12-09-2013 07:20 PM
71 123
tools
    A study of the relative coverage devoted to two stories recently, Obamacare and the Phillipines typhoon, shows a remarkable pattern in the amount of air time devoted to the stories:

"The two channels with strong ideological identities in prime-timeliberal MSBNC and conservative Fox Newsspent far more time on the politically-charged health insurance story than the overseas disaster. And the two organizations that built a brand on global reportingCNN and Al Jazeera America, an offshoot of the Qatar-based Al Jazeera media networkspent considerably more time on the tragedy in the Philippines.
    The differences in the amount of coverage of each story on Fox News and MSNBC were striking. In the sample studied, MSNBC devoted three hours and eight minutes to the issues surrounding Obamacare, about four times as much as the Philippines typhoon garnered (41 minutes). On Fox, the differences were even greater. In the sample studied, the channel devoted almost eight hours to the health care drama and six minutes to the aftermath of the typhoon. That translates into nearly 80 times more coverage of the health insurance story than the typhoon." [boldface added]

Four times more coverage of Obamacare than the Phillipines from MSNBC, but eighty times more coverage from Fox!! They report, you decide, fair and balanced!!

Of course, it's true that for American audiences, their health insurance situation is a bit more pressing than a storm out in the ocean, but not eighty times more pressing:

Philippines Disaster Draws Limited Interest, Donations | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

And you wonder why MSNBC is consider poor and Fox is known as fake news.
    11-26-2013 09:38 AM
    And Ron Paul was accused of being an isolationist... Yeah, right.
    11-26-2013 11:13 AM
    I seriously think that the news channels should deliver news without slant or opinion, because otherwise it's not necessarily facts, which news is supposed to be by definition.
    11-26-2013 11:55 AM
    And the point is? I'll bet there's model train news outlets that devoted zero coverage to either subject. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

With all the information sources available, there's no need to expect everyone to cover the same stuff for the same amount of time, if at all.
    11-26-2013 07:55 PM
    I forget if it's the second or third episode of The Newsroom, first season, which gives a very good explanation for this, actually.

It has become one of my all-time favorite TV shows, and is my current TV favorite.
    11-27-2013 07:52 PM
    With all the information sources available, there's no need to expect everyone to cover the same stuff for the same amount of time, if at all.
    That's true. If people don't like one news outlet, they can go somewhere else for news. You can subscribe to a different newspaper, watch a different channel, or visit a different website.
    11-30-2013 04:21 AM
    And the point is? I'll bet there's model train news outlets that devoted zero coverage to either subject. It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

No one is saying that but what this does show is how slanted msnbc is and why fox is considered crap.

You can not get around the share unbalanced part about fox putting almost all 8 hours on ACA. That should speak volumes at why it is called fake news.

It more shows if the station as a clear political side how they act.

And anyone who thinks fox is fair and balance clearly does not know what fair and balanced is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    11-30-2013 11:30 PM
    It more shows if the station as a clear political side how they act.

And anyone who thinks fox is fair and balance clearly does not know what fair and balanced is.
    Is it that they focus on the ACA or that most of the opinions are biased against it? If they supported the act, would your view change? Besides, they are mostly an American news station, not a world news station. Since the typhoon hit another country and not really affecting us, it doesn't bother me they didn't cover it much. If you're upset about that, I'm curious if you think the local news outlets over there should devote equal time to our political issues.

As for fair and balanced, that refers to their claim on political bias on their stories and that they try to present both sides equally. Now that aspect can be debated, but it doesn't mean they claim a balance on covering one story vs. another like in the op graphs.
    12-01-2013 12:08 AM
    Is it that they focus on the ACA or that most of the opinions are biased against it? If they supported the act, would your view change? Besides, they are mostly an American news station, not a world news station. Since the typhoon hit another country and not really affecting us, it doesn't bother me they didn't cover it much. If you're upset about that, I'm curious if you think the local news outlets over there should devote equal time to our political issues.

As for fair and balanced, that refers to their claim on political bias on their stories and that they try to present both sides equally. Now that aspect can be debated, but it doesn't mean they claim a balance on covering one story vs. another like in the op graphs.
    My opinion on Fake news would stay the same.
    That is so lopsided and unbalance that it is a joke.
    MSNBC I consider a bad news station and they support it. If it is political generally toss MSNBC out as not valid. Fake news is so bad that it never considered a valid news source.
    There is no getting around the fake that Fox news is the worse news stations. Has the most errors per 1000 stories by a very healthy margin (NBC is 2nd worse but close to the norm.) That fox news watchers are time after time the least informed and most incorrect about anything.

