03-09-2014 04:01 PM
175 12345 ...
tools
    No concensus yet. Sorry

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jamestay...ate-consensus/

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
    03-05-2014 06:43 PM
    I just simply disagree. There are some very smart people who think the opposite. For you to command man made climate change to be fact is funny to me. I don't believe it. I'm not alone here. Millions of Americans feel the same as I do. You'll just have to accept that

Good thing feelings and opinions can be trumped with facts and figures then. I do hope that you looked at the link Palandri posted.

As with all science this isn't absolute. That's not to say that I think it's wrong, either. It's just to say that any good science will take new information and adjust the theories accordingly. Right now, evidence and studies are strong enough to support the theory that human are causing unnatural changes to the Earth's climate. Enough that 97% of Climatologist are on board, along with a great number of noteworthy organizations.

If humans aren't a major cause then I do hope that someone somewhere finds evidence of this to present to the scientific community.
    palandri and nolittdroid like this.
    03-05-2014 06:44 PM
    Reread the links sir

03-05-2014 06:44 PM
    You understand the difference between a Meteorologist and Climatologist (Climate Scientist) right?
    anon(464338) likes this.
    03-05-2014 06:45 PM
    You understand the difference between a Meteorologist and Climatologist (Climate Scientist) right?
    Yes. So what's your point

03-05-2014 06:46 PM
    03-05-2014 06:55 PM
    Nice try. This is simply another liberal story that is is run with until people start to believe.

Misleading ‘97 Percent of Scientists’ Claim Resurfaces in NY Times | NewsBusters

So you want to "bust" a "liberal" myth by linking to a "conservative" website? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I'll go with the NASA link over that opinion piece that doesn't argue the merits of the facts, only the way in which they were gathered. I'm sure NASA did a bit more research than the author of that article did. After all, they don't have to worry about launching shuttles anymore so they have plenty of time for other things. :P
    03-05-2014 06:58 PM
    Yes. So what's your point

One can claim to know about climate change and the other can't. The link you posted surveyed meteorologists. Guess what they're experts of? Short term weather patterns.
    03-05-2014 07:00 PM
    I posted another link before that with a response to this "97%"
    My stand is that this uproar is nothing more than political. I remember when I was younger in the 80's when they said the ozone layer was going away. Haven't heard anything about that in 20 years. They're going all out with climate change though..

03-05-2014 07:03 PM
    So you want to "bust" a "liberal" myth by linking to a "conservative" website? Yeah that makes a lot of sense.

I'll go with the NASA link over that opinion piece that doesn't argue the merits of the facts, only the way in which they were gathered. I'm sure NASA did a bit more research than the author of that article did. After all, they don't have to worry about launching shuttles anymore so they have plenty of time for other things. :P
    Ha no I want to turn on every single major network on TV or read the NY Times or Washington post and have my kids indoctrinated.
    Yeah that makes alot of sense!
    Too funny... anyone with an opposing view is disregarded. Typical and predictable.

03-05-2014 07:08 PM
    I posted another link before that with a response to this "97%"
    My stand is that this uproar is nothing more than political. I remember when I was younger in the 80's when they said the ozone layer was going away. Haven't heard anything about that in 20 years. They're going all out with climate change though..

I replied to that link.

Science - Ozone Basics

I can summarize. Less high-level ozone means more heat reaches the Earth's surface. The second to last paragraph spells out exactly what we're doing that depletes the high-level ozone layer that's supposed to protect us. But I guess that's just all politics, right?

So, that stuff you haven't heard anything about in 20 years has continued to be studied, and the conclusion is that it's still being depleted, and now we even know where and that it has "seasons".

Hmm...maybe there's a connection, scientifically speaking, between the ozone layer depletion and this global warming/climate change stuff. Just a thought. I'll let everyone ponder that.

(since climate change is far more long term than the ozone depletion that was brought up and I'm not going to do the research to back that up, which is why I presented it as an idea and not scientific hypothesis)
    03-05-2014 07:13 PM
    Ha no I want to turn on every single major network on TV or read the NY Times or Washington post and have my kids indoctrinated.
    Yeah that makes alot of sense!
    Too funny... anyone with an opposing view is disregarded. Typical and predictable.

