01-31-2014 12:49 PM
204 ... 56789
tools
    I still don't think that the thread title has actually been answered.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-21-2014 05:35 PM
    *does a triple back-flip off a bridge onto the 405*

*ignites lightsaber*

*starts chopping motorcyclists to pieces*

*sees an on-coming bus and uses the Force to flip it up onto an embankment*

*bus explodes, knocking another three motorcyclists off the road*

*turns to face camera*

"I'm Darth Maul, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to slaughter motorcyclists."

[off-camera voice] But what about that bus?

"Those were a bunch of Justin Bieber fans going to see the house he egged. Trust me, I did this planet a favor just then."
    01-22-2014 08:49 AM
    Nope. But sadly it seems to be that way. In Houston in the past 45 days we have had 3 cyclist killed. No punishment.
    A friend of mine was hit by a car and his leg got broken. Cop blamed him. Even though all the evidence says other wise. He was hit from behind, no skid marks from the car oh and him and his bike was still in the right lane were he started in. Cop does nothing but issue him a ticket.

So yeah something needs to give and it is the motorist need to take some more responsibility and understand they are driving a 3k+ lb object and with that privilege comes a lot of responsiblity. Hence the reason why I am all for the larger vehicle at fault as cops seem unable to judge fault correctly. They start with the assume that it is the cyclist fault (reality is it is 50/50). Change the assumsion.
    Another guy I know got hit from behind and had massive head trama. The guy who hit him admit that he was following the curb line as he could not see very well. Looking deeper it was found out this guy should not be legally driving. No citation issued at all until city hall ordered one issued months later. A slap on the wrist would at least force the auto insurance to pay for the medical bills. It took fighting just to get that done when their was no question who was at fault, the cops did nothing and then the auto insurance fought having to pay up.
    01-22-2014 11:19 AM
    New York Times Opinion

As a cyclist I find this very said. I have seen this article going around the internet today and the response to it are even sadder.
    I find that many motorist who complain by in larger are uneducated and do not understand the laws. Followed by they can not be bothered to deal with the entire 10-15 secs it MIGHT slow them down. I have had guys try to run me off the road. This is a road with 2 lanes going in each direction. NO OTHER CARS and yet some how because they HAD to change lanes they went nuts tried to almost hit me.

Also before someone complains about cyclist in the middle the lane. The reason experiences ones do that is we have almost been hit far to many times by idiots tried to pass us in the same lane. Dead center of the lane more often that not forces the issue and removes the option of trying to pass us in the same lane. The motorist does a lane changes and gives us the 3ft min room we need for safety. Oh and the common YOU DO NOT PAY ROAD TAXES counter. Guess what most of us own a car and most of the roads we ride on are not funded by gas tax. They are funded by sales, and property tax which we all do pay.
    I agree that if the driver is at fault, they should be prosecuted just as if they had hit a car and killed someone. It is vehicular manslaugher.
    However, and I know this will vary greatly by region, there are a TON of cycilists in my area that do not follow the rules of the road and ride in an unpredictable fasion. Thing like turning without a hand signal, riding against the flow of traffic, not using the bike lane that is available to them, turning from the wrong lane, and coasting through stop signs and stop lights are all extremely common. If you coast through a stop sign making an unsignled right hand turn and I hit you because I was going straight into that same lane and expected you to stop at the stop sign and hit you, that isn't my fault (which has almost happened to me).

Finally, there are things that are just a bad idea that cyclists should be careful of that can result in accidents. Don't ride in a car's blind spot. You are small and fit entirely in the blindspot of many vehicles. Either slow down and follow at a safe distance or pass quickly when possible.
    01-23-2014 11:42 AM

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    I am thinking the same thing. I keep seeing this thread title and am surprised by the long discussion.

The answer is ..... NO.

Posted via Android Central App
    msndrstood and Aquila like this.
    01-24-2014 05:36 AM
    I am thinking the same thing. I keep seeing this thread title and am surprised by the long discussion.

The answer is ..... NO.

Posted via Android Central App
    Dammit

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-25-2014 12:15 PM
    No its not okay to kill cyclists I ride my bike everywhere, and yeah fair enough I might ride down the street on one wheel reading a newspaper but still its no excuse to kill me lol....

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..
    01-25-2014 12:33 PM
    When I go visit my parents in the sticks, there is about a 20 mile stretch that I am required to navigate in order to visit them. It's a 2 lane blacktop (one lane each way) that has no shoulder. There is a yellow line that marks the end of the car lane, about 2 inches, then it just drops off into a 5 foot ditch. The speed limit of this road is 55 MPH. For the life of me I don't understand why the cyclists have decided to ride this stretch of road on an ongoing basis. Considering these cyclists don't generally reach speeds even approaching the speed limit, I wish they would find a safer road. The worse part is the roads are very curvy and since there is a lot of local construction, there's generally 1 18-wheeler for every 4 cars that travel down that road.

