, or turn lane; when a lane is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side.- See more at: Bicycle Traffic Law | Florida Bicycle Association
    Translation. If the lane is less than 12ft wide the center of the lane is acceptable and legal as at less than 12 ft wide it is impossible to safely pass a bike cycle in the same lane. At that point the entire right hand lane is legal to use so the correct and safest response is to do what is called take the lane. Ride dead center and remove the option of even passing in lane.
    That is a fairly standard wording of the law across most states.
    Make note that is only refering to less than 12ft wide. Sadly most highway lanes are less than 12 wide. So it is called take the lane for your safety as things in the center of the road are easier to be seen, and you remove idiots from trying to pass you in the same lane cutting the safety margin way to close. A car passing a bike at less than 3ft the draft they cause can suck the bike into the car.
    Commercial vehicles the min distance is 6ft.
    11-25-2013 04:23 PM
    It boggles my mind that this topic is still going. (in circles that is)
    Ive lived in a half dozen states over the years and drove a truck nationwide for over 10.... thankfully most cyclists don't follow your rule of driving dead center in the middle of a lane, but they stick to the far right side of the lane. This is safest method for everyone on the road when there isn't a designated bike lane. Their are idiots driving both bikes and cars, this will NEVER change and it's why people should always drive DEFENSIVELY.
    End of debate.

tap'n
    Fairclough and gamefreak715 like this.
    11-25-2013 04:47 PM
    It boggles my mind that this topic is still going. (in circles that is)
    Ive lived in a half dozen states over the years and drove a truck nationwide for over 10.... thankfully most cyclists don't follow your rule of driving dead center in the middle of a lane, but they stick to the far right side of the lane. This is safest method for everyone on the road when there isn't a designated bike lane. Their are idiots driving both bikes and cars, this will NEVER change and it's why people should always drive DEFENSIVELY.
    End of debate.

tap'n
    If cars would give me 3 ft and trucks give 6ft that would be different but I have found that most cars will cut it as close as possible if they are given an option to try to do it in lane. 18 wheelers tend to be better do give me the 6ft of room but a lot of states have the 6ft law on the books for them. This thread proves most motorist are pretty uneducated and hold cyclist responsible. Cars have a much greater responsibility but motorist do not understand that. It is ME first screw everyone else.

After almost getting hit more than once by idiots who do not under stand 3ft is the minimum amount of room I stop caring. I now force the issue and say CHANGE LANES. This is on a 2 lanes each way relatively quite road. After taking a mirror to my shoulder and other close calls in one ride I said screw it. It is amazing after I did that close calls dropped to near zero. Horn honking stayed the same but close calls dropped to zero and the idiots who honk well I have ridden that route enough to tell you which 5-6 cars it is going to be. Lane is maybe 10ft wide. Farm to market road. Kick it over to city streets in Houston same thing. Number of times an incompetent driver would lay on the horn no change. Number of close calls from idiots drops to near zero.

Btw the horn honking is because they do not want to change lanes to a clear and open lane. NO CARS. All they have to do is change lanes but the option to go in lane passing is removed and forced to say HELL NO.
    Chances are most of hte roads you drove on had lanes greater than 12ft. But 18 wheelers need to grant 6ft of room.

Sorry sorry that I force the issue. I have had a few close calls when I was trying to be nice be 2ft from the edge of the road and the ***** still tries to pass in lane instead of changing lanes.

You know why cyclist by in large are pretty hard line on this. It is because they have been out their and dealt with the idiots who do know understand the safety and been put at risk. After a few times it goes our safety trumps your convinces. Change lanes gives use our 3ft.

Now those roads with no should 1 lane each way I honestly tend to avoid them. Half the reason I do not ride my bike to work is a 2 mile stretch on one of those roads.
    11-25-2013 05:06 PM
    It is ME first screw everyone else.
    This is really all you had to say. We don't need a book to know you can sum this up in one sentence.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    11-25-2013 05:54 PM
    This is really all you had to say. We don't need a book to know you can sum this up in one sentence.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Oh but read the context. My safety trumps you not having to change lanes. But I forget you can not stand having to slow down and change lanes. If I wanted true me first it would be ride in the left lane because I have a turn 3 miles up. No I set in the right lane until I am about 1/4 of mile from the left turn and then it is when it is clear make the change and ride the rest of the way in the left lane.