Ignoring facts with scare-mongering tactics. Predictable.
    03-05-2014 07:15 PM
    No concensus yet. Sorry
    Does Tim Cook need a consensus in the scientific community before implementing an environmental policy for Apple? I think if people had a problem with that, the board of directors would have fired him a long time ago.
    GadgetGator likes this.
    03-05-2014 07:18 PM
    I replied to that link.
    Good for you buddy. I'm done.. I don't even agree on why global warming is on the forefront much less if its actually man made. You can crown yourself if you wish.

03-05-2014 07:19 PM
    Good for you buddy. I'm done.. I don't even agree on why global warming is on the forefront much less if its actually man made. You can crown yourself if you wish.

What's it on the forefront of? Words out of a CEO's mouth? Would it be more acceptable if he was speaking about something else?

I just perused CNN.com, which is a mainstream news organization, and as such should be spewing out whatever it is "they" think we want to hear, right? Maybe to distract us from other things that are going on. I didn't see anything about climate change on the main page, or in the US section, or the Tech section, or the Science section. Am I missing something or is the only reason we're talking about climate change right now, in this thread, on these forums, because of what the Apple CEO said about it? Makes me wonder if you would care as much if Eric Schmidt said it. I said it before, and you didn't reply directly to it, that it appears that you're looking for justification to not like Apple, and that you want to spread that dislike any way you can. That's fine. You can do that, but don't get mad when not everyone decides to drink your flavor of kool-aid.
    Scott7217 likes this.
    03-05-2014 07:29 PM
    Good one...

03-05-2014 07:45 PM
    I just simply disagree. There are some very smart people who think the opposite. For you to command man made climate change to be fact is funny to me. I don't believe it. I'm not alone here. Millions of Americans feel the same as I do. You'll just have to accept that
    Good grief...you just disagree so it makes your claim a fact? No....it just makes it an opinion. And because there is no consensus you think that backs you up? What do you want? 100% agreement on something before you think it's true? There's no consensus on anything...ever. So by that logic the Earth might still be flat and the sun spins around the Earth since someone on the planet might think so.

I still scratch my head at how storm after storm can come...the type we have never seen before...and some people think nothing has changed. Talk about sticking your head in the sand.
    03-05-2014 07:50 PM
    Good grief...you just disagree so it makes your claim a fact? No....it just makes it an opinion. And because there is no consensus you think that backs you up? What do you want? 100% agreement on something before you think it's true? There's no consensus on anything...ever. So by that logic the Earth might still be flat and the sun spins around the Earth since someone on the planet might think so.

I still scratch my head at how storm after storm can come...the type we have never seen before...and some people think nothing has changed. Talk about sticking your head in the sand.
    You know your really being silly. Where did I say my views are fact? I believe it's a political issue myself. One to make good money on. I nor you will EVER be able to be proven right which make both of our views OPINION. Don't be putting words in my mouth. I'm not trying to sway anyone here or whatever you are talking about. A link was posted and I posted a rebuttal. Half of the country is divided on this subject. Thats fact! Let's just agree to disagree.

03-05-2014 08:12 PM
    Am I missing something or is the only reason we're talking about climate change right now, in this thread, on these forums, because of what the Apple CEO said about it? Makes me wonder if you would care as much if Eric Schmidt said it.
    That's an excellent point. In the case of Google, here is their website that explains their environmental stance, Google Green:

Google Green

Excerpt from the website:

"A better web. Better for the environment."

"Google is creating a better web that's better for the environment. Were greening our company by using resources efficiently and supporting renewable power. That means when you use Google products, youre being better to the environment."

"We've eliminated our impact on climate change since 2007."

"Our data centers use 50% less energy than the typical data center."

"We've committed over $1 billion to renewable energy projects."