While I believe we need to share roads with fellow cyclists, some roads don't need the extra menace of a 15 MPH cyclist, or pedestrians for that matter. I don't see many cyclists on the 12 lane interstate that I commute to and from work.
    01-25-2014 06:25 PM

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Don't be silly, of course it's ok . Especially bicycle couriers. (Unless they're unionized)
    01-25-2014 06:49 PM
    Delete double
    01-25-2014 06:51 PM
    Delete double

I vote the 1st one be deleted......
    01-25-2014 09:05 PM
    I vote the 1st one be deleted......
    because I was so serious right? Want a kleenex, Perez?
    01-26-2014 08:09 AM
    *does a triple back-flip off a bridge onto the 405*

*ignites lightsaber*

*starts chopping motorcyclists to pieces*

*sees an on-coming bus and uses the Force to flip it up onto an embankment*

*bus explodes, knocking another three motorcyclists off the road*

*turns to face camera*

"I'm Darth Maul, and I think it's perfectly acceptable to slaughter motorcyclists."

[off-camera voice] But what about that bus?

"Those were a bunch of Justin Bieber fans going to see the house he egged. Trust me, I did this planet a favor just then."
    Best post ever!
    Hahaha
    ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜‚

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    01-26-2014 08:41 AM
    That being said, cyclists on roads without a dedicated cycle lane annoy the heck out of me. Neighborhoods is one thing, but cyclist on highways and other high traffic roads is just plane idiotic. If at any point you slow a motorist down, then you deserve all the ill feelings you get. But this goes for any vehicle that consistently goes well under the speed limit for whatever reason, not just cyclists.

Cyclist also do assume a certain amount of risk on public roads. Sometimes accidents do happen, and if you were the one that chose to be on the road filled with 3000lb+ cars going at excessive speeds riding a bike... well you get the idea.

On the way to my old job, there was this fat (insert intelligence insulting name here) that chose to ride his bike on a busy high way during morning rush hour while constantly weaving over the shoulder line into direct traffic despite there being a 5 ft+ wide shoulder for him to use. The he would get pissed off when people honked and got close to him. If i ever here about this man getting hit, punishing the motorist will be far from my first thought. "You cant fix stupid"
    I completely agree!

I've encounter many cyclists on public, narrow roads, they annoy the heck out of all of us driving there!

The worse thing is, most of this people live in a neighborhood big enough to use their bikes around there.

But they're so stubborn they want to go out there where the cars are.

Roads were made for cars, not bicycles!

01-26-2014 08:57 AM
    because I was so serious right? Want a kleenex, Perez?
    Yes because you were so serious, but mostly because you failed to recognize my sarcasm at your sarcasm..... (Oh and because I like quoting "delete double post" posts cause that's how I roll... )
    01-26-2014 10:25 AM
    That being said, cyclists on roads without a dedicated cycle lane annoy the heck out of me. Neighborhoods is one thing, but cyclist on highways and other high traffic roads is just plane idiotic. If at any point you slow a motorist down, then you deserve all the ill feelings you get. But this goes for any vehicle that consistently goes well under the speed limit for whatever reason, not just cyclists.

Cyclist also do assume a certain amount of risk on public roads. Sometimes accidents do happen, and if you were the one that chose to be on the road filled with 3000lb+ cars going at excessive speeds riding a bike... well you get the idea.

On the way to my old job, there was this fat (insert intelligence insulting name here) that chose to ride his bike on a busy high way during morning rush hour while constantly weaving over the shoulder line into direct traffic despite there being a 5 ft+ wide shoulder for him to use. The he would get pissed off when people honked and got close to him. If i ever here about this man getting hit, punishing the motorist will be far from my first thought. "You cant fix stupid"
    I completely agree!

I've encounter many cyclists on public, narrow roads, they annoy the heck out of all of us driving there!

The worse thing is, most of this people live in a neighborhood big enough to use their bikes around there.

I completely DISAGREE.....mostly because he said "plane" instead of "plain" and then followed it up with "idiotic".....

Is it ok to kill cyclists?-hugemanatee_original.jpg
    01-26-2014 10:31 AM
    I completely DISAGREE.....mostly because he said "plane" instead of "plain" and then followed it up with "idiotic".....

Click image for larger version.ย 

Name:	hugemanatee_original.jpgย 
Views:	18ย 
Size:	277.5 KBย 
ID:	102188
    I figured auto correct messed up. But you did get it!

01-26-2014 04:44 PM
    Its not right for a motorist to kill a cyclist but i would hate to live in a world where in accidents between the two the motorist is always fighting vehicular manslaughter charges. Even when a cyclist is obeying laws and doing the right thing they pose an unusual obstacle for a motorist especially where the road is unfavorable to cyclists.
    01-26-2014 05:13 PM
    I'm not sure about killing cyclists. But sometimes I really want to hurt them!

