02-03-2015 05:27 AM
401 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Where is it going besides in the bank and the odd foundation or charity?
    I've no doubt they enjoy a fair bit, but much goes to various philanthropic uses. Entire foundations are created from just one family. Those are putting that money to much better use than the government would. We do need tax, but we wouldn't need near as much if they didn't waste so much.
    LOL! John Stossel and Fox News! 97% the of scientific community believe our current climate change is likely caused by human activity. How could Bill Nye possible lose that debate? It just shows you how bogus Fox News is. If I had a dollar for every time Fox News spun the truth, I'd be a millionaire!
    Here's the debate in question if you wish to watch.

Check your numbers, because many of the scientists are finding flaws in the studies and no longer falling lock step in with the political consensus.
    03-31-2014 03:24 PM
    ...Here's the debate in question if you wish to watch.
    Check your numbers, because many of the scientists are finding flaws in the studies and no longer falling lock step in with the political consensus.
    LOL! I've seen the research done and I agree with the 97% majority of the scientific community. Fox News makes it a political issue, NASA doesn't. I'll stick with NASA.
    03-31-2014 03:42 PM
    LOL! John Stossel and Fox News! 97% the of scientific community believe our current climate change is likely caused by human activity. How could Bill Nye possible lose that debate? It just shows you how bogus Fox News is. If I had a dollar for every time Fox News spun the truth, I'd be a millionaire!
    Thanks, Palandri. Today isn't my best, I was hoping you'd pick up the slack on this one for me.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    palandri and A895 like this.
    03-31-2014 03:44 PM
    I've no doubt they enjoy a fair bit, but much goes to various philanthropic uses. Entire foundations are created from just one family. Those are putting that money to much better use than the government would. We do need tax, but we wouldn't need near as much if they didn't waste so much.

Here's the debate in question if you wish to watch.

I viewed the linked YouTube and there was no debate to win or lose. In other words, a debate did not take place. That was just entertainment which to me was not that entertaining. More reminiscent of Wally George than academia.

Posted via Android Central App
    03-31-2014 04:17 PM
    So the government should be supporting charities? Or supporting the people who the charities are for?
    03-31-2014 05:18 PM
    I'm still not understanding it as a tax if the insurance companies are the ones who raised the rates. The money does not go to the Government so its not a tax.

Sent from my XT1060 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    ObamaCare Supreme Court Ruling
    If Obamacare is not a tax, someone needs to let the Supreme Court know.

"The Affordable Care Act's requirement that certain individuals pay a financial penalty for not obtaining health insurance may reasonably be characterized as a tax. Because the Constitution permits such a tax, it is not our role to forbid it, or to pass upon its wisdom or fairness."
    03-31-2014 06:05 PM
    ObamaCare Supreme Court Ruling
    If Obamacare is not a tax, someone needs to let the Supreme Court know.

I personally think John Roberts tried to classify it as a tax because he wanted to give the right wing more ammo (as if those gun totting nuts don't have enough) so the right could clamor with the tagline of "tax and spend democrats are evil, vote GOP in 2012".
    A895 likes this.
    03-31-2014 06:15 PM
    Ah yes.... the inevitable "someone should pay more just not me."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    How much money does one person need to feel safe and secure while their fellow man starves and struggles to make ends meet? Kind of funny because the more money they hoard, the tighter it gets for everyone else until all the money in the world won't save them from mobs of angry hoards. Bill Gates gets it. Look at what he's doing in Africa. Does Marie Antoinette ring a bell? Let them eat cake indeed....

In case you don't remember your history lesson, this is what happened to her.....She did always want to get a head right?

Let's Make Them Squeal!-1268968937122_1268968937122_r.jpg
    msndrstood and A895 like this.
    03-31-2014 06:25 PM
    How much money does one person need to feel safe and secure while their fellow man starves and struggles to make ends meet? Kind of funny because the more money they hoard, the tighter it gets for everyone else until all the money in the world won't save them from mobs of angry hoards. Bill Gates gets it. Look at what he's doing in Africa. Does Marie Antoinette ring a bell? Let them eat cake indeed....

In case you don't remember your history lesson, this is what happened to her.....She did always want to get a head right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1268968937122_1268968937122_r.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	110305
    You and Palandri are helping me out today and you don't even know it. You're making all the points today that I wish I could. So this one is for you guys 🍺

