02-16-2014 01:50 AM
146 ... 3456
tools
    Hey NothingIsTrue!

Not that we were actively talking about it, but thanks for bringing up the point about Deists and Theists. I've heard the term before, but have never bothered to research what the differences are between them.

What I do not see as being possible is for someone in wolf39us's position (that is, having knowledge of the possibility that either God/Gods exist or that God/Gods do not exist) to truly lack a belief.

It's like trying to say "I have an absence of money in my hand." Either you have money in your hand, or you don't have money in your hand. How do you have less than no money in your hand? Would that be like trying to show a three dimensional object in two dimensional space? I don't know.

Oh, and hey wolf39us, understand I mean and intend no disrespect. I take you at your word; I'm just trying to see how it's physically possible to hold a position that is outside of the continuum of possibilities that you are, from my perspective, inherently a part of.
    I'm not sure you're understanding me.

Based on my observations I have thought about theistic claims and I have rejected them as lacking sufficient evidence.

I lack a positive belief that god does or does not exist. It is illogical to state either position as fact.

Just because one does not accept theistic claims, does not mean that they are stating that the opposite is true. Stating that the opposite is true is an entirely different position to hold.

This would make me an agnostic but it also makes me an atheist because I don't believe in God.

Per the definition: one who lacks the belief god exists... ANYONE who does not believe in god is an atheist.

What makes the difference is whether or not they claim the opposite is true.

Please reference strong and weak positions!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    01-16-2014 08:48 AM
    Hail his noodles for he boiled for your sins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R'amen. His noodly appendages annoit you.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-16-2014 12:54 PM
    It's kind of funny to think of "atheist" as a word at all, because we don't have a word for people who don't believe in dragons or people who don't believe that Elvis is alive, etc.
    01-16-2014 01:44 PM
    It's kind of funny to think of "atheist" as a word at all, because we don't have a word for people who don't believe in dragons or people who don't believe that Elvis is alive, etc.
    The word is PSYCHOTIC

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-16-2014 03:10 PM
    The word is PSYCHOTIC
    So therefore people lacking such a range of beliefs would be apsychotic? This could get interesting.

May the Force be with you.
    01-16-2014 03:24 PM
    I don't know if everyone has seen this or not, but Carl Sagan put a different slant on this topic years ago. Thought it might be interesting to whoever may wish to watch.
    We can't watch that in the states. We get this message, "This video is not available in your country.Sorry about that."

What does he say? Could you summarize?

There was an interesting movie called Contact that was based on one of his science fiction novels
    01-16-2014 04:46 PM
    Well theist is a word meaning a belief in god or gods. Atheist is just theist with an a for the prefix. A as a prefix means no or not so we can safely deduce that atheist means not believing in a god or gods. So yes, it's a word but it's clear your religious indoctrination is clouding your judgment, like most religious people.
    I should also add if there was in fact a single noun to state the belief in say dragons, there would be an anti to that. Of course that would be preposterous for one to believe in dragons because there is no proof or logical reason to believe in them, hence no official word, get my drift?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    01-16-2014 05:25 PM
    Well theist is a word meaning a belief in god or gods. Atheist is just theist with an a for the prefix. A as a prefix means no or not so we can safely deduce that atheist means not believing in a god or gods. So yes, it's a word but it's clear your religious indoctrination is clouding your judgment, like most religious people.

I'm not clear on what you mean by my religious indoctrination. I am 0% religious except maybe to the idea of robots eventually ruling over mankind.
    01-16-2014 05:29 PM
    We can't watch that in the states. We get this message, "This video is not available in your country.Sorry about that."

There was an interesting movie called Contact that was based on one of his science fiction novels
    I'm fairly elbow deep in Sagan's books now, doing a long overdue reread of Cosmos right now to prep for NDGT's show.
    palandri and msndrstood like this.
    01-16-2014 05:30 PM
    I'm not clear on what you mean by my religious indoctrination. I am 0% religious except maybe to the idea of robots eventually ruling over mankind.
    Sorry, I read your post wrong, my apologies. I've been having a incredibly long debate about religion and such with my significant other. It's been a rough day.

