02-03-2015 05:27 AM
401 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Ugh, I can't believe you feel that poor people don't have any 'skin' in the game because of their income. THAT is exactly what is wrong with the country today.

Ugh. I don't even know what else to say about that. That you think so little of your fellow countrymen says volumes about the state of this country.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    What is wrong with this country is that we have elevated the poor while demonizing the rich. We have attached a kind nobility to those that are struggling to make ends meet while turning those that are actually productive into something less than human. When I say productive, I am not talking about those that make a living scamming and defrauding others, I am talking about those that actually make things. I am talking about the builders, the architects, the doctors, the inventors, the people that keep this country moving. I am talking about the ones that we can not live without, the ones that keep the lights on and the fuel in our tanks. You talk about having "skin in the game"? How much more do you want from the men and women that put in 90 hours a week just to make your life a little more comfortable? You've already taken their blood, sweat and tears, now, you want their skin too?
    04-02-2014 07:09 PM
    What is wrong with this country is that we have elevated the poor while demonizing the rich. We have attached a kind nobility to those that are struggling to make ends meet while turning those that are actually productive into something less than human. When I say productive, I am not talking about those that make a living scamming and defrauding others, I am talking about those that actually make things. I am talking about the builders, the architects, the doctors, the inventors, the people that keep this country moving. I am talking about the ones that we can not live without, the ones that keep the lights on and the fuel in our tanks. You talk about having "skin in the game"? How much more do you want from the men and women that put in 90 hours a week just to make your life a little more comfortable? You've already taken their blood, sweat and tears, now, you want their skin too?
    We elevated the rich for 1000s of years. They get enough lime light as is. They have enough privileges making more money than entire families can make in a year. They'll be fine paying taxes. The poor has been beaten and tread on for years in history, we now have the clout to do something and help ease their suffering and pain but still there is those, who for the most part have never experienced true lower class income (projects, ghettos, the hood, take your pick), but yet and still say they'll be fine, they'll figure it out. I wonder if you would have said the same thing during the depression? Or the Dust Bowl?

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    msndrstood likes this.
    04-02-2014 07:24 PM
    Wow. We are not even on the some planet much less the same page.

A895, palandri and rexxman like this.
    04-02-2014 07:25 PM
    A895, I'm just curious what you think the rich should pay. Do you believe there's a limit at all?
    04-02-2014 07:27 PM
    A895, I'm just curious what you think the rich should pay. Do you believe there's a limit at all?
    Let there be a limit, but it better be more than someone earns less than $50K. Seeing people who make millions pay less income tax percentage than those who earn less is kind of frustrating.

msndrstood and palandri like this.
    04-02-2014 07:30 PM
    We elevated the rich for 1000s of years. They get enough lime light as is. They have enough privileges making more money than entire families can make in a year. They'll be fine paying taxes. The poor has been beaten and tread on for years in history, we now have the clout to do something and help ease their suffering and pain but still there is those, who for the most part have never experienced true lower class income (projects, ghettos, the hood, take your pick), but yet and still say they'll be fine, they'll figure it out. I wonder if you would have said the same thing during the depression? Or the Dust Bowl?

Tell you what, let's think about something for a minute. What would happen if the producers went on strike for a month? What if there were no doctors, truck drivers, farmers, oil rig workers, refinery workers, or any number of others that actually make things? Would we miss them? Would life just go on as normal? I don't think so.

Now, imagine that we take away the poor people you care about so much. Would we miss them? Would we care about having to bag our own groceries or make our own dinner instead of stopping at a drive thru? We may have to start brewing our own coffee. Oh the humanity.

Ask yourself which of the two groups you would miss the most if you were to wake up tomorrow and find them not at their posts. I'd much rather know that the lab tech is hard at work looking for new ways to cure disease than know the people in the ghetto are hard at work spreading them. I'd rather the farmer making sure my pantry stays full then the person in the hood that wants a cut of my food budget.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    04-02-2014 07:59 PM
    Tell you what, let's think about something for a minute. What would happen if the producers went on strike for a month? What if there were no doctors, truck drivers, farmers, oil rig workers, refinery workers, or any number of others that actually make things? Would we miss them? Would life just go on as normal? I don't think so.

Now, imagine that we take away the poor people you care about so much. Would we miss them? Would we care about having to bag our own groceries or make our own dinner instead of stopping at a drive thru? We may have to start brewing our own coffee. Oh the humanity.