Oh and saying they precent both sides equally that is a joke. They precent one side. They are crap. This just show how much they focused on a single issue WAY WAY out of line with the 2nd worse. Noticed if you add up the times they do not cover 8 hours. Fake news left 8 mins TOTAL for non ACA. 8 minutes. Saying it is American most watch news station speaks volumes. Volumes that most people are *****. It is the worse news station. There is a reason it is called Fake news and not considered a valid source on anything.
    12-01-2013 12:17 AM
    There was a request of someone in another thread to call Obama by his actual name, not Obummer or whatever it was. I agree with that request and would request you do the same with Fox. Actually, across the board, I think we should all use proper names here, not insulting nicknames. All it does is make the person writing it sound bad and takes away pretty much any credibility of the post.
    msndrstood likes this.
    12-01-2013 12:30 AM
    There was a request of someone in another thread to call Obama by his actual name, not Obummer or whatever it was. I agree with that request and would request you do the same with Fox. Actually, across the board, I think we should all use proper names here, not insulting nicknames. All it does is make the person writing it sound bad and takes away pretty much any credibility of the post.
    I can go with that but does not change the issue. 8 mins over 8 hours spent on something other than aca. That speaks volumes about the lack of credibility as a news station and why it is not what I would call valid new source and if it is political it is assumed fake until proven other wise..

Political stuff from both MSNBC and fox I consider not valid. MSNBC I will dig deeper and find a less slanted one. Fox has so many times put up bs I gave up on even digging. But in both cases I toss them out.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4
    12-01-2013 01:02 AM
    I can go with that but does not change the issue. 8 mins over 8 hours spent on something other than aca. That speaks volumes about the lack of credibility as a news station and why it is not what I would call valid new source and if it is political it is assumed fake until proven other wise..

Political stuff from both MSNBC and fox I consider not valid. MSNBC I will dig deeper and find a less slanted one. Fox has so many times put up bs I gave up on even digging. But in both cases I toss them out.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 4
    Benghazi, Fast and Furious, IRS, Obamacare........Beginning to look like Fox is the only one to get it right.
    12-01-2013 01:09 AM
    They are not journalists and have not been for quite a long time. They are news entertainment shows that can be compared with Rush Limbaugh, the Daily Show, etc. This has been proven many times, including Fox News going to bat with a defense that said they were under no obligation to refrain from knowingly lying while reporting. This was partly because FCC policies are not techincally laws, but an agreement for use of standard media (spectrum, dedicated lanes, broadcast rights, etc) and partly because of the distinction between "the press" and "the media". Their job is NOT to report the news, inform the public nor to ensure transparency in public affairs. That's the press... and it doesn't really exist anymore.

The Media:
    The media's job is to sell, on behalf of their owners (corporations that are interlinked with the vast majority of all transactions that their reporting on) a product, in the form of views/readers/viewers/etc, TO their own business partners and chained subsidiaries (advertisers). There are 6 media companies that control 90% of the media content consumed and they happen to be chained to 4 banks that carry over 90% of transactions between their own interests, the 10 consumer product companies that sell literally everything. 20 "companies" have at a recent count (2010) 190 of the 290 boardroom seats in common. When you add in the defense industry (Carlyle, Boeing, Halliburton, Lockheed-Martin, etc) that 65% raises to 85%. That's just the boards. The top shareholders make this one giant supercorp trading amongst it's various channels across names in a giant game of 3 (trillion) card Monte by less than 430 individuals.

The ads are not the product, nor are the shows. You are the product, or more importantly your value as an incremental lift in consumer count which is traded as a commodity.
    Tall Mike 2145 and msndrstood like this.
    12-01-2013 03:04 AM
    Benghazi, Fast and Furious, IRS, Obamacare........Beginning to look like Fox is the only one to get it right.

Of that list.
    IRS is a false scandal. Fox conveniently left out the part that it turned out that IRS was heavily screening both liberal and conservative groups with a list of words that linked to either one. Oh and the "report" only was looking for conservative groups effected. Oh and of course they never reported this after it was found out massive errors in the orginally report. They kept shoving the same lie.
    Benghazi - This was a political crap fest. They leave out the GOP blocked the funding increase for security. Leave out that the GOP cut funding for security for those places.. They negleted those little facts. More you dig into it Benghazi is nothing more than the standard political BS.

