06-30-2015 05:00 PM
209 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I'm saying that when we stop valuing life there is no point in defending it. Cruelty is not the same thing as prudence and never can be.
    Well, we do have the Eighth Amendment prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment. So, if I understand you correctly, does capital punishment have to be 100% painless? Even a lethal injection requires sticking a needle into someone's arm. Is that over the line?
    02-05-2014 12:01 PM
    Well, we do have the Eighth Amendment prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment. So, if I understand you correctly, does capital punishment have to be 100% painless? Even a lethal injection requires sticking a needle into someone's arm. Is that over the line?
    Absolutely not, I'm saying pain shouldn't be the goal. In exactly the same way that a person defending their family from an attacker shouldn't be immediately concerned with the pain caused by their defense, such as whether or not it'll hurt if they have to be shot.... that same person should not be firing at an attacker with a goal of causing injury or suffering, but with a goal of stopping a threat. This is no different.
    02-05-2014 03:51 PM
    Absolutely not, I'm saying pain shouldn't be the goal.
    So, in your opinion, what would be an appropriate punishment for a convicted murderer?
    02-05-2014 04:23 PM
    So, in your opinion, what would be an appropriate punishment for a convicted murderer?
    Appropriate sentence, depending on the type and circumstances would be somewhere between a temporary and a permanent, up to including death, removal from society. I have no issues with "harsh sentencing". I simply don't think we should encourage people to feel joy in the suffering of others.
    02-05-2014 04:44 PM
    Appropriate sentence, depending on the type and circumstances would be somewhere between a temporary and a permanent, up to including death, removal from society. I have no issues with "harsh sentencing". I simply don't think we should encourage people to feel joy in the suffering of others.
    If you were in charge, would you have let the execution in Ohio proceed? It took 24 minutes for the condemned prisoner, Dennis McGuire, to die. Out of those 24 minutes, he was gasping for air and convulsing for 10 to 13 minutes, which apparently is not normal for a lethal injection. Still, many people were glad he suffered during his execution because he raped and murdered a 22-year old woman who was 7 months pregnant.
    02-05-2014 05:08 PM
    I simply don't think we should encourage people to feel joy in the suffering of others.
    I found some more information about the execution of Dennis McGuire. The priest who gave last sacraments said the following after he witnessed the execution:

"I came out of that room feeling that I had witnessed something ghastly. I was relieved to be out in the fresh air. There is no question in my mind that Dennis McGuire suffered greatly over many minutes. I'd been told that a 'normal' execution lasted five minutes this experimental two-drug concoction had taken 26 minutes. I consider that inhumane."

I witnessed Ohio's execution of Dennis McGuire. What I saw was inhumane - The Guardian

Please note that this priest has admitted that he is against capital punishment. I wonder how he would feel if he saw the remains of the victim after her murder.
    02-07-2014 03:21 PM
    ....Please note that this priest has admitted that he is against capital punishment. I wonder how he would feel if he saw the remains of the victim after her murder.
    I am starting to think you're an auto-respond bot.

Why would you think that he would think anything less than, "...feeling that I had witnessed something ghastly..."
    02-08-2014 01:48 AM
    Why would you think that he would think anything less than, "...feeling that I had witnessed something ghastly..."
    If the priest saw what happened to the victim, he might change his view on capital punishment.
    A895 likes this.
    02-09-2014 08:33 AM
    If the priest saw what happened to the victim, he might change his view on capital punishment.
    A priest? I don't think so.
    02-09-2014 08:47 AM
    A priest? I don't think so.
    That makes sense. Priests follow religious principles that forbid capital punishment. Would that apply to people who believe in the same religion who are not priests?
    02-09-2014 09:46 AM
    That makes sense. Priests follow religious principles that forbid capital punishment. Would that apply to people who believe in the same religion who are not priests?
    Hello Mr. Scott7217, this is the palandri auto-response bot. We are currently performing maintenance on our database. We value you as a customer and are sorry for this inconvenience.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    02-09-2014 10:35 AM
    Just out interest, do you want all criminals punished with what they did?
    Because that would be about as close to sharia law as you could get, I doubt you'd want to go down that road.

Posted via Android Central App
    Code of Hammurabi.

02-10-2014 04:52 AM
    Code of Hammurabi.

Doesn't matter which one it is, they were all written thousands of years ago and are equally primitive.

02-14-2014 03:45 PM
    Doesn't matter which one it is, they were all written thousands of years ago and are equally primitive.

Kept order though didn't they?

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App
    02-14-2014 04:11 PM
    Kept order though didn't they?