Ask yourself which of the two groups you would miss the most if you were to wake up tomorrow and find them not at their posts. I'd much rather know that the lab tech is hard at work looking for new ways to cure disease than know the people in the ghetto are hard at work spreading them. I'd rather the farmer making sure my pantry stays full then the person in the hood that wants a cut of my food budget.
    What's the benefit of dehumanizing either group? We may not share wealth but surely we can share dignity?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.
    A895, msndrstood, palandri and 1 others like this.
    04-02-2014 08:01 PM

My god. I have no words for this....

msndrstood and palandri like this.
    04-02-2014 08:16 PM
    Let there be a limit, but it better be more than someone earns less than $50K. Seeing people who make millions pay less income tax percentage than those who earn less is kind of frustrating.
    A) We only have government and lobyist to blame for allowing that to even be possible.

B) Would you agree to something like what the Fair Tax does, putting the power of when to pay back into the individual by taxing only new items and not used? Then the only person responsible for your particular tax burdon is you, not some loophole crafted by politicians.
    04-02-2014 08:22 PM
    What's the benefit of dehumanizing either group? We may not share wealth but surely we can share dignity?

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.
    There used to be an element of shame when asking for a handout. That is what prompted people to get off of those programs. It was humiliating to walk into a store and pull out a booklet of of their colorful pretend money to pay for your groceries. Now, they disguise the plastic cards to look like any other debit or credit card and people walk around in poor neighborhoods bragging about how much they got. There are videos on youtube glorifying the use of EBT. People in the ghetto are driving Escalades with 22" rims with the bass rattling the windows while they post selfies taken on their new iphone or S4. It's an outrage being behind someone in the store digging through wads of bills to find their EBT card. Then you find out that they have 4 kids from 3 different men, none of which are paying child support, while their boyfriend lives rent free in their government housing.

All the while, I am the bad guy for staying with my wife, raising the children I made, and paying all of my own bills.
    04-02-2014 08:23 PM
    ...B) Would you agree to something like what the Fair Tax does, putting the power of when to pay back into the individual by taxing only new items and not used? Then the only person responsible for your particular tax burdon is you, not some loophole crafted by politicians.
    For some reason this song comes to mind when I think of the Fair Tax:

You put your right foot in. You take your right foot out. You put your right foot in and you shake it all about. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about
    04-02-2014 08:40 PM

You put your right foot in. You take your right foot out. You put your right foot in and you shake it all about. You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around. That's what it's all about
    Lol ๐Ÿ˜

I would have never guessed the hokey pokie could work itself into this conversion.

palandri and A895 like this.
    04-02-2014 08:42 PM

Now that you mention it, the same could be said for your flat tax idea.
    04-02-2014 08:54 PM
    A) We only have government and lobyist to blame for allowing that to even be possible.

B) Would you agree to something like what the Fair Tax does, putting the power of when to pay back into the individual by taxing only new items and not used? Then the only person responsible for your particular tax burdon is you, not some loophole crafted by politicians.
    Mooncatt in one to two paragraphs, can you explain to me what the Fair Tax is?

04-02-2014 09:11 PM
    Lol ๐Ÿ˜

I would have never guessed the hokey pokie could work itself into this conversion.

If a conversation on the internet goes on long enough, anything can work itself in.

msndrstood likes this.
    04-02-2014 09:12 PM

Let us know when you start the thinking process k?
    A895 and msndrstood like this.
    04-02-2014 09:33 PM
    Mooncatt in one to two paragraphs, can you explain to me what the Fair Tax is?
    There's two main parts to the plan. The very broad 30,000 foot view of it is all federal income, payroll, corporate, and other taxes would be removed, the 16th Amendment would be repealed, and the IRS abolished. It would be replaced by a national inclusive retail sales tax of 23% (the current listed rate, meaning if the shelf label is $100, then $77 is for the product and $23 is tax) on all new goods and services paid by the end consumer. Without going too into the nitty gritty, we already pay about that much on average in embedded taxes as business taxes and such are built into the cost of goods and services that we buy anyway, so the shelf prices at the retail level should average out to being about the same or maybe a little over. Since you're now keeping all of your pay check, your buying power is immediately improved. Anything bought used would not be subject to the tax either, further increasing buying power and lowering your tax burden if you wished.

