Pope Francis has taken aim at capitalism as "a new tyranny" and is urging world leaders to step up their efforts against poverty and inequality, saying "thou shall not kill" the economy. Francis calls on rich people to share their wealth... http://rt.com/news/pope-francis-capitalism-tyranny-324/

Pope attacks 'tyranny' of markets in manifesto for papacy | Reuters

Pope Francis calls unfettered capitalism 'tyranny' and urges rich to share wealth | World news | theguardian.com
    11-27-2013 09:40 AM
    Hmmm not sure what i think about this...

He not only calls on those with money to be selfless(as he should, he is the Pope), he calls on governments to mandate it. I am by no means an expert on Pope politics. Is it normal for him to call on governments for force his teachings? It seems like there should be a line there... maybe not.
    11-27-2013 01:11 PM
    I'm not religious, but being a Dave Ramsey listener and hearing how he teaches about money with biblical intent, this doesn't fit what I have heard.

It's my understanding that Catholics are taught to give from the goodness of their heart and generosity. Not mandated to do so. Yes, they can show the virtues of giving to convince you to do so, but the belief seems to be that doing it out of your own generosity helps you grow as a person. What the Pope has said according to the articles seems to fly in the face of my understanding of bible. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but Dave's teachings has probably pulled millions out out debt and on the path to prosperity so they can make lots of money and give lots away. Besides, the rich already give the majority of donations by far (in the U.S. anyway), and I've yet to hear anyone define what their fair share of giving is anyway.

Then when you talk about the other points of promising "dignified employment", education, and healthcare, it's a whole new ball game. What's considered dignified employment? I'd be hard pressed to call some jobs dignified, but they all serve a needed purpose. What would happen to those? For education, is that really something the church should have a position in like this? And any government education these days could be questionable for many reasons. When you get into higher education like college, not everyone is cut out for that and would be a waste of money to fund everyone. For my views on the healthcare issue, just see my posts in those related threads.
    Bratigan likes this.
    11-27-2013 02:02 PM
    To be honest, I think his statement has little to do with religion, rather it has to do with the exploitation of (wo)man (child). In Bangladesh you have people making less than $2 a day in the garment industry. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/05/wo...wage.html?_r=0 There are many other counties where the working class, including children are exploited ($2 to $4 a day is the tyranny) . It's wrong, and it's a vicious cycle that needs to be broken.
    11-27-2013 02:15 PM
    Something does need to be done but mandating isn't always necessary. One of Australia's richest mans is now giving away half his wealth. He said the reason he choose to go public after a lot of his donations were to encourage (/force his known to be selfish competitors -1 refused to give their own children money) into donating to lower econ groups.

His net wealth is about 5 billion and his donating over 2 away with 65 million went to the local university. Only if more super wealthy did this, mind you his money is from resources though.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    11-27-2013 03:32 PM
    I thought the world was aware of the pitfalls of being subjects of the Papacy.

If it weren't for a combination of the Industrial Revolution and modern economic theory (i.e. capitalism) there wouldn't be the wealth that there is today for anyone to complain about poor, impoverished masses being disenfranchised from. Like them or hate them, but no king, emperor, or other ruler in history has had the wealth, power, or influence of even one of the modern major corporations, from De Beers, Standard Oil and Carnegie Steel, to Google, Microsoft, Walmart, or Apple (to name but a few).
    11-27-2013 08:08 PM