04-23-2015 05:51 PM
247 12345 ...
tools
    Yeah they know our do nothing congress will never approve anything. Sorry you can not put the blame on the president on this one alone. Most of the blame falls on congress and its complete dysfunction. Hell I would be shocked if anything even got out House as the party of No will just to it standard BS.

Do you really expect the GOP to anything but bad mouth the president? Your post started off with pretty much the typical GOP BS and it is pretty clear you do not want ot anything but bad mouth the president.

True and I wouldn't care if the guy in the oval office was Bush or Obama for that matter. I'm pretty sure POTUS, Sec of State, and his advisers craft and mold foreign policy initiatives, not Congress. I would go polish up on policy making 101 and foreign affairs.
    07-29-2014 01:21 PM
    And what would you have him do? You make it sound like it's just happening because it's him and anyone else would have slapped Putin into shape. Putin has been out of control for a long time.

Can you really point to a time in the last 10yrs when Putin attempted to do anything like we're seeing right now?

You can start by accelerating the missile defense shield in Poland and the Czech Republic that was scrapped in 2009 to appease Russia. I honestly think the right economic sanctions could crush their economy in 6 weeks time if we had EU support. The issue has been and will be Germany.
    07-29-2014 01:39 PM
    I honestly think the right economic sanctions could crush their economy in 6 weeks time if we had EU support. The issue has been and will be Germany.
    This is one of the few times I think economic sanctions could work, and I agree the EU needs to the that lead. From what I've been hearing, Russia's economy is already shaky and much of their money is tired up in the European countries. In fact, I just heard both the U.S. and EU are about to hit them with some big ones targeting the banks, arms exports to them, and energy sectors.

That said, I think Putin, like many rogue leaders, only really understand power. So military action shouldn't be off the table, and our governments need to be willing to smack some sense into him via a few well placed warheads if need be.
    07-29-2014 02:46 PM
    This is one of the few times I think economic sanctions could work, and I agree the EU needs to the that lead. From what I've been hearing, Russia's economy is already shaky and much of their money is tired up in the European countries. In fact, I just heard both the U.S. and EU are about to hit them with some big ones targeting the banks, arms exports to them, and energy sectors.

That said, I think Putin, like many rogue leaders, only really understand power. So military action shouldn't be off the table, and our governments need to be willing to smack some sense into him via a few well placed warheads if need be.

The sanctions on arms are for future contracts. France is preparing to hand over 2 carriers in the coming months, I think all current programs need to be included.

The current administration has already voiced military action is off the table. We don't understand the difference between leaving it on the table and in the adversaries mind as a possibility vs. publicly taking it off the table and denouncing all "military action" as a possibility. Dealing with Russia you don't take anything off the table, even if force is dead last or not an option at all, you don't lay down your cards and then start talking. Hell, Russia violated the INF treaty in 2009 and we didn't do a damn thing about it. That was a treaty that helped end the cold war.
    07-29-2014 02:57 PM
    Clearly the rest of the world doesn't take our current Presidents threats and "lines in the sand" very seriously. Obviously we wouldn't go to war. So how do we stop Putin from his imperial aspirations of a reunification of the old Soviet Union?
    Sure, clearly. Did you get that clarification from Fox News, because it sounds like you're just parroting what their pundits are saying. Would you prefer that he send troops into Russia? If not, then please explain what you think Obama should be doing that he's not.

I'm personally sick of the U.S. trying to be the world's police and I think the fact that he's not involving us in all these conflicts is a good thing. That being said, I think it's just the same noise from the same right wing that took us into Iraq and Afghanistan claiming that he's weak. It's a damn shame GWB wasn't "weak" when it came to Iraq. Something tells me that area wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.
    palandri and msndrstood like this.
    07-29-2014 07:29 PM
    I say we nuke em!
    Let's not rush in to anything.
    07-29-2014 07:33 PM
    I think the OP wants us to deploy 300,000 troops to secure the border b/t Ukraine and Russia. From all of history tell us, Russia is not Irak or Afghanistan (as harsh as it sound). We can't bully Russia like we do other little counties around the glove. I wouldn't even think former Pres. Bush would be a fool enough to take such an action.

The best way to deal with Russia is economically and perhaps strengthen NATO in Europe to show Russia that America still has a commitment there and it's willing to defend it.

Military action is not the answer here. Don't take America a fool either, our military is powerful and our technology unsurpassed by any adversary, but I'm sure neither side would like a full scale war b/t the two.

Instead they'll keep using proxy state wars just like the Cold War (Cuba, Iran, Irak, Nicaragua, Vietnam, N. Korea, to name a few)

But a war b/t the two has always puzzled me (not to mention here in S. Florida we can still be nuked in perhaps mts if one of those attacked was to occurred).

If so, how many troops you think would be needed to invade or stop Russian aggression
    07-29-2014 09:03 PM
    Sure, clearly. Did you get that clarification from Fox News, because it sounds like you're just parroting what their pundits are saying. Would you prefer that he send troops into Russia? If not, then please explain what you think Obama should be doing that he's not.

I'm personally sick of the U.S. trying to be the world's police and I think the fact that he's not involving us in all these conflicts is a good thing. That being said, I think it's just the same noise from the same right wing that took us into Iraq and Afghanistan claiming that he's weak. It's a damn shame GWB wasn't "weak" when it came to Iraq. Something tells me that area wouldn't be in the shape it's in now.

What part of "we wouldn't go to war" was ambiguous?

