12-01-2013 04:09 PM
70 123
tools
    While I realize that 99% of the politicians out there are cut from the same cloth; the Republicans (imo) seem to try to offer more in less government (laissez faire) than Democrats (more control over YOU, by way of deceitful means).

Why wouldn't you prefer freedom over government control? For instance; why PENALIZE people that would rather be self-reliant than depend on government?
    plumbrich and cdmjlt369 like this.
    11-19-2013 07:32 PM
    Why wouldn't you prefer freedom over government control? For instance; why PENALIZE people that would rather be self-reliant than depend on government?
    Because people are growing up not being taught the value of self worth and the satisfaction of getting up, leaving the cave, killing something, and dragging it back home.
    cdmjlt369 and plumbrich like this.
    11-19-2013 08:20 PM
    There's gotta be taxes. It makes a community work. To think otherwise would be foolish. Now, the extent of those taxes I believe should be minimal enough to keeping things working properly. Any additional spending needs to be approved in local referendums or worked into a budget. I view taxes as sort of a membership dues to society- dues can't go up without members' approval. There's no reason any state should have a deficit. Either raise your dues (taxes) or lower spending. At least one has to give. I've given up hope on a federal government working properly anymore. In my opinion they are only for protection: military, health, free trade, law enforcement. Anything else I feel that the states should have say over.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-26-2013 01:01 AM
    And who would pay for the stuff which is 'free' e.g. nationally defence, police, fire fighters, emergency ambulance drivers, national parks, public fountains, toilets, education, roads, rail, post service, libraries, public transport, public housing,, waste management, water supply network.

If this was all supply and demand you can bet large companies would have a monopoly on basic services. bottled water is what $2, I bet if it wasnt government assisted and just private industry your showers would be expensive.

Maybe we should charge someone for calling the police saying their neighbour is being robbed? Or charge them for fire fighters to attend. Most public transport runs at a loss... Supply v demand... Enjoy the cost of new ticket prices! I enjoy public parks...maybe they should just become over grown grass. Let sewage accumulate in backyards, let the lower economic groups go completely uneducated and have more living on the street.

You see the government does little things most don't think of to male society operate smoother. Its often these most over look. Yeah it costs more but I can guarantee that its cheaper when the gov does it rather than a monopoly.

Fun fact; on average it costs the state $20,000 a year to educate a high school student. Supply and demand this and I can bet not many would be attending school. This is also why governments contribute to private schools are it works out cheaper for the government to give let's say private school $5000 per student rather than pay $20,000.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    11-26-2013 06:20 AM
    Maybe we should charge someone for calling the police saying their neighbour is being robbed? Or charge them for fire fighters to attend.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    It's already being done in many towns across America & Canada -
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...or+protection+

(⊙_⊙) I think people that take the time out of their day (or night) to think of some clever, memorable or just plain dumb signature probably have way too much time on their collective hands and they should get back to work and earn their paycheck, instead of just expecting their paycheck. People like this make me sick to my stomach.
    11-26-2013 06:49 AM
    And here are the consequences of not paying the fire department -
    http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...ire+department

(⊙_⊙) I think people that take the time out of their day (or night) to think of some clever, memorable or just plain dumb signature probably have way too much time on their collective hands and they should get back to work and earn their paycheck, instead of just expecting their paycheck. People like this make me sick to my stomach.
    11-26-2013 07:14 AM
    Let us consider the case of a hypothetical person. This person grows up, becomes an adult, and says "I don't wish to be taxed. I didn't vote for taxation, and I refuse to be bound by laws for which I did not vote nor to which I gave my consent."

How would you folks respond to such a person? Assume that beyond being willing to discuss the matter, they were also willing to acceed to whatever means was required to protect and defend their position.
    11-26-2013 11:23 AM
    Let us consider the case of a hypothetical person. This person grows up, becomes an adult, and says "I don't wish to be taxed. I didn't vote for taxation, and I refuse to be bound by laws for which I did not vote nor to which I gave my consent."