01-26-2014 05:20 PM
    I completely agree!

Tell you the truth problem with neighborhood is they are not able to handle cyclist at speed. Speeds being 20-30 mph.
    On top of that they are not large enough for cyclist. A short ride is 20-30 miles. I do not know of many neighborhoods that you can get 20-30 miles in much less then 60-70 miles of a longer ride.

Now that is just of working out rides. Neighborhoods streets can not be used from getting to point A to Point B. You have to hit the main roads.

The same properties that make roads for cars guess what generally make the roads good for cycling. As pointed out before most people who complain are doing it for self entitled reasons by the OMG I have to slow down for 30 secs for a clear spot to pass. Or one of my favorite ones that someone flipped out on. They had to change lanes. OH THE HUMANITY. They had to change lanes.

I will tell you main cyclist like those farther out roads because generally traffic is lighter on them. The roads are generally fairly smooth and have thing like hills for working out. It is healthier.
    01-26-2014 06:30 PM
    Tell you the truth problem with neighborhood is they are not able to handle cyclist at speed. Speeds being 20-30 mph.
    On top of that they are not large enough for cyclist. A short ride is 20-30 miles. I do not know of many neighborhoods that you can get 20-30 miles in much less then 60-70 miles of a longer ride.

Now that is just of working out rides. Neighborhoods streets can not be used from getting to point A to Point B. You have to hit the main roads.

The same properties that make roads for cars guess what generally make the roads good for cycling. As pointed out before most people who complain are doing it for self entitled reasons by the OMG I have to slow down for 30 secs for a clear spot to pass. Or one of my favorite ones that someone flipped out on. They had to change lanes. OH THE HUMANITY. They had to change lanes.

I will tell you main cyclist like those farther out roads because generally traffic is lighter on them. The roads are generally fairly smooth and have thing like hills for working out. It is healthier.
    I get that! Cyclists just do it for sport most of the time.

We drive to work or to get the kids to a doctors appointment, buy groceries, etc. Important reasons!

01-26-2014 09:03 PM
    I get that! Cyclists just do it for sport most of the time.

We drive to work or to get the kids to a doctors appointment, buy groceries, etc. Important reasons!

Ok and the answer to that is OMG you have be delayed 30 secs. If you are late due to 30 seconds then you have bigger problems and clearly planned poorly.
    Maybe this is an example of why the US is so fat and over weight. Because you know people working out is important as well to their health.
    01-26-2014 09:58 PM
    Ok and the answer to that is OMG you have be delayed 30 secs. If you are late due to 30 seconds then you have bigger problems and clearly planned poorly.
    Maybe this is an example of why the US is so fat and over weight. Because you know people working out is important as well to their health.
    I'm loving how you equate every legitimate complaint to "OMG I was delayed 30 seconds!" Most issues that have been posted are safety related.

Btw, you can get the same workout in a gym or even at home on a stationary bike. Kinda hard to get to work in a stationary car.
    STARGATE likes this.
    01-26-2014 10:34 PM
    To the topic I say no. It is however perfectly acceptable to suddenly open the car door in front of them.

:-P
    STARGATE likes this.
    01-26-2014 10:36 PM
    I'm loving how you equate every legitimate complaint to "OMG I was delayed 30 seconds!" Most issues that have been posted are safety related.

Btw, you can get the same workout in a gym or even at home on a stationary bike. Kinda hard to get to work in a stationary car.
    yeah they did. Most of them could be summed up with this. Drivers choose not to pay attention or driving to fast for the current road conditions and then complaining about having to slow down and drive defensively (something you should be doing any how)

It gotten kick up for me more recently as we have had multiple cyclist killed or nearly killed in Houston in the past money and no one is punished. Oh yeah and most of them were either heading to or from work oh and had lights.

It is pathetic. Police are not doing basic enforcement of current laws. If you look at punishment it takes pulling teeth just to get slaps on the wrist in terms of tickets. Tickets that would make collecting insurance money easier. This includes when the motorist should not even be allowed to drive due to they lack the ability. So yeah if you look at how law enforcement is acting it seems to be OK.

Due to the lack of law enforcement you are right I fully support a law going in place that would say larger vehicle is assumed at fault unless proven otherwise. For 18 wheeler driver it would not change anything as cops always seem to assume you all are at fault (your own words Moon) but it would change things for cyclist and pedestrians hit. FOr cyclist it might OMG push the at fault to the 50/50 marker like it really is in terms of law enforcement.

Texas recently did one thing right but still has a way to go. The one thing right was if you kill anyone in a hit and run the punishment is worse than if you were drunk and did it as it turns out guess what most people were drunk.
    The other thing they need to do in a hit and run is automatic loss of DL for a year for the first offence.
    01-26-2014 10:54 PM
204 ... 56789