01-29-2014 01:57 PM
140 ... 456
tools
    Your numbers do not match up to facts. First you are over inflating how long someone is on welfare and how much they are receiving.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/18/us...ests.html?_r=0

Btw the failure rate was below that of the general population, oh and it was not for hard drugs like meth. The druggies for the most part do not even go on welfare as they are to high to take care of it.
    Ha ha :rolleyes: Most meth addicts are not going to give a test. You have to surprise them with it to be successful. That study was one of the worst I have read because it violates rights and it is wasteful to test everyone unless you build the cost into the existing subsidy.

Now if a social worker suspects someone fraudulent, then probable cause is all that is needed. It isn't like people are being forced to test, and if they test clean, they should get reimbursement. If not, get out! Let us pick em off with brilliance, not this stupid test to welfare program that most people aren't stupid enough to fall for.

People try and beat THC with golden seal and fail. I am not trying to *match* numbers. Especially to that article. Florida does not have a history of doing things right, and this is another instance where they failed. Sorry but true.

Many people live off the system their entire lifes. A few large families can cost a million dollars over the life of welfare they collect. Not complicated. I don't buy the *perfect study* statement. Florida is beautiful. Florida is hot, Florida does not do government well.

Rat poison is now one of the biggest antithrombolitic drugs out there. You know why? Because no study is perfect and when those before failed, people after them with more intellect did more studies with different modalities and succeed. It is a shame people take one study, then say oooop, that don't work i quit!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    01-27-2014 05:07 PM
    Where are these magical lands where welfare recipients drive BMW's (unless that is sarcasm).

I'll type a much longer post in this thread tonight when I get home from work.
    I have seen a few times, walking behind a family after buying a cart of groceries with food stamps get into a 50,000.00 dollar escalade. People fraud the system. It is true man.They lie and say they are broke when their significant other is making bank. There are articles on people getting busted for this. This magical land is the USA.

01-27-2014 05:21 PM
    What about if, instead of giving people money, we give people food? It works for churches and private charities. If we gave them prepackaged and preportioned meals, we could also promote healthy eating at the same time. It really does chap my *** to see someone on food stamps buying chips and soda with money they didn't earn. I'm all for helping people that need it, but not subsidizing their clogged arteries and buckling knees.

Also, in my line of work, I am inside homes of welfare recipients on a daily basis. Looking around, I wonder how they pay for the cable/satellite, smart phones, and other services on a monthly basis when they can't buy their own food. Shouldn't these things be bought only after paying for the necessities?
    Johnly likes this.
    01-27-2014 07:04 PM
    What about if, instead of giving people money, we give people food? It works for churches and private charities. If we gave them prepackaged and preportioned meals, we could also promote healthy eating at the same time. It really does chap my *** to see someone on food stamps buying chips and soda with money they didn't earn. I'm all for helping people that need it, but not subsidizing their clogged arteries and buckling knees.

Also, in my line of work, I am inside homes of welfare recipients on a daily basis. Looking around, I wonder how they pay for the cable/satellite, smart phones, and other services on a monthly basis when they can't buy their own food. Shouldn't these things be bought only after paying for the necessities?
    GREAT post, from the first sentence to the last sentence. :thumbup:

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Johnly likes this.
    01-27-2014 07:37 PM
    That sounds good in theory, but I don't think that would be very practical. For one, it would require expensive refrigerated warehousing for fresh foods, or heavily preserved to be shelf stable (not exactly healthy). Then there's also the cost of portioning out and packaging meals. I think the costs would be too much for that plan to work.

Perhaps instead, food stamps are restricted to certain basics at the grocery store, much like WIC is, despite the hassle of ringing up at the register. No more allowing use at gas stations, atm withdrawals, etc. And the state could also publish healthy meal plans as a suggestion for what people can buy, as opposed to making the meals themselves. There's also at least one site I know of that does weekly healthy meal planning menus and shopping lists tailored specifically to diet preferences and what many major chains offer, from Aldi's to Wal-Mart and I think even Whole Foods. So a state could partner with a site like that already doing the work and offer those menus to the people on food stamps.

Kind of the same concept, but uses existing distribution and planning services.
    01-27-2014 09:01 PM
    To offset the costs, the preparation and packaging could be done by the people on welfare, thus giving them the opportunity to earn a living wage. This would reduce the number of people receiving benefits. A good way to increase funding for helping people that need it here would be to stop throwing our money at other countries. Think of how many more people we could help locally if we stopped the global handouts.
    01-27-2014 09:28 PM
    You still have the cost of the distribution network. The infrastructure costs alone would be pretty expensive simply to put the food banks in so many areas, plus the central distribution centers and trucks to get the meals sent out. The economies of scale just aren't there to service that small of a population base at a reasonable cost when you can make use of the existing stores and technologies at a fraction of the cost.