How would you folks respond to such a person? Assume that beyond being willing to discuss the matter, they were also willing to acceed to whatever means was required to protect and defend their position.
    Wasn't Timothy McVeigh one of those people?

11-26-2013 11:25 AM
    While I realize that 99% of the politicians out there are cut from the same cloth; the Republicans (imo) seem to try to offer more in less government (laissez faire) than Democrats (more control over YOU, by way of deceitful means).

GOP for less government only applies if you are Male, straight and ultra Christian. Otherwise they are all for suppressing your rights.
    11-26-2013 02:20 PM
    GOP for less government only applies if you are Male, straight and ultra Christian. Otherwise they are all for suppressing your rights.
    Example?

I guess the liberals are pretty indiscriminate when taking everyone's rights away...
    11-27-2013 06:52 AM
    In this scenario since nothing is truly free I will always take freedom. Everything that the government gives away for free costs us either in taxes or lost freedoms or both.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    11-27-2013 08:06 AM
    It has been my experience and observation that in their never ending drive for equality and tolerance, liberals have become the most intolerant group out there. Any opinion opposite of theirs are vilified in the most brutal and vicious manner possible. Martin Bashir, Bill Maher, and Keith Oberman are the clearest examples I can think of. Talk about a bully pulpit, those three are the biggest abusers.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    mrsmumbles and plumbrich like this.
    11-27-2013 08:14 AM
    Example?

I guess the liberals are pretty indiscriminate when taking everyone's rights away...
    They are against allowing gay marriage, they are often against women's rights (not just abortion), they are against afrimative action, they are against public assitance (which goes largely to minorities), they did everything they could to try and prove Obama wasn't born in America. Do you want more examples?

Anyone who thinks the GOP is for freedom and the Democrats are against it has drunk so much GOP kool aid they must pee red.

The Republican party fully supports every American's right to die poor, hungry, and sick unless they are in the 30-40% of our population who is able to earn a comfortable living.

I'm not a big fan of either political party, but the only one of the two that is doing actual harm to America and Americans is the Republican party.
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-27-2013 08:58 AM
    They are against allowing gay marriage, they are often against women's rights (not just abortion), they are against afrimative action, they are against public assitance (which goes largely to minorities), they did everything they could to try and prove Obama wasn't born in America. Do you want more examples?

Anyone who thinks the GOP is for freedom and the Democrats are against it has drunk so much GOP kool aid they must pee red.

The Republican party fully supports every American's right to die poor, hungry, and sick unless they are in the 30-40% of our population who is able to earn a comfortable living.

I'm not a big fan of either political party, but the only one of the two that is doing actual harm to America and Americans is the Republican party.
    But which party has been racking up trillions in national debt the past 5 years? I hated GW Bush; I hate Obama even more.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    11-27-2013 09:24 AM
    1) They are against allowing gay marriage, 2) they are often against women's rights (not just abortion), 3) they are against afrimative action, 4) they are against public assitance (which goes largely to minorities), 5) they did everything they could to try and prove Obama wasn't born in America.
    1) Marriage, by definition, is between a man and a woman. Not a man and a man, man and a firetruck, nor a man and a sidewalk.

2) What rights are women lacking today?

3) Do you really think affirmative action helps minorities? How?

4) They are against ABUSE of public assistance (which is something we should all be against, don't you think?)

5) What's wrong with that? There are certain prerequisites that a person must possess in order to be POTUS. If he were pure white, but born in another country, the same issue should've been raised.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-27-2013 09:27 AM
    And it isn't minorities mostly on public assistance. I don't know if that was ever true but now the statistics are something like 47% of people on food stamps?

And when the Republicans do get their hand in the economy the national median income rises.

Under Obama income has dropped and now inflation is beginning.