Aquila likes this.
    01-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Sorry, I read your post wrong, my apologies. I've been having a incredibly long debate about religion and such with my significant other. It's been a rough day.

No worries
    01-16-2014 05:36 PM
    The entire point is that they do NOT want pastafarianism taught in schools and they do not want things that are not based in science to be taught in schools, for the exact same reason that we should not learn about pastafarianism other than as a social commentary.
    What if people are fine with teaching the Flying Spaghetti Monster in school? Could we also allow other religions to be taught in school as well?
    01-16-2014 08:13 PM
    What if people are fine with teaching the Flying Spaghetti Monster in school? Could we also allow other religions to be taught in school as well?
    Wouldn't that be a little like treating the common cold with plague? I think the idea is to reduce the influence of superstition, not escalate it ad absurdum. The reason that the FSM shouldn't be taught in schools is the exact same reason that the others shouldn't. If people want to learn those things, they can voluntarily go to a church or research it during their non-scholastic hours, but subjecting people to those things in an education environment, especially with youth who are more impressionable and trusting of adults and authority, and especially teaching that there is a conflict with actual science, is immensely detrimental to their education and to the future of our society's technological advancement and progress towards sustainability. We absolutely need a stronger education system in general, and something as simple as whether or not we should waste valuable time teaching mythology as if it's science is absolutely ridiculous given how poor our scholastic performance is and how far it needs to go.

This is low hanging fruit and the argument could easily be over tomorrow: believe what you want privately, attend whatever church(es) that you want and keep 100% of it out of children's education until 1. It's backed implicitly by evidence and 2. the children are old enough to weigh all of the evidence and consider all potential religions and explanations for their environment and to make an educated decision on what they choose to subscribe to. 100% of the population that loves liberty ought to be on board with that, but for some reason an insanely vocal segment of the population thinks that we should pollute young minds early so that they can't keep the distinctions between dreams and reality, between "belief" and "experiment" straight in their heads. It's disgusting. Education's goal should be education, not indoctrination.

In my biology class last week (I'm in college) the professor felt the need to explain why evolution is true. It's a biology class. Something is deeply wrong. 100% of people over age 6 or 7 should be aware of what the concept of evolution is and you shouldn't be able to graduate high school without a fairly in depth understanding of how natural selection and artificial selection works.

Politics, rinse, repeat.
    jdbii, palandri and msndrstood like this.
    01-16-2014 08:37 PM

Sorry for that I was unaware it was not available to you. It was an excerpt from one of the episodes of Cosmos that I had watched on TV in the early 80s here in AU. I felt it best explained in laymans language, where we are at in our understanding of the beginning of the universe. I am posting another link here,hope it works,if not post and I will delete it.
    If you can, I would highly recommend that you watch this series online, it is a true masterpiece of intellect. But be warned it is 13 hours long.