The other major point is the prebate, which I discussed a bit earlier. For completeness of explination, I'll include it again here. It's universally agreed that a sales tax is regressive, and the prebate was designed to specifically offset this without giving unfair advantages to anyone. The organizers believed that no one should pay taxes on the bare neccessities of life. Some could argue why not exempt things like food, medicine, mortgages, etc. The problems with that is a rich person could throw a big party and pay for all the food tax free, leaving exemptions in there for certain things opens up the slippery slope for lobyists to convince politicians their particular good/service is a neccessity, and every exemption made would require a higher tax rate on everything else to offset it. So instead, you fill out a form with you family size and SSN's to determine what your poverty rate is. Using made up numbers to be easy to explain, lets say your poverty rate is $20,000. Meaning you'd be expected to spend that much to simply survive. Your tax @23% inclusive would be $4,600/yr ($20,000 X 0.23). Spread that across 12 months and it would be $383.33/mo in tax only spent. So at the first of the month (hense the name "prebate"), you'd receive a check for $383.33 (or debit card nowadays) to offset that poverty level tax. This applies to everyone, regardless of income level. In fact, no income information would ever be collected by the government for taxation purposes under the plan.

Like I said, that was the broad overview of the plan itself. To discuss all of its implications would go much more in depth. I discussed some already earlier and I've done a lot of explaining already in past threads quite thoroughly. Searching for "Fair Tax" on here should pull them up if you want to go read up on them more. I've looked into it quite a bit and can answer just about any question on it.

If a conversation on the internet goes on long enough, anything can work itself in.
    Yeah, I'm surprised a certain comparison has been made yet. And no, I'm not going to be tricked into saying what that is yet.
    04-02-2014 10:24 PM
    There used to be an element of shame when asking for a handout. That is what prompted people to get off of those programs. It was humiliating to walk into a store and pull out a booklet of of their colorful pretend money to pay for your groceries. Now, they disguise the plastic cards to look like any other debit or credit card and people walk around in poor neighborhoods bragging about how much they got. There are videos on youtube glorifying the use of EBT. People in the ghetto are driving Escalades with 22" rims with the bass rattling the windows while they post selfies taken on their new iphone or S4. It's an outrage being behind someone in the store digging through wads of bills to find their EBT card. Then you find out that they have 4 kids from 3 different men, none of which are paying child support, while their boyfriend lives rent free in their government housing.

All the while, I am the bad guy for staying with my wife, raising the children I made, and paying all of my own bills.
    So the premise, is because of the perception of ingratitude or a disagreement with how resources are utilized, that people should be treated as sub-human? Which, if any, rights would you "grant" them? Our Constitution and the general understanding of human rights, along with basically every school of ethics indicate that there is nothing they can do which should make us denigrate their status as a human being, but perhaps you disagree.

As far as the perception goes, it's been established several times that the actual abuse (especially the type you're describing) is very rare, statistically and we probably shouldn't let coded racist anecdotal accounts from the media change our clarity on the facts.

Here are some actual facts to consider that don't fit the assumptions that many people have:

Approximately 1 in 7 Americans utilize the SNAP program at any given point in time.

Unemployment is currently stuck around 1 in 12 persons being involuntarily unemployed.

The average amount received per person per month is not increasing and is about $133, or $1.40 per meal. The average SNAP household has a take-home income of about $338 and an average of $331 for non-nourishment necessities, such as childcare, medical bills, rent, etc. That leaves an average of $7 per month for the entire household to cover food, utilities, etc. This is why we have a program. $7 will feed no one for a month in the United States, let alone a family.

Over 55% of the recipients are children or elderly. Including disabled persons, that number jumps to over 75%. 83% of benefits go to those households.

There are at least as many or more Caucasian recipients than African, Asian and Hispanic/Latino Americans combined.

Aside from Maine, Michigan, Oregon and Washington, the states that use SNAP benefits the most (as a percentage of population) are concentrated in the Southern United States.

For the past 40 years, the number of persons receiving benefits has run parallel to the number of persons living in poverty.

Less than 30% of Americans support "major cuts" to this program, the same percentage that oppose any and all cuts. The remainder can agree to modest cuts and/or restructuring to reduce waste.

Approximately $0.0130 per dollar invested is "trafficked". That means for every fraudulent user in this category (reseller), there are 77 honest people being helped.

People receiving benefits simply because they are unemployed are limited to a total of 3 months of benefits during any 3 year period UNLESS they are actively enrolled and participating in a qualifying job training program.

Benefits do not decline as fast as new income rises. For every additional dollar a recipient earns, their benefits decline by an average of $0.30 (until they meet the cap). This provides INCENTIVE to finding a job and earning as much as they can, working as many hours as they can and continually seeking better positions.

