04-23-2015 05:51 PM
247 ... 8910
tools
    What Russia wants and what Russia gets are two different things, especially if they think using military might is how it's done in this day and age.
    Russia has taken over the port of Sevastopol, in violation of the 2010 treaty it has with Ukraine. The treaty specifies that Ukraine and Russia have a lease agreement until 2042.

Given that the sanctions have not changed the status of Sevastopol, it is quite clear that Russia no longer intends to honor the treaty. The Putin administration considers Sevastopol as Russian territory, in defiance of Ukraine and the United Nations.

Therefore, in this case, it appears that what Russia wants and what Russia gets are the same thing. I don't see Russia giving up Sevastopol easily.
    12-18-2014 02:22 PM
    Russia has taken over the port of Sevastopol, in violation of the 2010 treaty it has with Ukraine. The treaty specifies that Ukraine and Russia have a lease agreement until 2042.

Given that the sanctions have not changed the status of Sevastopol, it is quite clear that Russia no longer intends to honor the treaty. The Putin administration considers Sevastopol as Russian territory, in defiance of Ukraine and the United Nations.

Therefore, in this case, it appears that what Russia wants and what Russia gets are the same thing. I don't see Russia giving up Sevastopol easily.
    Lets see, Russia wants the port so they take it by force, in retaliation, the U.S. and Europe levy sanctions. Like I said, it's like training a dog. You have to show that dog consequences for bad behavior. You can't tell me that Russia's want of the port wasn't motivated by financial gain. That financial gain has been challenged by the international community. Some of you may think that the sanctions aren't what's hurting Russia (I know that may mean giving indirect credit to Obama), but straight from the horse's mouth..... (the horse's mouth with the shirtless man on top of him) Putin blames Western sanctions for economic crisis | Fox News
    12-18-2014 07:43 PM
    Putin said the sanctions were only part of the problem, and even admitted "a key reason" was their oil and gas export economy. That was in the article you linked. He also comes off like the school bully, mad that he was punished for acting up and thinking he should be able to run around and take over countries with no repercussions.
    12-18-2014 09:17 PM
    Thanks for the link to the video and the article. Some of the interesting points that I noted:

- Putin's approval rating is around 80%.

- Putin has been voted Man of the Year in Russia for 15 years in a row.

- Putin believes the Russian economy will overcome the current situation, especially given that the Central Bank has $419 billion in reserves.

- Putin is not going to give up. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Putin struck a defiant note against America and the European Union, saying that sanctions slapped against Russia after it seized the Black Sea region of Crimea in March were part of a historical campaign to weaken Russia. He accused the West of trying to infringe on Russia's sovereignty, adding that the Ukrainian crisis was just a pretext for Western action."
    12-18-2014 09:18 PM
    He also comes off like the school bully, mad that he was punished for acting up and thinking he should be able to run around and take over countries with no repercussions.
    Putin seems like a leader who doesn't care if the average Russian citizen goes through economic hardship over Ukraine.

I think if he could, he would try to bring Russia back to the days when it was feared as the Soviet Union. Even then, Russians had to wait in line for simple things like bread.

If Putin thinks that the Russian economy will be bumpy for 2 years at most (by his calculation), he'll just continue with the present strategy. Sanctions mean nothing to him.

Besides, no one is going to challenge the Russian military during the winter. History proves that the Russians will always prevail in the cold.
    12-19-2014 05:02 PM
    Thanks for the link to the video and the article. Some of the interesting points that I noted:

- Putin's approval rating is around 80%.

- Putin has been voted Man of the Year in Russia for 15 years in a row.

- Putin believes the Russian economy will overcome the current situation, especially given that the Central Bank has $419 billion in reserves.

- Putin is not going to give up. Here's an excerpt from the article:

"Putin struck a defiant note against America and the European Union, saying that sanctions slapped against Russia after it seized the Black Sea region of Crimea in March were part of a historical campaign to weaken Russia. He accused the West of trying to infringe on Russia's sovereignty, adding that the Ukrainian crisis was just a pretext for Western action."
    He does seem like an egomaniac so I can see him not giving up. I'm perfectly fine with reaping the benefits of lower gas prices.
    12-19-2014 06:01 PM
    Hi!
    I'll tell you honestly what is happening today
    Prices quietly quietly growing, mostly only on items related to the dollar. It's a shame that all of the software and also raised prices (Apple, Android developers Russian), here are the good guys Steam, do not touch the steel prices have remained true to its strategy - less than the price - more sales.
    Funny flash big sales in machines (empty showrooms), appliances and other things, due to the dollar, people are greedy and want to snatch at a low price I like a man from a simple class (average salary at the current rate of $ 400 per month) crisis is not feel. Loans no, no debt, so it's easy, most of the ordinary people (not business or special categories) affects people who have a loan of $ and who was fired from his job, which has been linked to the dollar.
    All good and peace!

