04-10-2014 12:20 PM
91 1234
tools
    :what:

I wasn't hitting their full time due to school (or did you stop reading at when I said I got 35 hrs?), but outside of school I could. I worked a total of 4 different Wal-Mart's, and had similar results at each. Granted, you can argue about the number of employees on the floor, or lack thereof, but hrs were available for those willing to work for it. It also wasn't meant to be a career path for me, so I wasn't planning to move up into management and such.

So no, I didn't prove your point and you're trying to put words in my keyboard.
    04-06-2014 02:23 PM
    :what:

I wasn't hitting their full time due to school (or did you stop reading at when I said I got 35 hrs?), but outside of school I could. I worked a total of 4 different Wal-Mart's, and had similar results at each. Granted, you can argue about the number of employees on the floor, or lack thereof, but hrs were available for those willing to work for it. It also wasn't meant to be a career path for me, so I wasn't planning to move up into management and such.

So no, I didn't prove your point and you're trying to put words in my keyboard.
    Again did they offer full time?
    Chances are no.
    You also are not getting around the fact companies are preventing people from going full time and being full time employees.
    You also failed to address the fact employers have been disrespecting employees for a long time.

You have yet to explain the record profits and layoff. the business political climate does work as that proves the disrespect.

So you have something better?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    04-06-2014 02:37 PM
    You have yet to explain the record profits and layoff. the business political climate does work as that proves the disrespect.
    If you can name a specific company, I will do my best to find out what happened with them. The company I work for has been posting record profits and expanding benefits for employees for the past several years. We had very good healthcare until just this year when the ACA forced us to choose between a lower plan or pay a 40% increase.
    04-06-2014 03:04 PM
    Again did they offer full time?
    Chances are no.
    When I was available for full time, the stores I worked in did. I can't answer for the current policies.

You also are not getting around the fact companies are preventing people from going full time and being full time employees.
    You also failed to address the fact employers have been disrespecting employees for a long time.

So you have something better?
    I already addressed your respect question. Just because you didn't like my answer doesn't invalidate it. The profits and layoff issue is more than simply respect. It's decades of problems that lead to this point from corporate lobbying and political paybacks. The Fair Tax plan I keep bringing up would go a long way to ending that as I've said before. Sorry, you're not going to get a "let's legislate it away" answer from me when legislation is what caused the problem in the first place.
    04-06-2014 03:07 PM

I already addressed your respect question. Just because you didn't like my answer doesn't invalidate it. The profits and layoff issue is more than simply respect. It's decades of problems that lead to this point from corporate lobbying and political paybacks. The Fair Tax plan I keep bringing up would go a long way to ending that as I've said before. Sorry, you're not going to get a "let's legislate it away" answer from me when legislation is what caused the problem in the first place.
    I am not going to get into the fair tax debate again.
    But the fact that you think politics is the reason they do that is just plain stupid. Sorry but no, fact is the business in general value profit over respecting the employee's. Claiming that is the climate is guess what the proof of it. The entire climate is screw the employee's for more profit.
    I am not sure how you think that is the excuse. Sorry that is more proof that the entire culture is that way.

If you think the fair tax would change that is well clueless as they again would value profit over employees. If that mean laying them off for more profit so be it.
    Companies wonder why employees are not loyal any more. Guess what companies stop being loyal to employees first. They did it to themselves. They have to earn it back first.
    Basically your excuse is bs and more proof of my statement.

04-06-2014 03:47 PM
    I am not going to get into the fair tax debate again.
    But the fact that you think politics is the reason they do that is just plain stupid. Sorry but no, fact is the business in general value profit over respecting the employee's. Claiming that is the climate is guess what the proof of it. The entire climate is screw the employee's for more profit.
    I am not sure how you think that is the excuse. Sorry that is more proof that the entire culture is that way.

If you think the fair tax would change that is well clueless as they again would value profit over employees. If that mean laying them off for more profit so be it.
    Companies wonder why employees are not loyal any more. Guess what companies stop being loyal to employees first. They did it to themselves. They have to earn it back first.
    Basically your excuse is bs and more proof of my statement.

So companies should exist solely for the purpose of creating jobs for those that need them? And the primary goal of the employer is to make sure the employees are content?

If not for profit, why would anyone open or invest in any business? Are you suggesting that businesses operate at a loss as long as they keep their employees happy and well paid?
    04-06-2014 04:06 PM
    You will have to elaborate on that a bit. Which part of the post in too far?
    Not letting people work more than one job. That's not right. In america we retain the right to do what we want economically.