You'd probably still need a system set up to allow for people to shop at their own local stores anyway if there isn't a welfare food bank within a reasonable distance.
    01-27-2014 09:43 PM

You do know most food stamps will not pay for soda. It would come from another account. Same card but not from the food stamps. They are required to pay another way.
    Food stamps never paid for soda. But what are you doing watching and seeing what everyone person buys then following them to their car? I worked at a grocery store for a few years. Saw quite a few food stamps. Never did they pay for soda. It would apear that way to someone who was just standing around watching but never saw the print out when errors were thrown (generally not enough money followed by the balance. Soda would have to be paid out of a separate account.
    01-27-2014 10:57 PM
    That's strange.
    I specifically said SOME.
    Are YOU the one that's doing the assuming?

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    Thats strange...you make ignorant comments, and when you're called out on it you deflect the blame...while ignoring the important part of the comment. Good chat.

✌SG3/iPad2
    01-28-2014 07:42 AM
    Food stamps never paid for soda. But what are you doing watching and seeing what everyone person buys then following them to their car?
    I was in self checkout. That large family was very different from everyone in the store. The kids got candy bars, the mom purchased a few 12 packs of soda. The colorado EBT card can be seen a mile away. She paid with that. Not sure why I noticed, maybe it was because of how odd they were. Then I was ringing up my last few items in self checkout as they left the store. I finished my transaction and there they were when I got outside, getting into a big black escalade with these gawd awfully large rims.

Can you say that was hers and she is fraudulent? Maybe, but as long as people are willing to look the other way and defend the welfare system as is, we may never now how bad we good tax payers are being cheated.

01-28-2014 08:40 AM
    Thats strange...you make ignorant comments....
    That's strange... I thought personal attacks were against forum rules.

>>> Sent from Hotlanta
    01-28-2014 08:41 AM
    I was in self checkout. That large family was very different from everyone in the store. The kids got candy bars, the mom purchased a few 12 packs of soda. The colorado EBT card can be seen a mile away. She paid with that. Not sure why I noticed, maybe it was because of how odd they were. Then I was ringing up my last few items in self checkout as they left the store. I finished my transaction and there they were when I got outside, getting into a big black escalade with these gawd awfully large rims.

Can you say that was hers and she is fraudulent? Maybe, but as long as people are willing to look the other way and defend the welfare system as is, we may never now how bad we good tax payers are being cheated.

again if the ebt cards are anything like they are in Texas. Same card 2 accounts they are pulling money from.
    1 part food. 1 part other items like soda and soda pulls from the non food account. Now I do not know how each account is loaded but I do know they are 2 seperate parts.
    The only reason I know that their are 2 accounts. One of them labeled CASH is due to seeing the error codes that would get thrown from insufficient funds and then it would print out the amount left. It is the same card.
    01-28-2014 09:04 AM
    again if the ebt cards are anything like they are in Texas. Same card 2 accounts they are pulling money from.
    1 part food. 1 part other items like soda and soda pulls from the non food account. Now I do not know how each account is loaded but I do know they are 2 seperate parts.
    The only reason I know that their are 2 accounts. One of them labeled CASH is due to seeing the error codes that would get thrown from insufficient funds and then it would print out the amount left. It is the same card.
    I am sure it is similar here in Colorado but from what I have read, foodstamps have always paid for sugar and soda; however, I am not trying to differentiate what program is being frauded as it is still welfare money. I dont see it being any different. There are 80 welfare programs, each one is vulnerable to fraud.

01-28-2014 09:16 AM
    You do know most food stamps will not pay for soda. It would come from another account. Same card but not from the food stamps. They are required to pay another way.
    Food stamps never paid for soda. But what are you doing watching and seeing what everyone person buys then following them to their car? I worked at a grocery store for a few years. Saw quite a few food stamps. Never did they pay for soda. It would apear that way to someone who was just standing around watching but never saw the print out when errors were thrown (generally not enough money followed by the balance. Soda would have to be paid out of a separate account.
    I wish someone would inform the USDA of this. According to their site, pretty much anything you can shove into your mouth is considered food.
    Eligible Food Items | Food and Nutrition Service

Soft drinks, candy, cookies, snack crackers, and ice cream are food items and are therefore eligible items
    Seafood, steak, and bakery cakes are also food items and are therefore eligible items
    01-28-2014 05:25 PM
    I wish someone would inform the USDA of this. According to their site, pretty much anything you can shove into your mouth is considered food.
    Eligible Food Items | Food and Nutrition Service
    Even if that is the case then before you attack the people who use soda for it. Guess who would block food stamps from not paying for that stuff. Same companies who make it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    01-29-2014 01:57 PM
140 ... 456