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3
    palandri and A895 like this.
    03-31-2014 07:00 PM
    I personally think John Roberts tried to classify it as a tax because he wanted to give the right wing more ammo (as if those gun totting nuts don't have enough) so the right could clamor with the tagline of "tax and spend democrats are evil, vote GOP in 2012".
    Or, he classified it as a tax because the government can legally collect taxes but not impose fees on us for our non participation.
    03-31-2014 07:02 PM
    The question is not how much anyone needs but what part of a person's wealth is owed to another? Bill Gates can do what he wants with his own money, he earned it. If he chooses to give it all away or bury it in the back yard is none of my concern. Thing is, if he lost everything tomorrow, I know that he is a brilliant man and could make it all back if he desired. The same cannot be said for those that his higher taxes are subsidizing. We have become a country that elevates mediocrity and subsidizes failure. It has become more noble to hold your hand out to the government than to pay for everything through your own labor. I don't begrudge anyone that is successful. They have probably worked harder and sacrificed more than I have to get to where they are. I admire my doctor because I know I could not have given up so much of my life the same way he did.There once was, and should be again, some degree of shame in going to a store with food stamps. Now, people hold their head high knowing that it's my money they are using to buy their steak and shrimp.
    Serial Fordicator likes this.
    03-31-2014 07:17 PM
    The question is not how much anyone needs but what part of a person's wealth is owed to another? Bill Gates can do what he wants with his own money, he earned it. If he chooses to give it all away or bury it in the back yard is none of my concern. Thing is, if he lost everything tomorrow, I know that he is a brilliant man and could make it all back if he desired. The same cannot be said for those that his higher taxes are subsidizing. We have become a country that elevates mediocrity and subsidizes failure. It has become more noble to hold your hand out to the government than to pay for everything through your own labor. I don't begrudge anyone that is successful. They have probably worked harder and sacrificed more than I have to get to where they are. I admire my doctor because I know I could not have given up so much of my life the same way he did.There once was, and should be again, some degree of shame in going to a store with food stamps. Now, people hold their head high knowing that it's my money they are using to buy their steak and shrimp.
    I have a question for you then, and I encourage you to think deeply about your response. Do you begrudge any of the pro athlete that gets paid millions? If your answer is yes (feel free to say "no" to disprove my point, but if even a tiny bit of you does begrudge them, look inside and ask yourself why), then I hate to tell you, but that makes you a hypocrite. I personally think they're also put on an unnecessary pedestal and are incorrectly classified as role models by our misguided society. Our society values material wealth much more than it should and it also mistakenly equates hard work with success. Sure hard work can sometimes translate to success, but that's not always the case. Opportunity is probably a bigger indicator of success than hard work. Maybe in the past hard work meant success, but not anymore, not in the age of nepotism and cronyism. Again, GWB would not have become president if not for his father's money. His success probably had 10% to do with hard work, and 90% to do with his father's wallet.
    A895 and msndrstood like this.
    03-31-2014 07:33 PM
    So the government should be supporting charities? Or supporting the people who the charities are for?
    Neither. The government's job isn't to pick winners and losers like that.

How much money does one person need to feel safe and secure while their fellow man starves and struggles to make ends meet?
    Why is always all our or nothing with your side?
    03-31-2014 07:43 PM
    I have a question for you then, and I encourage you to think deeply about your response. Do you begrudge any of the pro athlete that gets paid millions? If your answer is yes (feel free to say "no" to disprove my point, but if even a tiny bit of you does begrudge them, look inside and ask yourself why), then I hate to tell you, but that makes you a hypocrite. I personally think they're also put on an unnecessary pedestal and are incorrectly classified as role models by our misguided society. Our society values material wealth much more than it should and it also mistakenly equates hard work with success. Sure hard work can sometimes translate to success, but that's not always the case. Opportunity is probably a bigger indicator of success than hard work. Maybe in the past hard work meant success, but not anymore, not in the age of nepotism and cronyism. Again, GWB would not have become president if not for his father's money. His success probably had 10% to do with hard work, and 90% to do with his father's wallet.
    I honestly do not think I can begrudge anyone for their pay as long as it was a fairly negotiated rate. Pro athletes make very large sacrifices to get to where they are. I know that even in high school, the most serious players are up and on the practice field before the sun rises on most days and train well into the night most nights. This intensifies when they move on to college and only the best move on to professional levels. When you consider how short a major league career is and how few get endorsement deals to continue the pay after their body is shot, I think they may be paid fairly for their efforts.

Out of curiosity, how much longer will we have to listen to the failings of GWB before we can move on to the failings of the current administration. I know there must be a time limit because we eventually stopped talking about Carter and Clinton.
    03-31-2014 07:57 PM
    Neither. The government's job isn't to pick winners and losers like that.

Why is always all our or nothing with your side?
    Maybe because Life is all or nothing.

03-31-2014 07:58 PM
    If EBT went away tomorrow, could you feel good about our government if a number of people starved to death because of it or the rise in crime rate? Because these "handouts" help feed a lot of people. I remember being on food stamps with my mother and it was the only way we had food on the table and she worked two jobs. I sickens me people like you and others think a large number of people just sit around waiting on food stamps when it is one of the reasons why people can get by.

msndrstood likes this.
    03-31-2014 08:02 PM
    Maybe because Life is all or nothing.
    That just made no sense in regards to the current topic(s). No one's life is solely dependent on the prosperity of someone else. It's like was mentioned earlier...