Cosmos - Carl Sagan - A Personal Voyage - Episode 11 (B) - Video Dailymotion
    palandri likes this.
    01-16-2014 09:30 PM
    Wouldn't that be a little like treating the common cold with plague?
    Not necessarily. We teach children Greek and Roman mythology in school. It usually starts when children learn about the planets, since they are named after the Roman gods. What people often don't realize is that Greek and Roman mythology used to be actual religions in ancient times. People would worship and make sacrifices to Zeus, Hera, Athena, and so forth. In spite of this, I don't see an increase in cults worshiping Zeus in modern times, for example. We can teach without indoctrination. We just need to apply the same to other religions.
    01-16-2014 10:03 PM
    Not necessarily. We teach children Greek and Roman mythology in school. It usually starts when children learn about the planets, since they are named after the Roman gods. What people often don't realize is that Greek and Roman mythology used to be actual religions in ancient times. People would worship and make sacrifices to Zeus, Hera, Athena, and so forth. In spite of this, I don't see an increase in cults worshiping Zeus in modern times, for example. We can teach without indoctrination. We just need to apply the same to other religions.
    Right, but we never teach those things in a science class as a plausible hypothesis of creation, etc. We teach them in literature and places where we're studying the belief systems of those cultures, rather than teaching their beliefs as if they are an accurate or in tune with the last 2500 years of physics, etc.
    msndrstood likes this.
    01-16-2014 10:09 PM
    Right, but we never teach those things in a science class as a plausible hypothesis of creation, etc. We teach them in literature and places where we're studying the belief systems of those cultures, rather than teaching their beliefs as if they are an accurate or in tune with the last 2500 years of physics, etc.
    I think that would be a good start. Teaching students different religions can help them later in life when they go out into the world and meet people who believe in those religions.
    01-16-2014 10:29 PM
    The danger is in those who are susceptible to the idea and without question. People who take into the fairy tale have accepted the ideas and are then susceptible to modified behavior in the name of their religion.
    How important is religion with regards to the office of the president? Should the president of the United States believe in some form of religion? Remember, the president is in charge of the entire military, which includes nuclear weapons.
    01-24-2014 06:01 PM
    It is important enough that the American public has been willing to make election decisions in part on criteria which violate the Constitution. Kennedy being Catholic, Romney and Huntsman being Mormon, Ron Paul being accused of being an atheist solely because he is a libertarian in all but party name (and we all know that Libertarians are anti-Christian), and Obama being accused of being Muslim.

Is it bulls**t? Yes. But you didn't ask if it was bulls**t; you asked if it was an important factor.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-25-2014 01:04 AM
    How important is religion with regards to the office of the president? Should the president of the United States believe in some form of religion? Remember, the president is in charge of the entire military, which includes nuclear weapons.
    I don't believe personally that it should be relevant. As long as this person has the ability to make logical decision separate from their religion.
    With regards to the nuclear weapons... The president doesn't have the power to just "blow **** up"... There's a process and there are many involved.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-25-2014 08:56 AM
    How important is religion with regards to the office of the president? Should the president of the United States believe in some form of religion?
    He pretty much has no choice.
    You know, stuff like "So help me God", "In God We Trust", "Godspeed", "May God bless America" etc etc and stuff like that.

The President takes an Oath with his hand on a bible. Imagine the first one that refuses, lol.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-25-2014 12:09 PM
    He pretty much has no choice.
    You know, stuff like "So help me God", "In God We Trust", "Godspeed", "May God bless America" etc etc and stuff like that.

The President takes an Oath with his hand on a bible. Imagine the first one that refuses, lol.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    The supreme court ruled those sayings aren't religious, but rather patriotic, when they were challenged. Nixon was a Quaker and didn't take the oath of office on the bible. He took an affirmation.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-25-2014 12:24 PM
    The supreme court ruled those sayings aren't religious, but rather patriotic, when they were challenged. Nixon was a Quaker and didn't take the oath of office on the bible. He took an affirmation.
    And those very same "judges" took an Oath on the same Bible.

As for Nixon; we all know how THAT ended up.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Scott7217 likes this.
    01-25-2014 12:37 PM
    I wonder how many politicians are actually closeted non-believers.

Considering how many religious people claim that we're living at end times, I never understood how anyone would want to vote someone into office that follows that same belief. GWB believed in the Apocalypse. I never understood why we'd want someone in office that had the power to make good on their belief. Granted, he did manage to unleash apocalyptic conditions upon the U.S. economy.....
    01-25-2014 02:38 PM
    Considering how many religious people claim that we're living at end times, I never understood how anyone would want to vote someone into office that follows that same belief.
    In most religions that believe in the end of the world, there will be a period of violence, then good triumphs over evil, and the result is everlasting peace. I suppose that would be comforting to followers of those religions.
    01-31-2014 09:14 PM
146 ... 3456