Posted via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    04-06-2014 04:19 PM
    That must be the life. Full time pay for part time work, it just don't get any better than that. Until you start to look at what they are paying for things, that is.

Cost of Living in France
    Prices in France

So their 30 hours a week doesn't buy anywhere near what your 40 hours buys here. You are, in essence, comparing apples to oranges.
    I am not comparing apples to oranges. I am comparing our standard of living.

It's not part time work, it's full time work. They broke the 40 hour work week barrier years ago. When the U.S. made the 40 hour work week a law business complained that they made all their profit in the last 8 hours of your 48 hour work week and the law would destroy businesses across the country and the thought of paying overtime was a death wish. Guess what they do in France with that extra 10 hours every week. They spend more time with their family and/or personal hobbies or interest. Maybe you're the type of person that puts his job and business as the number one priority in their life and your personal interest and family come second. It seems like every time I see someone in the states get asked how many hours they work, they automatically say 60 to 70 hours a week. They sure have a lot of family time working 60 to 70 hours a week, don't they? If they said less than 60 to 70 hours a week they would be considered lazy wouldn't they? That's how it works in the U.S.

I know how much it cost to live in France. My wife is French and we go to France every year. It's really not that much higher than the U.S., plus you have to factor in the exchange rate and the dollar is weak right now.
    Evilguppy likes this.
    04-06-2014 04:23 PM
    Not letting people work more than one job. That's not right. In america we retain the right to do what we want economically.

Posted via VZW Moto X or Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    Isn't that 2nd job taking away from someone else that may need it? That is a very selfish way to be, taking a job from someone else just because you want to make more money. You think you have some sort of right to work more than one job while some people don't have any work to do?
    04-06-2014 04:30 PM
    I am not comparing apples to oranges. I am comparing our standard of living.

It's not part time work, it's full time work. They broke the 40 hour work week barrier years ago. When the U.S. made the 40 hour work week a law business complained that they made all their profit in the last 8 hours of your 48 hour work week and the law would destroy businesses across the country and the thought of paying overtime was a death wish. Guess what they do in France with that extra 10 hours every week. They spend more time with their family and/or personal hobbies or interest. Maybe you're the type of person that puts his job and business as the number one priority in their life and your personal interest and family come second. It seems like every time I see someone in the states get asked how many hours they work, they automatically say 60 to 70 hours a week. They sure have a lot of family time working 60 to 70 hours a week, don't they? If they said less than 60 to 70 hours a week they would be considered lazy wouldn't they? That's how it works in the U.S.

I know how much it cost to live in France. My wife is French and we go to France every year. It's really not that much higher than the U.S., plus you have to factor in the exchange rate and the dollar is weak right now.
    The site I linked to gives the option to view the prices listed in USD. From what is there, everything looks to be almost twice what I am paying locally.

As for my priorities, my family is my first priority. That is why I work 60 hours a week, to provide for them. When my wife and I were married I told her that it was my place as a man to provide for my family and that is what I would do. She has always had the option to be a stay at home mother or work outside the home if she wanted. I may not have as much family time as someone else that works less, but I do have the satisfaction of knowing my children are provided for and my wife has the time to nurture and care for them without having to be a part time mom.
    04-06-2014 05:00 PM
    Yikes, these posts never get any better. But can someone please tell me where the $20/hour jobs are? Here in NY, you are screwed if you didn't do the whole college, masters, excellent internship thing.

And anyone arguing for a low minimum wage would do well to look at New York. For a state that charges a lot of taxes, and has a lot of democrats they're really lacking in the fair wage arena. Cost of living stinks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    palandri and A895 like this.
    04-06-2014 06:00 PM
    The site I linked to gives the option to view the prices listed in USD. From what is there, everything looks to be almost twice what I am paying locally.

As for my priorities, my family is my first priority. That is why I work 60 hours a week, to provide for them. When my wife and I were married I told her that it was my place as a man to provide for my family and that is what I would do. She has always had the option to be a stay at home mother or work outside the home if she wanted. I may not have as much family time as someone else that works less, but I do have the satisfaction of knowing my children are provided for and my wife has the time to nurture and care for them without having to be a part time mom.
    Everything isn't twice as much. It is more expensive, but not by that much and there are other factors you have to consider. First there's an exchange rate. It current takes $1.37 usd to equaled one 1 euro. Back when Clinton was in office and around the year 2000 $0.85 usd equaled 1 euro. That chart shows an inexpensive restaurant is 12 euro for a meal. I can show you places that you can get a hamburger and a coke for 5 euro. Then if you really want to save money, you can go to a Monoprix grocery store and get a ham and cheese sub for 2 euro.That chart says a pair of jeans is 85 euro. I've bought jean in France and never paid over 25 to 30 euro for jeans. Food is a bit more expensive, but they don't have processed foods loaded with chemicals and preservatives like we do. Bread last a day because it doesn't have preservatives. They have dried meat, not processed meats loaded with chemicals that can last a couple of months in your refrigerator. If you like eating and digesting preservatives and chemicals, then U.S. food is your best bet.