Excuse me for my english, is to blame tower of Babel
    12-22-2014 03:32 AM
    Hi!
    I'll tell you honestly what is happening today
    Prices quietly quietly growing, mostly only on items related to the dollar. It's a shame that all of the software and also raised prices (Apple, Android developers Russian), here are the good guys Steam, do not touch the steel prices have remained true to its strategy - less than the price - more sales.
    Funny flash big sales in machines (empty showrooms), appliances and other things, due to the dollar, people are greedy and want to snatch at a low price I like a man from a simple class (average salary at the current rate of $ 400 per month) crisis is not feel. Loans no, no debt, so it's easy, most of the ordinary people (not business or special categories) affects people who have a loan of $ and who was fired from his job, which has been linked to the dollar.
    All good and peace!

Excuse me for my english, is to blame tower of Babel
    lol, if I'm reading correctly, you're in Russia? If so, from a U.S. citizen that knows how hard it can be to scratch out a living, you have my apologies. I can see how sanctions against your country can be seen as an act against that country's citizens. Unfortunately, Putin's actions in the Ukraine has forced us to levy sanctions. Hopefully, we can come to a mutual agreement sooner than later. If you are from Russia, what would you say is your country's reaction to Putin? Are they still supportive of him, or are followers starting to think that maybe he overreached in Ukraine?
    12-23-2014 01:38 PM
    He does seem like an egomaniac so I can see him not giving up. I'm perfectly fine with reaping the benefits of lower gas prices.
    The benefit of having an egomaniac in charge of Russia is that the US will need to maintain a strong military to keep Putin in check.

It's good that you are happy with lower gas prices. This is why securing a stable petroleum supply in the Middle East is important. Oil and gas drive the global economy. If we didn't have access to oil in the Middle East, Russia would gain a lot of leverage. Thankfully that's not the case.
    12-24-2014 12:31 AM
    lol, if I'm reading correctly, you're in Russia? If so, from a U.S. citizen that knows how hard it can be to scratch out a living, you have my apologies. I can see how sanctions against your country can be seen as an act against that country's citizens. Unfortunately, Putin's actions in the Ukraine has forced us to levy sanctions. Hopefully, we can come to a mutual agreement sooner than later. If you are from Russia, what would you say is your country's reaction to Putin? Are they still supportive of him, or are followers starting to think that maybe he overreached in Ukraine?
    Yes, I'm from Russia. Unfortunately our propaganda as well as your good works, and it is difficult to know the truth in fact, and still works best Ukrainian propaganda for its population. In most cases, we read and listen to what we read and hear, not what we want. Therefore, I would like to ask you a question, what is the point and what action you invest in "Putin's actions in the Ukraine"
    And to answer your questions, Putin's rating exceeds the limit, even in difficult times, maybe next year it will fall, but hardly anyone will think that Putin outsmarted with Ukraine. Virtually all of Putin's decision to support the population, even retaliatory sanctions to our country, who beat and we do the same.
    But you're right, hopefully we can come to a mutual agreement.
    12-24-2014 06:27 AM
    Yes, I'm from Russia. Unfortunately our propaganda as well as your good works, and it is difficult to know the truth in fact, and still works best Ukrainian propaganda for its population. In most cases, we read and listen to what we read and hear, not what we want. Therefore, I would like to ask you a question, what is the point and what action you invest in "Putin's actions in the Ukraine"
    And to answer your questions, Putin's rating exceeds the limit, even in difficult times, maybe next year it will fall, but hardly anyone will think that Putin outsmarted with Ukraine. Virtually all of Putin's decision to support the population, even retaliatory sanctions to our country, who beat and we do the same.
    But you're right, hopefully we can come to a mutual agreement.
    My take is that Putin probably needs to "slow his roll" (Western expression for calming down). Having said that, I know the U.S. also has a reputation for overthrowing governments in secret for their own interest. I don't think things will ever change though. Powerful entities will do whatever they can to remain in power or to keep what power they have. Hopefully one day we will all work towards the same goals, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
    12-24-2014 05:49 PM
    Powerful entities will do whatever they can to remain in power or to keep what power they have.
    It is my understanding that when Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, it had nuclear weapons. When the Soviet Union disbanded, Ukraine gave up all the nuclear weapons within its borders with the understanding that other countries (including the US and Russia) would not invade it.