Fast and Furious - Yeah that was a mess but Fox was not the only one reported on it. They screamed more about it and put more spin on it but no points there.

Obamacare -- Sorry fox has been caught lieing their multiple times over.

End of the day Fox news is not valid source on anything. They earned the name Fake news for a reason.
    12-02-2013 10:36 AM
    Of that list.
    IRS is a false scandal. Fox conveniently left out the part that it turned out that IRS was heavily screening both liberal and conservative groups with a list of words that linked to either one. Oh and the "report" only was looking for conservative groups effected. Oh and of course they never reported this after it was found out massive errors in the orginally report. They kept shoving the same lie.

The IRS admitted to the wrongdoing, and that conservative groups were by far being investigated the most.

Benghazi - This was a political crap fest. They leave out the GOP blocked the funding increase for security. Leave out that the GOP cut funding for security for those places.. They negleted those little facts. More you dig into it Benghazi is nothing more than the standard political BS.

Ranking government officials testified that the cuts did not affect security at Benghazi. You are neglecting that "little fact". The government wouldn't even allow the survivors to be questioned.

Fast and Furious - Yeah that was a mess but Fox was not the only one reported on it. They screamed more about it and put more spin on it but no points there.

Obamacare -- Sorry fox has been caught lieing their multiple times over.

POTUS, whether intentionally or not, flat-out lied to the American people about Obamacare (keep your plan, keep your doctor, lower premiums), and you say that Fox lied? /smh And where have they been caught "multiple times over"?

End of the day Fox news is not valid source on anything. They earned the name Fake news for a reason.
    12-02-2013 01:26 PM
    IRS- Far more Conservative groups applied than Liberal. They also had far more money. Also if you look at the many that were looked at it does not take much to see most of them clearly were political groups. More money more looked at. Come on you know they greatly out number in terms applying for it. They should be looked at more heavily. Either way noticed Fox never even attemped to report other wise. Also note Fox was not the only one reporting on this.

Benghazi - Again not letting survivors in to testify. If the GOP screaming for it REALLY cared about the truth it would be one thing but you and I both know it is more about trying to make the POTUS looked bad and for political gain. Sorry survivors should not be brought in and harassed publicly for just that reason. The GOP does not give a rats *** about the truth. Heck no one who would be doing the "questioning" cares about the truth. It is for pure politics.

Obamacare. Anything they ran on the rates increases is a lie
    Inside the Fox News lie machine: I fact-checked Sean Hannity on Obamacare - Salon.com
    That is just one of them. Tons of other sites pick up on that. Fox swept it under the rug and refused to admit they made crap up.
    Four Fox Lies About Seniors' Obamacare Coverage | Research | Media Matters for America

If it is political Fox news should be the absolute last source and not trusted.
    12-02-2013 01:39 PM
    No one is saying that but what this does show is how slanted msnbc is and why fox is considered crap.
    And Fox is the #1 rated cable news show. Crap? Lol!
    12-02-2013 02:15 PM
    Being number one does not change they are the most inaccurate.

Their is a healthy margins between fox and the next worse which I believe is nbc.
    Fox news viewers time and time again are shown to be the most uniformed and inaccurate understanding.

But do not let those little facts get in the way of being the worse. If you want the news fox is the last choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    12-02-2013 02:23 PM

IRS- Far more Conservative groups applied than Liberal. They also had far more money. Also if you look at the many that were looked at it does not take much to see most of them clearly were political groups. More money more looked at. Come on you know they greatly out number in terms applying for it. They should be looked at more heavily. Either way noticed Fox never even attemped to report other wise. Also note Fox was not the only one reporting on this.
    You do realize that these are ALL political groups, don't you? Fox didn't need to report otherwise, as officials admitted that the conservative groups were targeted, not the liberals.

Benghazi - Again not letting survivors in to testify. If the GOP screaming for it REALLY cared about the truth it would be one thing but you and I both know it is more about trying to make the POTUS looked bad and for political gain. Sorry survivors should not be brought in and harassed publicly for just that reason. The POTUS does not give a rats *** about the truth. Heck no one who would be doing the "questioning" cares about the truth. It is for pure politics.
    If the govt. is after the truth, then why couldn't the survivors speak to anyone or testify? They were held in protective custody. POTUS doesn't want the truth to be found out.