11-27-2013 09:27 AM

Gay marriage: I could see the argument. Religious and moral reasons aside, there is a LOT logistical consequences that go along with legalizing gay marriage on a national level that the activists always ignore. That is the real reason it has not happened yet. States have rights too.

Women's rights? How? Not making tax payers pay for women's birth control? lol

Affirmative action is nothing other than reverse discrimination. Companies should be able to hire the BEST employees without having to worry about ethnicity or "numbers". Isn't that what the civil rights movement was about? EQUAL rights. Not privileged rights.

Entitlements: Not really relevant unless you are so liberal that you think that the wealthy completely supporting the finances of those under them is a "right"

Obama Born Somewhere Else: Has nothing to do with the conversation or rights.

Everyone has a right to be poor and hungry if they choose to be. The difference is that Conservatives want to create an environment that anyone can succeed in if they work hard and are smart. The liberals want an environment where the economy goes to crap because businesses and the "rich" cannot be successful because they are too busy paying for people that could support themselves(if they chose to) but don't because it is easier to just depend on the government. That way they have the majority of people dependent on the government and thus guaranteed votes.

Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. Give a man free healthcare, food stamps, welfare check, cell phone, and housing, and he will vote democrat forever.

I hate both parties as well. The difference is The Dems try to get into my personal life more so than the GOP. To even imply that they dont is utter ignorance. I just want the government to stop using my money to destroy the economy and stay out of my personal life. Anything that I do that does not hurt someone else is of no concern to you or anyone else. If i want to have an army's worth of assault weapons in my house and buying 80 ounce big gulps while eating food without nutritional information on it and riding a bicycle without a helmet, I should be able to. And no government should be able to say anything about it.
    mrsmumbles and plumbrich like this.
    11-27-2013 09:38 AM
    1) Marriage, by definition, is between a man and a woman. Not a man and a man, man and a firetruck, nor a man and a sidewalk.
    That is a religous definition, not a legal one. Religion and government are supposed to be seperate in our country, correct?
    2) What rights are women lacking today?
    Equal pay to name one. Women still generally have lower salaries compared to a man in the same position
    3) Do you really think affirmative action helps minorities? How?
    Yes. It keeps institutions from barring minorities by claiming they only choose the most qualified candidates and that those cadidates all happen to be white. In college for example, due to some questions that are based in culture more than eduaction, some minorites have a harder time with the SAT. It is not due to them being less intelligent, but from cultural differnces. Affirmitive action gives these individuals a shot at a college they otherwise would not have had due to their culture.

4) They are against ABUSE of public assistance (which is something we should all be against, don't you think?)
    That is what they say, but their actions suggest that they are against public assitance at all. I guess it comes down to your definition of abuse. I don't think that keeping cost of living adjustments in line with inflation is abuse, but the GOP does I guess.
    5) What's wrong with that? There are certain prerequisites that a person must possess in order to be POTUS. If he were pure white, but born in another country, the same issue should've been raised.
    Thats all well and good, and if the oposition had died once he provided his birth certificate, I wouldn't say a word. Unfortunately it didn't. They went on to claim it wasn't an authentic birth certificate and kept it up through the whole election when any reasonable person could see that the issue had been settled.
    11-27-2013 09:40 AM

Give a man free healthcare...
    The United States is the only fully industrialized democratic (as in democracy, not political affiliation) nation that does not recognize health care as a basic human right and provide it to every citizen. We are in the wrong on this issue.