So the US should stay on this side of the pond and what happens over there happens? That's the stance your taking? Let anyone have nukes if they'd like, what business is it of ours. We shouldn't be the "police", so have at it. The US should stay out of everything and turtle away.
    07-30-2014 09:56 AM

So the US should stay on this side of the pond and what happens over there happens? That's the stance your taking? Let anyone have nukes if they'd like, what business is it of ours. We shouldn't be the "police", so have at it. The US should stay out of everything and turtle away.
    Umm yeah we do not nor should we let crazies have nukes. Reason being in how devastating they are to everything and long LONG lasting effects of radiation. Honestly we really should disarm the nukes and not have any. MAD is not good.
    What do you honestly think North Korea would do if they got long range nukes? Do you really think they would not try to use them or threaten to use them.
    07-30-2014 10:37 AM
    MAD is not good.
    M.A.D. Mutually Assured Destruction. A perfect acronym if there ever was one.
    07-30-2014 10:54 AM

Then what do you think he should do that he's NOT doing? He's not "going to war", but to you that apparently means he's "weak", so what should he do? Like I said, just parroting Faux News.
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-30-2014 11:09 AM
    Somewhat an unusual thread merging, given that the 2nd thread title was mostly about how the world finds Obama weak (even though that's mostly from the same camp that thinks he's some sort of dictator) but at least the title of the 2nd thread, which sounds like a Fox News soundbite, is gone.

It does turn the conversation in a different direction. I don't exactly recall the context of the video, who was firing upon who, but I do think that what's happening in Ukraine does need to be addressed by the WORLD, not just our country. Then again, we also have problems in Israel, there's an Ebola outbreak, and I haven't even started to discuss all the domestic issues we're facing. The problem though is that we have a congress and a brainwashed populous that likes talking out of both sides of their mouth. Can we just acknowledge the fact that no matter what he does there are always going to be those critics (that usually breathe out of their mouths) that don't think he's doing anything right?
    msndrstood likes this.
    07-30-2014 12:42 PM
    Can you really point to a time in the last 10yrs when Putin attempted to do anything like we're seeing right now?
    Yes. Georgia. (And I don't mean the U.S. state)

Posted via Android Central App
    msndrstood and anon(92475) like this.
    07-30-2014 11:54 PM

Yes I read of that on the news. Was he PM then or President. We'll either way according to stories they say he's always been in charge even as prime minister he would call shots.
    07-31-2014 09:52 AM
    So how do we stop Putin from his imperial aspirations of a reunification of the old Soviet Union?
    Well, I would make a note to avoid a war in Russia during the winter.
    08-04-2014 12:08 AM
    Well, I would make a note to avoid a war in Russia during the winter.
    This goes without saying. Considering the independent review that just came out of Obama's QDR, there isn't a season right now that looks good to take on Russia.
    08-05-2014 09:57 AM
    I don't exactly recall the context of the video, who was firing upon who, but I do think that what's happening in Ukraine does need to be addressed by the WORLD, not just our country.
    If the world wants to intervene in Ukraine (and other hot spots) and let the US sit this one out, they are free to do so.
    08-08-2014 04:26 PM
    Can we just acknowledge the fact that no matter what he does there are always going to be those critics (that usually breathe out of their mouths) that don't think he's doing anything right?
    There are people who believe that Obama is doing everything wrong, and there are people who believe that Obama is doing everything right.
    08-08-2014 04:31 PM
    Considering the independent review that just came out of Obama's QDR, there isn't a season right now that looks good to take on Russia.
    So, how did the US win the Cold War and contribute to the break up the Soviet Union? Perhaps we could learn something from those strategies and use them to deal with Russia.
    08-08-2014 04:35 PM
    There are people who believe that Obama is doing everything wrong, and there are people who believe that Obama is doing everything right.
    Don't forget those of us that think he's doing a few things right left and a few things wrong.....
    08-08-2014 06:42 PM
    Don't forget those of us that think he's doing a few things right left and a few things wrong.....
    Is there a downside for American inaction in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia? Is the best course of action merely to just stay out?
    08-08-2014 07:31 PM
    Is there a downside for American inaction in the conflict between Ukraine and Russia? Is the best course of action merely to just stay out?
    Yup

Posted via the Android Central App
    08-09-2014 09:39 AM
    There is generally a downside to American inaction since we have interests all over the world. What you have to keep in mind is that even though we live in an age where information availability is better than it's ever been, there are still going to be some key facts that aren't going to be readily available to us.

For instance, I read somewhere (it may have been here) that the Syrian conflict has more to do with the Syrian leader trying to squeeze Europe for a Russian energy company. The Europeans are trying to build a pipeline through a part of Syria to make it cheaper for a Western European friendly oil company to supply Western Europe with oil. This of course would drop prices that a Russian company is currently charging Western Europe. Thus, Putin has no problem supporting the current Syrian leadership.

One of the reasons I don't like the right wing's base of supporting all military action is because I sometimes can't help wonder if we're just fighting some fight for some multinational company's bottom line. Those same large multinational companies tend to have a strong foothold inside our media and have no problem dictating what stories need to be reported to levy support for their cause (which tends to coincide with their bottom line). It's a sad but true realization that you must carry a bit of skepticism even from the most reliable of sources.
    08-09-2014 09:53 AM

Putin didn't enter into another country and annex any part of Georgia for Russia. There was also no commercial airliner being shot out of the sky among other planes
    08-11-2014 12:25 PM
    You mean like how we sat on the sideline in the late 30's and early 40's and watched millions of people slaughtered and countries invaded? Germany rolled through France and Poland, what the hell should we care for.
    08-11-2014 12:27 PM
247 12345 ...