"A business using Gmail decreases its environmental impact by up to 98%."
    Kevin OQuinn likes this.
    03-05-2014 08:16 PM
    Well I have an iPhone 5s and a Note3 and I ain't no sheep. "Ya gotta problem wit tat" ( with my best Brooklyn voice)...SMILE
    anon(464338) likes this.
    03-05-2014 08:20 PM
    In case people are interested, here's Microsoft's position on climate change:

Microsoft Environment - Public Policy

Excerpt from "Our Climate Change Policy" on the Microsoft website:

"Microsoft Climate Change Policy Statement"

"Climate change is a serious challenge that requires a comprehensive and global response from all sectors of society. To address it, Microsoft is committed to measuring, transparently reporting, and reducing the carbon footprint of our own operations. We are also pursuing opportunities with our partners to increase the energy efficiency of computing."
    03-05-2014 08:28 PM
    Record flooding where? When was the last record?
    January was England's wettest winter month in almost 250 years | UK news | The Observer

USGS Responds to Record Flooding in Colorado | Science Features

Yahoo News Canada - Latest News & Headlines

Still recovering from southern Alberta's record floods, officials look to prevent the next one | Calgary | News | Calgary Sun

Record floods continue in North and Central Europe | euronews, world news

Mexico Record Rainfall and Historic Flooding | Esri Disaster Map

Floods follow heat in Adelaide's crazy summer - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

BBC News - Peru, Chile and Bolivia hit by floods after heavy rain

Record Crests at Midwest Rivers; Flooding to Continue This Week

We're talking about doing things that we haven't had to do before....like building walls around NYC to keep the water out. That represents a substantial change.

We've had extreme weather changes before, that were obviously not due to human intervention.
    Yes, but have we had record hurricanes, record tornados, and record flooding all over the place in the same relatively short number of years on a global basis? Some people seem to want to ignore that any change has occurred at all. To me that is dumb because obviously something has changed. Now, maybe people are involved in that, maybe not. But for anyone to state as factual that humans are not the cause is blowing smoke out of their tail pipe. And to overlook humans as a potential cause would be short sighted.

I've got a question for those that think humans can't possibly be responsible for anything that goes on this planet.....Do you really think that we can add an unlimited number of humans to the planet and pump out an unlimited amount of carbon into the atmosphere and never have any effect on things? Ever? Really?????

It's logical to draw the conclusion that at some point we would start to have an impact on things. Have we reached that point yet? Unknown. But while we dink around debating it, we continue to pump out pollution into our atmosphere as if it's no big deal. Like a teenager who thinks they are immortal and nothing can harm them so put the pedal to the metal. Is that wise? I say no, it is not.
    03-05-2014 08:29 PM
    Heres the latest IPCC report from September 2013. I am not taking a position here, just found the findings to be interesting.

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online
    You know your really being silly. Where did I say my views are fact? I believe it's a political issue myself. One to make good money on. I nor you will EVER be able to be proven right which make both of our views OPINION. Don't be putting words in my mouth. I'm not trying to sway anyone here or whatever you are talking about. A link was posted and I posted a rebuttal. Half of the country is divided on this subject. Thats fact! Let's just agree to disagree.

Can you prove that the country is split even on the issue of climate change? Please, no links to polls either. Those are political in nature.
    Heres the latest IPCC report from September 2013. I am not taking a position here, just found the findings to be interesting.

World's top climate scientists confess: Global warming is just QUARTER what we thought - and computers got the effects of greenhouse gases wrong | Mail Online
    That's actually a parsing of a leak of the report. Depending on what was decided to be the main focus, what was left out, what was chosen to be in the article, it could even misrepresent the report. I'm not saying that's the case, but it does need to be pointed out as a possibility. Good thing I didn't quote the IPCC at all here. At least not directly or that I'm aware of.

I think it's interesting that some of the scientists they quoted in there want to go to a more sound science when determining conclusions about climate change. If they IPCC isn't following a sound scientific principle than that's just wrong, and those scientists calling for change are right.

It's also a known thing that science can make mistakes, and that things will need to be adjusted. That happens all the time. You get new information, you adjust the models, you try to do the best you can with what's available. Not knowing an answer isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not trying to find the answer, though, is a terrible thing.

The take away for me is that no single report or study should be taken as the sole source of information for policy/decision making when it comes to climate change. The IPCC might be well funded, and have a lot of bright people, but it's still just one study, with one conclusion. I would need to do more research to determine how much peer review goes into this report, but that one article that was linked leads me to believe that it isn't as much as there should be given the scope and importance of the IPCC report.
    03-05-2014 08:45 PM
175 12345 ...