Anything that I do that does not hurt someone else is of no concern to you or anyone else. If i want to have an army's worth of assault weapons in my house and buying 80 ounce big gulps while eating food without nutritional information on it and riding a bicycle without a helmet, I should be able to. And no government should be able to say anything about it.
    Assault weapons, I disagree. If you want to hunt or protect your own home, I fully support that. Right to bare arms =/= and was never intended to mean absolutely unregulated gun ownership for the masses.
    80 ounce big gulps, fine by me. I agree no one should tell you not to.
    Food without nutrition labels. I completely disagree. The information should be there for anyone who wants to read it to read. If you want to ignore it, that is 100% fine, but it should be there. Including what is in the food (and wether or not it was genetically modified).
    There is no national helmet law. In my state if you are over 18, ride with no helmet as much as you like.
    Everyone has a right to be poor and hungry if they choose to be.
    Poverty can be an unexcable cycle. It isn't a choice for the vast majority of the poor. If your parents raised you poorly so you started off life on the wrong foot (no concept of saving money or valuing education for example) and you decide you want to better your self later, great. But how are you supposed to find time to get an education and a better job when you have to work two jobs just to keep a roof over your families head and food on the table, much less find money for health insurance. If you are born into poverty, it isn't as simple as "choosing" that you aren't going to be poor. Yes there are success stories of people who managed to pull it off, but they are the exception, not the rule.

The difference is that Conservatives want to create an environment that anyone can succeed in if they work hard and are smart.
    If that is something you honestly believe, the wool is pulled so far over your eyes that you probaly won't listen to a word anyone else has to say. The people in charge of the Republican party (which is who leads the conservatives in America) wants to create an environment where everyone thinks they can succeed, but will actually preserve their own wealth, no matter the expense to those less fortunate than them.
    11-27-2013 09:59 AM
    1) That is a religous definition, not a legal one. Religion and government are supposed to be seperate in our country, correct?

2) Equal pay to name one. Women still generally have lower salaries compared to a man in the same position

3) Yes. It keeps institutions from barring minorities by claiming they only choose the most qualified candidates and that those cadidates all happen to be white. In college for example, due to some questions that are based in culture more than eduaction, some minorites have a harder time with the SAT. It is not due to them being less intelligent, but from cultural differnces. Affirmitive action gives these individuals a shot at a college they otherwise would not have had due to their culture.

4) That is what they say, but their actions suggest that they are against public assitance at all. I guess it comes down to your definition of abuse. I don't think that keeping cost of living adjustments in line with inflation is abuse, but the GOP does I guess.

5) Thats all well and good, and if the oposition had died once he provided his birth certificate, I wouldn't say a word. Unfortunately it didn't. They went on to claim it wasn't an authentic birth certificate and kept it up through the whole election when any reasonable person could see that the issue had been settled.
    1) It'll never ever be separate for as long as 'In God We Trust' is printed on every cent of the government's money.

2) Not these days (my wife can vouch for this).

3) Regarding affirmative action; why should any minority even get up and out of bed to go to school to get some education if they're already guaranteed a career? They could just stay home and do nothing... become a vegetable until the time comes to support a family. That's fantastic!

4) We all know there's abuse and nobody can deny it.

5) "Settled" is a matter of opinion.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-27-2013 10:05 AM
    The United States is the only fully industrialized democratic (as in democracy, not political affiliation) nation that does not recognize health care as a basic human right and provide it to every citizen. We are in the wrong on this issue.

Assault weapons, I disagree. If you want to hunt or protect your own home, I fully support that. Right to bare arms =/= and was never intended to mean absolutely unregulated gun ownership for the masses.
    80 ounce big gulps, fine by me. I agree no one should tell you not to.
    Food without nutrition labels. I completely disagree. The information should be there for anyone who wants to read it to read. If you want to ignore it, that is 100% fine, but it should be there. Including what is in the food (and wether or not it was genetically modified).
    There is no national helmet law. In my state if you are over 18, ride with no helmet as much as you like.

Poverty can be an unexcable cycle. It isn't a choice for the vast majority of the poor. If your parents raised you poorly so you started off life on the wrong foot (no concept of saving money or valuing education for example) and you decide you want to better your self later, great. But how are you supposed to find time to get an education and a better job when you have to work two jobs just to keep a roof over your families head and food on the table, much less find money for health insurance. If you are born into poverty, it isn't as simple as "choosing" that you aren't going to be poor. Yes there are success stories of people who managed to pull it off, but they are the exception, not the rule.