Perhaps the lesson all countries should learn is that if you have nuclear weapons, hold onto to them at all costs. They are an effective deterrent against aggressive nations.
    12-24-2014 11:55 PM
    > Perhaps the lesson all countries should learn is that if you have nuclear weapons, hold onto to them at all costs. They are an effective deterrent against aggressive nations.

fully agreed
    12-25-2014 04:27 PM
    It is my understanding that when Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union, it had nuclear weapons. When the Soviet Union disbanded, Ukraine gave up all the nuclear weapons within its borders with the understanding that other countries (including the US and Russia) would not invade it.

Perhaps the lesson all countries should learn is that if you have nuclear weapons, hold onto to them at all costs. They are an effective deterrent against aggressive nations.
    Well, it would be nuclear weapons in the country in which the riots toppled the government and went to war with their own regions ... and it is good that there are no nuclear weapons, the new government of stupidity could apply it anywhere.

p.s. Iran is trying to develop here a peaceful nuclear program, but that's only sanction rolling in it
    12-29-2014 03:35 AM
    I think that Ukraine not war with their own regions, it war with Russia. In new movie about Crimea, Putin approve that he occupate it and use army. But in last year he say that it wasn't be russian militaries. I think that if Putin was occupate east Ukraine without blood, it approve that it's 'special operation'. But when there are a lot of blood on both side, he told that it's "local militia". Sorry for my english.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    03-15-2015 11:44 AM
    I'm from Russia. And I think that Russia and Putin don't want warm-water ports. But there are fall price of oil and big trouble in economy. Putin rating should be down...But he start 'small' war and get victory. His rating is grow up! I think that it's only for rating, only for lie about enemy. Russian TV always lie.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    03-15-2015 05:55 PM
    I'm from Russia. And I think that Russia and Putin don't want warm-water ports. But there are fall price of oil and big trouble in economy. Putin rating should be down...But he start 'small' war and get victory. His rating is grow up! I think that it's only for rating, only for lie about enemy. Russian TV always lie.
    As a Russian, do you believe that the rest of the world should intervene between Russia and Ukraine?
    03-19-2015 10:39 PM
    Yes, I think that it is necessary. Because, I think that if our government will think that they can do anything, it will be trouble for all world. But I think that it should be only sanctions and help for Ukraine.
    04-02-2015 04:32 PM
    I love my country, my people, but I hate my government. I think that it is dangerous for my country, for my people and for the world.
    04-02-2015 04:54 PM
    Strange to read this from russian.
    04-20-2015 10:40 AM
    Strange to read this from russian.
    Don't worry, that guy Scott7217 speaks native Questionese.......

On a serious note though, what's your perspective and what do you think is missing from the discussion here? The only information we're privy to is that Russia is acting in bad faith by providing weapons to the separatists and we're being told that Russia is actually behind the aggression.
    04-21-2015 05:12 AM
    I love my country, my people, but I hate my government. I think that it is dangerous for my country, for my people and for the world.
    So far, other countries are taking steps to counter Russia:

BBC News -- Poland to buy US Patriot missiles amid Russia tensions (article link)

From the article:

Poland has announced a deal to buy US Patriot surface-to-air missiles, amid rising tension with Russia.

President Bronislaw Komorowski said Poland would start talks with the US to finalise the multibillion contract.

The move follows reports that Russia has deployed missiles in its exclave of Kaliningrad, which borders Poland.

Russia's annexation of Crimea last year and its support for rebels in eastern Ukraine have caused great concern among Nato states, notably in Eastern Europe.

Russia denies accusations by Nato that it is arming the rebels and sending troops into Ukraine.
    04-23-2015 05:51 PM
247 ... 8910