Illegal immigrants are ineligible for SNAP under all circumstances. Legal immigrants must wait at least 5 years before applying for benefits.
    A895, palandri and msndrstood like this.
    04-02-2014 11:14 PM
    So the premise, is because of the perception of ingratitude or a disagreement with how resources are utilized, that people should be treated as sub-human? Which, if any, rights would you "grant" them? Our Constitution and the general understanding of human rights, along with basically every school of ethics indicate that there is nothing they can do which should make us denigrate their status as a human being, but perhaps you disagree.

As far as the perception goes, it's been established several times that the actual abuse (especially the type you're describing) is very rare, statistically and we probably shouldn't let coded racist anecdotal accounts from the media change our clarity on the facts.
    I am not advocating the removal of any rights for anyone. The problem is, I cannot find it anywhere in the constitution that one person's need entitles them to any form of government handout. Maybe I'm reading an old copy or I'm missing pages. Could you please reference the amendment for me?

The abuses I have described are based off of personal experience. I have not, and hopefully will not, made any mention of race. Unfortunately, I have many family members abusing government programs and due to my work am constantly being sent to low income areas. The methods of defrauding the system have been explained to me many times and I have even been urged to participate. The biggest problem with the rate of fraud that is being reported on is that many of the people are not being caught. It would be like saying only 1% of motorists exceed the speed limit when all we are basing it on are the number of tickets issued.
    04-03-2014 12:18 AM
    ..... The methods of defrauding the system have been explained to me many times and I have even been urged to participate. The biggest problem with the rate of fraud that is being reported on is that many of the people are not being caught. It would be like saying only 1% of motorists exceed the speed limit when all we are basing it on are the number of tickets issued....
    So are you telling us that you feel no obligation to report this fraud?
    04-03-2014 01:00 AM
    I am not advocating the removal of any rights for anyone. The problem is, I cannot find it anywhere in the constitution that one person's need entitles them to any form of government handout. Maybe I'm reading an old copy or I'm missing pages. Could you please reference the amendment for me?

The abuses I have described are based off of personal experience. I have not, and hopefully will not, made any mention of race. Unfortunately, I have many family members abusing government programs and due to my work am constantly being sent to low income areas. The methods of defrauding the system have been explained to me many times and I have even been urged to participate. The biggest problem with the rate of fraud that is being reported on is that many of the people are not being caught. It would be like saying only 1% of motorists exceed the speed limit when all we are basing it on are the number of tickets issued.
    To be clear, I am absolutely not stating that you are or accusing you of a racist person. I am stating that much of the motivation behind the divisive propaganda shoved into people's living rooms regarding this and other subjects is concealed in a very thinly veiled exploitation of many people's fears, which can often include race. The terms that you are using are in common and in line with those used by the mouth pieces, which suggests that your articulation of your experiences is at least in some way influenced, even if only in the description, by their efforts to mislead, distract and divide. That does not mean you have the same motivations as they, but that you've heard their rants. To state it another way, I'm reading Steven Hawking and his descriptions of physics absolutely influence how I am thinking about the subject and were I talking about it, I'd probably have similar language and themes in my speech - but that wouldn't necessarily mean that I buy fully into all of Hawking's theories or that I am speaking similarly for the same reasons that he writes about it. But anyone hearing my comments would be able to connect the influence, etc. Make sense? My post included, "coded racist anecdotal accounts from the media" specifically because their the primary source of the misinformation campaign.
    04-03-2014 01:29 AM
    There's two main parts to the plan. The very broad 30,000 foot view of it is all federal income, payroll, corporate, and other taxes would be removed, the 16th Amendment would be repealed, and the IRS abolished. It would be replaced by a national inclusive retail sales tax of 23% (the current listed rate, meaning if the shelf label is $100, then $77 is for the product and $23 is tax) on all new goods and services paid by the end consumer. Without going too into the nitty gritty, we already pay about that much on average in embedded taxes as business taxes and such are built into the cost of goods and services that we buy anyway, so the shelf prices at the retail level should average out to being about the same or maybe a little over. Since you're now keeping all of your pay check, your buying power is immediately improved. Anything bought used would not be subject to the tax either, further increasing buying power and lowering your tax burden if you wished.