If that is something you honestly believe, the wool is pulled so far over your eyes that you probaly won't listen to a word anyone else has to say. The people in charge of the Republican party (which is who leads the conservatives in America) wants to create an environment where everyone thinks they can succeed, but will actually preserve their own wealth, no matter the expense to those less fortunate than them.
    We should be striving to make the exception(which is not really the exception honestly) the rule. Instead we are punishing the exception and forcing them into the rule.

Conservative=\=Republican
    Thinking that is pure ignorance and blind hatred for an ideology you don't understand. The GOP leaders are moderates and above all else politicians. They only try to appeal to conservatives to preserve their own seats. There is no one better for conservatives to vote for and they know it. A conservative voting in this country is like choosing between getting shot in the chest or in the foot. One is probably death(democrat) while the other is painful and crippling(GOP), but you are going to live long enough to maybe have a better choice next time.
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-27-2013 10:14 AM
    1) It'll never ever be separate for as long as 'In God We Trust' is printed on every cent of the government's money.

2) Not these days (my wife can vouch for this).

3) Regarding affirmative action; why should any minority even get up and out of bed to go to school to get some education if they're already guaranteed a career? They could just stay home and do nothing... become a vegetable until the time comes to support a family. That's fantastic!

4) We all know there's abuse and nobody can deny it.

5) "Settled" is a matter of opinion.
    1) That phrase was added to money in 1957 (or there abouts) and was added to the Pledge of Aligence around the same time. It was not a founding principle of this country. Seperation of church and state was however a founding principle of this country.
    2) One person's personal experience doesn't disprove the numbers. Ten Things You Didn’t Know About The Gender Gap | TIME.com
    3) There is a HUGE difference between your statement and what affirmative action does. I'm not even going to respond beyond that your statement is so ridiculous.
    4) Never said there wasn't, just differing opinions on what qualifies as abuse (and thus how big the abuse problem is)
    5) No, settled isn't a matter of opinion. Settled is when the facts have all been and a conclusion can be reached. Just because there are still people arguing/complaining about something doesn't mean the matter isn't settled. When a parent tells a child they aren't getting candy and pays for the groceries, the matter is settled but that doesn't stop the child from throwing a tantrum and telling their parents to buy them candy.
    11-27-2013 10:25 AM
    We should be striving to make the exception(which is not really the exception honestly) the rule. Instead we are punishing the exception and forcing them into the rule.

Conservative=\=Republican
    Thinking that is pure ignorance and blind hatred for an ideology you don't understand. The GOP leaders are moderates and above all else politicians. They only try to appeal to conservatives to preserve their own seats. There is no one better for conservatives to vote for and they know it. A conservative voting in this country is like choosing between getting shot in the chest or in the foot. One is probably death(democrat) while the other is painful and crippling(GOP), but you are going to live long enough to maybe have a better choice next time.
    I understand conservatism very, very well. I was a conservative for 15 years. My opinions changed as I got older, more educated, and less selfish. There is a reason that the more educated you are, the less likely you are to be a conservative. Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ - CNN.com High IQ = Liberal, Atheist, Monogamous Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine
    msndrstood likes this.
    11-27-2013 10:32 AM
    I understand conservatism very, very well. I was a conservative for 15 years. My opinions changed as I got older, more educated, and less selfish. There is a reason that the more educated you are, the less likely you are to be a conservative. Liberalism, atheism, male sexual exclusivity linked to IQ - CNN.com High IQ = Liberal, Atheist, Monogamous Are Liberals Smarter Than Conservatives? — The American Magazine
    That's an arrogant statement. I was a leftie much of my life until I learned how the world really works.

11-27-2013 10:37 AM
    That's an arrogant statement. I was a leftie much of my life until I learned how the world really works.

Arrogant or not, its backed up by study after study.
    11-27-2013 10:41 AM
70 123