I glad you make your family your first priority, but wouldn't you want to spend more time with them, if it was possible? Do you have any hobbies or personal interest away from work?
    04-06-2014 06:17 PM
    Yikes, these posts never get any better. But can someone please tell me where the $20/hour jobs are? Here in NY, you are screwed if you didn't do the whole college, masters, excellent internship thing.

And anyone arguing for a low minimum wage would do well to look at New York. For a state that charges a lot of taxes, and has a lot of democrats they're really lacking in the fair wage arena. Cost of living stinks!

Didn't you say you worked in an office? Apply at every local labor union listed in your phone book for an office job. If nothings open, apply again in 3 months and then do it again. Sooner or later you'll land a job making good money and benefits.
    nolittdroid likes this.
    04-06-2014 06:20 PM
    Isn't that 2nd job taking away from someone else that may need it? That is a very selfish way to be, taking a job from someone else just because you want to make more money. You think you have some sort of right to work more than one job while some people don't have any work to do?
    Are you serious? People have worked two jobs every since the inception of the economy in the U.S. I had two jobs in high school. I had a summer job and I was just starting a job as a intern at a hospital. Both if those jobs I was one of the few actually qualified to work there because I was an honor roll student since I started high school. People actually have to qualified and get through an interview to get a job, and if someone with another job is qualified and is able to do a get interview, why not hire them?

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    Evilguppy likes this.
    04-06-2014 06:33 PM
    Are you serious? People have worked two jobs every since the inception of the economy in the U.S. I had two jobs in high school. I had a summer job and I was just starting a job as a intern at a hospital. Both if those jobs I was one of the few actually qualified to work there because I was an honor roll student since I started high school. People actually have to qualified and get through an interview to get a job, and if someone with another job is qualified and is able to do a get interview, why not hire them?

Have you not looked at the unemployment rates? There are not enough jobs to go around as it is and you want people to hoard them. It isn't the rich that's holding down the poor, it's people like you that want to have two jobs while your neighbor has none. No wonder we're in the shape we are.
    04-06-2014 06:55 PM
    Ok, that is ridiculous, sorry. Based on this, people should only take one job and then default on their bills or get government assistance because taking another job to make ends meet is selfish?
    That's absurd.
    There was a time when I worked 3 jobs to be able to pay rent and feed my kids without any assistance.
    Eventually my kids grew up and got scholarships to college, and still I worked 3 jobs to fund the rest of their tuitions and expenses.
    Life has gotten easier today, they are all self sufficient and I am now self employed, but tell me...
    Was I supposed to rely on government assistance and not send my kids to college just because taking more than one job is "selfish"?
    I'm glad I had the strength to carry through on 5 hours of sleep per night and a 7 day work week for all these years, because I made sure my children would not fall through the cracks and wind up in my situation or worse.
    If I had to, I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
    Yeah, I know, I'm selfish.
    A895 and palandri like this.
    04-06-2014 07:03 PM
    Have you not looked at the unemployment rates? There are not enough jobs to go around as it is and you want people to hoard them. It isn't the rich that's holding down the poor, it's people like you that want to have two jobs while your neighbor has none. No wonder we're in the shape we are.
    I just have to ask: are you trolling and if yes, from what planet???
    A895 likes this.
    04-06-2014 07:10 PM
    Just, stop.

Evilguppy, palandri and msndrstood like this.
    04-06-2014 07:14 PM
    Ok, that is ridiculous, sorry. Based on this, people should only take one job and then default on their bills or get government assistance because taking another job to make ends meet is selfish?
    This was addressed in an earlier post. If the pay isn't enough from one job working 40 hours or less per week, it is up to the government to make up the difference.
    Eventually my kids grew up and got scholarships to college, and still I worked 3 jobs to fund the rest of their tuitions and expenses.
    If you were not working more than your fair share, it would have been much easier to get financial aid for those children. It isn't your sole responsibility to raise your children, one of the basic foundations of our society is that I am my brother's keeper.
    Was I supposed to rely on government assistance and not send my kids to college just because taking more than one job is "selfish"?
    Yes

I'm glad I had the strength to carry through on 5 hours of sleep per night and a 7 day work week for all these years, because I made sure my children would not fall through the cracks and wind up in my situation or worse.
    According to palandri, you should have been at home with your children.
    04-06-2014 07:24 PM
    ...According to palandri, you should have been at home with your children.
    Don't misquote me.
    msndrstood and A895 like this.
    04-06-2014 07:29 PM
    Ok, it's official: Toober is trolling. LOL.