Yeah. But so do our laws, and somehow we manage without severing extremities, poking people's eyes out or killing anyone.
    Of course there's order in Saudi Arabia too, but their justice system us not exactly known for, you know... justice.

02-15-2014 01:27 AM
    Yeah. But so do our laws, and somehow we manage without severing extremities, poking people's eyes out or killing anyone.
    Of course there's order in Saudi Arabia too, but their justice system us not exactly known for, you know... justice.

Our laws aren't as protective, seeing as laws are broken all the time.

02-15-2014 08:57 AM
    Hello Mr. Scott7217, this is the palandri auto-response bot. We are currently performing maintenance on our database. We value you as a customer and are sorry for this inconvenience.
    Apology accepted.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to give everyone a heads-up, Virginia will use the same drug that Ohio used for executions:

Virginia picks Ohio execution drug for lethal injections - CNN

The manufacturer of the drug opposes the use of their drug in lethal injections, but they say that they cannot stop prisons from acquiring the drug.
    02-27-2014 07:06 PM
    I have no issues with "harsh sentencing". I simply don't think we should encourage people to feel joy in the suffering of others.
    Oklahoma is reviewing the lethal injection process after something went wrong during the last execution.

One Execution Botched, Oklahoma Delays the Next -- The New York Times (article link here)

The state convicted Clayton Lockett for shooting a woman and burying her alive. During the lethal injection process, Lockett did not receive enough sedative before receiving the drugs that would paralyze him and make his heart stop.

He was twitching and gasping so much that the prison officials had to draw a curtain in front of the witnesses. He later died of a heart attack, 43 minutes after the start of the execution.

The next execution in Oklahoma is on hold pending a review. That would be for Charles Warner. Oklahoma sentenced him to death for the rape and murder of an 11-month-old girl.
    05-14-2014 08:16 PM
    Why not just bring back firing squads? It would be a lot less complicated.
    SteveISU likes this.
    05-14-2014 08:45 PM
    Oklahoma is reviewing the lethal injection process after something went wrong during the last execution.

One Execution Botched, Oklahoma Delays the Next -- The New York Times (article link here)

The state convicted Clayton Lockett for shooting a woman and burying her alive. During the lethal injection process, Lockett did not receive enough sedative before receiving the drugs that would paralyze him and make his heart stop.

He was twitching and gasping so much that the prison officials had to draw a curtain in front of the witnesses. He later died of a heart attack, 43 minutes after the start of the execution.

The next execution in Oklahoma is on hold pending a review. That would be for Charles Warner. Oklahoma sentenced him to death for the rape and murder of an 11-month-old girl.

How long did it take for the woman he buried alive to die? Was she given an ounce of sedative before getting stuck 6ft under?
    05-15-2014 11:44 AM
    I've always found it interesting that the political party that claims to value life is always so eager to use the death penalty.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    palandri and A895 like this.
    05-16-2014 07:42 AM
    I've always found it interesting that the political party that claims to value life is always so eager to use the death penalty.

I find it interesting the party who condones killing an innocent baby would rather stand up for the protection of a murderer or a sexual predator. God forbid someone who rapes an 11yr old feels a twinge of pain upon his execution. But they don't bat an eye when it comes to jamming a pair of forceps into a fetus' brainstem and making soup with him/her. If I had my choice I'd rather protect the innocent who did nothing wrong but that's just me.
    05-16-2014 09:33 AM
    I find it interesting the party who condones killing an innocent baby would rather stand up for the protection of a murderer or a sexual predator. God forbid someone who rapes an 11yr old feels a twinge of pain upon his execution. But they don't bat an eye when it comes to jamming a pair of forceps into a fetus' brainstem and making soup with him/her. If I had my choice I'd rather protect the innocent who did nothing wrong but that's just me.
    Sorry, but nothing is being killed if it hasn't been born. Comparing a women's right to her own healthcare choices to a serial ******...didn't expect anything less!

A895 likes this.
    05-16-2014 09:11 PM
    Why not just bring back firing squads? It would be a lot less complicated.
    If the people of Oklahoma (or any other state) want to bring back firing squads, they could probably vote to put those methods of execution back into the justice system.
    05-16-2014 11:04 PM
    How long did it take for the woman he buried alive to die? Was she given an ounce of sedative before getting stuck 6ft under?
    I don't know the answers to those questions, but I believe a jury would still sentence Clayton Lockett to death whether he killed his victim quickly or slowly, with or without any sedatives.
    05-16-2014 11:10 PM
209 ... 34567 ...