This is very common for liberals. Their argument is that if you're not for government control, you are for nihilism. They seem to think that government is the only answer to societal problems. If you say you don't believe in food stamps, you must want children starving in the streets. If you don't believe in abortion, you want women burdened with unwanted pregnancies and dying from complications. If you don't want the TSA in airports, you just want to open the doors for all the terrorists. The list is never ending.
    toober and Serial Fordicator like this.
    03-31-2014 08:13 PM
    If EBT went away tomorrow, could you feel good about our government if a number of people starved to death because of it or the rise in crime rate? Because these "handouts" help feed a lot of people. I remember being on food stamps with my mother and it was the only way we had food on the table and she worked two jobs. I sickens me people like you and others think a large number of people just sit around waiting on food stamps when it is one of the reasons why people can get by.

Maybe if the government was only doing the stuff it was supposed to, there would be more money in people's paychecks that could be used for helping others. You said earlier that if you made more money, you would be happy to pay more taxes. What if, instead of paying more taxes, YOU got the chance to decide where your money went? Wouldn't it be better if you could reach into your pocket and directly help the struggling single parent in your neighborhood? Wouldn't you feel better if you knew the person and were sure that the money would go to feeding the kids and not converted to cash off an EBT card and spent on lotto tickets? I understand that there is a need for charity but I feel that charity is better served on a local level through churches and civic groups. While I empathize with those on public assistance, I come from a very poor family, I do not feel it is the place of government to provide for them.
    03-31-2014 08:18 PM
    Maybe if the government was only doing the stuff it was supposed to, there would be more money in people's paychecks that could be used for helping others. You said earlier that if you made more money, you would be happy to pay more taxes. What if, instead of paying more taxes, YOU got the chance to decide where your money went? Wouldn't it be better if you could reach into your pocket and directly help the struggling single parent in your neighborhood? Wouldn't you feel better if you knew the person and were sure that the money would go to feeding the kids and not converted to cash off an EBT card and spent on lotto tickets? I understand that there is a need for charity but I feel that charity is better served on a local level through churches and civic groups. While I empathize with those on public assistance, I come from a very poor family, I do not feel it is the place of government to provide for them.
    So a generalization about what is done with food stamps is your argument? Generalizing does not help at all. Especially considering more Caucasians are on food stamps than minorities. If I make six figures I don't really care where the tax money goes, its taxes. If it went to making a death star I wouldn't care.

03-31-2014 08:27 PM
    That just made no sense in regards to the current topic(s). No one's life is solely dependent on the prosperity of someone else. It's like was mentioned earlier...
    If someone depends on governments programs to live, yeah it is Dependant on others.

03-31-2014 08:28 PM
    If I make six figures I don't really care where the tax money goes, its taxes. If it went to making a death star I wouldn't care.
    :rolleyes:
    If someone depends on governments programs to live, yeah it is Dependant on others.
    If your entire life is dependent on what government can give you, you have much bigger problems than how much someone else makes.
    03-31-2014 08:34 PM
    So a generalization about what is done with food stamps is your argument? Generalizing does not help at all.
    And your anecdote about how food stamps saved your life is proof enough? If we are relying on personal accounts, I have seen enough fraud and abuse of the system to end it ten times over. I am not interested in the people that have been helped or the people that have committed fraud. The simple fact is that a person's existence does not give them any claim on the product of another person's labor.

Especially considering more Caucasians are on food stamps than minorities.
    In other words, "I have no real argument to make, let's quickly switch the topic to racism".

If I make six figures I don't really care where the tax money goes, its taxes. If it went to making a death star I wouldn't care.
    So, "I don't care what they do as long as I gots mines"?
    03-31-2014 08:46 PM
    Well you do have to consider that it's always easy to say what to do with other people's money.
    03-31-2014 08:50 PM
    And your anecdote about how food stamps saved your life is proof enough? If we are relying on personal accounts, I have seen enough fraud and abuse of the system to end it ten times over. I am not interested in the people that have been helped or the people that have committed fraud. The simple fact is that a person's existence does not give them any claim on the product of another person's labor.

In other words, "I have no real argument to make, let's quickly switch the topic to racism".

Forget the race part then. If I'm rich yeah I would not care where the taxes went. I am still not seeing the problem there.

03-31-2014 09:06 PM
    :rolleyes:

If your entire life is dependent on what government can give you, you have much bigger problems than how much someone else makes.
    True. But a government does not look when it allows its people to live in squalor. Government programs help a lot of people out regardless of those who abuse the system. That's like punishing the whole class when only one or two kids are making all the trouble.

msndrstood and rexxman like this.
    03-31-2014 09:08 PM
401 ... 23456 ...