And that is NOT what Palandri said, btw. But go ahead and twist all the facts you want, this thread is now a trolling feast, anyway.
    04-06-2014 07:30 PM
    Don't misquote me.
    I am not sure I misquoted you, simply inferred an opinion from an earlier post.

t's not part time work, it's full time work. They broke the 40 hour work week barrier years ago. When the U.S. made the 40 hour work week a law business complained that they made all their profit in the last 8 hours of your 48 hour work week and the law would destroy businesses across the country and the thought of paying overtime was a death wish. Guess what they do in France with that extra 10 hours every week. They spend more time with their family and/or personal hobbies or interest. Maybe you're the type of person that puts his job and business as the number one priority in their life and your personal interest and family come second. It seems like every time I see someone in the states get asked how many hours they work, they automatically say 60 to 70 hours a week. They sure have a lot of family time working 60 to 70 hours a week, don't they? If they said less than 60 to 70 hours a week they would be considered lazy wouldn't they? That's how it works in the U.S.
    Were you not saying it was wrong to put you job or business ahead of family time or personal interests?
    04-06-2014 08:00 PM

Manufacturing

You may have to do a little research on whatever industry, but most Oems in any industry pay very well. You may have to work a year or 2 as a temp, but as long as you are a respectable employee you will be permanently taken on and given great compensation. Don't get me wrong, you will work long and hard, but you will be compensated.

The permanent employees at the facility I work in start at about 23$/hour plus great benefits. If you are technically inclined, you can move into a maintenance position that starts at 27. Or if you want to move into management you can be promoted to a trainer or low level management position and then on up from there.

Long story short, if you are willing to work, manufacturing can be a place you will shine. Then again, if you are willing to work you can shine anywhere.
    nolittdroid likes this.
    04-06-2014 08:16 PM
    Lol anyone that has seen toober post before knows that his posts were sarcastic from the beginning. The fact that some on you entertained his ridiculousness as viable is amazing.
    toober likes this.
    04-06-2014 08:21 PM
    The sad part is that jobs used to be able to afford its employees a pension that they could retire with a decent life to look forward to. Now that's not even an option. Sure you could blame globalization to some extent, but our economy also benefits from slave wages that have taken those manufacturing jobs off shore as well.

To me It's the usual suspects, and with data that backs up my claim.

Compensation for chief executives at American companies grew 15 percent in 2011 after a 28 percent rise in 2010, part of a larger trend that has seen CEO pay skyrocket over the last three decades. Workers, on the other hand, have been left behind.
    Since 1978, CEO pay at American firms has risen 725 percent, more than 127 times faster than worker pay over the same time period, according to new data from the Economic Policy Institute:
    From 1978 to 2011, CEO compensation increased more than 725 percent, a rise substantially greater than stock market growth and the painfully slow 5.7 percent growth in worker compensation over the same period.
    In 1978, CEOs took home 26.5 times more than the average worker. They now make roughly 206 times more than workers, EPI found. The pay isn’t always tied to the performance of their businesses — as ThinkProgress has noted, CEOs at companies like Bank of America often pocket huge pay increases even as the company’s stock price plummets and jobs are cut.
    Workers’ wages aren’t tied to productivity either. Despite substantial gains in productivity since the 1970s, worker pay has remained flat. According to Labor Department data cited by the Huffington Post, inflation-adjusted wages fell 2 percent in 2011.
    As a result, American income inequality has skyrocketed, growing worse than it is in countries like Pakistan and Ivory Coast. Wealth inequality is worse than it was even in Ancient Rome. And, as pay skyrockets and tax rates fall for the richest Americans, the rising inequality has left the bottom 95 percent of Americans saddled with more debt than ever before.
    With salaries of those at the top rising to such levels, I will NEVER understand why people continue to insist that the "Job Creators" need even more. It is beyond logic to think that giving them more wealth (despite the fact that they've taken more for themselves) will remedy our economy. "The rich won't spend money (if you've bothered to look, they are well taken care of), so lets just go ahead and give them MORE money that they WON'T spend".......If that's the logic you choose to subscribe to, then I have news for you, you're illogical.
    palandri and A895 like this.
    04-06-2014 08:32 PM
91 1234