But let's face it this thread proves most motorist do not know how to drive nor share the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    11-25-2013 06:04 PM
    Well when there are no PSA's regarding law changes on dealing with bikes and they simply just start showing up on roads, of course motorists won't know all the rules. Ever consider that fact as opposed to them simply ignoring the laws, as you say. And before you say, "they need to keep up with the laws," keep in mind how often and how many laws change. It's unreasonable to expect motorists to know laws like this have changed without any PSA and they are driving on roads designed strictly for cars and trucks, not cyclists. And when you are taking the lane, you do realise you could be cited for obstructing traffic. Given that fact, if you're rear ended, then you should be considered automatically at fault since you were breaking the law in the first place.
    11-25-2013 06:53 PM
    Well when there are no PSA's regarding law changes on dealing with bikes and they simply just start showing up on roads, of course motorists won't know all the rules. Ever consider that fact as opposed to them simply ignoring the laws, as you say. And before you say, "they need to keep up with the laws," keep in mind how often and how many laws change. It's unreasonable to expect motorists to know laws like this have changed without any PSA and they are driving on roads designed strictly for cars and trucks, not cyclists. And when you are taking the lane, you do realise you could be cited for obstructing traffic. Given that fact, if you're rear ended, then you should be considered automatically at fault since you were breaking the law in the first place.
    The sad part the laws on the books right now are not being enforced. It would really take a massive crack down and yes I will push for the auto at fault. It would change nothing for truckers as you stated before they already are blamed. But cars can stop getting off. Right now the only way a hit cyclist has any real chance to get justice is having video proof and even then it is flacky at best. And justice in a no death related would be as simple as getting medical and bike repair bills paid.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    11-25-2013 06:59 PM
    In short.
    Stick to the right (left in Australia)
    In a group two a shoulder. Only in the middle of the lane for roundabouts or changing lanes for a turn - prevents cars cutting on the inside forcing you into a car or curb.
    Drivers need to give room when over taking, look before turning (e.g. not to cut off) and avoid yelling abuse for no particular reason.

/ end of debate.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    11-25-2013 09:00 PM
    It boggles my mind that this topic is still going.
    Oh, I know how you feel. Every time I see this thread's title, Is it ok to kill cyclists? I have to fight the urge to prank this thread with a response that says:

Yes, it's perfectly ok to kill cyclists!

And maybe even go on gleefully for another paragraph about the joys and benefits, effective methods and strategies, and how to spot a cyclist in a group of ordinary people.

In fact, did you know most modern cyclists... no, I just can't do it, no matter how much fun it is. Darn!
    11-27-2013 08:25 PM
    Oh, I know how you feel. Every time I see this thread's title, Is it ok to kill cyclists? I have to fight the urge to prank this thread with a response that says:

Yes, it's perfectly ok to kill cyclists!

And maybe even go on gleefully for another paragraph about the joys and benefits, effective methods and strategies, and how to spot a cyclist in a group of ordinary people.

In fact, did you know most modern cyclists... no, I just can't do it, no matter how much fun it is. Darn!
    20 points if they wear a spandex suit.

40 points if they have on one of the long helmets that makes them look like alien.
    jdbii and Tall Mike 2145 like this.
    11-28-2013 02:57 PM

40 points if they have on one of the long helmets that makes them look like alien.

Plus cash
    11-28-2013 03:56 PM

Does hitting a pack get you a score multiplier equal to the number of cyclists taken out? 5 cyclists = 5X multiplier.
    11-28-2013 05:26 PM
    I laugh how people are 'passionate' about athletes on TV than when they train try to clean them out.

When a car tried going through our group we had 3 current male world athletes (2 senior 1 junior) 1 female (u/23) world athlete, 2 state reps and 1 former world rep and 3 other squad members.