Obamacare. Anything they ran on the rates increases is a lie
    Inside the Fox News lie machine: I fact-checked Sean Hannity on Obamacare - Salon.com
    That is just one of them. Tons of other sites pick up on that. Fox swept it under the rug and refused to admit they made crap up.
    Four Fox Lies About Seniors' Obamacare Coverage | Research | Media Matters for America

If it is political Fox news should be the absolute last source and not trusted.
    I see that you didn't comment on the president lying. All polls now show that he cannot be trusted in the eyes of citizens.
    12-02-2013 02:25 PM
    I used to have some measurable amount of faith that CNN was unbiased some of the time, but then they edited the Zimmerman 911 call to intentionally make him sound racist...

Its all a game. Anything that can be said about one can also be said about the others. They all have an agenda and motive behind every story. People like to hate on fox just because its spin is the opposite of the others. The real story is that every story is spun, not about which way...
    12-02-2013 02:29 PM
    I used to have some measurable amount of faith that CNN was unbiased some of the time, but then they edited the Zimmerman 911 call to intentionally make him sound racist...

Its all a game. Anything that can be said about one can also be said about the others. They all have an agenda and motive behind every story. People like to hate on fox just because its spin is the opposite of the others. The real story is that every story is spun, not about which way...
    The spinning is one thing. All do that pretty bad. Fox has pretty much flat out lied as the Hannity programmed showed.

I think a friend of mine put it best

CNN is the TMZ of the News stations.
    Fox -Full of lies and a right wing echo chamber.
    NBC- Liberal echo chamber but more truthful than fox.

NPR- Tend to be neutral
    12-02-2013 02:43 PM
    I think a friend of mine put it best

CNN is the TMZ of the News stations.
    Fox -Full of lies and a right wing echo chamber.
    NBC- Liberal echo chamber but more truthful than fox.

NPR- Tend to be neutral
    NBC and "truthful" don't belong in the same sentence together. To say otherwise just proves you are just as biased and ignorant as the Fox news watchers you are complaining about.

NPR is the same as NBC, but in more subtle ways.
    12-02-2013 02:48 PM
    You do realize that these are ALL political groups, don't you? Fox didn't need to report otherwise, as officials admitted that the conservative groups were targeted, not the liberals.
    First report was a review ONLY to see if conservative groups. Not all groups. They were only looking at a sub set. It is like looking in a jar of coins looking for pennies then claiming their were pennies in there but then not saying anything about the other coins. They did not go looking to see if all groups just right wing groups. Turned out all groups were targeted if they were political or had political words in their title.

If the govt. is after the truth, then why couldn't the survivors speak to anyone or testify? They were held in protective custody. POTUS doesn't want the truth to be found out.
    Again addressed all ready. If you think the entire testifying thing would find out anything but standard political crap then you drink to much GOP koo aid. You basically want the survivors to be torn to shred for no other reason than standard politics. You failed to address that point. You just scream we want them but I guess you support making their lives hell and re living that just for political gain.

I see that you didn't comment on the president lying. All polls now show that he cannot be trusted in the eyes of citizens.
    Not talking about the POTUS. Talking about Fox News.
    12-02-2013 02:52 PM
    NBC and "truthful" don't belong in the same sentence together. To say otherwise just proves you are just as biased and ignorant as the Fox news watchers you are complaining about.

NPR is the same as NBC, but in more subtle ways.
    Read it again. I said more truthful than fox. That is not saying much. Fox sets the bar pretty low. If it is political in nature NBC should be tossed out.
    12-02-2013 02:55 PM
    First report was a review ONLY to see if conservative groups. Not all groups. They were only looking at a sub set. It is like looking in a jar of coins looking for pennies then claiming their were pennies in there but then not saying anything about the other coins. They did not go looking to see if all groups just right wing groups. Turned out all groups were targeted if they were political or had political words in their title.

Again addressed all ready. If you think the entire testifying thing would find out anything but standard political crap then you drink to much GOP koo aid. You basically want the survivors to be torn to shred for no other reason than standard politics. You failed to address that point. You just scream we want them but I guess you support making their lives hell and re living that just for political gain.

Not talking about the POTUS. Talking about Fox News.
    Man, talk about kool -aid. You drank all of the liberals' supply!
    And no, all groups weren't targeted, just conservative groups. IRS admitted as much.

Sent from my awesome Droid Maxx by Android Central app.
    12-03-2013 08:58 AM
71 123