The other major point is the prebate, which I discussed a bit earlier. For completeness of explination, I'll include it again here. It's universally agreed that a sales tax is regressive, and the prebate was designed to specifically offset this without giving unfair advantages to anyone. The organizers believed that no one should pay taxes on the bare neccessities of life. Some could argue why not exempt things like food, medicine, mortgages, etc. The problems with that is a rich person could throw a big party and pay for all the food tax free, leaving exemptions in there for certain things opens up the slippery slope for lobyists to convince politicians their particular good/service is a neccessity, and every exemption made would require a higher tax rate on everything else to offset it. So instead, you fill out a form with you family size and SSN's to determine what your poverty rate is. Using made up numbers to be easy to explain, lets say your poverty rate is $20,000. Meaning you'd be expected to spend that much to simply survive. Your tax @23% inclusive would be $4,600/yr ($20,000 X 0.23). Spread that across 12 months and it would be $383.33/mo in tax only spent. So at the first of the month (hense the name "prebate"), you'd receive a check for $383.33 (or debit card nowadays) to offset that poverty level tax. This applies to everyone, regardless of income level. In fact, no income information would ever be collected by the government for taxation purposes under the plan.

Like I said, that was the broad overview of the plan itself. To discuss all of its implications would go much more in depth. I discussed some already earlier and I've done a lot of explaining already in past threads quite thoroughly. Searching for "Fair Tax" on here should pull them up if you want to go read up on them more. I've looked into it quite a bit and can answer just about any question on it.
    A repeal of an amendment? That sounds like that would take a copious amount of support on both sides of the aisle.

04-03-2014 05:22 AM
    To be clear, I am absolutely not stating that you are or accusing you of a racist person. I am stating that much of the motivation behind the divisive propaganda shoved into people's living rooms regarding this and other subjects is concealed in a very thinly veiled exploitation of many people's fears, which can often include race. The terms that you are using are in common and in line with those used by the mouth pieces, which suggests that your articulation of your experiences is at least in some way influenced, even if only in the description, by their efforts to mislead, distract and divide. That does not mean you have the same motivations as they, but that you've heard their rants. To state it another way, I'm reading Steven Hawking and his descriptions of physics absolutely influence how I am thinking about the subject and were I talking about it, I'd probably have similar language and themes in my speech - but that wouldn't necessarily mean that I buy fully into all of Hawking's theories or that I am speaking similarly for the same reasons that he writes about it. But anyone hearing my comments would be able to connect the influence, etc. Make sense? My post included, "coded racist anecdotal accounts from the media" specifically because their the primary source of the misinformation campaign.
    Thank you for the explanation. I try not to let the media influence my thoughts and instead make the attempt to rely on what I see in my own life. I may feel differently if my observations were just "one off" occurrences, but I see it happening every day and it tends to wear on a person's soul after a while. We have a system in place that punishes those that follows the rules and rewards those that break them. I know that programs are set up in the name of the public good, but these same programs are eroding the foundations of this country making every generation a little worse than the one before. We are living in a time when wants equal needs and needs are rights and all rights are to be provided by the government. People are not taking the time to realize that every penny spent by government is either taken from someone that has earned it or borrowed from future generations.
    04-03-2014 08:37 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. I try not to let the media influence my thoughts and instead make the attempt to rely on what I see in my own life. I may feel differently if my observations were just "one off" occurrences, but I see it happening every day and it tends to wear on a person's soul after a while. We have a system in place that punishes those that follows the rules and rewards those that break them. I know that programs are set up in the name of the public good, but these same programs are eroding the foundations of this country making every generation a little worse than the one before. We are living in a time when wants equal needs and needs are rights and all rights are to be provided by the government. People are not taking the time to realize that every penny spent by government is either taken from someone that has earned it or borrowed from future generations.
    How else do we keep a government going? On hopes and dreams? Taxes is what started this country and how are founding fathers got stuff done. Andrew Jackson himself was willing to put his foot down and say "You listen to me, I am your president". Instead of moving forward its seem people want to regress to the way things were, but I think people forget that things are a LOT better than it was. Well, besides the inflation. What I would give to be in the times where $20 could be a nice night on the town. $20 barely gets you in a restaurant for two nowadays.

04-03-2014 08:57 AM
    A repeal of an amendment? That sounds like that would take a copious amount of support on both sides of the aisle.
    The reports I'm getting are that there are a growing number of sponsors for the bill. The problem is many congressmen and women would support it, but afraid doing so would upset their constituency. So this needs more of a ground up approach from the public first. Also, there is a one year window on the repeal. After passage, if the amendment isn't repealed, then the Fair Tax automatically reverts back to our current structure to avoid having two tax systems in place.
    A895 likes this.
    04-03-2014 09:26 AM
401 ... 89101112 ...