I just find it funny that when their training cars try and basically kill them.

Over here we had a professional football player get hit by a car while cycling. He walked away. The car got towed. I found that funny too.

(By world I mean represented the country going to worlds - it's basically the Olympics in a non Olympic year)

11-28-2013 06:39 PM
    Does hitting a pack get you a score multiplier equal to the number of cyclists taken out? 5 cyclists = 5X multiplier.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Attached Thumbnails Is it ok to kill cyclists?-1385687016827.jpg  
    11-28-2013 07:03 PM
    I always try to ride when nobody from Android Forums is on the road.
    Fairclough, jdbii and NoYankees44 like this.
    11-28-2013 10:52 PM
    I ONLY RIDE PARK

Sent from HTC Note Ultra Pro on T-Mobile
    11-29-2013 09:50 AM
    It's not ok to kill cyclists or anyone for that matter but cyclists can really be a nuisance on the road in peak rush hour. You have to go so slow behind him that you almost stall because you got oncoming traffic in the opposite lane so you cannot overtake. Why cant all cyclists get mountain bikes, ride on the pavements and stay off the road. (it's only ok for them to cross roads, not use them when there's traffic) as cyclists always say, be considerate of us, so I say to them, be considerate of drivers.
    11-29-2013 12:47 PM
    I think honking the horn is a great way to alert cyclists that you're coming up behind them. Not sure why it's frowned upon. Laying on the horn is uncalled for, but a friendly tap of the horn a couple times makes perfect sense.

tap'n
    11-29-2013 07:55 PM
    How about a warning shot?
    11-29-2013 09:47 PM
    I think honking the horn is a great way to alert cyclists that you're coming up behind them. Not sure why it's frowned upon. Laying on the horn is uncalled for, but a friendly tap of the horn a couple times makes perfect sense.

tap'n
    If you did that in my country, they would either completely ignore it or swear and pull a zap at you. The drivers on our roads are already famous for that.
    11-30-2013 05:16 AM
    Tap is good. I enjoy when trucks do it in the hills. Like two quick ones is good, just like a warning for a big vehicle. Small cars on a not so busy road isn't needed.

I presume when people lay on the horn their just being knobs

11-30-2013 06:24 AM
    If you did that in my country, they would either completely ignore it or swear and pull a zap at you. The drivers on our roads are already famous for that.
    That says a lot. :banghead:

tap'n
    12-04-2013 12:42 PM
    If you want to share the road with 3500lb machines where the posted limit is 45mph and you can't hit 20 on your schwinn, get off the road! I pay for the toll roads in IL, I wouldn't drive a Honda Ruckus on the Kennedy without a death wish and tell every owner of a Hummer to stick it up their a@@.

My experience with the spandexed up Lance wanna be's who take to the roads is that they feel they are "Pedestrians" on their bikes and feel they have the right of way regardless. I have had numerous cyclists who jet out into a lane to get around a parked car, blow stop signs (not just roll through, but full on accelerate), disobey do no walk signs so I can tag them in the right hand turn lane. I have a 4000lb car, you have a 15lb schwinn, you might want to take responsibility of your own life and not put it in anyone else's hands.
    stalemate1 likes this.
    12-04-2013 01:57 PM

tap'n
    Honestly I am not a big fan of the horn being honk at. A quick tap is not going to **** me off and I am accepting it as they are alerting me to their presents so I am glad for that. Reason I am not a big fan of it is the horn tends to make me jump a little. Often times I do hear the car and am listening for a car. Horn I translate in my brain as WATCH OUT and I react as such. Now that being said quick tap does not tick me off and me jumping a little I translate as the driver is being nice and trying to warn me.

Now one who is laying on their horn or rev their engines well they have other issues and are well some rather works here that will be filtered out.
    12-04-2013 02:58 PM
    Pretty much explains every bicyclist.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4
    Attached Thumbnails Is it ok to kill cyclists?-1386206916522.jpg  
    stalemate1 and CR6 like this.
    12-04-2013 07:29 PM
204 ... 45678 ...